Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 06:22:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitfinex HACKED - funds stolen !  (Read 32113 times)
20kevin20
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1597

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 07:48:33 PM

This puts a lt of newbies and other lay people off bitcoin because they feel vulnerable that their funds can be easily stolen, especially those who are not very tech savvy. This is such a shame really and this hacking was responsible for the latest price drop in bitcoin.

Or the owner ran away with the money. Maybe he will restore the website for a second phase of the 'hack' like HashOcean did. It's easy to get rich through this, while making most of the users poor in a split second.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
qyzackk

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 07:56:37 PM

This puts a lt of newbies and other lay people off bitcoin because they feel vulnerable that their funds can be easily stolen, especially those who are not very tech savvy. This is such a shame really and this hacking was responsible for the latest price drop in bitcoin.

Or the owner ran away with the money. Maybe he will restore the website for a second phase of the 'hack' like HashOcean did. It's easy to get rich through this, while making most of the users poor in a split second.
Fraudsters administration itself and simply deceived all users, alleging that it was breaking.
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 08:05:45 PM

BFXcoins:

phieiph

Activity: 251
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 10:07:22 PM

This is a simple fraud. And not without exchange control. Someone received a good money.
mayax (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 10:54:50 PM

and their clients are saying NOTHING. They are happy with that. No lawsuit... Smiley
Daneric

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 09:02:29 AM

And bitfinex says they haven't established the cause of the hack; I smell a rat here;

http://www.coindesk.com/bitfinex-most-user-funds-offline/
ph4nt0m

Activity: 591
Merit: 501

Scavenger of Crypto Sorrow

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 09:47:42 AM
Last edit: August 22, 2016, 12:10:33 PM by ph4nt0m

And bitfinex says they haven't established the cause of the hack; I smell a rat here;

Are you surprised? It was an inside job like at Cryptsy. I wonder this exchange is still in business, though their trade volume keeps going down. Sell their IOUs, withdraw everything and stay away.
Trade-Winds

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 10:17:22 AM

Glad that I completely moved funds from Bitfinex to CEX.IO before all this happened. And as cex offers 0% fee for makers now, I'll stay here, at least for some time.

Want to invest in bitcoins?

Find out how to do it today here
sweeeter

Activity: 242

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 01:09:30 PM

Glad that I completely moved funds from Bitfinex to CEX.IO before all this happened. And as cex offers 0% fee for makers now, I'll stay here, at least for some time.

Until they have enough funds on their books from all the greedy people that doesnt want to pay the small meaningless fees.
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 04:45:34 PM

Until they have enough funds on their books from all the greedy people that doesnt want to pay the small meaningless fees.

it is only the "makers" fee which is zero while the "takers " fee is still the old 0.2% there. and this small meaningless fees become a lot if you are not trading with 0.01BTC capital. for those big traders with larger volumes this is going to accumulate to a considerable amount.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
wxa7115

Activity: 2702
Merit: 704

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 05:22:46 PM

I am glad that you could get your funds out of reach of those people, to me this seems a scam of major proportions.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
XCASH
Legendary

Activity: 929
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 12:09:38 AM

Are you surprised? It was an inside job like at Cryptsy. I wonder this exchange is still in business, though their trade volume keeps going down. Sell their IOUs, withdraw everything and stay away.

Cryptsy kept running for a year and a half after it was hacked, and Gox kept running for years after its hack. Bitfinex might keep on running on low volume for a long time, or it might rapidly close. Whatever it does I'd stay away from it.
zenitzz

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 05:07:21 AM

it is only the "makers" fee which is zero while the "takers " fee is still the old 0.2% there. and this small meaningless fees become a lot if you are not trading with 0.01BTC capital. for those big traders with larger volumes this is going to accumulate to a considerable amount.
I guess all exchange sites give 0% for makers and for taker every site have different fee, i guess fee for taker are important, it doesn't mean because you get profit then fee for trade isn't important.
starmman
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1029

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 09:51:08 AM

Cryptsy kept running for a year and a half after it was hacked, and Gox kept running for years after its hack. Bitfinex might keep on running on low volume for a long time, or it might rapidly close. Whatever it does I'd stay away from it.

I'm also keeping well clear of bitfinex. I created an account but never deposited anything to it. Very glad I didn't now.
XCASH
Legendary

Activity: 929

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 09:58:00 AM

I'm also keeping well clear of bitfinex. I created an account but never deposited anything to it. Very glad I didn't now.

If Bitfinex can't establish what the vulnerability was that led to the hack there's nothing to stop it getting hacked again. It can't fix holes in its system if it can't even figure out what the holes were.
jonsi
Legendary

Activity: 1397
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 11:54:01 AM

I was a big supporter of Bitfinex and I personaly brought 30+ users to the exchange through my thread in a local board, where I explained and answer questions about how the exchange work, how you can short BTC, open and close positions, borrow money, etc, etc... It is true that the referral bonus was nice too, but I honestly belived in this exchange.

The first sign for me that thing are not as they appear to be (to be more precise, I first started to think that if they make a mystake, they will not take responsability for it, but try to blame anyone else), was when they messed up the code and a lot of users lost a lot of money because the server was lagging and when trying to close a position (by pressing the close button), what the exchange did, was to open and close the same position multiple times. They caled this "order stacking" and blamed the user for pressing the close button multiple times. In that moment I withdrew most of my funds and warn everyone to be very carefully with Bitfinex.

Now, I advise everyone to stay away from Bitfinex. I'm sorry for everyone that lost money because of the so called "hack".
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2016, 08:37:17 AM

Giving everyone shares in Bitfinex to cover their losses is actually a great idea, if you are Bitfinex directors and existing shareholders.

The mechanism they have gone for gives an incentive to everyone affected to keep using the exchange and promoting it to friends and thus avoids the potential for a run on the exchange.

It doesn't fix the underlying problems, so in time everyone will be able to own a piece of Finex.

jonsi
Legendary

Activity: 1397
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 02, 2016, 09:21:58 AM

Giving everyone shares in Bitfinex to cover their losses is actually a great idea, if you are Bitfinex directors and existing shareholders.

The mechanism they have gone for gives an incentive to everyone affected to keep using the exchange and promoting it to friends and thus avoids the potential for a run on the exchange.

It doesn't fix the underlying problems, so in time everyone will be able to own a piece of Finex.

Yes, this is true, but this is not the main problem. The problem is the lack of transparency. It doesn't help out to own a piece of something that you can't get information about. There are BIG questions unanswered, like: How the hack occured?

And promoting something that you don't trust, for your own benefit, is morally wrong. If we don't know how the hack occured, we don't know that it will not happen again.

So, until we have the full story about this "hack", I maintain my position of not trusting Bitfinex.
drwtsn32

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 02, 2016, 09:51:21 AM

Yeah right. An inside job was the most probable cause, I believe. Who else know the mechanics of the company more than anyone? Of course someone who is employed by them. Too bad.
mayax (OP)
Legendary

Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 02, 2016, 09:57:26 AM

Yes, this is true, but this is not the main problem. The problem is the lack of transparency. It doesn't help out to own a piece of something that you can't get information about. There are BIG questions unanswered, like: How the hack occured?

And promoting something that you don't trust, for your own benefit, is morally wrong. If we don't know how the hack occured, we don't know that it will not happen again.

So, until we have the full story about this "hack", I maintain my position of not trusting Bitfinex.

what is amazing is that their clients didn't sue them Smiley   it's unbelievable. I know people who lost over 40% from their funds. Yes, they got those shit tokens but they had to sell them for 0.30. Smiley

Bitfinex is a scam and illegal company which is continuing its shit business without any problem. 70 MIL USD disappeared and it seems that it's OK !  LOL

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 »
  Print  

Jump to: