Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:19:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  
Author Topic: First BFL ASIC!  (Read 58260 times)
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 06:57:43 PM

and some people do not understand sarcasm.  Wink

How am I supposed to know you're not actually stupid enough to believe that?  Cheesy Tongue

Sarcasm is hard to pick up on sometimes in written dialog unless it is blatantly obvious, it's not that I don't understand it..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
needbmw
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1008

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 06:59:22 PM

They are not shipping...

People don't understand that BFL shipping a PROTOTYPE to a BFL EMPLOYEE doesn't mean they are actually shipping finished products to customers yet.
I think ngzhang in the same way silently "shipped" his first Avalon to Yifu back in 2012  Grin
(or vice versa)

NO PSAKING!
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 06:59:49 PM

and some people do not understand sarcasm.  Wink

How am I supposed to know you're not actually stupid enough to believe that?  Cheesy Tongue

Sarcasm is hard to pick up sometimes in written conversation unless it is blatantly obvious..

Thought the 500, was a dead give away.   If they were "shipping", there would be 299 photos up today (unless they have lied about being able to make 500, sorry 300 units a day.

100%digital

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 07:07:59 PM

if BFL does ship, avalon batch 3 ROI is gonna be game over.
Nancarrow

Activity: 492
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 07:09:33 PM
Last edit: April 01, 2013, 07:52:52 PM by Nancarrow

Disclaimer: I DO have a stake in the BoB bet; I bet a quite considerable amount for it (i.e. they would NOT ship). Obviously I would greatly prefer that this bet outcome is decided as true.

Having said that, I can see arguments for each side. I will be furious if the bet is decided as false. But others will be furious if it decided as true. If it is false, BFL have only 'delivered' in the most profoundly weaselly way possible.

75% rate? It gets 78%. 3 freakin' points over the minimum requirement. And ONLY if you look at the average for the most recent time interval, not a few hours.

It wasn't 'shipped', it was kept at BFL labs. But the word shipped is only in the title, not the main text. So it may not count.

The bet condition specifies 'before April 1st'. So the cgminer output shows... March the goatfucking 31st. At 17 horsefisting minutes to midnight.

Someone needs to post pictures 'before April 1st'. So Luke does it at 36 minutes past midnight on April 1st, and says 'as of yesterday' as soon as he possibly can. So we can all have a good long wank about timezones.

At the end of the bet the event deadline is 'April 1, 2013 end of day Eastern Time'. But the main text says 'before April 1st'. So do we go by the main bet text or the 'Event Date' field in the Info section? If the latter takes precedence over the former, does the word 'shipped' in the title also overrule the bet text? If not, why not?

The poster cannot be a BFL employee. So it apparently 'belongs' (see next point) to someone who is not technically an employee in the strictest sense. Though it seems to me that 'independent contractor who writes the software that BFL have stated is part of the product' makes this a distinction without a difference.

It's clearly the same setup as previously posted videos from BFL. But Luke insists it's his unit. Even though it's in BFL labs. Why, it's almost as if someone from BFL labs phoned Luke up a few minutes before midnight and said 'Hey Luke... the prototype we've just barely got working in our labs. It's yours! But we need a favour in return...'

The bet concerns 'the 3 Butterfly Labs Bitforce SC products'. What's on the photo is clearly not any of the finished products. Or at least it had better fucking well not be. But, maybe it's what will go inside a Single.

The power draw is a fucking joke, FAR above what BFL promised. But the bet doesn't mention power.

The unit has tons of hardware errors and likely as not will fail within a week. But the bet doesn't say it can't be a lemon.

It sure looks like two units, so the stated hashrate would mean they've failed the 75% criterion. But... maybe only one unit is hashing?

The bet text requires 'at least one BFL customer'. And so we get... one. Can't argue with that. One is 'at least one'. SOME people might expect that given that BFL have THOUSANDS of preorders, the number of confirmed working ASICS shipped to customers ought to be at least... say... two. Preferably two thousand. But 1>=1. Why work to please your customers when you can work to weasel a bet?

[ETA: further points - how reliable is Luke? Given that the photos were taken by Josh at BFL, how credible does that make them? The only independent confirmation we have is from LUKE'S FUCKING POOL. Not exactly 'independent'... oh, but then, it's not technically his pool anymore. But he still advises on it and has software access]

So it's pretty fucking clear that BFL have certainly failed the *spirit* of the bet, even if they've followed the *letter*, and even that is debatable. As was said earlier, this stupid fucking thread cannot be taken to mean that BFL have stepped up to the plate. It's a cheap fucking stunt because they were shitting their pants about losing money on the bet, so they looked carefully at all minutiae to see if they could pull a fast one.

Whilst I would be happiest to win the bet, an acceptable alternative, and probably the best for all concerned, would be for BetsOfBitcoin to annul the bet and give EVERYONE on both sides their money back. And then go visit BFL labs and take a dump in all of their coffee mugs.

[ETA2: of course all this assumes that the devices shown are NOT just FPGA singles with the covers off. If they are then the bet's unquestionably true]

If I've said anything amusing and/or informative and you're feeling generous:
1GNJq39NYtf7cn2QFZZuP5vmC1mTs63rEW
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 07:09:51 PM

why not throw up some simple math to back your point?

100%digital

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 07:18:15 PM

why not throw up some simple math to back your point?

am i doing it right?

DataPlumber

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 07:29:24 PM

Whilst I would be happiest to win the bet, an acceptable alternative, and probably the best for all concerned, would be for BetsOfBitcoin to annul the bet and give EVERYONE on both sides their money back. And then go visit BFL labs and take a dump in all of their coffee mugs.
Seconded.

glendall
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1018

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 07:38:27 PM

So it's pretty fucking clear that BFL have certainly failed the *spirit* of the bet, even if they've followed the *letter*, and even that is debatable.

That's a great way of putting it. That's the succinct version of what I was trying to say.

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
tonto

Activity: 609

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 07:55:49 PM

I'm starting to get irritated because now all I see is the difficulty going up up up from the Avalons, and by the time we get ours, we'll earn like one btc per month. Smiley
Shadow383

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 08:04:26 PM

Protip: When a "manufacturer" of a product that's already 6 months late thinks that posting faked shots of something that they've got millions of dollars in waiting pre-orders on for an April Fools is funny, they're probably not a company you want to be dealing with.
ionux

Activity: 140

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 08:05:40 PM

The case can be made that what Luke has is an engineering sample.  It works, pretty much, but it's not the final product and certainly not what is shipped to customers.  So, based on that, BFL has not shipped an ASIC product.  Simply giving a developer access to pre-release harware is just that - pre-release.

IMHO, shipping a product means that a completely functional, packaged product was transmitted to a paying customer via FedEx, UPS, DHL, USPS, etc..., and not loaned a barely-working unit to a developer working on a program for them.

CoinPrice.US - Current market prices in a clean, ad-free interface.  API available for adding Bitcoin prices to your site!  |  Escrow service: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=502569.0  |  Reputation thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=494163  |  Public key: http://coinprice.us/public_key.txt  |  URL shortener project: http://10b.us  Cheesy
Nancarrow

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 08:09:13 PM

Protip: When a "manufacturer" of a product that's already 6 months late thinks that posting faked shots of something that they've got millions of dollars in waiting pre-orders on for an April Fools is funny, they're probably not a company you want to be dealing with.

If this IS an April Fool's joke then I hope Luke dies painfully of cancer this year.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 08:21:41 PM

I'm starting to get irritated because now all I see is the difficulty going up up up from the Avalons, and by the time we get ours, we'll earn like one btc per month. Smiley
Avalon would have to ship ~ 180,000 units in order for us to only get 1 BTC/month with a BFL SC Single.
Kaega

Activity: 158

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 08:22:51 PM

If this IS an April Fool's joke then I hope Luke dies painfully of cancer this year.

No, I'd want to get him a "Super Troll" plaque award he can take pictures with actual products.

Protect your coin: Buy a Treznor
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 08:25:16 PM

They are not shipping...

People don't understand that BFL shipping a PROTOTYPE to a BFL EMPLOYEE doesn't mean they are actually shipping finished products to customers yet.
I think ngzhang in the same way silently "shipped" his first Avalon to Yifu back in 2012  Grin
(or vice versa)

Except the Avalon was actually "shipped" in basically the same form as retail units and Jeff is not a contractor at the least and employee at the most.  Last and the most important point, he never truly took possession of the unit, so it was really just a photo-op to win a bet that they clearly didn't win.  

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
tonto

Activity: 609

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 08:42:45 PM

Avalon would have to ship ~ 180,000 units in order for us to only get 1 BTC/month with a BFL SC Single.

Well yeah, that's kind of what I'm getting at.  Smiley   A little light humor, but at the current rate of developments... Wink
Nancarrow

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 08:43:18 PM

Hey, retards! Be happy that BFL actualy got ASIC that hashes. It is prototype, it sucks, but BFL could be gonne long ago, delivering nothing at all.
I'm still seeing no respect given whatsoever. 10cm cube is the same deal as big tower noisy machine delivering the same hashrate, right? Fuck off.

You know, I actually AM happy that BFL have got an ASIC that hashes, even if it's a sucky prototype. It means the order I placed for a single was actually worthwhile. But 'respect' is a little too much to ask for. And the idea that we should be thankful they didn't run off into the sunset... well, I've *heard* of Stockholm Syndrome, but I don't (yet) have it.

(Three months from now, I'll probably be nursing a black eye and broken arm, saying 'but I know BFL really loves me, and he was so funny and charming when we first met, and I shouldn't have provoked him by sending all those bitcoins'...)

meowmeowbrowncow

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 08:45:22 PM

Hey, retards! Be happy that BFL actualy got ASIC that hashes. It is prototype, it sucks, but BFL could be gonne long ago, delivering nothing at all.
I'm still seeing no respect given whatsoever. 10cm cube is the same deal as big tower noisy machine delivering the same hashrate, right? Fuck off.

You know, I actually AM happy that BFL have got an ASIC that hashes, even if it's a sucky prototype. It means the order I placed for a single was actually worthwhile. But 'respect' is a little too much to ask for. And the idea that we should be thankful they didn't run off into the sunset... well, I've *heard* of Stockholm Syndrome, but I don't (yet) have it.

(Three months from now, I'll probably be nursing a black eye and broken arm, saying 'but I know BFL really loves me, and he was so funny and charming when we first met, and I shouldn't have provoked him by sending all those bitcoins'...)

Nailed it.

"Bitcoin has been an amazing ride, but the most fascinating part to me is the seemingly universal tendency of libertarians to immediately become authoritarians the very moment they are given any measure of power to silence the dissent of others."  - The Bible
Vagnavs
Legendary

Activity: 1121
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 09:28:52 PM

stupid post by the Op.  Definitely not something a professional company should do.  Even if it is April fools day.  But they haven't been professional to begin with, so nothing new..

Avalanche is a must own
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  

Jump to: