Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:30:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Offering PayPal for Bitcoin? You're likely to be labeled a scammer - Read why  (Read 28800 times)
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 08:59:59 PM

This question was already asked in this thread, but I didn't find an answer.
Is this site a SCAM?
http://bcchanger.com/

The site is used by scammers for the most part, but the owner didn't create it to scam users.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 09:01:01 PM

BTC-E is trustable, right?

I've done a little bit of BTC <-> LTC there and haven't had any issues... just a high withdraw fee on LTC (0.5)
Dennichio

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 09:33:26 PM

I still don't get why one shouldn't use paypal to buy bitcoins.. if you can prove you sent the bitcoins, paypal will never sent the money back to the buyer..
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 09:47:30 PM

I still don't get why one shouldn't use paypal to buy bitcoins.. if you can prove you sent the bitcoins, paypal will never sent the money back to the buyer..

If you can prove you sent the bitcoins and the buyer doesn't claim they were hacked, then PayPal can shut down both accounts for violating their AUP.
Prohibited Activities

You may not use the PayPal service for activities that:
(h) involve currency exchanges

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 11:57:20 PM

Plus the person can always claim their paypal account was hacked.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 09:15:09 PM

Nice tip, thanks.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
MauroPicotto

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 06:58:58 PM

What about gift paypal paments? Quick easy no seller commision and unreversible
When these payments are sent to you from an account that has been hacked into and the original owner complains, or the payment is funded with a stolen or disputed credit card, you'll find out quickly how reversible PayPal is. PayPal isn't going to be left holding the bag, they pass their fraud losses on to you.

My friend just learned this the hard way. The week the BC bubble burst...he was selling coins for nearly 25% more than Gox weighted average price. I was baffled that this was happening and told him it sounds too good to be true. But they buyers kept buying and the dollar signs took over the rationale portion of his mind. They were even contacting him outside of the But It Now auctions he had listed asking for more. It was then he started realizing the poorly written English and stopped it all.

By the end of last week...I think he lost a total of $1k+ after PayPal stated that all transactions were not made by the actually account owner...bc the accounts had been hacked. PayPal had then provided an example of one of the accounts' login history...in a 48 hour period, the account had logged in multiple times from somewhere in Mumbai when the account owner actually lived in Salt Lake City, UT.
Dbn

Activity: 1

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 09:39:18 PM

When these payments are sent to you from an account that has been hacked into and the original owner complains, or the payment is funded with a stolen or disputed credit card, you'll find out quickly how reversible PayPal is. PayPal isn't going to be left holding the bag, they pass their fraud losses on to you.

My friend just learned this the hard way. The week the BC bubble burst...he was selling coins for nearly 25% more than Gox weighted average price. I was baffled that this was happening and told him it sounds too good to be true. But they buyers kept buying and the dollar signs took over the rationale portion of his mind. They were even contacting him outside of the But It Now auctions he had listed asking for more. It was then he started realizing the poorly written English and stopped it all.

By the end of last week...I think he lost a total of $1k+ after PayPal stated that all transactions were not made by the actually account owner...bc the accounts had been hacked. PayPal had then provided an example of one of the accounts' login history...in a 48 hour period, the account had logged in multiple times from somewhere in Mumbai when the account owner actually lived in Salt Lake City, UT.

HaHa, That is my exact story from this week. except i live on the east coast and it was about $1.300. Ebay wouldn't even flag the accounts after paypal reversed the transaction for a unauthorized transactions.

The safest way to buy/sell coins with paypal is to NOT do it..
NeedChangeNow

Activity: 30

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 12:55:17 PM
Last edit: May 09, 2013, 12:57:17 AM by Maged

The safest way to buy/sell coins with paypal is to NOT do it..

+1

Paypal is the worst.
JigoStardroll

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 12:58:39 PM

evil PayPal forsure
aikklond
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 01:09:19 PM

so is there a safe way of liquidising our bitcoins?
Zhoy

Activity: 12

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 06:23:17 AM

A lot of good advice here. I wasn't aware PP had a policy against currency exchange, and such a high freeze rate, so I'll be sure to stay away.
WGates

Activity: 29

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 11:30:55 AM

2 weeks ago I was able to buy my first bitcoin with PayPal from an ad on https://localbitcoins.com/
I had to have a FUNDED and confirmed PayPal account.
I went to Walmart and got a MoneyPak (fee) and deposited into PayPal.
It was a little confusing but got my bitcoin same day.
Now I need to see how much it actually cost me over exchange rate.
traderv

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 04:45:33 AM

This was a great post. I learned my lesson the hard way. Thanks everyone for your contributions.
CryptoCurrencyMiners

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 05:00:36 AM

2 weeks ago I was able to buy my first bitcoin with PayPal from an ad on https://localbitcoins.com/
I had to have a FUNDED and confirmed PayPal account.
I went to Walmart and got a MoneyPak (fee) and deposited into PayPal.
It was a little confusing but got my bitcoin same day.
Now I need to see how much it actually cost me over exchange rate.

I've used localbitcoins before, and I even made a friend from it. Good service, and I can usually find coins UNDER market there.

Lazer Engraved Crypto Cards IN STOCK! http://Crypto-Cards.com  Customers Come FIRST! 100% Transparency!
SpaceCadet

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

Just mining my own business...

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:55:32 PM

This is an extremely enlightening discussion! 

I had a case where I bought a high-cost item from a source in China (REDFLAG I ignored).  Paid with PayPal (using a credit card as it's source), but never got the item (they sent a bogus tracking number).  Complained to PayPal, but they did nothing, so went to the credit card company with all of the details and they refunded the money (I'm assuming leaving PayPal holding the bag).

Other than that, I've not had a bad experience with PayPal - for 'normal' purchases.  I have learned some things here!

Cheers!
RHWN

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 06:08:39 PM

Good post #1! Was good to read Smiley
noxbayou

Activity: 25

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 01:31:24 AM

Considering the fundamental mismatch in formats, why do you think the CEO in an interview implied that Paypal may get involved with bitcoins some day down the road.
kevcoins

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 01:53:14 AM

even with tradecoin and localbitcoin is best you meet the person face to face while doing a transaction, do not trust any local seller because they will ask you to bank in the money and you will never hear from them, to many scammer and scumbag around.
sadguy

Activity: 13

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 05:38:40 AM

Ok Guys. I arrived at this topic a bit late which have costed me around 1500$

So I put BTC on eBay and it got sold within few hours. Buyer paid and his entire information was available with his phone #.

Did a google search and he have around 350+ feedback and confirmed his address. Paid him and every thing went well. he asked for 10 more and he said, he will send through Personal Payment. I read somewhere about scam and though Personal Payments cant be refunded.. But as soon as i sent him 10BTC on top of 1 BTC, he disputed and before i could even take any action, Money was refunded. also the eBay Transaction was disputed. Now i am power Seller /Top Rated seller on eBay and my transaction has got on hold.

I called them and they said, since it was not for purchase they cant do anything !  I called the police and they said, they do not deal with Cyber Crimes :S

I called the person and he got kinda confused and said he has not done anything. He has reported to FBI , Police and they are investing into that which is total crap. I have a tracker which told me that the email was opened from the same location the person is...

Interestingly I have contacts inside Paypal that can be used to investigate the issue. But since it is outside transaction I might be keeping it as last resort.

So I have all the proofs, found his entire info using google search and can buy further information. As of speaking he emailed me saying he has filed a case with FBI and my account has been locked out..

Should I start by telling him about the consequences and giving him sweet warning ?

Any Advises

Secondly, I just got two orders and received payment from them. Is it illegal to sell/purchase on eBay and if not then using eBay guidelines for virtual goods, can I be saved ? Or better I call and confirm ? I have seen few people shipping the paper with code on it. May be thats the reason for doing this ?

P.S If you are reading it, I am coming after you
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: