Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:22:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 [192] 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 ... 337 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] (QTUM) - A Scalable Smart Contract Platform w/ Proof of Stake  (Read 525257 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (36 posts by 25+ users deleted.)
Qtum (OP)

Activity: 722
Merit: 259

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2017, 01:38:26 AM

Please take a moment and read this well written blog post about the Consensus 2017 conference by Daniel Jeffries:

https://steemit.com/blockchain/@dan.jeffries1/the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-of-consensus-2017

"CoinDesk’s Consensus 2017, the blockchain and decentralized app conference of the year, is officially in the books.

It’s by far the biggest conference in the fledgling blockchain industry but it’s still tiny by tech industry standards. Mega-conferences like the Salesforce Dreamforce Summit, which pulled in 171,000 attendees and another 15 million online, dwarf it by comparison.

But the intimate nature of Consensus brings lots of advantages.

It means you’re likely to run into the CEO or lead programmer of any given company instead of the low-man-on-the-totem-pole flunky they send to hand out t-shirts at bigger industry events. It’s super easy to walk right up to a major investor or blockchain thought-leader and strike up a conversation.

As with any tech conference there’s lots of noise.

Flashy projects dominate, as do ones that copy already well understood ideas.

It’s much simpler to sell an idea to people looking to cash in on the crypto gold rush if they already have a mental framework for the concept. New ideas are harder to pitch because you’ve got a lot of explaining to do just to level set.

It’s easy for projects delivering real technological innovation to slip through the cracks.

The good news is there’s lots of innovation to be found if you know where to look.

The Good and The Bad

Let’s face it, Blockchain is still at the infrastructure development stage.

Consensus was jam packed with people hawking infrastructure. It’s as if they’re selling the Internet before Netscape. “Hey, buy some TCP/IP and some HTTPS. Get your DNS right here!” In the real world nobody gives a crap about infrastructure. It’s plumbing to them. What the world needs is a killer app, but we’re not there yet.

We haven’t hit our Netscape moment. Some folks will tell you Bitcoin is that moment, but it’s not. The Block.One CFO really nailed the reason why:

“We want to enable…decentralized applications that are indistinguishable…from the centralized alternatives.”

In other words, until apps look like any other app in the App store, nobody in the real world cares.

Few people seem to get that yet. The Block.One people, with founders who came from the BitShares and Steemit platforms, get it. It’s also a key focus for us at the Cicada project and Fermat’s Internet of People. Think of it like hybrid cars before the Prius. Up until then hybrid cars looked ugly as hell. They had weird looking frames and covers over the back wheels. Nobody wanted them. But as soon as they started making vehicles that looked like regular cars sales took off. The average person doesn’t care about the cause. They don’t care about privacy or security as John Oliver’s infamous “dick pics” interview with Snowden proved. It’s sad, but true. But if we deliver killer apps, they’ll adopt them in droves and the industry will take off.

The Block.One EOS team also hit on another point that’s killing early projects:

Nobody in the real world will pay microtransactions for everything. It’s insane. They said it best in their talk: “Imagine if you went to Amazon and it costs three cents to load the page. Nobody would do it.”

Exactly.

We need a free tier of transactions in the DecNets of the future. Microtransactions are awesome for things that have actual value. I’ve written and talked about this concept extensively, so it’s awesome to hear others who finally get it!

Speaking of the “decentralized Internet”, which is officially a mainstream term now that it’s the subject of this season’s Silicon Valley, and BlockStack came out of stealth mode with a super-secret decentralized Internet project they’ve been working on for three years. This term is poised to become so overused that it makes eyes roll in the coming years, which is a real shame, because it’s probably the right term.

I read the BlockStack paper with relish. It’s essential to read widely in this field if you want to make an impact in the early days.

The fact is no project will come up with all the ideas to build the internet of tomorrow so I eat up everything that comes out.

There’s zero doubt in my mind that the DecNet will end up as a mashup of multiple projects’ ideas, each of who end up delivering unique pieces of this complicated puzzle. Nobody can think of everything.

The best part of the BlockStack system is storage. It uses any cloud or distributed storage as a dumb backend. It simply encrypts a bunch of files and dumps it into EC2 or Google Compute as a giant blob that the cloud companies can’t decrypt. That’s a brilliant and much needed idea. It returns control of data to users and companies, hides it from the prying eyes of spies and hackers and utilizes robust infrastructure that’s already in place.

Other projects that caught my eye on the infrastructure front were Tezos, QTUM and EOS. EOS sports super high performance, on the level of Visa scale transactions, a la Ripple, free transactions and it has industry heavy hitters behind it.

QTUM sports fantastic branding, a sleek corporate website, and they managed to rack up 11,000 bitcoins in their ICO. That’s a lot of money, 15 million USD at the time, and upwards of 30 million with the continual rocketing rise of Bitcoin (hovering at $2300+ at the time of writing after a huge consortium of Bitcoin power players promised to support SegWit and a 2MB hard fork within six months).

It didn’t hurt that QTUM focused on building bridges between the two largest blockchain communities, Ethereum and Bitcoin. Their pitch is “we support the Ethereum Virtual Machine on the Bitcoin blockchain.” That tag line brought the bitcoins pouring into their hot wallets, shattering previous ICO records. In fact, if you’re looking to raise an eye-popping amount of cash for your project, it doesn’t hurt to fork any of the major projects and bridge them together with a bunch of glue code.

But their project is not all hype.

At the conference they announced a new whitepaper (that I got a sneak peak at ahead of time and that should release soon) as well as code for a governance system to fix the problems that led to the need for a Bitcoin scaling agreement in the first place. The system uses Proof of Stake and allows people to vote on changes which it enforces in the code with smart contracts and a kind of decentralized business rules system. It even has the ability to auto-generate votes so that when the 2MB block they started out with gets saturated it will call a vote to go to 3 or 4MB. That’s awesome.

Tezos is one of those projects that everyone knows about because it has big money behind it. I actually had one conference goer tell me “everyone hates Tezos because it was started by a snooty French mathematician.” Personally, I can’t stand that kind of thinking. I judge each project atomically on its merits. It lives or dies by its ideas for me.

On the down side, they failed to ICO on May 22nd because of a legal snafu. That worked for me though because I was stuck at Consensus and would have missed it anyway. It’s pushed back to June.

This write up of the current state of their code and ideas is a terrific must-read. They’re thinking about things that people are missing right now, like serious security for Proof of Stake. When I was working with the team to design the Cicada Decentralized App Platform concept in the early days of 2015, I hit upon many of the ideas that have come to pass with the modern Proof of Stake 3.0 systems powering coins like PIVX and a myriad of other alt-coins. I didn’t have the proper words for them like signer and witness, but the ideas were very close to what we are seeing in live code today. I ended up disregarding PoS because of the high probability of collusion and because it’s overly complex. I now feel the threats are mitigate-able but I’m worried that too many people have rushed to PoS with understanding the threats.

Tezos gets it.

That’s why they build an “attacker node” that acts like Netflix’s “Chaos Monkey” to constantly try to trick the network, making it stronger. This is an idea that’s taken off in AI as well, called Generative Adversarial Networks. Other projects will rapidly adopt these concepts and that’s a good thing.

Identity Without Authority

The conference also featured some big news on identity. Identity is foundational to the nets of tomorrow.

We need an ID that uniquely identifies everyone and yet paradoxically provides absolute privacy when necessary.

I’ve written a lot on this topic, so it’s one that’s near and dear to my heart. It’s the foundation of the Cicada project. It allows for a novel proof of work that limits everyone to a single miner and drafts them into random pools to secure the network.

Lots of other folks are now working this idea and they’ve united under the Decentralized Identity Foundation. I’m ecstatic to see this come to pass. It brings some serious players to the table and we’re exploring joining the foundation.

Of course, one man’s “decentralized” is another man’s “centralized.” I’ve looked at some of the ideas behind the members of the DIF and a few of them have me very concerned that they don’t really deliver a robust decentralized ecosystem, just a centralized system in sheep’s clothing.

More on that later.

But this is still very early days, so at this point they get the benefit of the doubt and we’ll see what develops.

I think this foundation can do a lot of good in the world because at least 1.5 billion people can’t get an ID. It’s a catch-22. You need an ID to get an ID. In other words you need a piece of paper that says you exist to get another piece of paper that says you exist. That’s literally insane.

The DIF has the opportunity to change all that but they need to be very, very careful that they don’t build a digital tracking system that gives totalitarian regimes the ability to hunt down and discover every single thing their many “enemies of the people” are doing. It’s a tempting for people in power to want to add centralized backdoors and choke points to everything, but when it comes to ID that’s a humanitarian disaster waiting to happen.

Do this wrong and we just built a system to enslave mankind.

Coins, Coins, Everywhere

On to the bit everyone cares about:

What coin will make me the most mulah!?!?

I have no idea. Good luck picking the winners. I have no special insight there.

What I do know is that it seems every single project needs to have a coin these days. This is absurd and needs to stop.

Even projects building a niche part of the Internet of the future are launching their own coins. These coins are useless and won’t generate a cent of value down the line. The industry needs a better way to fund these smaller projects like a decentralized Kickstarter.

For now though, coins are king. ICO fever gripped the conference, as Bitcoin continued to blow gold out of the water. A few other coins generated tremendous bursts, in particular ZCash which doubled from $100 to $200 overnight after JP Morgan announced they’re incorporating the ZCash privacy features into their enterprise blockchain.

I love Zcash but looking under the hood of this announcement tells me that this is not all it’s cracked up to be. I’m highly suspicious of JP Morgan’s motivations here. It seems to me that they and the other banks are already secretly building their own coins.

That is the exact opposite of what we need.

The cryptocoin industry represents an opportunity to break away from banks, or create decentralized banks, but if the banks develop this technology and beat other decentralized coins to building a sound economy around them, then we’re right back where we started, with banks as centralized choke points controlling everything.

Even worse, the Zcash protocol can dial security up or down. It’s like a slider. That means Zcash itself is fine but anything developed by banks will likely include backdoors for spies and regulators. Some will argue this is good because we need regulators but I think it’s a trojan horse to allow the equivalent of web hooks for the spy agencies of the world to track all transactions.

We don’t need a software version of the clipper chip for cash.

Overall, while I expect to see coins continue to proliferate, I’m not sure we need that many more unless they deliver real value.

I see coins as a baked technology.

We have coins to simulate every type of real currency in the world, from gold simulators like Bitcoin, to fast moving anonymous cash simulator currencies like PIVX, ZCash and DASH to everything in between.

What we need now is the digital economy to spend them in.

The Ugly

One thing at the conference had me burning with rage:

Patents.

Companies are trying to snap up patents on ideas that will underpin the basic functionality of the next-gen Internet. Imagine if the founders of the Internet patented TCP/IP and DNS before the net ever got off the ground?

That’s what’s happening right now.

In particular, one of the companies in the Decentralized Identity Foundation seems to have taken the patent everything approach. That company is Civic. Initially I was super excited to meet them when I picked up their flier. I spent about fifteen minutes talking to their team and I came away slightly horrified.

They’re looking to patent an utterly obvious idea that I wrote about and GPLed in Nov of 2016, which is flagging a compromised ID on the blockchain as dead. I wrote that the system could re-enroll a person who’s ID was stolen or compromised or lost and “flag any bit that labels previous biometric data as obsolete/defunct.”

Also, there’s this:

“We must prevent against Identity theft. The simplest way is with a legal system that allows a person to show up at a court and scan their iris and to verify their ownership of a HUID (human unique identifier) in the case of a dispute. If not, the ownership is transferred back to the correct owner through a flag...”

To me, patenting that is the equivalent of patenting SSL.

It’s so clearly necessary as a basic concept to decentralized identity that nobody should try to get exclusive rights to it or they risk destroying the ability to create any system that actually works without paying them a royalty which means the DecNet is screwed.

To be clear, I don’t know their intentions. They could be absolutely altruistic. They could simply be trying to get defensive patents that they would donate to a GPL licensed trust in the DIF but I don’t think that’s their goal. I will follow up to clarify with them.

But make no mistake, patents are the enemy of the next-gen of the net. The infrastructure has to be open source, patent free and agnostic. It’s as simple as that. Sadly I’m not sure we live in that world anymore. The Internet was created in a simpler time.

I’m not against patents in general. They’re absolutely necessary for people who create ideas that matter but in this case I see them as a highly destructive whirlwind gathering out to sea that can obliterate any number of projects in the works.

Worst of all, I talked to a number of folks out there piling up patents.

That breaks my heart because it could wind up absolutely killing this industry before it ever gets off the ground.

Imagine if every open source project starts getting a knock on their door asking for money every time someone conducts a transaction on the blockchain or connects a phone peer to peer?

Again that’s not a world any of us should want to see come to pass.

Conclusion

Consensus 2017 delivered a lot of innovation and a lot of noise. Sifting the two requires patience and an open mind. I have no doubt that I missed countless gold nugget technologies at the conference. There’s just too much to see and do for any one person.

If you spotted a killer technology in the crowd, post about it in the comments. Please try to keep it civil though. You never know which project is going to break out and deliver the system that we so desperately need even if it’s in an imperfect state now.

These are still early days. Coins are baked but the economy to spend them in is still developing and it will take years to come to fruition.

A lawyer from Australia who specializes in blockchain law said it best:

“I want to see something that’s done and working, not a prototype.”

I get it.

We’re just not there yet.

That’s because nobody has fully developed a working, production ready version of the decentralized Internet. There are lots of contenders but nobody ready to take the title and get their names enshrined forever in the hallowed pages of Wikipedia as the founders of Internet 2.0.

But that day is coming soon.

And maybe, just maybe, someone at that conference is already working on it."

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█ Qtum █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
●▬●▬●▬● First UTXO Based PoS Smart Contract and DAPP Platform ●▬●▬●▬●
▃▃▃▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▃▃▃
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 02:31:52 AM

do not post some shits no one can understand.
Also pls talk more about the technology.

who is take care of this thread now?

what's the difference of Qtum and Ethereum?

after the long reading, it's seems Qtum just copy everything from Ethereum?

pls explain it dev!

Don't feel like sifting through the entire 160 page long thread, but has this issue been cleared:

?

no one care about your trolls anymore,

next time, please use your senior account.

you just missed the ico.

Yea, you tell him, onetwo12! I'm glad we're in the same camp. Later, bud.  Kiss

i brought into the ico and i made 10 times profit. Cheesy

just made 10k $ from the ico.

but i think you did not?

also are they still paying you to create trolls?

better do investment rather than troll these thread.

i do not like Chinese exchange platforms....

can i buy somewhere else?

Huh

Please, pray tell, what alley you visited so to purchase your precious Qtum now worth 10X more than you paid for them.

I find it amazing how a fuckin shill gets off playing the you're-a-troll card.
[ProTrader]

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 02:45:32 AM

the one who will buy the hype at this stage will make the sellers happy, but how about the late buyers??..  Grin
iandoZ

Activity: 128
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 12:39:15 PM

QTUM is a great and serious project is more that normal that also il his value will grow...
I think that this are the last days for buy to cheap price (few day to testnet release)...then it will only be an explosion in up.

onetwo12

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 02:06:32 PM

Please take a moment and read this well written blog post about the Consensus 2017 conference by Daniel Jeffries:

https://steemit.com/blockchain/@dan.jeffries1/the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-of-consensus-2017

"CoinDesk’s Consensus 2017, the blockchain and decentralized app conference of the year, is officially in the books.

It’s by far the biggest conference in the fledgling blockchain industry but it’s still tiny by tech industry standards. Mega-conferences like the Salesforce Dreamforce Summit, which pulled in 171,000 attendees and another 15 million online, dwarf it by comparison.

But the intimate nature of Consensus brings lots of advantages.

It means you’re likely to run into the CEO or lead programmer of any given company instead of the low-man-on-the-totem-pole flunky they send to hand out t-shirts at bigger industry events. It’s super easy to walk right up to a major investor or blockchain thought-leader and strike up a conversation.

As with any tech conference there’s lots of noise.

Flashy projects dominate, as do ones that copy already well understood ideas.

It’s much simpler to sell an idea to people looking to cash in on the crypto gold rush if they already have a mental framework for the concept. New ideas are harder to pitch because you’ve got a lot of explaining to do just to level set.

It’s easy for projects delivering real technological innovation to slip through the cracks.

The good news is there’s lots of innovation to be found if you know where to look.

The Good and The Bad

Let’s face it, Blockchain is still at the infrastructure development stage.

Consensus was jam packed with people hawking infrastructure. It’s as if they’re selling the Internet before Netscape. “Hey, buy some TCP/IP and some HTTPS. Get your DNS right here!” In the real world nobody gives a crap about infrastructure. It’s plumbing to them. What the world needs is a killer app, but we’re not there yet.

We haven’t hit our Netscape moment. Some folks will tell you Bitcoin is that moment, but it’s not. The Block.One CFO really nailed the reason why:

“We want to enable…decentralized applications that are indistinguishable…from the centralized alternatives.”

In other words, until apps look like any other app in the App store, nobody in the real world cares.

Few people seem to get that yet. The Block.One people, with founders who came from the BitShares and Steemit platforms, get it. It’s also a key focus for us at the Cicada project and Fermat’s Internet of People. Think of it like hybrid cars before the Prius. Up until then hybrid cars looked ugly as hell. They had weird looking frames and covers over the back wheels. Nobody wanted them. But as soon as they started making vehicles that looked like regular cars sales took off. The average person doesn’t care about the cause. They don’t care about privacy or security as John Oliver’s infamous “dick pics” interview with Snowden proved. It’s sad, but true. But if we deliver killer apps, they’ll adopt them in droves and the industry will take off.

The Block.One EOS team also hit on another point that’s killing early projects:

Nobody in the real world will pay microtransactions for everything. It’s insane. They said it best in their talk: “Imagine if you went to Amazon and it costs three cents to load the page. Nobody would do it.”

Exactly.

We need a free tier of transactions in the DecNets of the future. Microtransactions are awesome for things that have actual value. I’ve written and talked about this concept extensively, so it’s awesome to hear others who finally get it!

Speaking of the “decentralized Internet”, which is officially a mainstream term now that it’s the subject of this season’s Silicon Valley, and BlockStack came out of stealth mode with a super-secret decentralized Internet project they’ve been working on for three years. This term is poised to become so overused that it makes eyes roll in the coming years, which is a real shame, because it’s probably the right term.

I read the BlockStack paper with relish. It’s essential to read widely in this field if you want to make an impact in the early days.

The fact is no project will come up with all the ideas to build the internet of tomorrow so I eat up everything that comes out.

There’s zero doubt in my mind that the DecNet will end up as a mashup of multiple projects’ ideas, each of who end up delivering unique pieces of this complicated puzzle. Nobody can think of everything.

The best part of the BlockStack system is storage. It uses any cloud or distributed storage as a dumb backend. It simply encrypts a bunch of files and dumps it into EC2 or Google Compute as a giant blob that the cloud companies can’t decrypt. That’s a brilliant and much needed idea. It returns control of data to users and companies, hides it from the prying eyes of spies and hackers and utilizes robust infrastructure that’s already in place.

Other projects that caught my eye on the infrastructure front were Tezos, QTUM and EOS. EOS sports super high performance, on the level of Visa scale transactions, a la Ripple, free transactions and it has industry heavy hitters behind it.

QTUM sports fantastic branding, a sleek corporate website, and they managed to rack up 11,000 bitcoins in their ICO. That’s a lot of money, 15 million USD at the time, and upwards of 30 million with the continual rocketing rise of Bitcoin (hovering at $2300+ at the time of writing after a huge consortium of Bitcoin power players promised to support SegWit and a 2MB hard fork within six months).

It didn’t hurt that QTUM focused on building bridges between the two largest blockchain communities, Ethereum and Bitcoin. Their pitch is “we support the Ethereum Virtual Machine on the Bitcoin blockchain.” That tag line brought the bitcoins pouring into their hot wallets, shattering previous ICO records. In fact, if you’re looking to raise an eye-popping amount of cash for your project, it doesn’t hurt to fork any of the major projects and bridge them together with a bunch of glue code.

But their project is not all hype.

At the conference they announced a new whitepaper (that I got a sneak peak at ahead of time and that should release soon) as well as code for a governance system to fix the problems that led to the need for a Bitcoin scaling agreement in the first place. The system uses Proof of Stake and allows people to vote on changes which it enforces in the code with smart contracts and a kind of decentralized business rules system. It even has the ability to auto-generate votes so that when the 2MB block they started out with gets saturated it will call a vote to go to 3 or 4MB. That’s awesome.

Tezos is one of those projects that everyone knows about because it has big money behind it. I actually had one conference goer tell me “everyone hates Tezos because it was started by a snooty French mathematician.” Personally, I can’t stand that kind of thinking. I judge each project atomically on its merits. It lives or dies by its ideas for me.

On the down side, they failed to ICO on May 22nd because of a legal snafu. That worked for me though because I was stuck at Consensus and would have missed it anyway. It’s pushed back to June.

This write up of the current state of their code and ideas is a terrific must-read. They’re thinking about things that people are missing right now, like serious security for Proof of Stake. When I was working with the team to design the Cicada Decentralized App Platform concept in the early days of 2015, I hit upon many of the ideas that have come to pass with the modern Proof of Stake 3.0 systems powering coins like PIVX and a myriad of other alt-coins. I didn’t have the proper words for them like signer and witness, but the ideas were very close to what we are seeing in live code today. I ended up disregarding PoS because of the high probability of collusion and because it’s overly complex. I now feel the threats are mitigate-able but I’m worried that too many people have rushed to PoS with understanding the threats.

Tezos gets it.

That’s why they build an “attacker node” that acts like Netflix’s “Chaos Monkey” to constantly try to trick the network, making it stronger. This is an idea that’s taken off in AI as well, called Generative Adversarial Networks. Other projects will rapidly adopt these concepts and that’s a good thing.

Identity Without Authority

The conference also featured some big news on identity. Identity is foundational to the nets of tomorrow.

We need an ID that uniquely identifies everyone and yet paradoxically provides absolute privacy when necessary.

I’ve written a lot on this topic, so it’s one that’s near and dear to my heart. It’s the foundation of the Cicada project. It allows for a novel proof of work that limits everyone to a single miner and drafts them into random pools to secure the network.

Lots of other folks are now working this idea and they’ve united under the Decentralized Identity Foundation. I’m ecstatic to see this come to pass. It brings some serious players to the table and we’re exploring joining the foundation.

Of course, one man’s “decentralized” is another man’s “centralized.” I’ve looked at some of the ideas behind the members of the DIF and a few of them have me very concerned that they don’t really deliver a robust decentralized ecosystem, just a centralized system in sheep’s clothing.

More on that later.

But this is still very early days, so at this point they get the benefit of the doubt and we’ll see what develops.

I think this foundation can do a lot of good in the world because at least 1.5 billion people can’t get an ID. It’s a catch-22. You need an ID to get an ID. In other words you need a piece of paper that says you exist to get another piece of paper that says you exist. That’s literally insane.

The DIF has the opportunity to change all that but they need to be very, very careful that they don’t build a digital tracking system that gives totalitarian regimes the ability to hunt down and discover every single thing their many “enemies of the people” are doing. It’s a tempting for people in power to want to add centralized backdoors and choke points to everything, but when it comes to ID that’s a humanitarian disaster waiting to happen.

Do this wrong and we just built a system to enslave mankind.

Coins, Coins, Everywhere

On to the bit everyone cares about:

What coin will make me the most mulah!?!?

I have no idea. Good luck picking the winners. I have no special insight there.

What I do know is that it seems every single project needs to have a coin these days. This is absurd and needs to stop.

Even projects building a niche part of the Internet of the future are launching their own coins. These coins are useless and won’t generate a cent of value down the line. The industry needs a better way to fund these smaller projects like a decentralized Kickstarter.

For now though, coins are king. ICO fever gripped the conference, as Bitcoin continued to blow gold out of the water. A few other coins generated tremendous bursts, in particular ZCash which doubled from $100 to $200 overnight after JP Morgan announced they’re incorporating the ZCash privacy features into their enterprise blockchain.

I love Zcash but looking under the hood of this announcement tells me that this is not all it’s cracked up to be. I’m highly suspicious of JP Morgan’s motivations here. It seems to me that they and the other banks are already secretly building their own coins.

That is the exact opposite of what we need.

The cryptocoin industry represents an opportunity to break away from banks, or create decentralized banks, but if the banks develop this technology and beat other decentralized coins to building a sound economy around them, then we’re right back where we started, with banks as centralized choke points controlling everything.

Even worse, the Zcash protocol can dial security up or down. It’s like a slider. That means Zcash itself is fine but anything developed by banks will likely include backdoors for spies and regulators. Some will argue this is good because we need regulators but I think it’s a trojan horse to allow the equivalent of web hooks for the spy agencies of the world to track all transactions.

We don’t need a software version of the clipper chip for cash.

Overall, while I expect to see coins continue to proliferate, I’m not sure we need that many more unless they deliver real value.

I see coins as a baked technology.

We have coins to simulate every type of real currency in the world, from gold simulators like Bitcoin, to fast moving anonymous cash simulator currencies like PIVX, ZCash and DASH to everything in between.

What we need now is the digital economy to spend them in.

The Ugly

One thing at the conference had me burning with rage:

Patents.

Companies are trying to snap up patents on ideas that will underpin the basic functionality of the next-gen Internet. Imagine if the founders of the Internet patented TCP/IP and DNS before the net ever got off the ground?

That’s what’s happening right now.

In particular, one of the companies in the Decentralized Identity Foundation seems to have taken the patent everything approach. That company is Civic. Initially I was super excited to meet them when I picked up their flier. I spent about fifteen minutes talking to their team and I came away slightly horrified.

They’re looking to patent an utterly obvious idea that I wrote about and GPLed in Nov of 2016, which is flagging a compromised ID on the blockchain as dead. I wrote that the system could re-enroll a person who’s ID was stolen or compromised or lost and “flag any bit that labels previous biometric data as obsolete/defunct.”

Also, there’s this:

“We must prevent against Identity theft. The simplest way is with a legal system that allows a person to show up at a court and scan their iris and to verify their ownership of a HUID (human unique identifier) in the case of a dispute. If not, the ownership is transferred back to the correct owner through a flag...”

To me, patenting that is the equivalent of patenting SSL.

It’s so clearly necessary as a basic concept to decentralized identity that nobody should try to get exclusive rights to it or they risk destroying the ability to create any system that actually works without paying them a royalty which means the DecNet is screwed.

To be clear, I don’t know their intentions. They could be absolutely altruistic. They could simply be trying to get defensive patents that they would donate to a GPL licensed trust in the DIF but I don’t think that’s their goal. I will follow up to clarify with them.

But make no mistake, patents are the enemy of the next-gen of the net. The infrastructure has to be open source, patent free and agnostic. It’s as simple as that. Sadly I’m not sure we live in that world anymore. The Internet was created in a simpler time.

I’m not against patents in general. They’re absolutely necessary for people who create ideas that matter but in this case I see them as a highly destructive whirlwind gathering out to sea that can obliterate any number of projects in the works.

Worst of all, I talked to a number of folks out there piling up patents.

That breaks my heart because it could wind up absolutely killing this industry before it ever gets off the ground.

Imagine if every open source project starts getting a knock on their door asking for money every time someone conducts a transaction on the blockchain or connects a phone peer to peer?

Again that’s not a world any of us should want to see come to pass.

Conclusion

Consensus 2017 delivered a lot of innovation and a lot of noise. Sifting the two requires patience and an open mind. I have no doubt that I missed countless gold nugget technologies at the conference. There’s just too much to see and do for any one person.

If you spotted a killer technology in the crowd, post about it in the comments. Please try to keep it civil though. You never know which project is going to break out and deliver the system that we so desperately need even if it’s in an imperfect state now.

These are still early days. Coins are baked but the economy to spend them in is still developing and it will take years to come to fruition.

A lawyer from Australia who specializes in blockchain law said it best:

“I want to see something that’s done and working, not a prototype.”

I get it.

We’re just not there yet.

That’s because nobody has fully developed a working, production ready version of the decentralized Internet. There are lots of contenders but nobody ready to take the title and get their names enshrined forever in the hallowed pages of Wikipedia as the founders of Internet 2.0.

But that day is coming soon.

And maybe, just maybe, someone at that conference is already working on it."

that's really a good article

thank you for share.

Join the Elastic revolution!  Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC WEBSITE | NEW ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
xxxgoodgirls
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 03:27:04 PM

Is there yet a date for Qtum hitting an exchange like bittrex or poloniex?

In summary, the Intel Management Engine and its applications are a backdoor with total access to and control over the rest of the PC. The ME is a threat to freedom, security, and privacy, and the libreboot project strongly recommends avoiding it entirely. Since recent versions of it can’t be removed, this means avoiding all recent generations of Intel hardware. details https://libreboot.org/faq.html#intelme --- https://tehnoetic.com/laptops --- https://store.vikings.net/x200-ryf-certfied
Qtum (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2017, 03:45:21 PM

Is there yet a date for Qtum hitting an exchange like bittrex or poloniex?

Once the main network is released in September, any exchange can add Qtum.

left-ca

Activity: 184

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 08:01:33 PM

Why do i need to download a .zip of the code, why cant I just page through it on github. I dont even trust these devs download link due to lack of fucking transparency
left-ca

Activity: 184

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 08:13:57 PM

QTUM is a great and serious project is more that normal that also il his value will grow...
I think that this are the last days for buy to cheap price (few day to testnet release)...then it will only be an explosion in up.

Marketcap is 500m, no fucking way this is a cheap price at all. Its overhyped to say the least
onetwo12

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 09:08:17 PM

Marketcap is 500m, no fucking way this is a cheap price at all. Its overhyped to say the least

this will be the first utxo based pos smart contact platform, even earlier than Ethereum.

onetwo12

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 09:16:48 PM

Why do i need to download a .zip of the code, why cant I just page through it on github. I dont even trust these devs download link due to lack of fucking transparency

This is a snapshot of the prototype source code for evaluation purposes only. You can setup a functioning mainnet or testnet network, but this version has several known bugs, and we do not recommend making it public, and only using it for evaluation.

Details:

Based on Bitcoin 0.13.2
Implements PoS v3.0
Includes a port of the EVM
Includes an early version of the Qtum Account Abstraction Layer
No support is provided for this release, and it is released “AS-IS” without indemnification, support or warranty of any kind, expressed or implied.

Update: We had previously released a version with Windows line-endings, which broke some things. We have fixed this and this version here now has Unix line-endings

have you ever read this?
 Grin

anyway testnet will be released in june.

onetwo12

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 09:17:53 PM

Qtum will be 20-25$ per coin after mainnet release
Thats right they have possible the price of qtum will be $20-$25 after mainnet release. And Im very happy because I earned a lot of money because of this . We are very lucky because we are part of Qtum . And I hope yhe price of Qtum coin will increase more. I hope the price will be $100 in the future if this happen for many investor here are become rich instantly and even me I become rich. Goodluck Qtum more power to us!

it will happen, Qtum get a Huge community than Ethereum in china.

also Okcoin CEO is the angel investor of Qtum.

and they just listed Ethereum,

i think Qtum will be Listed  too in the future.

cybterpunk

Activity: 414
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 31, 2017, 12:37:49 AM

From slack channel:

Chinese National TV  CCTV  mentioned Qtum project as an example of blockchain technology and open source project:
http://news.cctv.com/2017/05/28/ARTIGYrCJRFat7CorIMN4blL170528.shtml

全球区块链技术发展论坛”项目启动
——搭建技术交流平台 促进国际化发展
中国新闻来源:央视网 2017年05月28日 12:03A-A+
我要分享

央视网消息:5月27日,在2017数博会全球区块链技术发展论坛上,“全球区块链技术发展论坛”项目正式启动,中国信息通信研究院和贵阳市人民政府签署合作协议,以太网创始人Vitalik Buterin与中国信息通信研究院签署合作备忘录。

据了解,为搭建一个全球区块链技术发展交流的平台,聚焦区块链发展过程中的关键技术问题,中国信息通信研究院组织“全球区块链技术发展论坛”项目,旨在建立一个具有国际影响力的区块链技术交流平台。

该论坛秉持专业化、国际化、实践化原则,将专注于技术的发展,让更多的有区块链背景的资深技术企业积极参与。同时,组织方前期与来自中国、英国、美国等国内外的专家学者,及相关机构企业进行深入沟通协调,促进论坛的国际化发展。

此外,论坛将积极推进实践化,吸纳更多年轻优秀的创业者、工程师等推动区块链的发展。目前,论坛已获得了量子链基金会等全球50家知名区块链企业的支持,下一步将尽快推出运行机制,促进全球区块链技术的交流融合与发展。

2017全球区块链技术发展论坛——

建立开源生态环助力区块链技术发展

“区块链技术是公开的、可信的、透明的、不可篡改的,区块链将会改变我们的生活。必须要有一些相关的支撑机制,建立一个开源的生态环境,让大家一起参与进来,开放合作,助力区块链技术发展,走向共赢。”5月27日,在2017数博会全球区块链技术发展论坛上,来自国内外区块链领域专家学者和行业内人士,就全球区块链技术现状、区块链发展趋势等进行了热烈地探讨与对话,并达成以上一致意见。

量子链高级工程师徐小龙认为,区块链从诞生开始就是一个带着开源基因的技术。区块链是一个可信任的去中心化的技术,“可信任”“去中心化”这两个关键词其实都依赖于开源的方式。“比如代码开源,代码开源也是一种去中心化的方式,如果代码属于一家公司,这家公司就能控制这个软件的走向,但是如果是开源的,我们可以共同来维护这个项目。开源有时候是一种以退为进的方式,看似你把自己的技术都开放出来给别人,但其实你可能收获更多。”徐小龙说。

Consensys公司总监Brent Xu提出,开源才是开发区块链的正确模式。他用以太坊举例,现在有很多不同的类别都在使用代币技术,个人可以参与到这个环境中,接入到不同形式的区块链当中。这个平台带来了更多的机会,可以实现去中心化。所有的编码者不再只受限于一个供应商,他们以不同的方式参与开发和接入。“这种新的基础构架就是我们以太坊的运作方式,我们希望大家一起合作,形成不同的动态,实现更好的经济发展。”Brent Xu说。

超级账本亚太区副总裁JulianGordon说,超级账本本身是一个开源社区、开源项目,它推进了各行各业的区块链技术,涉及银行、零售、供应链、医疗及制造行业等。“超级账本是全球区块链社区中的领导者,我们希望更多的开发者加入到我们的社区中,在开源的社区中不断发展,真正的开发应该是来源于全球开发者的共同智慧的集合。”JulianGordon说。

中国信息通信研究院技术与标准研究所副所长何宝宏提出,开源现在已经成了整个行业创新的驱动力,区块链技术开源给大家提供了一个共赢的可能。“这个对整个行业利益最大化的共赢局面,需要尽快建立标准,加快可信区块链标准化建设,降低成本,助力区块链健康发展。”何宝宏说。

普华永道风险及控制服务合伙人季瑞华认为,区块链的核心包括分布式数据库、加密算法等,其本质上是一种技术的整合,一种商业模式的提炼和提升。在开源的大环境下,区块链技术才能发展更大。“比如一个编码者,把技术贡献开放给大家,大家再把这个技术发展,相互学习,交流沟通,才能真正共享到区块链带来的益处。”季瑞华说,搭建一个开源的生态圈,价值的体现并不是在卖软件等方面,而是在这个基本核心的基础上去增加价值,由区块链去保障其可信,保障它真正为企业生成更多价值。

IBM公司标准与开源技术总监程海旭也表示,如果互联网改变了交换信息的方式,区块链将会改变交换价值。区块链不应该是被一家投资和控制,而应该是开放的,让整个社会来参与、受益,开源给予了更多选择。从生态角度说,区块链技术开源以后,大家一起把这个“蛋糕”做大,然后一起共享成果。
cybterpunk

Activity: 414
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 31, 2017, 12:55:44 AM

still good volume than most of the coin.
Qtum (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2017, 02:09:36 AM

The CCTV article gives great exposure in China, as their reach can top 100 million viewers. That channel helped Bitcoin catch on in that country.

Here's a Google translation of the article:

http://news.cctv.com/2017/05/28/ARTIGYrCJRFat7CorIMN4blL170528.shtml

"Global Chain Chain Technology Development Forum" project started
Constructing a Technical Exchange Platform to Promote International Development

China News (original) Source: CCTV 2017 on May 28, 12:03 A- A +

On May 27th, at the Global Forum on the Quarterly Chain Technology Development Forum of 2017, the "Global Chain Chain Technology Development Forum" project was officially launched. The China Information and Communication Research Institute and the People's Government of Guiyang signed a cooperation agreement, Vitalik Buterin, founder of Ethernet, signed a memorandum of cooperation with the China Information and Communication Research Institute.

It is understood that, in order to build a platform for the development of global chain-chain technology development, focusing on the key technical issues in the development of block chain, China Information and Communication Research Institute organized the "Global Chain Chain Technology Development Forum" project, International influence of the block chain technology exchange platform.

The forum uphold the professional, international, practical principles, will focus on the development of technology, so that more of the chain of chain technology companies to actively participate in the background. At the same time, the organizers of the early and from China, Britain, the United States and other domestic and foreign experts and scholars, and related institutions to conduct in-depth communication and coordination, and promote the international development of the forum.

In addition, the forum will actively promote the practice, to attract more young and outstanding entrepreneurs, engineers, etc. to promote the development of block chain. At present, the forum has been the quantum chain foundation and other 50 global block chain enterprise support, the next step will launch the operating mechanism as soon as possible to promote the global block chain technology exchange integration and development.

2017 Global Chain Chain Technology Development Forum -

Establishment of open source eco - ring power block technology development

"Block chain technology is open, credible, transparent, can not be tampered with, block chain will change our lives. There must be some relevant support mechanism, the establishment of an open source ecological environment, so that everyone involved "On May 27th, at 2017, the global chain of chain technology development forum, from the domestic and international chain of experts and experts in the field of industry, the industry chain, On the global block chain technology status, the development trend of the chain chain, such as a warm discussion and dialogue, and reached the above agreement.

Quantum chain senior engineer Xu Xiaolong that the block chain from the birth is a technology with open source gene. Block chain is a trusted to the center of the technology, "trusted" "to the center" of these two keywords are actually dependent on the way open source. "If the code is open source, we can work together to maintain the project." If the code belongs to a company, the company can control the software, but if it is open source, we can work together to maintain the project. Is a way to retreat, it seems that you put their own technology are open to others, but in fact you may gain more. "Xu Xiaolong said.

Consensys director Brent Xu suggested that open source is the right model for developing block chains. He used the ether square for example, there are many different categories are using tokens technology, individuals can participate in this environment, access to different forms of block chain. This platform brings more opportunities to achieve decentralization. All coders are no longer limited to one vendor, and they participate in development and access in different ways. "This new infrastructure is the way we run the etherflies, and we want everyone to work together to create a different dynamic and achieve better economic growth," says Brent Xu.

Julian Gordon, vice president of Asia Pacific, said Superbook itself is an open source community, an open source project that advances block technology across banking, retail, supply chain, healthcare and manufacturing industries. "Superbook is a leader in the global chain of chain communities, and we hope that more developers will join our community and continue to grow in open source communities, and that real development should come from the common wisdom of global developers Collection, "Julian Gordon said.

China Information and Communication Research Institute of Technology and Standards Institute He Baohao, deputy director of the proposed open source has now become the driving force of innovation in the industry, block chain technology open source to provide a win-win situation. "This is the industry to maximize the benefits of the win-win situation, the need to establish standards as soon as possible, to speed up the standardization of the construction of a reliable chain, reduce costs and help the healthy development of block chain." He Baohong said.

PricewaterhouseCoopers risk and control services partner Ji Ruihua that the core of the chain chain, including distributed database, encryption algorithm, which is essentially a technology integration, a business model of refining and upgrading. In the open source environment, the block chain technology to develop more. "For example, a codec, the technical contribution to open to everyone, we put this technology development, mutual learning, communication, in order to truly share the benefits of the block chain." Ji Ruihua said, to build an open source ecosphere, the value Is not in the sale of software and so on, but on the basis of the basic core to increase the value of the chain to protect the chain to ensure that it really generate more value for the enterprise.

IBM's standards and open source technology director Cheng Haixu also said that if the Internet has changed the way to exchange information, the block chain will change the exchange value. Block chains should not be invested and controlled by an investment, but should be open, so that the whole community to participate, benefit, open source to give more choices. From the ecological point of view, the block chain technology after the open source, everyone together to the "cake" bigger, and then share the results together.

onetwo12

View Profile
May 31, 2017, 09:15:29 AM

【ICOcoin】CrowdSale at 9th of June, Started by CEO of BTCCHINA, support Qtum

http://www.icocoin.org/

Project leader: Linke ( Founder and CEO of BTCCHINA http://btcchina.com/)

Team member: a lot of reputable members from bitcoin industry, more details on website.

Total amount: 200M coin

Crowdsale time: 9th of June (BTCChina 6 years anniversary)

Crowdsale platform: btc9.com  ico365.com

Accept currency: BTC ETH  QTUM (IOU).

if you need more details please check the website.

thank you for your attention.

关于ICO代币

Icocoin的代币叫Ico币,总量2亿个。是基于以太坊发行的去中心化的区块链数字资产。顾名思义,Ico币的使命就是为ICO(Initial Coin Offering)而生,我们的目标是要让各种ICO众筹项目将接受ICO币,成为继比特币(BTC)和以太坊(ETH)后的第三个币种。如今区块链领域的代币大多数建立在概念项目上面,我们发行的ICO币是把项目落到实处的代币。

代币的价值:
A.基于落地项目交易平台的赢利收入拿出20%用来公益性回购ICO币,回购的ICO币奖励于锁仓用户。(每个季度不定期进行回购,基于区块链去中心化智能合约技术,公开透明);
B.ICO币在交易平台上可以购买任何数字货币;
C.交易平台上的ICO项目全部用代币来支持。
D.ICO币将来在ICOCOIN全球交易平台上使用积分制模式,用于抵消ICOCOIN注册用户的交易手续费等费用。
E.与线下各大证券公司开发共享合作平台,双方实行交叉式股票和数字货币之间自由交易,ICO币代表数字货币在线下证券公司直接参与股票的买卖。

if you have Qtum IOU at ico365 or BTC9, you can directly invest into BTCCHINA's CEO project !

even before Qtum release, there are few ICO will accept Qtum now!

that's great.

onetwo12

View Profile
May 31, 2017, 09:19:25 AM

https://www.bitmex.com/app/trade/QTUMU17

Qtum futures market opening!

happy trading!

price is going up

0.003BTC per Qtum token !

clixcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 31, 2017, 09:26:14 AM

Qtum has big hype in China this is good sign so it cam attract more investors from that country to make it big project. I would like to wait until mainnet get launched than it will move forward with its real spirit so this market will turn into giant. No doubt Qtum is is big project with unique concept.
onetwo12

View Profile
May 31, 2017, 09:35:20 AM

Qtum has big hype in China this is good sign so it cam attract more investors from that country to make it big project. I would like to wait until mainnet get launched than it will move forward with its real spirit so this market will turn into giant. No doubt Qtum is is big project with unique concept.

you have a good point, testnet will release in 1 month.

redhero

Activity: 361
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 31, 2017, 11:02:45 AM

whatever, Qtum is a big project from china, it get its big fans following it.
Pages: « 1 ... 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 [192] 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 ... 337 »
  Print  

Jump to: