Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 11:42:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wikileaks contact info?  (Read 46862 times)
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2010, 10:11:24 PM

Also, while bitcoin is in its infancy, we (bitcoiners) should avoid engaging in drugs, prostitution, weapon selling & other semi-legal activities.

If bitcoin will lift off using money from fraudesters & gangsters, how in world will we ever manage to promote it to be a serious currency ?

Dollar is debased, bitcoin is not. Bitcoin is private online, dollar is not. If someone needs a currency that isn't used by gangsters then they can stick to the dollar. Oh...

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nelisky
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 05, 2010, 10:25:19 PM

I really am puzzled about this thread... Why should we even bother to try and call attention to the fact that bitcoins are of great value for an organization such as wikileaks? It is only so if it doesn't get tagged 'illegal' and thus remove our chance of going mainstream first, which is part of what makes it of use to wikileaks.

I mean, technically? Sure, great, resilient, pseudo-anonymous, almost untraceable. But without actual people using it? And yes, I do mean beyound the geeky folk already backing it up, there's no way we'll be able to value bitcoins to the point where their usage is of any interest to organizations...

Also, c'mon, they know about it for sure... someone has told them about it, major coolness, cookie points to you, but give it a rest already. All we are doing now is begging for a witch hunt, old style. I see much value in bitcoins, I'm actually making extended investments in in, but not because it is of great use to undermine governments and powers that be, but because it is a better store of value, period!

Or I am completely out of my league here and I don't know what I'm talking about, but either way I think it is worth noting that while "they can't kill bitcoins", and I agree with this technically, "they" can certainly scare everyone away from it and their cats... just my BC0.02
bober182

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 05, 2010, 11:02:12 PM

It doesnt matter they claim its too slow to move big amounts of money and might use it when its more official and not just a test project.
Sorry for trying to do something.
I asked them when there was no public outcry yet. Then kiba and the rest posted how its a bad idea since then i have not talked to them. once i read satoshi's post, I checked irc and talked about the status of it being implemented and they claim its not good enought to actually profit them.

federk

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2010, 10:17:08 PM

Also, while bitcoin is in its infancy, we (bitcoiners) should avoid engaging in drugs, prostitution, weapon selling & other semi-legal activities.

If bitcoin will lift off using money from fraudesters & gangsters, how in world will we ever manage to promote it to be a serious currency ?

What about fork of bitcoin specially for wikileaks.
Can we use source code and engine of bitcoin for making new 'wlcoin/wilicoin'?
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
December 06, 2010, 10:27:05 PM

The value of wilicoin will be certainly almost worthless compared to bitcoin.

If people start using wilicoin and the currency become more popular, there may be the danger of wilicoin displacing bitcoin.

RHorning

Activity: 224
Merit: 141

View Profile
December 06, 2010, 10:31:21 PM

That just creates another floating currency.  Nothing is stopping somebody from doing that, but is there a specific reason for getting that accomplished with what would be a much smaller purpose than general transactions like Bitcoins?  Any such currency would generally be weaker than Bitcoins.

The value of wilicoin will be certainly almost worthless compared to bitcoin.

If people start using wilicoin and the currency become more popular, there may be the danger of wilicoin displacing bitcoin.

I don't think it would necessarily be worthless, but it would certainly be easier to attack than Bitcoin so far as Bitcoin would likely have a much longer and stronger chain since it is older.  The longer Bitcion runs, the stronger it will get in that regard and be all that much tougher to replace.
FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2010, 04:09:30 AM

It really isn't up to us whether or not Wikileaks adopts bitcoin. Isn't that part of the currency's beauty?

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
Bruce Wagner

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
December 07, 2010, 06:01:54 PM

A demostration to protest Julian Assange's arrest is being organized today at 13:30 London time in front of the Westminster Magistrates' Court. Please join if you can!

http://wlcentral.org/node/545
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
December 08, 2010, 02:38:11 AM

A demostration to protest Julian Assange's arrest is being organized today at 13:30 London time in front of the Westminster Magistrates' Court. Please join if you can!

http://wlcentral.org/node/545

This may be quite a pointless demonstration, since Assange visit to police was appointed earlier and he let himself be arrested by purpose.

throughput

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 10, 2010, 05:18:51 PM

People.

Bitcoin will never go mainstream. Interested why?

Read on (thanks wikileaks): http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/wikileaks/8189868/WikiLeaks-US-lobbied-Russia-on-behalf-of-two-credit-card-companies.html

The story is about the failed project of Russian national payment system, fueled by Russian government and biggest banks. It was killed by lobbying it out due to the threats it posed to Visa and MasterCard.

Bitcoin will fail as a mainstream project as soon as it will start to compete with the Big Guys.
Remember, Paypal is not competing with Visa, it extends it's functionality.

Bitcoin is not going to mainstream.
Bitcoin is not going to get into the coffee machines, as many of you dreams.

Russian government was unable to build their own electronic payment system.
Do you really think you may do that better, that the powerful government?
FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2010, 06:49:04 PM

People.

Read on (thanks wikileaks): http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/wikileaks/8189868/WikiLeaks-US-lobbied-Russia-on-behalf-of-two-credit-card-companies.html

The story is about the failed project of Russian national payment system, fueled by Russian government and biggest banks. It was killed by lobbying it out due to the threats it posed to Visa and MasterCard.

Bitcoin will fail as a mainstream project as soon as it will start to compete with the Big Guys.
Remember, Paypal is not competing with Visa, it extends it's functionality.

Bitcoin is not going to mainstream.
Bitcoin is not going to get into the coffee machines, as many of you dreams.

Russian government was unable to build their own electronic payment system.
Do you really think you may do that better, that the powerful government?

Kind of trollish to post this in more than one thread, no?

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 10, 2010, 07:14:22 PM

People.

Hmm...

Sounds like a reasonable complaint.  Quick!  Sell all your coin to me before the bottom drops out!  I'll take one for the team and give you 10 cents each.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2010, 08:55:39 PM

Funny how so much people are scared of what could potentially happen.

So daddy doesn't want his young son to get out and go party like all the older currencies because he's scared ?
Fair enough. He'll just go over the fence, have fun and ultimately grow up like all kids do.

Bitcoin is in essence a subversive currency, let it be subversive, if you don't like that you're probably going to be less stressed out investing in gold.

Also it's neither satoshi's neither anyone of us to decide whether wikileaks should accept donations. I'm still puzzled at how scared lots of people here are.

ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 03:33:54 AM

Funny how so much people are scared of what could potentially happen.

So daddy doesn't want his young son to get out and go party like all the older currencies because he's scared ?
Fair enough. He'll just go over the fence, have fun and ultimately grow up like all kids do.

Bitcoin is in essence a subversive currency, let it be subversive, if you don't like that you're probably going to be less stressed out investing in gold.

Also it's neither satoshi's neither anyone of us to decide whether wikileaks should accept donations. I'm still puzzled at how scared lots of people here are.

It is not about being scared.

The problem is that powerful lobbying can hold mainstream adoption for decades.
I do not want bitcoin to be underground currency forever. I'm saying that we should wait 1-2 years before going into deep water. And wikileaks is not even deep water. It is a storm.

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 04:54:01 AM

The problem is that powerful lobbying can hold mainstream adoption for decades.
I do not want bitcoin to be underground currency forever. I'm saying that we should wait 1-2 years before going into deep water. And wikileaks is not even deep water. It is a storm.

Pandora has already opened the box.  It's beyond anyone's control as to what Wikileaks does, or does not do, with Bitcoin.  It's learn to swim fast, or drown.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 07:43:38 AM

it would not help wikileaks nor bitcoin if wikileaks would accept bitcoin now.
as I think the people in wikileaks are smart I don't think they will do it.

The art has begun now to turn this new bitcoin publicity into positive and legitimate activities, ideally even stating that bitcoin does not want to be assiciated with wikileaks af this stage (like satoshi has expressed clearly )
 we could add a statement on the homepage of bitcoin.org.

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 12:52:45 PM

* kiba heads into the bitcoin bomb shelter to wait out the currency war.

Pissing off and winning an economic battle with the world's most powerful organization in the world isn't going to be easy.

Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 01:34:09 PM

Bitcoin does not necessarily need to compete with Visa and Mastercard.

When you open an account with Visa you get billed in USD or EUR; why not in BTC in future?

Visa and Mastercard could offer services that the Bitcoin network is not capable of. Giving people credit, escrow, acting as a trusted third party, verifying physical identities, securing wallets, insurance,...

Both sides would benefit from this. Payment processing is only a part of Visa's business.

Same for banks.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
Bruce Wagner

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 06:56:03 PM

I guess it's too late now. 

The words bitcoin and wikileaks have appeared in the same headline in pc world just now.

Search google news for the word bitcoin now.
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 07:28:31 PM

Agree Bruce.

This is not necessarily negative, as long as we use the momentum behind that in a positive way - and stay out of the direct conncetion to wikileaks.

We should stay distinctively distant from wikileaks, meaning: We should not push wikileaks to accept donations in bitcoins at all.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: