May 01, 2024, 05:38:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 8839 8840 8841 8842 8843 8844 8845 8846 8847 8848 8849 8850 8851 8852 8853 8854 8855 8856 8857 8858 8859 8860 8861 8862 8863 8864 8865 8866 8867 8868 8869 8870 8871 8872 8873 8874 8875 8876 8877 8878 8879 8880 8881 8882 8883 8884 8885 8886 8887 8888 [8889] 8890 8891 8892 8893 8894 8895 8896 8897 8898 8899 8900 8901 8902 8903 8904 8905 8906 8907 8908 8909 8910 8911 8912 8913 8914 8915 8916 8917 8918 8919 8920 8921 8922 8923 8924 8925 8926 8927 8928 8929 8930 8931 8932 8933 8934 8935 8936 8937 8938 8939 ... 33312 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26370428 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
raid_n

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 07:14:03 AM

More than anything I expect these high volume swings to attract even more speculators ultimately increasing adoption

A few top predators tend to keep an eco-system healthy; a sea full of sharks isn't going to be that attractive to most people.

We are not at the "most people" phase. These violent swings and the uncertainty drive coin distribution.
You can subscribe to the theory that the manipulators and speculators always win, I don't.
For every winner there needs to be a loser. I doubt this is just small time speculators losing out. It will be both whales and smaller fish that win and lose

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
samsonn25

Activity: 882
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 07:15:42 AM

WhatsApp has over 600 million users, at $30 person value thats 18 Billion market cap.

If Bitcoin had even 60 million users at $30 person value is only 1.8 Billion, so it seems over valued now?  

are you being silly... 60 million people using bitcoin atm would mean almost no1 having a single coin... depending on distribution but really a terrible comparison

Just comparing the users of whatsapp are worth money to advertisers.

The users for bitcoin must increase from its current base to spread to survive.

Then comes the problem will value increase?  and why?  because of limited availability like a commodity?  which is opposite of what it was intended to be a medium for transactions with lower fees.

In the end I think btc needs to be pegged to some definite value to be worth anything.  Other than that the Fed is correct that it can only be a "storage" mechanism.

You are talking garbledy gook regarding some necessity to "peg" bitcoin.... that is just some distracting mainstream talking point that is used to confuse people regarding the value of it NOT being pegged.  The value of bitcoin is the users and the network and the infrastructure.... which is all still building and growing.

So you would agree the value of bitcoin could be  valued at $1 or $1 million.

Do you think buying 2 pizzas for 10,000 bitcoin was a ripoff or a bargain?  Those who bought at $1100 was that cheap?  

If there was not exchanges (China exchanges, btc-e, bitstamp, etc)  that DO "peg" btc to a fixed value (like the USD or Euro) btc price would still be in Limbo.  And these exchanges are only in for the money to be made.

The problem is the traders and speculators who think they can buy it like it is a lottery ticket and make profit if it goes up from the price they bought it from.
medialab101

Activity: 583
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 07:16:10 AM

I still don't really feel like we've had blood in the streets.

No one posted a suicide hotline on r/bitcoin yet

They were posted from the mid-300's, multiple times.
samsonn25

Activity: 882
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 07:17:09 AM

WhatsApp has over 600 million users, at $30 person value thats 18 Billion market cap.

If Bitcoin had even 60 million users at $30 person value is only 1.8 Billion, so it seems over valued now?  

are you being silly... 60 million people using bitcoin atm would mean almost no1 having a single coin... depending on distribution but really a terrible comparison

Then comes the problem will value increase?  and why?  because of limited availability like a commodity?  which is opposite of what it was intended to be a medium for transactions with lower fees.

In the end I think btc needs to be pegged to some definite value to be worth anything.  Other than that the Fed is correct that it can only be a "storage" mechanism.

We're currently in a bubble for "users" though.

Companies with millions of users are bought up, with absolutely no idea how to monetize them.

Snapchat anyone? Value in the billions, absolutely ZERO revenue.

A lot of these companies are just VCs and investors playing hot potato, I invest $25m in the hope that somewhere further down the road a bigger fool will inject $250m and my stake is worth more than I paid. It's nearly a ponzi

Yes, Bravo
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10194

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 07:17:59 AM

In other words, you are still holding out concerning when you are going to buy back in.

You may want to be safe and buy back part, so that you are NOT gambling all of your stash.. but I have my doubts if prices are going lower than they did yesterday, any time in the near future.... though anything seems possible in bitcoinlandia.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 07:21:56 AM

We're currently in a bubble for "users" though.

Companies with millions of users are bought up, with absolutely no idea how to monetize them.

Snapchat anyone? Value in the billions, absolutely ZERO revenue.

A lot of these companies are just VCs and investors playing hot potato, I invest $25m in the hope that somewhere further down the road a bigger fool will inject $250m and my stake is worth more than I paid. It's nearly a ponzi

Now, you seem to be talking your book... and once you buy back in, you will fix this kind of language, hopefully?  It's a bit charged to be throwing out the "nearly a ponzi" language.... b/c that is nearly total BS.
MrPiggles

Activity: 980
Merit: 256

Decentralized Ascending Auctions on Blockchain

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 07:24:24 AM

In other words, you are still holding out concerning when you are going to buy back in.

You may want to be safe and buy back part, so that you are NOT gambling all of your stash.. but I have my doubts if prices are going lower than they did yesterday, any time in the near future.... though anything seems possible in bitcoinlandia.

My income is entirely in btc. I did sell 60 this month at $380 but technically i'm buying in on a daily basis, to the tune of around $500-600

I have $20k that I haven't bought back in with yet. I'm actually more comfortable with the amount I have in btc right now (around 40 currently) so I can only assume I was overinvested, as I was far  too emotional about it. I'll keep "buying back in" via my income in btc, but I think I'll put the $20k into a nice mutual fund or ETF
MrPiggles

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 07:26:36 AM

Now, you seem to be talking your book... and once you buy back in, you will fix this kind of language, hopefully?  It's a bit charged to be throwing out the "nearly a ponzi" language.... b/c that is nearly total BS.

There are a lot of overhyped, overvalued companies that get investment, and go for round after round of seed money, and often time the only purpose of an investment in a business is the hope they'll raise more funds later on and thus make their stake more valuable.  If the only purpose is to increase income then I think that is nearly a ponzi, isn't it?
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 07:28:16 AM

random rumor

the wheel turns.....

now my Bitcoin can't buy a Laptop!

in the meantime $335 btc now we just need another 31 days of this at @ $35 uptick a day to get to 1100 again

yeah you betcha (still better odds then the lottery)

mmitech
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

things you own end up owning you

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 07:30:13 AM

Good morning, So Bitcoin price is 4 times less than the ATH and people are cheering up  for $20 and calling the next bubble and reversal !!!!?  what a delusion, you have been doing this since $800

And oh, just look at the larger holders and early adopters shitting their pants @ twitter and in this forum, it is a hell of fun watching fear tearing the shit out of them.
MrPiggles

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 07:30:44 AM

btw I wasn't calling btc a ponzi at all, I was referring to the venture capitalists and their stakes in zero revenue tech companies with high userbases.
MrPiggles

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 07:31:18 AM

now my Bitcoin can't buy a Laptop!

You can get a chromebook or cheap laptop for $300
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 07:36:27 AM

Good morning, So Bitcoin price is 4 times less than the ATH and people are cheering up  for $20 and calling the next bubble and reversal !!!!?  what a delusion, you have been doing this since $800

And oh, just look at the larger holders and early adopters shitting their pants @ twitter and in this forum, it is a hell of fun watching fear tearing the shit out of them.

Shitting? Fear? No, this has all happened before and will probably happen again..

Irritation, annoyance, yep... I wanted to buy a lambo before I turned 24 damn it.
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 07:43:45 AM

Good morning, So Bitcoin price is 4 times less than the ATH and people are cheering up  for $20 and calling the next bubble and reversal !!!!?  what a delusion, you have been doing this since $800

I don't give a damn about the price.
I'm paid in crypto, I spend in BTC.

I hodl everything in crypto because I hate the banking system.
It doesn't matter if my health fluctuate.
It does matter that banks & state do not have my money.
nanobrain
Legendary

Activity: 1008

Dumb broad

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 07:46:33 AM

Shitting? Fear? No, this has all happened before and will probably happen again..

Irritation, annoyance, yep... I wanted to buy a lambo before I turned 24 damn it.

Why do nerds/geeks have such an obsession with "lambos": is it some sort of compensatory reflex?
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 07:49:48 AM
Last edit: October 07, 2014, 09:25:01 AM by superresistant

Why do nerds/geeks have such an obsession with "lambos": is it some sort of compensatory reflex?

It is a way for some people of showing their wealth which greatly increase their chance of success with greedy females.
*If you consider that most females are greedy then it increase your chance with females.

It is also a way of showing your social status and get respect from your peers (if they like Lambo too otherwise they'll think you're just an insecure small dick).
tarmi
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 07:53:34 AM

@ tarmi -
longs closed 342
shorts opened @339

Wink

Waiting for 320-325$
Maybe 315$

longs closed 340

JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 07:54:41 AM

You are talking garbledy gook regarding some necessity to "peg" bitcoin.... that is just some distracting mainstream talking point that is used to confuse people regarding the value of it NOT being pegged.  The value of bitcoin is the users and the network and the infrastructure.... which is all still building and growing.

For clarity sake, I am going to attempt briefly respond to each of your questions in the order that you presented them:

So you would agree the value of bitcoin could be  valued at $1 or $1 million.

Your way of phrasing this question is quite weird - it is like you are trying to summarize what I have said, but I never said anything near what you seem to be assuming in the question.

But I would still more or less agree that the value of bitcoin could be either of those prices.  Let me elaborate a bit.

Bitcoin has already been $1, so it has gone through that price range, and surely it could return to that price, if events develop in a certain direction to cause the price to move in that direction.  A lot of events could cause bitcoin to return to that $1 price range, but the more and more infrastructure is built around BTC, the less and less likely bitcoin would return to $1 because likely people are going to be willing to pay more than $1 per BTC for quite a long time to come.

Regarding the $1million price point, surely that is possible, also; however, the bitcoin infrastructure does NOT seem to be even close to be able to accommodate such a price in the near term.  Probably the infrastructure could currently support up to a $20k price, but probably only up to about $3-5K is sustainable with the current state of the infrastructure... though there could be peaks into the $12k or higher arena.  

As you probably already know, lot's of things have to happen for price to go up and to be sustainable, and surely I am NO expert... even though you were asking me what I think.

Do you think buying 2 pizzas for 10,000 bitcoin was a ripoff or a bargain?  

This pizza situation was 2010-ish?  It was the agreed to amount that the parties were then willing to transact, and so it was likely neither a ripoff or a bargain.  Surely, later we can look at the transaction from another lens, but at the time, they seem to be transacting for the current value of what the parties were willing to transact, and the facts do NOT establish that either party was in any duress while they were transacting.

Those who bought at $1100 was that cheap?  

I believe this is pretty much the same answer, as the pizza answer.  There were a lot of people transacting bitcoins in the $1,000 to $1,500 price arena between late November 2013 and early December 2013.  BTC prices elevated in some places to over $1,000 again for short periods in early January 2014.  These prices were what people were then willing to pay for BTC.

If there was not exchanges (China exchanges, btc-e, bitstamp, etc)  that DO "peg" btc to a fixed value (like the USD or Euro) btc price would still be in Limbo.  And these exchanges are only in for the money to be made.

I believe that here you seem to be mixing up concepts or at least conflating a lot of ideas.  BTC prices are exchanged for fiat, but the exchange rates are NOT pegged, but yes, when people buy and sell they use those prices to figure out whether they want to buy or sell.

I don't know the philosophy behind exchanges beyond that people can buy and sell their BTC, and I do agree with you that people speculate and they make money, but making money is NOT the sole purpose as far as I understand... b/c merely buying and selling may NOT make you money but you are able to either acquire BTC or liquidate your BTC through exchange services.  And the exchange price can be used to determine other Over the Counter values, too.

The problem is the traders and speculators who think they can buy it like it is a lottery ticket and make profit if it goes up from the price they bought it from.

I do NOT understand what you are attempting to achieve with your various questions and assertions, but some of your ideas do NOT come across as very well thought out.  You seem to be ranting on and jumping to conclusions, and there also seems to be quite a bit of emotions in your assertions that seem to be misplaced.  Yes, some people may speculate with BTC and gamble with BTC values; however, NOT everyone is engaging in this activity.  And some theories are that traders and speculations is good to lessen price volatility, but anyhow, along the same lines some people may strive to get rich, and some may make mistakes.  

Anyhow, the extent to which the price of BTC goes up or down and the timeline for such price movements is based on a large variety of factors, and some people have gotten rich and some have gotten poor from their involvement in BTC and/or their BTC investment strategies.  

In the end, so what?    Are you proposing any solutions?  I would suggest that you study up on various aspects of BTC first before you begin to prescribe various solutions, b/c your various assumptions seem to be overly simplified... from my reading.  I am NOT trying to be argumentative or derogatory - I am merely reacting to the contents of your post.

octaft

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 07:58:08 AM

Because they think expensive cars will get them laid, but they don't know shit about expensive cars so they go with the only one they know about? Of course, they completely disregard the fact that the only women that will sleep with them simply because they have an expensive car is very likely to give them an STD, but that's neither here nor there, I suppose.
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 08:00:27 AM

Because they think expensive cars will get them laid, but they don't know shit about expensive cars so they go with the only one they know about? Of course, they completely disregard the fact that the only women that will sleep with them simply because they have an expensive car is very likely to give them an STD, but that's neither here nor there, I suppose.

Actually, because lambo accepts BTC. I'd also settle for a porsche or ferrari, since BTC has already bought me a nice mercedes and a house. Geeks and nerds? I spend 20% of my income partying and traveling for football games.
Pages: « 1 ... 8839 8840 8841 8842 8843 8844 8845 8846 8847 8848 8849 8850 8851 8852 8853 8854 8855 8856 8857 8858 8859 8860 8861 8862 8863 8864 8865 8866 8867 8868 8869 8870 8871 8872 8873 8874 8875 8876 8877 8878 8879 8880 8881 8882 8883 8884 8885 8886 8887 8888 [8889] 8890 8891 8892 8893 8894 8895 8896 8897 8898 8899 8900 8901 8902 8903 8904 8905 8906 8907 8908 8909 8910 8911 8912 8913 8914 8915 8916 8917 8918 8919 8920 8921 8922 8923 8924 8925 8926 8927 8928 8929 8930 8931 8932 8933 8934 8935 8936 8937 8938 8939 ... 33312 »
  Print  

Jump to: