June 18, 2024, 11:10:26 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 9584 9585 9586 9587 9588 9589 9590 9591 9592 9593 9594 9595 9596 9597 9598 9599 9600 9601 9602 9603 9604 9605 9606 9607 9608 9609 9610 9611 9612 9613 9614 9615 9616 9617 9618 9619 9620 9621 9622 9623 9624 9625 9626 9627 9628 9629 9630 9631 9632 9633 [9634] 9635 9636 9637 9638 9639 9640 9641 9642 9643 9644 9645 9646 9647 9648 9649 9650 9651 9652 9653 9654 9655 9656 9657 9658 9659 9660 9661 9662 9663 9664 9665 9666 9667 9668 9669 9670 9671 9672 9673 9674 9675 9676 9677 9678 9679 9680 9681 9682 9683 9684 ... 33459 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26402870 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
shmadz
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

@theshmadz

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 05:00:43 PM

Huobi's explanation of what happened:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2mdtxl/huobi_takes_1271000_usd_from_users_profits_during/cm3qanw

Due to the very large, rapid price movements on 11/13 and 11/14 and many users trading with 20x leverage, many forced liquidations were unable to be executed at the target price, thus resulting in a situation where cumulative users' losses exceeded cumulative users' profits by 46.1% for the weekly bitcoin futures contract. As stated in the BitVC Futures rules (https://www.bitvc.com/help/detail?id=81), the systemic losses were allocated to the profitable users proportionally. We understand that this level of loss allocation is unacceptable and so we are crediting the full amount of losses allocated to users' future trading fees. [...]

So, if I lose I lose, and if I win, I only win half? But don't worry, 'cuz to reimburse you we'll let you lose more money on our site for free!

I like how the transparency of bitcoin tends to expose how corrupt all these non-transparent systems really are.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1779

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 05:01:19 PM

Explanation
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 05:05:13 PM

A lot of investors think that the main purpose is payments, so they invest in diverse bitcoin related services companies. I think payments in itself does not drive the price, only the urge to hold bitcoins. Fortunately, that is a future side effect of creating many new payment customers, so I am happy with that.

... and we're back to the quantity of money formula !

The "side effect of holding bitcoins with the purpose of doing payments" is *exactly* what that formula expresses !

Of course the payments in itself do not drive price.  The payments (Q) plus the "holding" (1/V) that goes with it, does.

But this was also my worry: if bitcoin payments are going to be:
1) acquire bitcoins on an exchange
2) do your payment immediately with it (after a few blocks)
3) the seller receives the payment
4) after a few blocks, converts them back into fiat

Then this corresponds to a very high velocity (a very low time to hold) and you can buy *a lot* of stuff with a few bitcoins at a relatively low price that way.
It's hard to tell from this post whether or not your explanation is correct.

In your scenario, "you can buy *a lot* of stuff with a few bitcoins at a relatively low price" is true if by "price" you mean the price of a bitcoin in terms of stuff. A higher velocity means a higher P in the quantity theory of money formula, where P is the price of stuff in terms of money.
Walsoraj

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Ultranode

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 05:11:55 PM

Here is one expert, cato daily, from the monetary conference.
Kevin Dowd, an adjunct scholar at the Cato Institute:

http://www.cato.org/multimedia/daily-podcast/unfortunate-future-bitcoin

"bitcoin will crash to zero, get out now! Yes, I am disappointed too."

Check out his reasoning: Loss of confidence.

And Cato is one of the best sources, committed to liberty.

Watch their conference. They are basically say bitcoin will fail and the non-mining coins will be far superior. Also that the 10 minute block timer for bitcoin is too slow. Regulations will crush it.

http://www.cato.org/multimedia/events/32nd-annual-monetary-conference-panel-1

Therefore, Ripple.
noobtrader
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 05:14:57 PM

Watch their conference. They are basically say bitcoin will fail and the non-mining coins will be far superior. Also that the 10 minute block timer for bitcoin is too slow. Regulations will crush it.

Therefore, Ripple.

but ripple was mined by teh bank and they will mine it without limit... Huh
btcney

Activity: 588

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 05:16:58 PM

Therefore, Ripple.
This is huge and bullish for Ripple  Shocked
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 05:17:49 PM

Given their logic, regulations will crush everything!  I don't think people think BTC will be the thing when it comes to cryptocurrency (it may, but usually, the first try at something will fail) - but there will be some new crypto.
I keep hearing people say this, but they offer no ideas that work. It's like saying that airplanes will be obsolete because we will have teleporters someday. It's just fantasy dreaming when we have something that works today.
dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 05:21:52 PM

A lot of investors think that the main purpose is payments, so they invest in diverse bitcoin related services companies. I think payments in itself does not drive the price, only the urge to hold bitcoins. Fortunately, that is a future side effect of creating many new payment customers, so I am happy with that.

... and we're back to the quantity of money formula !

The "side effect of holding bitcoins with the purpose of doing payments" is *exactly* what that formula expresses !

Of course the payments in itself do not drive price.  The payments (Q) plus the "holding" (1/V) that goes with it, does.

But this was also my worry: if bitcoin payments are going to be:
1) acquire bitcoins on an exchange
2) do your payment immediately with it (after a few blocks)
3) the seller receives the payment
4) after a few blocks, converts them back into fiat

Then this corresponds to a very high velocity (a very low time to hold) and you can buy *a lot* of stuff with a few bitcoins at a relatively low price that way.
It's hard to tell from this post whether or not your explanation is correct.

In your scenario, "you can buy *a lot* of stuff with a few bitcoins at a relatively low price" is true if by "price" you mean the price of a bitcoin in terms of stuff. A higher velocity means a higher P in the quantity theory of money formula, where P is the price of stuff in terms of money.

Ok, I'm still reasoning in a fiat-dominated world, so the "price of bitcoin" is the exchange price in dollars.  The $380 something of today.

On re-reading, I understand my phrase could lead to confusion.  "a few" means: the relatively small amount of existing bitcoins (the 13 million or so today).

The point is that the price of a bitcoin (which is the inverse of P in the formula, if we express Q in dollar) can still be very low ($300 or so like today) and still buy a lot of stuff, if the velocity is high enough, which could be the case if the typical scenario is the one I described, and where bitcoins served to buy something and were only held for a third of a day for doing so.

If a bitcoin can be used 3 times a day to buy its value in goods, then the velocity is 1000 (per year), and the total value of stuff bought with bitcoin is then about 1000 times the market cap.  (Q expressed in dollars is then 1000 times the market cap M / P).

So the commercial adoption of bitcoin would not sustain a high bitcoin price (in $$) if the typical way of doing that would be the indicated way, and if all bitcoins were used that way, even if a large amount of stuff were bought each year with bitcoin.

It would be totally different if people were actually paid in bitcoin, and held their pay for half of a month in order to buy stuff.  Then the velocity would rather be something like 24 (holding time half a month on average).  The price of bitcoin (in $$) would then be 40 times higher than in the previous gedanken experiment for the same amount of stuff bought.

coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2014, 05:23:43 PM

This is huge and bullish for Ripple  Shocked

Yay back to centralization  Roll Eyes
wmr42393

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 05:31:58 PM

This is huge and bullish for Ripple  Shocked

Yay back to centralization  Roll Eyes

Meanwhile Branson is backing bitcoin...

https://twitter.com/richardbranson/status/532818202947252224
Walsoraj

Activity: 686

Ultranode

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 05:32:54 PM

Depends on how you understand centralization. In theory, Ripple can become less centralized than bitcoin. Read the white papers. https://forum.ripple.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4301

How meaningful is bitcoin's de-centralization when small groups can control such massive amounts of hashing power? Even the devs have expressed concern about this problem.

*edit*

To be clear: Small groups controlling disproportionate amounts of power is not de-centralization. Bitcoin is tending towards centralization, while Ripple plans to slowly become decentralized.

bobboooiie

Activity: 656

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 05:32:58 PM

We will test 300 this week
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 05:33:56 PM

The universe doesn't want any one money.  Even with gold, there was also silver.  And there are many, many other stores of value, such as famous paintings and other artwork, real estate and so on.

Of course it does. The reason why we had silver to complement gold was because of physical issues pertaining to divisibility, transportation and weight. Those do not exist in the digital world.

There is no silver to BTC.

I wouldn't be so sure that a few big governments wouldn't agree on banning bitcoin.  For the moment bitcoin has legal problems in Russia and in China to a certain extend.  The day the US government also jumps in, I don't see how bitcoin can become a universal currency rapidly.

It is too late for the US government to jump it. Bitcoin is now an industry in the US and they will face a colossal fuck up if they even attempt to squash it for what would be very anti-constitutional reasons.

Because, after all, as long as there is no general *merchant* adoption, the only gateway to "buying stuff" with bitcoin are exchanges between fiat and bitcoin.  This is why I think that the first adoption has to be merchant adoption.
But it has to be more than that: merchant adoption has to be such that the price is quoted in bitcoin, and is not just the "latest conversion of the price in fiat according to the rate at a given exchange".

This is backwards thinking. First it becomes a store-of-value, then a means-of-exchange and ultimately a unit of account.

I don't think many people would, at the moment.  I wouldn't.  I might change my mind if I could buy most of the stuff directly quoted in bitcoin.  If I could buy a car in bitcoin (and not as "a conversion from $ into bitcoin").  At that point, I would start to trust bitcoin as a store of value.  I think many people would.  Maybe I'm wrong here, but I wouldn't think right now, or in the coming years, that many people with a lot of money would put it into bitcoin as a store of value.

I think you're wrong. The features I have noted above demonstrate why it is so. Bitcoin is an infinitely better store of value than fiat. It has qualities that are too attractive for even the commoners to ignore. And as I've said above, it makes to sense to suggest Bitcoin would be used as a unit of account until it is adopted as a store of value.

The devil is in the details: it is in the assumption of "stable".  Stable in the sense of buying power.  That can only be taken seriously if a lot of important stuff can be bought directly quoted in bitcoin, I would think.
In several developing countries, you're probably right, and I think that developing countries are probably the potentially biggest attraction pool of bitcoin usage, because their fiat is not very reliable.  But the main currencies, like Euro or $$, I don't think people would bet on bitcoin in the coming years as "safer".

Why not? It shields your wealth from inflation and keep it out of the hands of banks and mobsters. Buying power? Someone has informed you already but it is worth repeating that Bitcoin can buy any of the top major world currencies at extremely favorable exchange rates.

Would you prefer holding inflationary fiat that loses buying power or Bitcoin that grows it with time?

Your point is useless if you choose to ignore the speculative aspect. This is simply a dishonest way to argue against reality.

I do consider the speculative aspect, but the speculative big growth expectation has to be based upon something else than "more growth", because that is exactly what drives a Ponzi.  There needs to be something else.

Now, I was given a clear answer: bitcoin is going to be the unique and universal money and value store.

Ok, but I do buy that only at very low probability in the foreseeable future, and I would think, most people with money, too.

I do not suggest that Bitcoin would become the one an only store of value but yes I do envision it become the unique money. Of course the probability is very low but the mere fact that it exists is what is responsible for that potential "to the moon" growth and therefore will continue to attract investors.

That makes me smile a bit.  *Fiat* is forced upon you because you have to pay your taxes in fiat.  As long as a government decides that you have to pay your taxes in fiat, and as long as taxes make up a serious fraction of the economy, bitcoin *can't* take over the whole of payments.  Because fiat will be in high demand to be able to pay taxes with !

Of course, the day that you are allowed to pay your taxes in bitcoin, your hypothesis has come true.  I don't see that happening for a long, long time.  I would think that most people would think that too.

Simple : hold Bitcoins and cash out the necessary amount of fiat when it is time to pay your taxes. All the upsides of Bitcoin without the downsides of fiat.

At this point I am not so sure the government is gonna be interested in its own worthless fiat though... which is why they'll probably be happy to get paid in BTC

Once you are on the moon, the "to the moon" argument won't work anymore, right.  
Now, I understand your stance here: you say that "to the moon" is a justified expectation as long as not everything monetary isn't done in bitcoin, and once everything is done in bitcoin, the discussion is over.

My point is that that scenario is highly unrealistic in the coming several decades, and if no "moon" is realised earlier, I think many will LEAVE bitcoin if there is no widespread merchant adoption.  

You are severely underestimating the power of network effect and technology adoption. It is not a slow, linear growth. It is exponential and once we go vertical (following the typical technology adoption s-curve) then it is hyper-exponential.

If your scenario is realized 100 years from now, I'm honestly not interested, and I don't think many people would be interested.  I'll be dead, my children will probably be dead, and I don't care further along the road.  I don't think many people would buy into bitcoin if they had to wait for 100 years for "full moon".  

And if your scenario is realized much earlier, I would be surprised.  I don't think that 10 or 20 years from now, this will be the case.  I wonder how many people would want to hold serious money into bitcoin waiting for more than 20 years "for full moon".

Huh

We don't have to wait for full moon. If Bitcoin continues its growth trend then WHO would not want to hold their wealth in Bitcoin, hell you are almost guaranteed a 10x increase in buying power EVERY YEAR. Another thing you are severely underestimating is human greed.

Just wait until we get to the next bubble and it will all become clear.

So we have to consider something less ambitious, but more realistic as a "fundamental".  This is what I'm after.  What will be the expected market share of bitcoin, say, in 20 or 30 years ?  Because that gives a *realistic* idea of the price of bitcoin to expect.

And the realistic answer to that is either 0,01%-1% or 95-100%. There is no in between.

I have to disappoint you, but the current price doesn't indicate that.  In order to have an idea what price expectations to hold realistically, you need also to have a realistic view on fundamentals in a few decades.  And that's what I wanted to discuss.  Now, you made your point, you think "full moon" is realistic.  In that case, indeed, the real price should be tens of millions of $ per coin.  Fact is, it isn't for the moment, which means that most market players don't think so.  Now, of course, the main reason to be in a market is that one thinks one is smarter than the market - me too.

In order for a high price, say, $100 000, - to be sustainable, this would mean that enough people need to believe "full moon" with enough money.  I don't think that moment is there yet.

Not there yet but just around the corner.   

I would like to believe them, but unfortunately, I don't.   I do think there is a place for bitcoin, but a much more modest one than you describe here (even though deep inside I wish you were right).  In my opinion, the scenario you describe is at least a century away.  It would be great if not, but I can't believe it.

Again, you severely understimate the hyperexponential growth of technologies and the overwhelming power of something that combines the network effect of a protocol (think the internet) and money.

http://nakamotoinstitute.org/mempool/why-bitcoin-will-continue-to-grow/
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 05:34:23 PM

The weekend dip is nearly over.
ejinte

Activity: 644

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 05:43:08 PM

370s in 3 ... 2 ... 1...

Not looking too promising, gentlemen Undecided

When when when?
wmr42393

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 05:45:10 PM

Depends on how you understand centralization. In theory, Ripple can become less centralized than bitcoin. Read the white papers. https://forum.ripple.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4301

How meaningful is bitcoin's de-centralization when small groups can control such massive amounts of hashing power? Even the devs have expressed concern about this problem.

Maybe, you have not understood bitcoin fully.  The chain can be moved to any future protocol.  Bitcoin can do what ever it wants, it generally considered that it's not needed.

But many alts have moved to a new mining algorithms. A forum member called dreamwatcher was the first to do it. he moved a complete blockchain from scrypt to blake.  Open the new wallet with your .dat file and boom your coins from the old chain appear.

So bitcoin has no constraints, it can do whatever is needed.  
wmr42393

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 05:47:20 PM

370s in 3 ... 2 ... 1...

When when when?

Never never never!

Smiley
abercrombie
Legendary

Activity: 1159
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 05:53:00 PM

Over?

Nothing is over until we decide it is.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?  Hell no!  
noobtrader
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 05:53:09 PM

370s in 3 ... 2 ... 1...

When when when?

Never never never!

Smiley

testing 400 soon
wmr42393

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 05:56:07 PM

Over?

Nothing is over until we decide it is.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?  Hell no!  

The Germans was it... Haha?

Pages: « 1 ... 9584 9585 9586 9587 9588 9589 9590 9591 9592 9593 9594 9595 9596 9597 9598 9599 9600 9601 9602 9603 9604 9605 9606 9607 9608 9609 9610 9611 9612 9613 9614 9615 9616 9617 9618 9619 9620 9621 9622 9623 9624 9625 9626 9627 9628 9629 9630 9631 9632 9633 [9634] 9635 9636 9637 9638 9639 9640 9641 9642 9643 9644 9645 9646 9647 9648 9649 9650 9651 9652 9653 9654 9655 9656 9657 9658 9659 9660 9661 9662 9663 9664 9665 9666 9667 9668 9669 9670 9671 9672 9673 9674 9675 9676 9677 9678 9679 9680 9681 9682 9683 9684 ... 33459 »
  Print  

Jump to: