June 21, 2024, 02:02:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 14546 14547 14548 14549 14550 14551 14552 14553 14554 14555 14556 14557 14558 14559 14560 14561 14562 14563 14564 14565 14566 14567 14568 14569 14570 14571 14572 14573 14574 14575 14576 14577 14578 14579 14580 14581 14582 14583 14584 14585 14586 14587 14588 14589 14590 14591 14592 14593 14594 14595 [14596] 14597 14598 14599 14600 14601 14602 14603 14604 14605 14606 14607 14608 14609 14610 14611 14612 14613 14614 14615 14616 14617 14618 14619 14620 14621 14622 14623 14624 14625 14626 14627 14628 14629 14630 14631 14632 14633 14634 14635 14636 14637 14638 14639 14640 14641 14642 14643 14644 14645 14646 ... 33466 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26404020 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 01:51:00 AM

You know, I cant remember the actual point I switched to google from AltaVista, despite having convinced myself that I never would. Funny, no matter how entrenched we think we are, we are liableto change in a heartbeat. Bitcoin core could learn that lesson.

Altavista started going down that whole "portal" route (as were others). An object lesson in having to watch your step when it comes to monetizing things. I probably would have stuck with Altavista if they hadn't gone that way (though they would have had to have stepped up their search algorithm efforts too)

That is, I suspect, the main reason that google won. Their search algorithm was better, but not that much better. The "portal" concept was shoving a lot of revenue-focused crap in your face that you didn't want or need every time you just wanted to do a search. There were also large differences in load time even on what passed for "high speed" connections at the time. Google was faster and easier.

ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1779

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 02:01:36 AM

Coin

Explanation
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 02:35:46 AM

57MB in the pool. What did we hit during the epic stress-test of a while ago? Is there a record all time high we should be shooting for?
Cconvert2G36

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 02:46:42 AM
Last edit: January 25, 2016, 03:33:54 AM by Cconvert2G36

-snip-  
Maybe, those issues are behind Ethereum, but several aspects of ethereum seem to have its own issues in regards to pump and dump sense and various small community centralization like dynamics.

You mean like a single company stonewalling a simple upgrade to tx capacity... directly and negatively affecting its competitiveness against growing alternatives?

Perhaps you should stop insulting your betters like you did to mmitech earlier and start thinking about these issues.

Stop lying and spreading lies. People like you have totally poisoned the debate to take it out of the realm of technical into the personal attacks, smears and political, which of course was your disgusting intention all along.

There is no "single company stonewalling a simple upgrade to tx capacity" that is a blatant lie.

We disagree on this. I connected some dots and have come to the conclusion that Blockstream is highly motivated to limit native throughput and is rightly concerned about a hard fork precedent. You may say they have nothing to do with it... and I would call that a lie.

In terms of "poisonous debate"... I learned that from your friends iCE n' brg. Crucible of internet nerd drama, and all that.

I've watched my favorite thread on this board, the old gold thread, be relegated to the memory hole. I've posted in threads with poisonous titles and motives, simply because a more reasonably titled submission would be zapped to the altcoin section by our dear leader... so please... spare me your concern trolling. I made an attempt at giving the benefit of the doubt all the way through the HK "scaling" conference. When I saw the roadmap™ email become Core doctrine, I saw the reality of the situation.

If lies are all you have left to try and scare some plebes into supporting a coup to a centralised development model then you are delusional and lying to yourself also. Bitcoin Core development has many different parties contributing code, review, analysis, testing and research (NB: decentralised already)... AND they all agree to the way forward. Bigger blocks will come when they are needed, when we have widespread functioning fee selection and replacement s/ware in wallets (in case it is needed and for future-proofing), and the low-risk beneficial algorithmic capacity increases have been implemented .... just not tonight dear (as someone said).

Again the irony of being accused of supporting a coup to a centralized dev model. Multiple development teams competing for miners to run them is my goal, according to satoshi's original consensus mechanism:

You may not like it, but Bitcoin was not designed to have a monolithic set of rules imposed by a centralized dev team, especially one with a concentrated and glaring conflict of interest.

Core's contributors (I'm aware that only a fraction of them[important ones] are tied to BS) are a talented and competent group, and I hope their talents won't be lost if network consensus moves to 2MB max blocks. A petty ragequit is the only thing I can see making that happen. No way a hardfork to 2MB max inherently means Core dies or goes away.

Telling miners, businesses, and users: "Not tonight dear.", when they understand the situation and their options is not a good strategy for Core. Almost as bad a strategy as threatening miner's entire investment with PoW changes.
CuntChocula

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 03:01:19 AM

57MB in the pool. What did we hit during the epic stress-test of a while ago? Is there a record all time high we should be shooting for?
Chillax, you'll get your Romanian bath salts soon enough. Haven't you got anything under your sink to tide you over?
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 03:01:37 AM

Coin

Explanation
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 03:05:14 AM

Chillax, you'll get your Romanian bath salts soon enough. Haven't you got anything under your sink to tide you over?
Just got that shipment of Witch Weasel in...We should talk.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 03:09:04 AM

Analyzing the 2013 Bitcoin fork: centralized decision-making saved the day

https://freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/randomwalker/analyzing-the-2013-bitcoin-fork-centralized-decision-making-saved-the-day/?utm_content=buffer4f46c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

The incident shows the necessity of an effective consensus process for the human actors in the Bitcoin ecosystem.
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 03:15:45 AM

Telling miners, businesses, and users: "Not tonight dear.", when they understand the situation and their options is not a good strategy for Core.

What exactly is the situation?

Cointape.com :

Which fee should I use?

The fastest and cheapest transaction fee is currently 30 satoshis/byte, shown in green at the top.
For the median transaction size of 369 bytes, this results in a fee of 11,070 satoshis.

That's 4 cents / 0.04 USD for urgent first block inclusion, despite "full blocks" and 55+ mb of queued transactions. I asked "why" before but I didn't get an answer. Why don't we have "5$ fees" or "100$ fees"? Why is it just 4 cents?

The answer is that the blocks are full with bogus transactions of extremely low fees. The blockchain is being artificially bloated by actors who aren't really intending to pay much or at all, for making payments that they don't really need. Let's send this back and forth 500 times for the lolz, yeah... who cares... as long as it bloats the hell out of this fucker and have the idiots (or moles / propagandists) shout "ohhh fullblockalypse".
Cconvert2G36

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 03:16:09 AM

https://freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/randomwalker/analyzing-the-2013-bitcoin-fork-centralized-decision-making-saved-the-day/?utm_content=buffer4f46c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

The incident shows the necessity of an effective consensus process for the human actors in the Bitcoin ecosystem.

Collaboration between mining pools solved that one. I watched it in real time. Something tells me we will see miners collaborating towards achieving their mutual self interests again...

Quiet Stolfi
Cconvert2G36

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 03:18:20 AM

Telling miners, businesses, and users: "Not tonight dear.", when they understand the situation and their options is not a good strategy for Core.

Cointape.com :

Which fee should I use?

The fastest and cheapest transaction fee is currently 30 satoshis/byte, shown in green at the top.
For the median transaction size of 369 bytes, this results in a fee of 11,070 satoshis.

That's 4 cents / 0.04 USD for urgent first block inclusion, despite "full blocks" and 55+ mb of queued transactions. I asked "why" before but I didn't get an answer. Why don't we have 5$ fees? Why is it just 4 cents?

The answer is that the blocks are full with bogus transactions of extremely low fees. The blockchain is being artificially bloated by actors who aren't really intending to pay much or at all, for making payments that they don't really need. Let's send this back and forth 500 times for the lolz, yeah... who cares... as long as it bloats the hell out of this fucker and have the idiots shout "ohhh fullblockalypse".

Do you wait until a tire explodes on your car before you get some fresher rubber on there? "It got me home just fine today."

Miners can generate a fee market by setting their own spam and dust limits... why do you hate the free market?
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 03:19:02 AM

Collaboration between mining pools solved that one. I watched it in real time. Something tells me we will see miners collaborating towards achieving their mutual self interests again...

Quiet Stolfi

Of course I wasn't here then. But the article suggests it was central planning by developers that saved the day. Isn't it?
Cconvert2G36

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 03:21:59 AM

Quiet Stolfi

Of course I wasn't here then. But the article suggests it was central planning by developers that saved the day. Isn't it?

Simplified: It was gavin saying roll back to the old version... miners agreed and did it. He gave them some of the faucet coins for their orphaned blocks (probably unnecessary, but generous).
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 03:26:06 AM

Quiet Stolfi

Simplified: It was gavin saying roll back to the old version... miners agreed and did it. He gave them some of the faucet coins for their orphaned blocks (probably unnecessary, but generous).

Like how the miners just agreed and are doing it again?

In this meeting we have produced a plan: Once blocks are full, and at that time, * if Core has not yet upgraded to 2MB, * and if Classic is not enough widely supported, * we will do what Satoshi has pointed out https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1347.msg15366#msg15366 We will modify the code patch to alter cap from 1MB to 2MB to solve the pressing problem. This means, as we think, has a big potential to reach consensus, and urge Core to accommodate.
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 03:36:03 AM

Cointape.com :

Which fee should I use?

That's 4 cents / 0.04 USD for urgent first block inclusion, despite "full blocks" and 55+ mb of queued transactions. I asked "why" before but I didn't get an answer. Why don't we have 5$ fees? Why is it just 4 cents?

The answer is that the blocks are full with bogus transactions of extremely low fees. The blockchain is being artificially bloated by actors who aren't really intending to pay much or at all, for making payments that they don't really need. Let's send this back and forth 500 times for the lolz, yeah... who cares... as long as it bloats the hell out of this fucker and have the idiots shout "ohhh fullblockalypse".

Do you wait until a tire explodes on your car before you get some fresher rubber on there? "It got me home just fine today."

The analogy is wrong in the sense that you position the tire explosion in the future.

If we say that the blocks are full, the tx queue is growing etc, etc, then the tire exploded. It's not an "if", right? We hit the limit. What worse can we have?

Yet, the "disaster" we are facing are 3-4cents txs. Why? Because most of the txs in the queue are spam and dust.

Miners should not even process anything under 10 cents fees. Fuck the spammers.
Cconvert2G36

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 03:38:22 AM

Like how the miners just agreed and are doing it again?

Possibly, we won't know until they start mining trigger blocks. It's also possible that this is all posturing and we will just hang out until 2017 and we'll see some segwit tx's trickle in later this year.
Cconvert2G36

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 03:44:28 AM

Cointape.com :

Which fee should I use?

The analogy is wrong in the sense that you position the tire explosion in the future.

If we say that the blocks are full, the tx queue is growing etc, etc, then the tire exploded. It's not an "if", right? We hit the limit. What worse can we have?

Yet, the "disaster" we are facing are 3-4cents txs. Why? Because most of the txs in the queue are spam and dust.

Miners should not even process anything under 10 cents fees. Fuck the spammers.

That's never been my position, and I admit it's a bad analogy. It is a slow bleed away of the utility of the network, allowing competing networks to gain a foothold, while miners get 25 btc per block. An artificial competitive disadvantage. There will be no fireworks, just a slow erosion of dominance, at a crucial time period in the network's fight to gain share.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 03:46:55 AM

Quiet Stolfi

Wrong or you intentionally lie again to rewrite history. Gavin fucked up big time then (and has done at other times).

Gavin said "the longest chain wins" which at the time was the new version 0.8 leveldb with Mike Hearn's 'bug' that would have allowed for >1MByte blocks. ( I was in IRC at the time).

Luke-Jr realised how messed up that would become and coordinated quickly with mining pools (slush in particular had to be woken up) to get the pools on the 0.8 code to roll-back onto a 0.7 version or a 0.8 version that had db fixes in it.

Interestingly that incident whereby a highly suspicious block exploited an obscure unknown behaviour in Berkeley DB to sneak in a 'bad' block (it had many transactions that triggered the database lock limit but not the blocksize limit) which Mike Hearn wrote the code for, Gavin committed to the repo would have set a precedent for developers forking off the miners over a blocksize technicality. Sound familiar? ... these guys have been at this for years.
Cconvert2G36

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 03:54:37 AM

Quiet Stolfi

Wrong or you intentionally lie again to rewrite history. Gavin fucked up big time then (and has done at other times).

Gavin said "the longest chain wins" which at the time was the new version 0.8 leveldb with Mike Hearn's 'bug' that would have allowed for >1MByte blocks. ( I was in IRC at the time).

Luke-Jr realised how messed up that would become and coordinated quickly with mining pools (slush in particular had to be woken up) to get the pools on the 0.8 code to roll-back onto a 0.7 version or a 0.8 version that had db fixes in it.

Interestingly that incident whereby a highly suspicious block exploited an obscure unknown behaviour in Berkeley DB to sneak in a 'bad' block (it had many transactions that triggered the database lock limit but not the blocksize limit) which Mike Hearn wrote the code for, Gavin committed to the repo would have set a precedent for developers forking off the miners over a blocksize technicality. Sound familiar? ... these guys have been at this for years.

Fair enough, I wasn't in IRC for that, and I must have gotten the wrong impression from reading forum posts.

But you are saying that it was an intentional sabotage by Gavin and Hearn? Why weren't they thrown out and ostracized after it happened?

Edit: I noticed you danced over everything else I replied to you, feel free to include that response in your response to this.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 04:01:33 AM

Coin

Explanation
Pages: « 1 ... 14546 14547 14548 14549 14550 14551 14552 14553 14554 14555 14556 14557 14558 14559 14560 14561 14562 14563 14564 14565 14566 14567 14568 14569 14570 14571 14572 14573 14574 14575 14576 14577 14578 14579 14580 14581 14582 14583 14584 14585 14586 14587 14588 14589 14590 14591 14592 14593 14594 14595 [14596] 14597 14598 14599 14600 14601 14602 14603 14604 14605 14606 14607 14608 14609 14610 14611 14612 14613 14614 14615 14616 14617 14618 14619 14620 14621 14622 14623 14624 14625 14626 14627 14628 14629 14630 14631 14632 14633 14634 14635 14636 14637 14638 14639 14640 14641 14642 14643 14644 14645 14646 ... 33466 »
  Print  

Jump to: