May 05, 2024, 03:46:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 11610 11611 11612 11613 11614 11615 11616 11617 11618 11619 11620 11621 11622 11623 11624 11625 11626 11627 11628 11629 11630 11631 11632 11633 11634 11635 11636 11637 11638 11639 11640 11641 11642 11643 11644 11645 11646 11647 11648 11649 11650 11651 11652 11653 11654 11655 11656 11657 11658 11659 [11660] 11661 11662 11663 11664 11665 11666 11667 11668 11669 11670 11671 11672 11673 11674 11675 11676 11677 11678 11679 11680 11681 11682 11683 11684 11685 11686 11687 11688 11689 11690 11691 11692 11693 11694 11695 11696 11697 11698 11699 11700 11701 11702 11703 11704 11705 11706 11707 11708 11709 11710 ... 33324 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26372417 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 10:19:29 AM

I thought it would obviously have to be time invariant. Doesn't TA only depend on the data in the chart? I don't know much about TA, but Wikipedia and Investopedia say that TA is based on the study of past market data, primarily price and volume. This seems to implicate that if the same pattern emerges in the charts in April or June, the conclusions should be the same. Same for a market moving slow or fast. If all trades are done at half the speed, shouldn't the conclusions on the same pattern (but stretched twice as long in time) be the same? And isn't the model describing a bear trap and a bull trap essentially the same, just applied inverted?

I know there's a kind of "law" in (amateur, perhaps also professional) algorithmic trading that your strategy should be time invariant. Some even go as far as saying it should be market invariant. In reality, I think it's more a heuristic to find out if the "pattern" you think you detected is just noise, or if you're onto something.

This is completely 'finger in the air', but I sometimes think that certain patterns that seem to be a good predictor emerge across different time scales (hence, motivation for the above "law"), but they're not equally important/active across all scales.

EDIT: The previous paragraph would still be compatible with "TA is based on the study of past market data, primarily price and volume. This seems to implicate that if the same pattern emerges in the charts in April or June, the conclusions should be the same" I would argue: you could simply be missing one variable, say, something like "total volume necessary until pattern x becomes active/has a strong enough influence on the market".

To come to your counter question, I cannot exclude that a signal is useless (usable?) because it lags. Even more, since this signal is interpreted by humans with neural networks in their heads, they can very well learn how to interpret them without understanding them (as we do with so many things). Simply by training. One doesn't need to have an explicit  model that makes sense. And when many people start acting on a certain signal (even if it's not based on a proper model and it doesn't make sense), the very fact that a significant part of the actors take that signal into account creates a self fulfilling prophecy. So yes, that may very well constitute an exploitable pattern. Wink

That was the point I was trying to make. I believe "chartism"/TA is more than just a self-fulfilling prophecy, but there is some self-fulfilling aspect to it, mainly in the form of the exact points of resistance/support.

What I mean is: Some combination of signals tells traders "market is bearish, even though we're currently going up" (the non circular part of TA). Next question, where exactly to go short? "Hm, let's say DSMA50. Seems like a good place as any." After the first few sell at exactly that point, it becomes a "point of heavy resistance" (the circular part of TA).

/my 2 crackpot cents Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 10:59:04 AM

Coin
Explanation
fichtn12345

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 11:05:13 AM

Winklevoss twins speaking about Bitcoin at SXSW tomorrow in Texas, surprised no one has mentioned this. I didn't even know about it until my wife told me that she's going to watch.

I assumed that most people here also read the /r/bitcoinmarkets daily trading thread. Anyways we had some discussion on this yesterday:

http://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinMarkets/comments/2z3b2d/daily_discussion_sunday_march_15_2015/cpfgylz

There are a lot of skeptics that this alone will be the spark to lead to the next rally (I'm talking about their exchange). It's an overestimated aspect if you want my opinion. Besides there were a lot of other bullish news that the market didn't even care for. The ETF on the other hand...  Roll Eyes

the exchange itself shouldn't move the market at first but I expect that the potential announcement of it being "sponsored" by X major US bank will give us a lift.

This. If somehow they will be able to establish an "i/o" through the fiat world, this will be the catalyst towards the biggest rally so far. Yet though, there's also another bank in the EU that plays that role (Fidor Bank) but no significant CCMF yet. Maybe because the EU BTC infrastructure is a lot smaller than the USA's one.

I'm confident though, that the twins are on the right track for a perfect rally. We'll see.

afaik fidor is not for europeans... only for germans, no?
HarmonLi

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 11:13:59 AM

Winklevoss twins speaking about Bitcoin at SXSW tomorrow in Texas, surprised no one has mentioned this. I didn't even know about it until my wife told me that she's going to watch.

I assumed that most people here also read the /r/bitcoinmarkets daily trading thread. Anyways we had some discussion on this yesterday:

http://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinMarkets/comments/2z3b2d/daily_discussion_sunday_march_15_2015/cpfgylz

There are a lot of skeptics that this alone will be the spark to lead to the next rally (I'm talking about their exchange). It's an overestimated aspect if you want my opinion. Besides there were a lot of other bullish news that the market didn't even care for. The ETF on the other hand...  Roll Eyes

the exchange itself shouldn't move the market at first but I expect that the potential announcement of it being "sponsored" by X major US bank will give us a lift.

This. If somehow they will be able to establish an "i/o" through the fiat world, this will be the catalyst towards the biggest rally so far. Yet though, there's also another bank in the EU that plays that role (Fidor Bank) but no significant CCMF yet. Maybe because the EU BTC infrastructure is a lot smaller than the USA's one.

I'm confident though, that the twins are on the right track for a perfect rally. We'll see.

I think someone said and quoted a phrase that if you want to open up that one account that enables you to trade on their new open platform, you have to be a German resident. But if this is working well, who knows... they might just go and offer it for other EU customers, too!
macsga
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1002

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 11:39:43 AM

I think someone said and quoted a phrase that if you want to open up that one account that enables you to trade on their new open platform, you have to be a German resident. But if this is working well, who knows... they might just go and offer it for other EU customers, too!

They (Kraken) accept SEPA, which I personally verified. It works for everybody inside the EU.
sAt0sHiFanClub

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Warning: Confrmed Gavinista

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2015, 11:42:47 AM

Correct. You need to go to a german post office with german papers to verify your identity.

However, this is likely to change in the future, subject to regulatory approval.
sAt0sHiFanClub

Activity: 546

Warning: Confrmed Gavinista

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2015, 11:45:11 AM

They (Kraken) accept SEPA, which I personally verified. It works for everybody inside the EU.

Ah, you already edited your post...
Andre#

Activity: 737

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 11:45:26 AM

I thought it would obviously have to be time invariant. Doesn't TA only depend on the data in the chart? I don't know much about TA, but Wikipedia and Investopedia say that TA is based on the study of past market data, primarily price and volume. This seems to implicate that if the same pattern emerges in the charts in April or June, the conclusions should be the same. Same for a market moving slow or fast. If all trades are done at half the speed, shouldn't the conclusions on the same pattern (but stretched twice as long in time) be the same? And isn't the model describing a bear trap and a bull trap essentially the same, just applied inverted?

I know there's a kind of "law" in (amateur, perhaps also professional) algorithmic trading that your strategy should be time invariant. Some even go as far as saying it should be market invariant. In reality, I think it's more a heuristic to find out if the "pattern" you think you detected is just noise, or if you're onto something.

This is completely 'finger in the air', but I sometimes think that certain patterns that seem to be a good predictor emerge across different time scales (hence, motivation for the above "law"), but they're not equally important/active across all scales.

EDIT: The previous paragraph would still be compatible with "TA is based on the study of past market data, primarily price and volume. This seems to implicate that if the same pattern emerges in the charts in April or June, the conclusions should be the same" I would argue: you could simply be missing one variable, say, something like "total volume necessary until pattern x becomes active/has a strong enough influence on the market".

To come to your counter question, I cannot exclude that a signal is useless (usable?) because it lags. Even more, since this signal is interpreted by humans with neural networks in their heads, they can very well learn how to interpret them without understanding them (as we do with so many things). Simply by training. One doesn't need to have an explicit  model that makes sense. And when many people start acting on a certain signal (even if it's not based on a proper model and it doesn't make sense), the very fact that a significant part of the actors take that signal into account creates a self fulfilling prophecy. So yes, that may very well constitute an exploitable pattern. Wink

That was the point I was trying to make. I believe "chartism"/TA is more than just a self-fulfilling prophecy, but there is some self-fulfilling aspect to it, mainly in the form of the exact points of resistance/support.

What I mean is: Some combination of signals tells traders "market is bearish, even though we're currently going up" (the non circular part of TA). Next question, where exactly to go short? "Hm, let's say DSMA50. Seems like a good place as any." After the first few sell at exactly that point, it becomes a "point of heavy resistance" (the circular part of TA).

Lets agree to disagree.  Cheesy
macsga
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1002

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 11:48:13 AM

Ah, you already edited your post...

Yep, I figured that someone could misunderstood it for "Fidor" accepts SEPA without an account there (which would be utterly wrong). Wink
michaelGedi

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

"to be or not to be, that is the bitcoin"

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 11:49:03 AM

Lets agree to disagree.  Cheesy

inca
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 11:53:12 AM

As expected we drifted back up into 290's. Hopefully some more fiat will arrive at finex today to be lent out and bring down the swap interest rate.

Perhaps an attack on 300 again this week propelled by some good news.

DOI: In any case I just bought on circle again.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 11:59:06 AM

Coin
Explanation
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 12:05:35 PM

If there's just one good thing about the current market condition (slightly boring, slightly leaning upwards) it's that it's possible to have a civilized conversation in here Tongue
inca
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 12:19:27 PM

If there's just one good thing about the current market condition (slightly boring, slightly leaning upwards) it's that it's possible to have a civilized conversation in here Tongue

Oda, I would be keen to hear your current position and market expectations..
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 12:26:18 PM

I am not a TA expert (I just stare at charts without a clearcut method), but my theoretical take on TA is that in order to be successful it has to describe/utilize human valuation psychology (and the bugs and quirks therein).

If that's the case, given that the human brain has a memory function, and thus has been 'trained' by prior price action, it makes sense that your price prediction signals could vary over time as well, no?
inca
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 12:28:48 PM

I am not a TA expert, but my take on TA is that in order to be successful it has to describe/utilize human valuation psychology (and the bugs and quirks therein).

If that's the case, given that the human brain has a memory function, and thus has been 'trained' by prior price action, it makes sense that your price prediction signals could vary over time as well, no?

I generally think of market price movements in terms of the madness and delusion of crowds, rather than the actions of lots of individuals. Does the mob have a memory?
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 12:30:54 PM

Oda, I would be keen to hear your current position and market expectations..

Still mostly long, still undecided where we're heading in the near to mid future. In the simplest terms, there's a strong case for the bears in that the move from Jan looks very much not impulsive (volume wise, and probably also by EW - which I don't really practice though), and there's a strong case for the bulls in that the early Jan capitulation looked very convincing (volume wise again), that we broke a number of long standing resistances (MAs and TLs), and finally that so far, the market seems to shake off any attempt to induce panic selling. If that sounds rather unhelpful, you're entirely right, but that's all I got :/
Bitcoiner_cph

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 12:31:50 PM

I generally think of market price movements in terms of the madness and delusion of crowds, rather than the actions of lots of individuals. Does the mob have a memory?

The boom / bull market can be on now, it can hit 2500-5000 in a few weeks or months. The crowds are getting mad and delusive :0)
asuryan180

Activity: 868

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 12:33:30 PM

The boom / bull market can be on now, it can hit 2500-5000 in a few weeks or months. The crowds are getting mad and delusive :0)

Please don't tell me you believe this lol we are going nowhere near them figures for a long time there is no money coming to make them figures a reality my little sugar plum.
inca
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 12:39:05 PM

Still mostly long, still undecided where we're heading in the near to mid future. In the simplest terms, there's a strong case for the bears in that the move from Jan looks very much not impulsive (volume wise, and probably also by EW - which I don't really practice though), and there's a strong case for the bulls in that the early Jan capitulation looked very convincing (volume wise again), that we broke a number of long standing resistances (MAs and TLs), and finally that so far, the market seems to shake off any attempt to induce panic selling. If that sounds rather unhelpful, you're entirely right, but that's all I got :/

I have a distinct memory in december 2013 of wishing I had been granted a little more time to accumulate coins before the rapid move upwards. I have now accumulated a lot more so that wish has come true. I could have had a lot more but I suspect most people on here were surprised by the length and depth of the bear market in 2014.

I personally am a little bit sceptical we immediately go into bull mode. The January low seems legitimate in terms of being a high volume crash and subsequent reversal though a lot depends on where the price settles in the coming weeks. I expect range trading around this level until some major news later this year or the halving gets close enough to stimulate a FOMO rally. But I didn't predict the last bull run either :p
Pages: « 1 ... 11610 11611 11612 11613 11614 11615 11616 11617 11618 11619 11620 11621 11622 11623 11624 11625 11626 11627 11628 11629 11630 11631 11632 11633 11634 11635 11636 11637 11638 11639 11640 11641 11642 11643 11644 11645 11646 11647 11648 11649 11650 11651 11652 11653 11654 11655 11656 11657 11658 11659 [11660] 11661 11662 11663 11664 11665 11666 11667 11668 11669 11670 11671 11672 11673 11674 11675 11676 11677 11678 11679 11680 11681 11682 11683 11684 11685 11686 11687 11688 11689 11690 11691 11692 11693 11694 11695 11696 11697 11698 11699 11700 11701 11702 11703 11704 11705 11706 11707 11708 11709 11710 ... 33324 »
  Print  

Jump to: