June 28, 2024, 06:34:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 13415 13416 13417 13418 13419 13420 13421 13422 13423 13424 13425 13426 13427 13428 13429 13430 13431 13432 13433 13434 13435 13436 13437 13438 13439 13440 13441 13442 13443 13444 13445 13446 13447 13448 13449 13450 13451 13452 13453 13454 13455 13456 13457 13458 13459 13460 13461 13462 13463 13464 [13465] 13466 13467 13468 13469 13470 13471 13472 13473 13474 13475 13476 13477 13478 13479 13480 13481 13482 13483 13484 13485 13486 13487 13488 13489 13490 13491 13492 13493 13494 13495 13496 13497 13498 13499 13500 13501 13502 13503 13504 13505 13506 13507 13508 13509 13510 13511 13512 13513 13514 13515 ... 33490 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26408166 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 04:46:10 AM

Why not move to BitSharesforum then and give us a break? By the sounds of it it's better right? I mean... it can scale to trillions of transactions, what else could you possibly want.

By "us" you mean you and iCE? oh, I almost forgot the cuddly but distinctly more inept hdbuck.

You couldn't possibly be taking sides with a guy who believe you can buy block space on the blockchain, are you?

Using an admittedly shitty analogy doesn't automatically mean everything he subsequently says is invalid.

I similarly don't write off all of your opinions, despite your recent statement that people might pay $5, 10, 50 to make an entry on your easily replicated, 5 mining pool run, settlement layer.

Good luck easily replicating 500,000,000 GH/s  Cheesy
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2478
Merit: 2146

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 04:46:26 AM

Cheesy

There will be a gang of persons willing to pay  5$, 10$, hell 50$ for complete monetary sovereignty.

These people are presently paying orders of magnitude more to move their money around the world unnoticed.

Any given type of money is only useful to the very rich in that it gets the little people to do stuff for you like build your yacht or pass legislation in your favor. If Bitcoin is supposed to be some token that the wealthy only pass around amongst themselves (it isn't), it will fail.
brg444

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 04:48:51 AM

Cheesy

There will be a gang of persons willing to pay  5$, 10$, hell 50$ for complete monetary sovereignty.

These people are presently paying orders of magnitude more to move their money around the world unnoticed.

Any given type of money is only useful to the very rich in that it gets the little people to do stuff for you like build your yacht or pass legislation in your favor. If Bitcoin is supposed to be some token that the wealthy only pass around amongst themselves (it isn't), it will fail.

Yes, similarly SDRs are known to be worthless  Roll Eyes
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 04:50:09 AM

I'd rather we have 100x more Popescus buy into Bitcoin than a million more "community" retards like you. I learned that from Warren Buffet  Smiley

Ah, Warren "Asset stripping" Buffet, the guy who enriches himself at the expense of turning good strong companies into worthless husks. Appropriate.
Cconvert2G36

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 04:51:03 AM

Why not move to BitSharesforum then and give us a break? By the sounds of it it's better right? I mean... it can scale to trillions of transactions, what else could you possibly want.

By "us" you mean you and iCE? oh, I almost forgot the cuddly but distinctly more inept hdbuck.

You couldn't possibly be taking sides with a guy who believe you can buy block space on the blockchain, are you?

Using an admittedly shitty analogy doesn't automatically mean everything he subsequently says is invalid.

I similarly don't write off all of your opinions, despite your recent statement that people might pay $5, 10, 50 to make an entry on your easily replicated, 5 mining pool run, settlement layer.

Good luck easily replicating 500,000,000 GH/s  Cheesy

People invest in mining coin because of what it can be. Not for what it is today. More fees spread over more transactions is definitely in their interest. If core devs insist on keeping this veneer of control, they would be wise to compromise for 4MB in 2016, and doubling at the halvings.  
brg444

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 04:56:43 AM

I'd rather we have 100x more Popescus buy into Bitcoin than a million more "community" retards like you. I learned that from Warren Buffet  Smiley

Ah, Warren "Asset stripping" Buffet, the guy who enriches himself at the expense of turning good strong companies into worthless husks. Appropriate.

Oh don't get me wrong nowadays he is senile but in his heydays you'd have been hard pressed to find many as sharp a financial mind as he was.
brg444

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 04:59:06 AM

Good luck easily replicating 500,000,000 GH/s  Cheesy

People invest in mining coin because of what it can be. Not for what it is today. More fees spread over more transactions is definitely in their interest. If core devs insist on keeping this veneer of control, they would be wise to compromise for 4MB in 2016, and doubling at the halvings.  

That's actually not how it works.

People invest in mining coins to make a profit. That's it. They do so by mining the chain that holds the most value, value that is entrusted to it by investors.

Don't believe for a second that miners decide what chain to follow or that rules should be set according to what is "in their interest".
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 04:59:21 AM

Explain SDRs to me in a way which doesn't involve currencies that millions, if not billions of people from poorest to richest use in transactions everyday (including "tipping for coffee").
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1779

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 05:01:50 AM

Coin

Explanation
brg444

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 05:03:09 AM

Explain SDRs to me in a way which doesn't involve currencies that millions, if not billions of people from poorest to richest use in transactions everyday (including "tipping for coffee").

Are you really that dense? Would you have preferred I use gold?

You are insinuating that Bitcoin becoming a settlement layer for large value transaction excludes the possibility that it becomes a monetary reserve for open source payment layers and fiat currencies which the "billions of people from poorest to richest" will use in transactions everyday. I personally think that's the likely outcome.
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 05:03:10 AM

Nah, I'd suggest that most miners are in it for the block subsidy right now.

Now, when that goes away and the richest of the rich, well, those who want to keep their currency movements secret, well, those who don't have the "right contacts" to do it for them in the demonstrably corrupt banking system have Bitcoin usage down to a couple of transactions an hour, I guess someone will fire up a GPU miner for beer money.
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 05:05:48 AM

Ah yes, that well known universal settlement mechanism, gold. You watch too many James Bond movies

(Which also happens to be used by billions of people, from rich to poor, in electronics and jewelery BTW)

Once you get to Bitcoin only being a settlement layer between open source payment layers or whatever, you lose the point of bitcoin which is trustless transactions. Those layers will be few enough that trust layers can be built between them and Bitcoin becomes irrelevant.

Which won't happen because big blocks are coming. And they are coming because that is what is needed.
brg444

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 05:06:26 AM

Nah, I'd suggest that most miners are in it for the block subsidy right now.

Now, when that goes away and the richest of the rich, well, those who want to keep their currency movements secret, well, those who don't have the "right contacts" to do it for them in the demonstrably corrupt banking system have Bitcoin usage down to a couple of transactions an hour, I guess someone will fire up a GPU miner for beer money.

Do you propose these shenanigans don't cost them a pretty penny? You do realise corruption involves bribes?

What would you guess is more expensive, Bitcoin transactions or bribes to various bankers, accountant & state officials?
Cconvert2G36

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 05:07:22 AM

People invest in mining coins to make a profit. That's it. They do so by mining the chain that holds the most value, value that is entrusted to it by investors.

Don't believe for a second that miners decide what chain to follow or that rules should be set according to what is "in their interest".

I'm not going to go digging, but you recently were arguing in this thread that bitfury doesn't sell their coins, they're banking on the future, being positive on today's income sheet is secondary. They are using big venture capital money to basically buy huge amounts of coin without pushing the secondary market. This is absolutely forward looking, not investing in today's system that costs $7 or whatever per tx in inflation costs.

Your final statement should stand alone as it succinctly shows your complete misunderstanding of how, and why(!), this whole thing even works.

brg444

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 05:10:45 AM

Ah yes, that well known universal settlement mechanism, gold. You watch too many James Bond movies

(Which also happens to be used by billions of people, from rich to poor, in electronics and jewelery BTW)

Roll Eyes

The good ol' industrial use argument...

While not the same universal settlement mechanism it very much once was, seems to me gold still retains a pretty market cap absent of any actual adoption as money from "billions of people".

But rejoice! Bitcoin is even better than gold at this job.

If independence means freedom, in the emerging Era of Bitcoin, independence means freedom from physicality, both geographic and material. If Germany had its wealth stored in BTC instead of gold, it wouldn’t have to beg the USG to please, pretty please, let it audit its own stores under Manhattan. If Germany stockpiled bitcoin instead of gold, it might actually be an independent nation.

Consider yourself lucky. Seeing as you have realized the "Bitcoin opportunity" sooner than 99% of the world's population you shouldn't have any problem transacting directly on its blockchain in the future.
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 05:10:59 AM

Do you propose these shenanigans don't cost them a pretty penny? You do realise corruption involves bribes?

What would you guess is more expensive, Bitcoin transactions or bribes to various bankers, accountant & state officials?

What do they do when they transfer these bitcoins to their other rich friends, have them transfer them back to them? If you want to use them, you'll have to convert to a real-world currency which can be spent and then you're back in the world of bankers anyway.

So your way is Clandestine $->BTC , $4 transaction fee then clandesting BTC->$

Or just go with the clandestine $ shenanigans anyway.
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 05:12:13 AM

The good ol' industrial use argument...

Actually it is not. Though I can see why you would think that and it's only about 40% because you're dim.
brg444

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 05:15:40 AM

I'm not going to go digging, but you recently were arguing in this thread that bitfury doesn't sell their coins, they're banking on the future, being positive on today's income sheet is secondary. They are using big venture capital money to basically buy huge amounts of coin without pushing the secondary market. This is absolutely forward looking, not investing in today's system that costs $7 or whatever per tx in inflation costs.

Your final statement should stand alone as it succinctly shows your complete misunderstanding of how, and why(!), this whole thing even works.

Hmm wait a minute. Who ever mentioned fiat profit?

Profit, in this case, is denominated in Bitcoin.  Bitfury mines the Bitcoin blockchain simply because it is the most valuable coin. The value is not in the future but now. The fact that it fluctuates is irrelevant.

As for your last comment, what is it you don't agree with? Do you propose miners are origins of Bitcoin value? Or that we should set the rules of the protocol so as to maximize their profits regardless of the costs externalized to other participants?
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 05:17:41 AM

If independence means freedom, in the emerging Era of Bitcoin, independence means freedom from physicality, both geographic and material. If Germany had its wealth stored in BTC instead of gold, it wouldn’t have to beg the USG to please, pretty please, let it audit its own stores under Manhattan. If Germany stockpiled bitcoin instead of gold, it might actually be an independent nation.

Consider yourself lucky. Seeing as you have realized the "Bitcoin opportunity" sooner than 99% of the world's population you shouldn't have any problem transacting directly on its blockchain in the future.

There's not enough value of Bitcoin for Germany to do that currently. We're playing in the shallow end of the pool and if Bitcoin is going to do anything serious, it's going to have to learn to swim. I have little doubt it will though. And that will mean bigger blocks, one way or another.
brg444

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 05:18:21 AM

What do they do when they transfer these bitcoins to their other rich friends, have them transfer them back to them? If you want to use them, you'll have to convert to a real-world currency which can be spent and then you're back in the world of bankers anyway.

So your way is Clandestine $->BTC , $4 transaction fee then clandesting BTC->$

Or just go with the clandestine $ shenanigans anyway.

Huh

Bitcoin is not a real-world currency?

I can understand that your mind is programmed to think in terms of fiat but I would ask that you come up with a hint of foresight so that we can proceed with this conversation...

If everyone and their rich friends are using Bitcoin to preserve their monetary sovereignty why would they ever convert their money back to fiat?
Pages: « 1 ... 13415 13416 13417 13418 13419 13420 13421 13422 13423 13424 13425 13426 13427 13428 13429 13430 13431 13432 13433 13434 13435 13436 13437 13438 13439 13440 13441 13442 13443 13444 13445 13446 13447 13448 13449 13450 13451 13452 13453 13454 13455 13456 13457 13458 13459 13460 13461 13462 13463 13464 [13465] 13466 13467 13468 13469 13470 13471 13472 13473 13474 13475 13476 13477 13478 13479 13480 13481 13482 13483 13484 13485 13486 13487 13488 13489 13490 13491 13492 13493 13494 13495 13496 13497 13498 13499 13500 13501 13502 13503 13504 13505 13506 13507 13508 13509 13510 13511 13512 13513 13514 13515 ... 33490 »
  Print  

Jump to: