June 19, 2024, 06:41:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 16767 16768 16769 16770 16771 16772 16773 16774 16775 16776 16777 16778 16779 16780 16781 16782 16783 16784 16785 16786 16787 16788 16789 16790 16791 16792 16793 16794 16795 16796 16797 16798 16799 16800 16801 16802 16803 16804 16805 16806 16807 16808 16809 16810 16811 16812 16813 16814 16815 16816 [16817] 16818 16819 16820 16821 16822 16823 16824 16825 16826 16827 16828 16829 16830 16831 16832 16833 16834 16835 16836 16837 16838 16839 16840 16841 16842 16843 16844 16845 16846 16847 16848 16849 16850 16851 16852 16853 16854 16855 16856 16857 16858 16859 16860 16861 16862 16863 16864 16865 16866 16867 ... 33461 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26403280 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 11:42:06 PM

Also, if you have 12BTC on a software wallet my advice inmediately changes to: Buy a hardware wallet NOW!
What's wrong with a software wallet? Mine is password protected, stored in a veracrypt volume, which is stored on my encrypted /home partition, and included in several backups stored in different air-gaped locations and only ever connected one at a time. (and most importantly, I'm not running a toy operating system.)

Well, you are describing it perfectly. I can have better security with my hardware wallet without needing any special security measures. I could even use it on "public" computer.

I say "better security" because no matter how many layers of encryption you may be using... at some time you would need your computer to access the wallet in "plaintext" to sign the transactions and that opens an attack vector.

It's much better to have the signing be done inside a specialized hardware....

Plus it is amazingly more convenient to use.

Arcteryx

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

EtherSphere - Social Games

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 11:43:48 PM

Price is going insane right now! Shocked
Can't see any sane person selling any of their stash right now until it slows down a bit.
Can see it going to $1700 buy the end of the week. Cool
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 11:50:43 PM

Meanwhile scrolling through threads of 2015 and the 300 dollar prices... Boy aren't we glad those days are finally over. With these trends 2500 is definitely possible by the end of the year, never set your sights too low with bitcoin Smiley

$2500 is possible next month. By the end of the year $10,000 is possible!

More and more people find out that selling bitcoin at next ATH and wait for correction to buy back is very stupid. Soon nobody will sell at whatever price and then price will go parabolic.
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2017, 11:58:26 PM

Also, if you have 12BTC on a software wallet my advice inmediately changes to: Buy a hardware wallet NOW!
What's wrong with a software wallet? Mine is password protected, stored in a veracrypt volume, which is stored on my encrypted /home partition, and included in several backups stored in different air-gaped locations and only ever connected one at a time. (and most importantly, I'm not running a toy operating system.)

The problem is increasingly sophisticated bitcoin malware. One guy on reddit last week lost 16 bitcoin from Bitcoin Core that was password protected. His hygiene may not have been as good as yours but your password is briefly vulnerable when you open your wallet. Hardware wallets are cheap now. 
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 12:03:16 AM

Meanwhile scrolling through threads of 2015 and the 300 dollar prices... Boy aren't we glad those days are finally over. With these trends 2500 is definitely possible by the end of the year, never set your sights too low with bitcoin Smiley

$2500 is possible next month. By the end of the year $10,000 is possible!

More and more people find out that selling bitcoin at next ATH and wait for correction to buy back is very stupid. Soon nobody will sell at whatever price and then price will go parabolic.
I haven't even spent large amounts of money since I bought at 600 and I don't plan on doing so unless an emergency arises or I really need it. If anything the rise is inevitable and anybody who says otherwise is likely an Altcoiner who's crying over selling their coins when they were cheaper. A fact not many know is that up to this month, anybody who has ever bought BTC and held has made profit, no matter at what price, assuming they have not sold. HODL ON!
Arcteryx

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

EtherSphere - Social Games

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 12:21:32 AM

Uh so soon?
Now that was sooner than predicted by anyone here I would like to think. Undecided
DieJohnny
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 12:57:12 AM

Well, you are describing it perfectly. I can have better security with my hardware wallet without needing any special security measures. I could even use it on "public" computer.

I say "better security" because no matter how many layers of encryption you may be using... at some time you would need your computer to access the wallet in "plaintext" to sign the transactions and that opens an attack vector.

I have been saying this same thing for four years, but I would take it a step further. Easiest and best way to secure your Bitcoin is printing your address and putting two copies in different safe deposit boxes. Then return 10 years later a millionaire.

Software wallets for even moderately competent tech people are complete jokes: passwords, veracrypt?, home partition encrypted, multiple backups, air gapped storage, military grade cement vaults, across continents, different governing body, multi sig, documented access protocol, protocol encrypted, protocol stored in multiple backup locations......OMFG
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 01:01:23 AM

I have been saying this same thing for four years, but I would take it a step further. Easiest and best way to secure your Bitcoin is printing your address and putting two copies in different safe deposit boxes. Then return 10 years later a millionaire.

Software wallets for even moderately competent tech people are complete jokes: passwords, veracrypt?, home partition encrypted, multiple backups, air gapped storage, military grade cement vaults, across continents, different governing body, multi sig, documented access protocol, protocol encrypted, protocol stored in multiple backup locations......OMFG
But what if both of those printed wallets happen to burn or become illegible and it's all gone? Nothing's perfect, we just all try to make it as good as possible. I keep my bitcoin on an old phone with nothing else installed on it that is only connected to WiFi when I make transactions. Works for me just fine, no thievery or anything big and I've had coins since around 2014.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 01:03:00 AM

There ain't no safe deposit boxes within 100 miles of me, not that I trust the hosts not to make a giant balls up of it eventually. As ever, you're trusting someone else not to screw things up.
bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 01:26:38 AM

You are missing my point. Paperwallets also have its use case but... HOW DO YOU PLAN TO CONVERT THEM BACK TO BTC (MOVE THEM) WITHOUT USING A SOFTWARE WALLET?!??!!?

For god's sake, why can't people just follow my advice and buy a damn hardware wallet! Smiley
deepcolderwallet

Activity: 294
Merit: 103

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 01:28:22 AM

I solved this problem without having to spend money on a hardware wallet by
1- removing SIM card and factory-resetting my old phone, immediately putting it into airplane mode (wi-fi, bluetooth and everything else also manually disabled) and ENCRYPTING WITH STRONG PASSWORD (not draw pattern);
2- installing Electrum via APK stored on micro-SD;
3- generating new wallet in this air-gapped phone, then I imported x-pub to everyday brand new phone.

Now I can see balance, receive bitcoin and create unsigned transactions on the connected phone, then old phone signs transactions via QR-code.

Cheap and easy.
bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 01:34:19 AM

1- removing SIM card and factory-resetting my old phone, immediately putting it into airplane mode (wi-fi, bluetooth and everything else also manually disabled) and ENCRYPTING WITH STRONG PASSWORD (not draw pattern);
3- generating new wallet in this air-gapped phone, then I imported x-pub to everyday brand new phone.

Now I can see balance, receive bitcoin and create unsigned transactions on the connected phone, then old phone signs transactions via QR-code.

Cheap and easy.

Ok, not bad, you basically have a DIY hardware wallet. Still not as much secure (physical access to phone and chip-off technique among others) and certainly not as convenient to use as a commercial hardware wallet.... But yes, its ok.

Hardware wallets are now less than $100 anyways.... That's also cheap, and easier.
deepcolderwallet

Activity: 294
Merit: 103

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 01:39:58 AM

Cheap and easy.

Ok, not bad, you basically have a DIY hardware wallet. Still not as much secure (physical access to phone and chip-off technique among others) and certainly not as convenient to use as a commercial hardware wallet.... But yes, its ok.

Hardware wallets are now less than $100 anyways.... That's still cheap, and easier.

Not forgetting that I always have Electrum's seed (written down, memorized, hidden, scrambled within books, etc)
Paashaas
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 4425

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 01:52:33 AM

bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 01:57:45 AM

Cheap and easy.

Hardware wallets are now less than $100 anyways.... That's still cheap, and easier.

Not forgetting that I always have Electrum's seed (written down, memorized, hidden, scrambled within books, etc)

Oh yes, I also have the seed of my hardware wallet conveniently stored... But I prefer not to talk much about how. I guess that's something everyone can figure the better way for them.
bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 01:59:14 AM

Not yet. Is it a prediction for THIS week? Smiley
Johnny00

Activity: 896
Merit: 553

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 02:05:53 AM

You are missing my point. Paperwallets also have its use case but... HOW DO YOU PLAN TO CONVERT THEM BACK TO BTC (MOVE THEM) WITHOUT USING A SOFTWARE WALLET?!??!!?

For god's sake, why can't people just follow my advice and buy a damn hardware wallet! Smiley

What's the best hardware Wallet? PM me please
Karpeles
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 02:12:20 AM

What's the best hardware Wallet? PM me please

there is a topic only for hardware wallets review

OVERVIEW: BITCOIN HARDWARE WALLETS

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=899253.0

droizs

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 02:15:18 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB1l-7WNtT8&t
Even with HW the dumb ones can still easily lose all BTC's. This guy is even trying to bribe ledger... bahahahah

Bury your fucking seed and/or divide the seed into 3 parts and give each one to 3 different trustworthy persons.
This can be a good solution if you have a place to bury and don't want to take the risk of the seed end up destroyed underground: cryptosteel.com

Ah... I almost forgot

Paashaas
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 4425

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 02:29:35 AM

Not yet. Is it a prediction for THIS week? Smiley

Yhea, i predict a nice $1600-$1800 range this week.
Pages: « 1 ... 16767 16768 16769 16770 16771 16772 16773 16774 16775 16776 16777 16778 16779 16780 16781 16782 16783 16784 16785 16786 16787 16788 16789 16790 16791 16792 16793 16794 16795 16796 16797 16798 16799 16800 16801 16802 16803 16804 16805 16806 16807 16808 16809 16810 16811 16812 16813 16814 16815 16816 [16817] 16818 16819 16820 16821 16822 16823 16824 16825 16826 16827 16828 16829 16830 16831 16832 16833 16834 16835 16836 16837 16838 16839 16840 16841 16842 16843 16844 16845 16846 16847 16848 16849 16850 16851 16852 16853 16854 16855 16856 16857 16858 16859 16860 16861 16862 16863 16864 16865 16866 16867 ... 33461 »
  Print  

Jump to: