April 25, 2024, 07:47:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 ... 33300 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26367593 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:39:50 AM

This is quite scary. Let's analyze the facts:

• the interest in bitcoin is fading out after the crash, just check the google trend: https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=bitcoin&date=today%203-m&cmpt=q
  • there's still a lot of money at Gox, a lot of fresh money was delayed because of their epic queue, but you can bet that from now on the flow of fresh money will be slower (just check the google trend)

I think this rally needs to be supported by REAL news that improve the fundamentals, otherwise it will be just a trap before a slow decline.

IMHO, the best news would be a new company offering unlimited amounts of BTC for cash immediately - buying your first BTC is still slow and painful, and the first one changing that fact will really boost BTC.
The google thing isn't all that surprising. People saw the price drop and lost their excitement. It'll come back eventually and many will have missed the train.

Well, people loosing their excitement is a fact; people coming back massively after a "cool down" and a growth in fundamentals (more bitcoin businesses, etc.) is also very probable.

But this does not invalidate the fact that this short term rally seems unsustainable and a trap. Investors who were delayed by the queue at Gox and got their money in after the crash (we are speaking about MILLIONS of $ and many thousands of individuals) are not going to be in the mood for "buy and hold" like at the beginning of the bubble.

Again, the market is so illiquid that a big dump can take us all the way back to $50ish in the blink of an eye. And I don't see the enthusiasm to prevent that from happening.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Sword Smith

Activity: 406
Merit: 286

Neptune, Scalable Privacy

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 08:42:55 AM

• the interest in bitcoin is fading out after the crash, just check the google trend: https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=bitcoin&date=today%203-m&cmpt=q
  • there's still a lot of money at Gox, a lot of fresh money was delayed because of their epic queue, but you can bet that from now on the flow of fresh money will be slower (just check the google trend)

I think this rally needs to be supported by REAL news that improve the fundamentals, otherwise it will be just a trap before a slow decline.

IMHO, the best news would be a new company offering unlimited amounts of BTC for cash immediately - buying your first BTC is still slow and painful, and the first one changing that fact will really boost BTC.
I am fairly convinced that the causality is the opposite of what you describe. Sure, price and number of Google searches are correlated but correlation does not imply causation. It is rising prices that drive interest, not the other way around.
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:46:22 AM

The google thing isn't all that surprising. People saw the price drop and lost their excitement. It'll come back eventually and many will have missed the train.

Well, people loosing their excitement is a fact; people coming back massively after a "cool down" and a growth in fundamentals (more bitcoin businesses, etc.) is also very probable.

But this does not invalidate the fact that this short term rally seems unsustainable and a trap. Investors who were delayed by the queue at Gox and got their money in after the crash (we are speaking about MILLIONS of $ and many thousands of individuals) are not going to be in the mood for "buy and hold" like at the beginning of the bubble.

Again, the market is so illiquid that a big dump can take us all the way back to $50ish in the blink of an eye. And I don't see the enthusiasm to prevent that from happening.

In the blink of an eye and then get really scared when you find out you just sold at $50 and the bids don't nudge.

200 million dollars were spent on buying at $50-$100, that's about enough confidence I will need, and bears don't have a magic infinitely deep pocket, there are only so many bitcoins for sale.
lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:48:18 AM

In other news, fiat waiting to be coins is still increasing and available coins decreasing. There's 5 million in cash alone just above 120 (where we were 36 hours ago) just waiting to get in.

At this point I think 170 by week end is not unrealistic.
Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:51:02 AM

In the blink of an eye and then get really scared when you find out you just sold at $50 and the bids don't nudge.

200 million dollars were spent on buying at $50-$100, that's about enough confidence I will need, and bears don't have a magic infinitely deep pocket, there are only so many bitcoins for sale.

That's true. What scares me is what will happen when those who bought at $80ish to $100ish are going to cash out at $160 to $200. As I said earlier, the feeling is not any more "buy and hold" (which lead to parabolic growth), people is much more cautious now.
NamelessOne
Legendary

Activity: 840

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:56:10 AM

I'd imagine those people getting itchy to sell will simply help create resistance by selling. But eventually they will be overcome.
Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:59:23 AM

I am fairly convinced that the causality is the opposite of what you describe. Sure, price and number of Google searches are correlated but correlation does not imply causation. It is rising prices that drive interest, not the other way around.

Sure, what leads to exponential growth in investors base is the price rise, and there is where it starts the bubble kind of growth, but what drives the price higher in first place is real growth in BTC economy (real businesses, etc.), which increases the demand of BTC for non-speculative matters, thus boosting positive media attention and attracting tons of speculative investors....

Is like a circle...
oakpacific

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 09:01:33 AM

That's true. What scares me is what will happen when those who bought at $80ish to $100ish are going to cash out at $160 to $200. As I said earlier, the feeling is not any more "buy and hold" (which lead to parabolic growth), people is much more cautious now.

If you are cautious, then I suspect you will not panic so easily and sell on a slight change of the wind direction, right? While smart investors usually initiate a crash, it has to be the panic sellers who execute them, no crash can happen without panic sellers, and they hardly buy back cheaper, else everybody will be a winner, so when they sold out they are out. I think even if the price moves down this time, it will be considerably less violent. The next panic sell will have to wait until after another crazy buying spree when irrational buyers put in what they can't afford to lose.

Another thing is: the crash was only so crazy thanks to the characteristics of Bitcoin itself:the whole global stock can be moved to the exchanges for sale in a matter of hours, which is unprecedented, so bears won the first move, but after they get their fiats they will have to deal with the reality of the banking system:you can only move so much in a day, so what will happen when they wait impatiently while watching the price slowly rebounds? Hmmm....
NamelessOne
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 09:04:54 AM

Also, the google chart really has searches falling back to end of March, early April levels which really isn't all the bad. It is vastly higher than it has been any other time than June 2011.  Cheesy
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 09:06:31 AM

I see what you did there - sold 700 coins at 147, and getting itchy about the buyback point not coming yet.

To bail out or not to bail out; that is the question.

Hint: do not bail out, it will crash to the prev. resistance, now support at $130-$135, I am 75% we get there in 24 hours. Relax and let the swing play out.
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 09:08:46 AM

The fact that people are more cautious now actually prevents a big crash from happening. Overconfidence leads to big crashes.
Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 09:09:35 AM

If you are cautious, then I suspect you will not panic so easily and sell on a slight change of the wind direction, right? While smart investors usually initiate a crash, it has to be the panic sellers who execute them, no crash can happen without panic sellers, and they hardly buy back cheaper, else everybody will be a winner, so when they sold out they are out. I think even if the price moves down this time, it will be considerably less violent. The next panic sell will have to wait until after another crazy buying spree when irrational buyers put in what they can't afford to lose.

Another thing is: the crash was only so crazy thanks to the characteristics of Bitcoin itself:the whole global stock can be moved to the exchanges for sale in a matter of hours, which is unprecedented, so bears won the first move, but after they get their fiats they will have to deal with the reality of the banking system:you can only move so much in a day, so what will happen when they wait impatiently while watching the price slowly rebounds? Hmmm....

That's true. The system is fucked up also because it is so difficult to "cash out" a significant amount of money. Have you ever tried to cash out something above $500k from Gox? You can bet it is a fucking pain in the ass. Big commissions, painfully slow verification process (notarization, apostille, huge queue, etc.) and HUGE DELAY in processing withdrawals. When you made $500k from your $20k investment you are not used to move that amount of money, thus you get nervous when you see your money is stuck for 20/25 days at a Japanese company run by a guy in his 20s, constantly hit by DDoS and apparently unable to manage their own growth.

For serious money (i mean serious money) to enter BTC we need much more reliable infrastructure.
oakpacific

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 09:11:46 AM

That's true. The system is fucked up also because it is so difficult to "cash out" a significant amount of money. Have you ever tried to cash out something above $500k from Gox? You can bet it is a fucking pain in the ass. Big commissions, painfully slow verification process (notarization, apostille, huge queue, etc.) and HUGE DELAY in processing withdrawals. When you made $500k from your $20k investment you are not used to move that amount of money, thus you get nervous when you see your money is stuck for 20/25 days at a Japanese company run by a guy in his 20s, constantly hit by DDoS and apparently unable to manage their own growth.

For serious money (i mean serious money) to enter BTC we need much more reliable infrastructure.

It's not just the problem of Gox, every bank wants to restrict you when it comes to withdrawal of large amount of money, they usually only keep the minimum amount of reserve required so it will always be a PITA.
Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 09:15:34 AM

It's not just the problem of Gox, every bank wants to restrict you when it comes to withdrawal of money, they usually only keep the minimum amount of reserve required so it will always be a PITA.

Well, that's true if you want CASH from your bank - but when you are moving "electronic" money from one account/bank to another you don't need more than 2/3 business days, many times with 1 day is enough, and its very unlikely your money will never go through. With Gox you may have to wait for almost a month with your withdrawal on "processing", and the fear the money will never come out because of hack, shut down by law enforcement, scam, whatever, is high.
Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 09:16:29 AM

Also, the google chart really has searches falling back to end of March, early April levels which really isn't all the bad. It is vastly higher than it has been any other time than June 2011.  Cheesy

That is today. If the downtrend in interest continues, in 2 weeks we will be at December 2012 interest levels.
oakpacific

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 09:17:55 AM

It's not just the problem of Gox, every bank wants to restrict you when it comes to withdrawal of money, they usually only keep the minimum amount of reserve required so it will always be a PITA.

Well, that's true if you want CASH from your bank - but when you are moving "electronic" money from one account/bank to another you don't need more than 2/3 business days, many times with 1 day is enough, and its very unlikely your money will never go through. With Gox you may have to wait for almost a month with your withdrawal on "processing", and the fear the money will never come out because of hack, shut down by law enforcement, scam, whatever, is high.

For small account holders like me, definitely that's the case. But I am not sure if they would still be so generous if I were to process tens of millions of dollars worth of withdrawals per month. But yes, it's quite obvious Gox can't keep up with it as well.
NamelessOne
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 09:20:39 AM

Only 7800btc to get through 150. A lot of that wall disappeared in the last 5 hours.
oakpacific

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 09:21:23 AM

Only 7800btc to get through 150. A lot of that wall disappeared in the last 5 hours.

Some of them actually got sold into the bid side I believe.
NamelessOne
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 09:22:21 AM

Some of them actually got sold into the bid side I believe.
Yes I believe so also, it was a big help in ripping that wall down hehe.

EDIT: Only 5400btc left to 150 now, haha.  Grin

EDIT 2: 4800btc left to 150. Dropping fast!
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 09:24:53 AM

looks like Mr $150 moved his sell order lol..at least some of it.
Pages: « 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 ... 33300 »
  Print  

Jump to: