May 03, 2024, 12:13:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 30016 30017 30018 30019 30020 30021 30022 30023 30024 30025 30026 30027 30028 30029 30030 30031 30032 30033 30034 30035 30036 30037 30038 30039 30040 30041 30042 30043 30044 30045 30046 30047 30048 30049 30050 30051 30052 30053 30054 30055 30056 30057 30058 30059 30060 30061 30062 30063 30064 30065 [30066] 30067 30068 30069 30070 30071 30072 30073 30074 30075 30076 30077 30078 30079 30080 30081 30082 30083 30084 30085 30086 30087 30088 30089 30090 30091 30092 30093 30094 30095 30096 30097 30098 30099 30100 30101 30102 30103 30104 30105 30106 30107 30108 30109 30110 30111 30112 30113 30114 30115 30116 ... 33318 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26371339 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
DaRude
Legendary

Activity: 2778
Merit: 1791

In order to dump coins one must have coins

View Profile
January 25, 2022, 10:13:39 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

A little bit of light on a dim Monday.  I feel exactly zero sympathy for this asshole.  I feel a little bit for his family.  But I watched him personally cheer on the lawsuits coming out of the project he supported.

What he built was so CLOSE to a good idea but based on such a bad idea there was no saving it.

One more thing.

He STILL hasn't learned his lesson.  Twetch did not fail because of bad PR!  It failed EXACTLY BECAUSE it was anchored to a centralized chain and the centralized actors decided to kick him out, and the market was wise enough to also value the centralized project where it belonged.  But this is just the sort of failure that awaits those who build on a centralized blockchain and then do not stay on the right side of those who control the database...  Twetch did not fail because Calvin likes little girls.  It failed because the idea of writing the entire internet to a blockchain is a retarded.

Asshole still doesn't get it.  (Sorry to any of you WO brothers who still hold out hope for the big chains.)

For some reason i was thinking that watching that shitshow BSv fall apart would be more enjoyable. Instead it's like watching cult followers coming outside after the cult has collapsed, they're scared, they don't know what to do next, they reveal the true cost of the cult on themselves and their families, and they're asking for forgiveness. At least he had the intelligence to finally open his eyes, but as you said he's still oblivious to the true root cause of his failure, that he built on a closed/centralized chain.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
strawbs
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1340

View Profile
January 25, 2022, 10:23:18 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1), Torque (1)

AFP News Agency
@AFP
#BREAKING IMF urges El Salvador to remove Bitcoin as legal tender
7:59 PM · Jan 25, 2022·TweetDeck

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1486051087736094729

EDIT: IMF seriously legitimating our lil fiend. This is bigTM.

I clicked on your link and I was reminded why I never visit Twitter - the comments by anti-bitcoiners demonstrate quite depressingly how little people understand what bitcoin is, why it was created and what it is going to achieve. We have a lot of work to do to change minds, but at least the likes of Bukele are  pushing things forward. I just hope that other countries in similar positions to El Salvador have the courage to follow suit before pressure from the IMF and other actors becomes too much for El Salvador to bear on its own. We could do with several more South American presidents taking a leaf from Bukele's book.
UnDerDoG81
Legendary

Activity: 2179
Merit: 1201

View Profile
January 25, 2022, 10:28:28 PM

Yesterday I saw a video on Tiktok from this Pablo guy (thinks he is Bitcoin Jesus). He is saying that Michael Saylor bought almost all of his Bitcoin in leverage, that he is only the CEO of Microstrategy and that if the others want, they can panic sell all Bitcoins without MS agreeing to it and that he lost trillions in the dot com bubble. I was always suspicious about Michael Saylor, but then again, I never trust rich people.

I have no clue about all this and wonder what you all think about this? Will MS be the new MtGox who will cause the next Bitcoin crash at some point?

A man on the internet (ie a random fuckwit) said "any old shit"     so it must be true.

As Jay said just sell all your coins now you don't need an excuse

But it wont make you any less stressed out as your fiat will have devalued 30% over next 4 years while you will never afford to buy those bitcoin back.

DYOR on MSTR the NASDAQ listed company.

Men this place has become so toxic. It was just a question of what others think. But the bashing was predictable. Jay is on my ignore list for a long time already so I ignore his toxic bs... Only a handful members are worth reading their posts nowadays...
PoolMinor
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1338

XXXVII Fnord is toast without bread

View Profile
January 25, 2022, 10:37:04 PM
Merited by Richy_T (1)

I do gather that you, richie, are inclined to follow the price follows hashrate nonsense,

Let me stop you right there. That is by no means the case and I don't believe I have ever stated anything that could even be construed as such.

As far as I'm concerned, we're in a process where Bitcoin is trying to find where its price matches its value (and I believe we are quite a long way yet) via the market discovery process. Along the way that will be moderated by a variety of mechanisms which I won't go into here but a little logic shows that this can only be accomplished via a volatile process (how volatile it needs to be is an interesting question but the actuality is that it has been violently volatile). This process seems to be fairly well divorced from the hashrate.

Now, the mechanism for hashrate seems to be "If Bitcoin is profitable, buy more equipment". That does potentially link hashrate and price (but not in the direction that the opinion you incorrectly ascribe to me would suggest). However, as Bitcoin as near as dammit always been profitable, the restricting factor has been equipment availability which has lead to a total divorce between the two concepts. I will say that on at least one occasion, miners have surprised me by being willing to be patient for future profits rather than following pragmatism but they surely had good reason and that doesn't really affect things much.

Well I am glad that you stated your position more specifically, and surely I am not proclaiming that any of us will be able to articulate the many ways that bitcoin price moves in one direction or another whether we are talking about short-term or long term, but those fairly simplified assertions that BTC price is lead by hashrate seem quite wanting in terms of their explanations and I am glad to hear that are not falling in that camp.  

For sure, even if we might be asserting that BTC price does not necessarily follow hashrate or mining costs, for sure, for whatever reasons, there are going to be short-term correlations, and for sure a decently large numbers of miners are motivated by either current price or their speculations about future price, whether short-term, long-term or speculating about various aspects of operating their business that might also have some relationships to BTC price movements.. and for sure uncertainties too.. that are not just about BTC price, directly - such as energy costs or like you mentioned, cost and availability of some kinds of equipment or parts - or maybe another somewhat unrelated cost that you mentioned a while back.. the cost of wood to build a shed.. for example..

I may have mislead the bulk of you in what I meant in regards to miner's revenue and difficulty/hashrate.

The point was much deeper than hashrate, mining infrastructure has always dictated what equipment is available to the public. If it weren't for the lack of BFL Jalapenos I would probably not heard of Bitcoin for another year after I did.
Bitcoin is an peer-to-peer electronic "cache" system. It is a distributed ledger that stores data across the world. The price to pay to store information in the blockchain is paid by tx fee. The mining equipment and companies/people that are willing to store the database and run the software to support the network of transactions get rewarded with BTC. Currently the price to mine 1 BTC is ~$24,000. The price of Bitcoin is too high according to this data. Fortunately the supply is less than the demand thus affording the price to be higher than what it "costs" to mine.
Yes speculation plays a role but it is mainly driven by the mining infrastructure. Supply chain disruptions have had a reasonable effect on what should have been escalating difficulty thus driving cost of mining higher.

Also Lightning network turned Bitcoin into POS; robbing miners of the tx fees since those txs on LN aren't on-chain. Likely this did not have much difference but worth noting
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
January 25, 2022, 10:38:38 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1), suchmoon (1)

Yesterday I saw a video on Tiktok from this Pablo guy (thinks he is Bitcoin Jesus). He is saying that Michael Saylor bought almost all of his Bitcoin in leverage, that he is only the CEO of Microstrategy and that if the others want, they can panic sell all Bitcoins without MS agreeing to it and that he lost trillions in the dot com bubble. I was always suspicious about Michael Saylor, but then again, I never trust rich people.

I have no clue about all this and wonder what you all think about this? Will MS be the new MtGox who will cause the next Bitcoin crash at some point?

A man on the internet (ie a random fuckwit) said "any old shit"     so it must be true.

But it wont make you any less stressed out as your fiat will have devalued 30% over next 4 years while you will never afford to buy those bitcoin back.

Men this place has become so toxic. It was just a question of what others think. But the bashing was predictable. Jay is on my ignore list for a long time already so I ignore his toxic bs... Only a handful members are worth reading their posts nowadays...

Internet suicides are always so underwhelming.  I wish you the best sir.  But I do not see this place as all that toxic... You should have been an a mac vs pc usenet group... or early linux kernel mailing lists.  'Round here people speak their mind and call each other out of their perceived BS... It's not that bad.

The point you were making had some merit.  Saylor is a great asset to the bitcoin community, but that makes him a powerful point of failure as well.  But the point  being made back was also good.  Since he is the head of a publicly traded company he cannot exactly do a rug pull.

And what do you suggest, that he cannot sell when he chooses to just because he has a big position?

I want Bitcoin to remain as unregulated as possible.
strawbs
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1340

View Profile
January 25, 2022, 10:41:08 PM
Merited by JimboToronto (1), JayJuanGee (1), Farmer Bill (1)

A man on the internet (ie a random fuckwit) said "any old shit"     so it must be true.

Michael Saylor announced his intention to hold BTC on Microstrategy's balance sheet well before doing so. He then offered to buy back the shares of any existing shareholders who were not happy with this new policy. He displayed exemplary transparency. No mention of leverage.

This information is readily found in the public domain, so even the slightest bit of digging would show that this guy called Pablo on TikTok is full of shit.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
January 25, 2022, 11:01:25 PM

Explanation
somac.
Legendary

Activity: 2056
Merit: 1188

Never selling

View Profile
January 25, 2022, 11:21:32 PM

Seriously though, there's this saying that goes "verify, don't trust" that applies to people on TikTok too, actually it applies to anything anyone says.
fillippone
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 15449

Fully fledged Merit Cycler - Golden Feather 22-23

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2022, 11:45:14 PM
Last edit: May 15, 2023, 05:39:21 PM by fillippone
Merited by JayJuanGee (2)

Badly needed hopium:

Katie Wood Sees one Bitcoin worth 1.36 Millions in 2030, and here explains why.

DaRude
Legendary

Activity: 2778
Merit: 1791

In order to dump coins one must have coins

View Profile
January 25, 2022, 11:56:29 PM
Merited by ivomm (2), JayJuanGee (1), Farmer Bill (1)

There is something that bothers me for some time. If someone knows the answers, it would be nice to share them. It is about the derivate markets. It is clear that the cash settled futures contract divert money from acutal invesment in Bitcoin, thus creating an artificial paper liquidity. My quiestion is whether what is happening on the derivate exchanges can lead to a pump/dump of the spot exchanges? It is supposed that derivate exchanges follow the spot exchanges with their index price, not vice  versa, but is this the reality? I have the gut feeling that the spot exchange traders look at the derivate exchanges and if they see a dump there, they also sell. Which is illogical especially for the cash settled contracts. Because nobody can transfer a paper bitcoin and sell it on a spot exchange. But the daily traders have proved many times they have no clue about... anything, even basic math. Also, I wonder if Binance has a physical futures contracts like bakkt,  because a lot of derivate trade is going on there lately and it seems to has an impact on the spot price.

Can paper derivatives effect the underlying? Yes. Can it get to the point where the tail's wagging the dog? Possible, and therere examples in history when that happened, but i don't believe that it's happening with BTC.

Just a hypothetical, lets image you have 100.000 cash settled futures contracts which you got at an average price of $40.000/BTC, they expire today and lets say they use exchange's XYZ spot as a reference rate.
Imagine that current spot on XYZ is $37.500.
1-You don't do anything, Futures settle at $37,5k, you loose $2.500 per contract so you're down $250MM total. That sucks!

2-You look at XYZ and notice that the ask side of the book is pretty thin, you estimate that there will only be BTC5.000 for sale between $37,5k and $42,5k. You transfer $200MM to XYZ and buy everything in sight until $42.5k.
=You're successful and price closes at $42,5k. You're up $2,5k per contract or $250M from futures, but you bought BTC5k for $200MM, so you end up with $50MM and BTC5k profit.
=You're not successful and market actually moves against you and settles at $35k. You lost $500MM on futures, and paid $200M for BTC5k which are now only worth $175MM. -525MM REKT

And it works the other way around. If you sold futures, and then try to short the spot to bring it down so you're more profitable.

Problem is you need to corner the market to be able to pull this off, and there are always bigger whales. Futures platforms are not that dumb too, so theyre using weighted averages across multiple exchanges as a reference rate https://www.cmegroup.com/trading/cryptocurrency-indices/cf-bitcoin-reference-rate.html

There are hedge fund market makers and then there are youtube daily traders that cant do basic math. Don't confuse the two.

BAKKT is not even on a map anymore, do they even still offer BTC futures? Binance is currently the biggest dog and believe they're BTC settled. https://analytics.skew.com/dashboard/bitcoin-futures

Edit: fillippone popped in right on time, he has a whole thread on futures https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5188060
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2022, 12:01:34 AM

Explanation
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
January 26, 2022, 12:02:14 AM

gaming the close on futures is illegal.  However gaming the spot price in bitcoin is hardly enforceable...
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2022, 01:01:25 AM

Explanation
d_eddie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 2899

View Profile
January 26, 2022, 01:14:02 AM
Merited by Copetech (1)

Q: "When do I push the BUY button?"

Unclear words of wisdom by Artie 'Sharkey' Hayes ;-)

https://blog.bitmex.com/bottomless/

TL;DR: I want to see 28.5k to call a bottom. Will it actually happen? Not necessarily. Look at corporate bond rate spread for a glance into the near future.
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3556
Merit: 5041

View Profile
January 26, 2022, 01:44:38 AM
Merited by BobLawblaw (2)

AFP News Agency
@AFP
#BREAKING IMF urges El Salvador to remove Bitcoin as legal tender
7:59 PM · Jan 25, 2022·TweetDeck

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1486051087736094729

I hope Nayib in turn urges the IMF to go suck of a bag of dicks.
d_eddie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 2899

View Profile
January 26, 2022, 01:50:06 AM

@Torque - And what if...

Paranoia Corner

The IMF is so pissed off by Bukele that they will actively suppress* bitcoin, already in a rough spot at the moment, just to be able to say "We told you! Guys, see what happens when you leave good, reliable fiat for crazy internet money? Poor country's rekt now."

* Short paper btc, buy physical and dump, etc.
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3556
Merit: 5041

View Profile
January 26, 2022, 01:50:14 AM

Dude, go back and look at your history. Your posts were all bullish AF as recently as November... ?
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10206

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
January 26, 2022, 01:53:46 AM
Merited by AlcoHoDL (1)

Michael Saylor announced his intention to hold BTC on Microstrategy's balance sheet well before doing so. He then offered to buy back the shares of any existing shareholders who were not happy with this new policy. He displayed exemplary transparency. No mention of leverage.

This information is readily found in the public domain, so even the slightest bit of digging would show that this guy called Pablo on TikTok is full of shit.

Overall I agree with your points strawbs in respect to both the ongoing above-and-beyond transparency of both Saylor and Microstrategies.. and also the disingenuine Saylor/MSTR bashing that is going on... However, I think that it would be fair to give some kind of acknowledgement towards some of Saylor/MSTR's aggressive approach and even to acknowledge that his approach has become more aggressive with the passage of time - even given that he (and his company) has only been in bitcoin for around a year and a half.

Any of us can read more into details in fillippone's MSTR thread.

I personally consider the whole MSTR bitcoin strategy to be interesting and part of the reason that it is so interesting is partly due to it's level of aggressiveness, creativity and even MSTR's coupling of a BTC educational campaign... that was saying.. this is how we did this, and you can do it too.. here's a blueprint... genius really.

Saylor has even described that he became increasingly obsessed with BTC, and so he kind of categorizes his earliest entrance into BTC as more conservative, since they ONLY invested with about 75% of their cash on hand, and then in subsequent months they continued to invest with additional cash flow that came in... likely a similar ratio to use around 75% of the new cashflow to buy bitcoin and the other 25%-ish to keep for operating expenses...

Thereafter, Saylor/MSTR started to employ various kinds of debt instruments - and surely some kinds of creativity with that including some leveraging of company equity to in order to create some additional lines of credit that would be used for buying bitcoin.

So, there is a bit of a technically they are using leverage because they issued various kinds of debt and equity instruments and there is some needs to pay back the debt instruments in the coming 5-7 years and the equity instruments end up diluting share value.. but surely that money generated through equity instruments has gone towards buying BTC.. so perhaps could be considered another kind of leveraging of the good will of the company. 

For sure, there are a lot of people who seem scared about how MSTR/Saylor has been playing this whole matter, and surely there might be some attempts to manipulate the markets in order that MSTR/Saylor fails in profiting from his BTC accumulation strategies - which surely seems like it would be quite difficult (maybe not impossible but probably a long shot) to cause BTC prices to be down for so long that Saylor/MSTR becomes a loser, and the fact that Saylor/MSTR had a bit of a head start on this matter, it would likely cost any manipulators way more value than they may well be willing to lose in order to really have any meaningful chances to cause Saylor/MSTR to become losers in the way that they have played these bitcoin-related cards.

Badly needed hopium:

Katie Wood Sees one Bitcoin worth 1.36 Millions in 2030, and here explains why.

Of course there is a considerable amount of analysis contained in those pictures that is much greater than my own analysis.. in which on December 16, I had asserted that there is around a 2.5% chance that we could get above $800k in the next year.. and even if I tweak my numbers down a bit, I am much more bullish than Ark invest... but they have better data.. for sure.

By the way, I found that above specific graph on slide 55 in this attachment that you linked, upon linked upon linked... hahahahaha... no problema.

https://fillippone.altervista.org/ARK_BigIdeas2022.pdf

Let's get into the nitty gritty.. $1.36 by 2030 is pretty damned conservative, no?    Now, if our top is already in for this cycle, then maybe $1.36 million by 2030 is not seeming very conservative at all.. so maybe we have to see what the top for this cycle is going to be?  Do we get at least in the $200k to $300k.. range?  Then yeah.. $1.36 would be modest for the next 4 years thereafter.. so that would put us at late 2027 early 2028... Part of the problem is trying to figure out where each leg is going to go.. but it still seems that $1.36 million by 2030 is fairly conservative - which I think those kinds of think tanks should be erroring on the side of conservative anyhow, no?
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2022, 02:01:24 AM

Explanation
heslo

Activity: 1161
Merit: 943

View Profile
January 26, 2022, 02:25:34 AM
Merited by bitmover (2), Torque (1), d_eddie (1)

I know OT but fuck it made me laugh what an absolute shit show ETH and it's leaders are

https://twitter.com/ethdotorg/status/1485644472880877572

"We've removed all uses of 'Eth2' terminology on http://ethereum.org"

Now no one can say Eth 2.0 will never come, because they don't even call it that anymore. Genius!
Pages: « 1 ... 30016 30017 30018 30019 30020 30021 30022 30023 30024 30025 30026 30027 30028 30029 30030 30031 30032 30033 30034 30035 30036 30037 30038 30039 30040 30041 30042 30043 30044 30045 30046 30047 30048 30049 30050 30051 30052 30053 30054 30055 30056 30057 30058 30059 30060 30061 30062 30063 30064 30065 [30066] 30067 30068 30069 30070 30071 30072 30073 30074 30075 30076 30077 30078 30079 30080 30081 30082 30083 30084 30085 30086 30087 30088 30089 30090 30091 30092 30093 30094 30095 30096 30097 30098 30099 30100 30101 30102 30103 30104 30105 30106 30107 30108 30109 30110 30111 30112 30113 30114 30115 30116 ... 33318 »
  Print  

Jump to: