June 30, 2024, 08:20:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 5878 5879 5880 5881 5882 5883 5884 5885 5886 5887 5888 5889 5890 5891 5892 5893 5894 5895 5896 5897 5898 5899 5900 5901 5902 5903 5904 5905 5906 5907 5908 5909 5910 5911 5912 5913 5914 5915 5916 5917 5918 5919 5920 5921 5922 5923 5924 5925 5926 5927 [5928] 5929 5930 5931 5932 5933 5934 5935 5936 5937 5938 5939 5940 5941 5942 5943 5944 5945 5946 5947 5948 5949 5950 5951 5952 5953 5954 5955 5956 5957 5958 5959 5960 5961 5962 5963 5964 5965 5966 5967 5968 5969 5970 5971 5972 5973 5974 5975 5976 5977 5978 ... 33496 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26409153 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2014, 02:20:44 AM

I think 270 is pretty hopeful tbh. what could possibly drive that?

chessnut
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 02:23:17 AM

but this is what is driving the price up?

china is not going to ban bitcoin. rejoice! they are bitcoin friendly, and the chinese may buy bitcoins using cash, if not exchanges which seem pretty stubborn.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 02:25:39 AM

I'm sure China will find another reason to tickle us up and down in ways we don't particularly enjoy. I'm not sure what they have in store next though.
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 02:26:40 AM

This is such a weak recovery.

I set my first short at 478 and it hasn't even hit that one yet. I think I may pull the ones above 510, because it doesn't even seem like remotely possible that this rally gets above that. Unless there is some unexpected volume coming in that I don't know about.

I agree with TERA that there just is not enough money on the order books to keep this market afloat at these levels.

I was really hoping I could short all the way up to 525. I hope we can get at least one more leg up. At least a push to 500.

Come on men. Lets get out those train and moon pics! Now is the time.

well then I guess you should short a whole bunch right now  Grin good luck  Cheesy

Why would I short a whole lot right now? I have already set my orders. I just doubt that they will all fill. Or even most of them. If this consolidation doesn't break upward in the next few days, I might reassess and short lower.

I know you think we will be at 700 by sometime next week. But I am looking more at 270 at the intermediate term projection.

well If you think it's going to 270 and your orders wont fill..... logic says nows a good time to short.

no I am a bit more modest than 700 next week. but we are close to testing 510, you better bear that in mind  Grin

What has driven this entire downtrend? Gox? No. China? No.

Lack of money coming into exhanges with money leaving exchanges? Yes.

Unless this changes, the price is going lower. Its pretty damn simple.
hmmmstrange

Activity: 669
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 02:28:01 AM

Is your time here part of a funded research project? If so, what are the predicted benefits to those of which have funded you? Is the funding private or public?
I am a full professor of computer science at a public university, with a fixed salary, light teaching load, a few grad students, no admin duties at the moment, a foot in a slow-going research project,  and freedom to choose my research topics.  And also occasional public advocate on social things like electronic voting.

I believe that bitcoin is a terrible investment at this time.  I think I owe to the people who pay my salary to tell them so, and why.  But unfortunately the salesmen are knocking at the door (in the last two weeks, warm "news" articles about bitcoin suddenly appeared in all the major media - usually without mentioning MtGOX, Neo&Bee, China bans, the falling price, ....)   Angry

As to "freedom to choose my research topics":

How can you justify to yourself to take money from the people at gunpoint to research bitcoin for hundreds of hours? How about researching wasteful spending by tenured professors?
chessnut
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 02:28:47 AM

What has driven this entire downtrend? Gox? No. China? No.

Lack of money coming into exhanges with money leaving exchanges? Yes.

Unless this changes, the price is going lower. Its pretty damn simple.

actually, it was china.... panic selling came after closure of third party deposits like clockwork for each exchange....

.... and now, it's not banned! price rallies!
chessnut
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 02:33:34 AM

I'm sure China will find another reason to tickle us up and down in ways we don't particularly enjoy. I'm not sure what they have in store next though.

there are only two things china could be trying to do here, destroy bitcoin, or accumulate bitcoin.

..... if they wanted to destroy it, easy. BAN IT. you know what will happen. pop. every second they waste not banning it suggests they genuinely dont want to.

..... if they wanted to accumulate it, they cant bash it forever. the amount of panic selling they have caused is enough, and now the punch line, "no it's not banned - we cant ban it, we wont ban it"
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2014, 02:37:25 AM

but this is what is driving the price up?

china is not going to ban bitcoin. rejoice! they are bitcoin friendly, and the chinese may buy bitcoins using cash, if not exchanges which seem pretty stubborn.

China doesn't have to ban Bitcoin to crash the market. They just have to remove more fiat than bitcoins. The market doesn't even have to crash. it could just grind down as supply of coins exceeds supply of new money. China could also fuel a recovery. unlikely but possible. The point is it's an unknown, a risk factor that weighs on the market.

There are other risk factors as well. Unless you have asymmetric information, now is the time to buy only if you want to hold for years.
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 02:41:01 AM

How can you justify to yourself to take money from the people at gunpoint to research bitcoin for hundreds of hours? How about researching wasteful spending by tenured professors?
Hint: I am a professor of computer science.   Guess where the idea of bitcoin came out of? 

And methinks that if I could prevent a few folks here losing their life savings to scammers, Brazilian or otherwise, that may already justify my salary.   Which may be more than I deserve, but is not exactly taken at gunpoint from them, 
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 10451

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 02:42:06 AM

I'm NOT going to play your annoying little game...

<sigh> You already are.  You have been for a while.  See that ignore?  Clicky.  Stop wasting your time.  Read more, post less, ignore trolls - this is good advice meant with the very best of intentions. Smiley

Seriously, go outside and take a deep breath of fresh air.  And relax.  Cool

Yeah, I usually do NOT call posters names, such as "perverted and twisted fuck."  That was a bit beyond my normal.  Regarding engaging another poster, we each have our differing styles.. but there are quite a few trolls in this thread.  I wonder why the forum doesnt have stricter policies to  control such...... besides the ignore button?
chessnut
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 02:44:26 AM

It's a risky business, but we are looking for edges here. the deadline has come. If deposits are not closed in the next day or two, I dont see why we should expect them to. I do not see a motive. The chinese officials are not accumulating on the exchanges (if that's what you believe...) so why would that help them?

... and if they are, then there IS fiat on the exchanges.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 02:45:40 AM

I wonder why the forum doesnt have stricter policies to  control such...... besides the ignore button?
one man's troll is another man's freedom fighter. ignore suffices, if you use it.
dasein

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 02:46:01 AM

You are twisted, and I will let my post stand for itself.
Consider yourself lucky, that you will probably never find out, on how twisted I could actually be with disrespectful little brats like you.

You are NOT making any insightful statement or facts or possibilities that have NOT already been sufficiently and adequately accounted for in my earlier discussion to whatever extent I chose to engage with your lamed brained ideas that tend to be attempt to talk about exceptions rather than rules..

I was debating aminorex's argument where he said that BTC would benefit from the devaluation of the dollar.
And there you came, having absolutely no clue on what is exactly going on, and then attempting to throw personal insults at me.

Each of your points here is filled with faulty logic, incorrect facts or incorrect inferences regarding fact.  

I see no real value into getting drug into such tangential stream of consciousness type scenarios, so accordingly, and as far as I'm concerned, the substance of various referenced historical posts can speak for themselves.

Ok, bring forward the points that I have made, that are filled with faulty logic, incorrect facts or incorrect inferences regarding fact.
If you fail to do that then I'm seriously starting to reconsider on finding a way to show you how twisted I can really be.
Now try really hard, a lot could be at stake here.

I'm NOT going to play your annoying little game, you perverted and twisted fuck.

Your posts speak for themselves, unless you edited or deleted them, and i have NO current plan to spend any of my time in such an endeavor.. especially with someone who by almost every post can be determined to be disingenuous in regards to dealing in realities and/or meaningful and adult discussions.

Remember this moment. There will be a day, not soon, but it won't take very long either, when you'll ask yourself "why is this happening to me?", then remember that you brought this on yourself. You had a choice and you took the choice.
But don't worry, I'm just a random snot-nosed geek trying to troll you. Not like I have the capabilities and means to do something that you would strongly care about.
You take care now. I think I'll rest for today.

billyjoeallen
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2014, 02:47:54 AM

Hint: I am a professor of computer science.   Guess where the idea of bitcoin came out of? 

And methinks that if I could prevent a few folks here losing their life savings to scammers, Brazilian or otherwise, that may already justify my salary.   Which may be more than I deserve, but is not exactly taken at gunpoint from them, 

Tax money is ultimately taken through threat of force. You can tap dance around that all you want, but it's the truth. Most private and public sector scammers really believe their own bull shit. Rationalizing the evil we do is part of the human condition.
Newfeeling

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 02:48:11 AM

Is your time here part of a funded research project? If so, what are the predicted benefits to those of which have funded you? Is the funding private or public?
I am a full professor of computer science at a public university, with a fixed salary, light teaching load, a few grad students, no admin duties at the moment, a foot in a slow-going research project,  and freedom to choose my research topics.  And also occasional public advocate on social things like electronic voting.

I believe that bitcoin is a terrible investment at this time.  I think I owe to the people who pay my salary to tell them so, and why.  But unfortunately the salesmen are knocking at the door (in the last two weeks, warm "news" articles about bitcoin suddenly appeared in all the major media - usually without mentioning MtGOX, Neo&Bee, China bans, the falling price, ....)   Angry

If Bitcoin is as important and/or valuable as we think it to be...having someone take the opposing side like this won't hurt. Spending hundreds of hours researching and scrutinizing something that some of us think will be worth trillions is peanuts in comparison, and in my opinion: a valuable deed on behalf of Prof Stolfi.

I'm all for going to the moon and such, but having regular reality checks from people like Prof. Stolfi keeps my belly kool-aid free and prevents my head from going too far up into my colon.

billyjoeallen
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2014, 03:12:34 AM

ooh, dumps. who coulda saw that coming?
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 03:16:02 AM

If Bitcoin is as important and/or valuable as we think it to be...having someone take the opposing side like this won't hurt. Spending hundreds of hours researching and scrutinizing something that some of us think will be worth trillions is peanuts in comparison, and in my opinion: a valuable deed on behalf of Prof Stolfi.

I'm all for going to the moon and such, but having regular reality checks from people like Prof. Stolfi keeps my belly kool-aid free and prevents my head from going too far up into my colon.

You seem to be giving Jorge too much credit.  I do NOT have anything personal against him; b/c he is generally polite enough; however, frequently, he presents matters in a very biased way which does NOT seem to be academic quality.  I have NOTHING against bears and I have NOTHING against arguing the bear case.  However, frequently, Jorge will present these matters in a very tricky way and selectively choosing his data to make the negative case.. when there is obvious evidence he is excluding and choosing to leave out of his analysis. 

In my understanding an academic should attempt to remain neutral, and I believe that is what causes many to accuse Jorge of being funded and to be biased by his funding sources... in other words, he is claiming to be a neutral bear when he is NOT neutral.. but he does appear to be a bear.

hmmmstrange

Activity: 669

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 03:23:25 AM

Hint: I am a professor of computer science.   Guess where the idea of bitcoin came out of?  

And methinks that if I could prevent a few folks here losing their life savings to scammers, Brazilian or otherwise, that may already justify my salary.   Which may be more than I deserve, but is not exactly taken at gunpoint from them,  

With Brazil's cpi at over 6% and food prices over 20% annual inflation because your government can't rob enough people fast enough, they have to print money to cover your salary. Maybe you should study how you can prevent ALL of your country's population to lose 6% of their wealth each year instead of a few people getting scammed.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 03:30:54 AM

Hint: I am a professor of computer science.   Guess where the idea of bitcoin came out of?  

And methinks that if I could prevent a few folks here losing their life savings to scammers, Brazilian or otherwise, that may already justify my salary.   Which may be more than I deserve, but is not exactly taken at gunpoint from them,  

With Brazil's cpi at over 6% and food prices over 20% annual inflation because your government can't rob enough people fast enough, they have to print money to cover your salary. Maybe you should study how you can prevent ALL of your country's population to lose 6% of their wealth each year instead of a few people getting scammed.

NOT easy for an academic to criticize the ways of his own govt.  And to be fair, the problem with fiat is with most of the govts around the world and is NOT particular to Brazil.  Actually, a lot of countries in south america have been really screwed over the past 30 years by the IMF and forced into various kinds of cutting of social programs and specialization to serve the needs of the USA... however, several of the countries have stood up to those specialization pressures... and said screw paying back the loans through the IMF (I think Argentina is one of them) and have created more diversified and self-sustaining economies, which the USA considers a form of hostility.  Whatever the situation, there are a lot more injustices occurring through various forms of fiat manipulation rather than through bitcoin.
TERA

Activity: 728

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 03:37:33 AM

Expect an unexpected candle.
Pages: « 1 ... 5878 5879 5880 5881 5882 5883 5884 5885 5886 5887 5888 5889 5890 5891 5892 5893 5894 5895 5896 5897 5898 5899 5900 5901 5902 5903 5904 5905 5906 5907 5908 5909 5910 5911 5912 5913 5914 5915 5916 5917 5918 5919 5920 5921 5922 5923 5924 5925 5926 5927 [5928] 5929 5930 5931 5932 5933 5934 5935 5936 5937 5938 5939 5940 5941 5942 5943 5944 5945 5946 5947 5948 5949 5950 5951 5952 5953 5954 5955 5956 5957 5958 5959 5960 5961 5962 5963 5964 5965 5966 5967 5968 5969 5970 5971 5972 5973 5974 5975 5976 5977 5978 ... 33496 »
  Print  

Jump to: