Bitcoin Forum
July 02, 2024, 05:29:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: RANSOMWARE impact  (Read 12295 times)
klf
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 21, 2017, 01:24:32 AM

I think the bitcoin will fall because of RANSOMWARE,it is impossible/Difficult to track who did this and in futur Bitcoins will be considered as a motivation mean for such act
Bitcoin is not going to fall for such a small thing, this creates bad publicity of course, but think of it this way, windows machines are prone to get virus unlike mac and Linux machines and yet people keep using windows despite all the disadvantages, bitcoin will be the same, bitcoin will be used for bad stuff but most people will use it for good.

But many people who don't know about the bitcoins with this incident it has created a bad impression about the bitcoin in those people mind. Even many of my friends were also talking that bitcoins shouldn't be allowed in any countries because mostly used in these kinds of bad things. It is quite hard to explain to those people.
foxbat

Activity: 484
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2017, 05:51:40 AM

I think the bitcoin will fall because of RANSOMWARE,it is impossible/Difficult to track who did this and in futur Bitcoins will be considered as a motivation mean for such act

How will Bitcoins fall due to ransomware if you are indicating that it can get a bad name cause of money was demanded in Bitcoins or that bitcoins account will be hacked and people will loose money? If the former than earlier it was demanded in Fiat, Fiat is yet used by all. If the former it's difficult to hack into Bitcoins, it's highly secure. So I don't think there will be any effect whatsoever in the Bitcoin market.

Perhaps you are thinking wrong about this issue. Bitcoin is not hacked, it's safe, we can trust it. But, it is exploited by hackers, they use it to make illegal money.
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2017, 10:09:40 AM

Well, so far your theory remains a far cry from reality

Bitcoin has been rising and it will likely continue to rise in the future. If anything, it proves its robustness as a decentralized (read free of government control) currency. Using it for extorting ransom is a sort of real life stress test, but that doesn't mean in and of itself that this is the only field of Bitcoin's application. I'm in no case justifying such acts (i.e. encrypting file systems and then demanding money to be paid to decrypt it), but, as to me, the effect of that would be positive on Bitcoin in the long run. In other words, don't shoot the messenger, he is doing his best!

Przemax

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 21, 2017, 05:05:32 PM

Bitcoin is not going to fall for such a small thing, this creates bad publicity of course, but think of it this way, windows machines are prone to get virus unlike mac and Linux machines and yet people keep using windows despite all the disadvantages, bitcoin will be the same, bitcoin will be used for bad stuff but most people will use it for good.

But many people who don't know about the bitcoins with this incident it has created a bad impression about the bitcoin in those people mind. Even many of my friends were also talking that bitcoins shouldn't be allowed in any countries because mostly used in these kinds of bad things. It is quite hard to explain to those people.

I think that impression that bitcoin is made just for criminals is made deliberatly. Its like a message that cryptocoins are good because they are anonymous, but bitcoin is bad because of ransomware. Someone is trying to hold the bitcoin at bay. Probably its the same people that are pumping the ripple to new sky high.

Reid

Activity: 2940
Merit: 647

View Profile
May 21, 2017, 05:13:44 PM

Made a very big impact. It rose and will keep on rising.   Cheesy
This is just my theory but I think it did a bad publicity and also a good one.
Yes others sees bitcoin now as a bad investment but what did that news break through?
Those people who didn't even know what bitcoin is suddenly got an idea to what it is.
With the publicity it was introduced to them and now others might be researching to what bitcoin is.
It did help. Thanks Ransomware.
triasel

Activity: 672
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2017, 05:26:01 PM

there is a positive impact from RANSOMWARE like many more people not know bitcoin because ransomware who know bitcoin.. but negative impact is make the bitcoin user being restless
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
May 21, 2017, 06:22:42 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/21/north-koreas-secret-cyber-warfare-cell-unit-180-likely-have/

north korea is thought to be the origin of this wave. do you think they have an account on btc-e?
concept2

Activity: 750
Merit: 258

View Profile
May 21, 2017, 06:35:16 PM

there is a positive impact from RANSOMWARE like many more people not know bitcoin because ransomware who know bitcoin.. but negative impact is make the bitcoin user being restless
it is true that many people have known about bitcoin thanks to the ransomware. I do not thinkt that there is any negative impact here. Only positive impact such as the increasing of Bitcoin users in this month
wxa7115

Activity: 2772
Merit: 718

View Profile
May 21, 2017, 08:17:26 PM

There is no doubt the bad publicity has an effect and some people will try to avoid bitcoin because of it, but the effect is not going to be very big since as we are speaking the value of bitcoin keeps stable, also eventually these people will realize how mistaken their ideas are as soon as bitcoin beings to gain mass adoption.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
May 21, 2017, 08:30:33 PM

Reading through the history log the ransom made less than 100K although in Bitcoin if the hackers leave the addresses untouched they will likely appreciate in value.
https://qz.com/985093/inside-the-digital-heist-that-terrorized-the-world-and-made-less-than-100k/
A good reminder that Port 445 the one for networking is a trap and I agree the attack was about something other than money like getting the whole world to invest in crypto or at least be aware of it again.

(Did like this part in the article though “Then after I ask her 10 times she says pay just for the sheer fact that I leave her alone finally,” he said.)

The three bitcoin wallets tied to #WannaCry ransomware have received 296 payments totaling 48.86359565 BTC ($101,348.96 USD).
Well the world can watch the Bitcoin price rise as well seems like a plot.
https://twitter.com/actual_ransom

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
dragonusa9

Activity: 756

View Profile
May 21, 2017, 09:41:48 PM

thinking that the ransomware taking fee especially on bitcoin make a huge impact that attract more user to know about bitcoin
i dont even think that bitcoin will fall, it will gradually increasing because ransomware attack globally and get the top attention at news
Eternu

Activity: 560
Merit: 257

View Profile
May 21, 2017, 10:04:28 PM

I do not want to say that you are wrong, i mean it could happen that this will be start of more and more ciber attacks. But i do not think that it is untracable. There is always a way, and not to speak that if it becomes a problem in the future, it would be dealth one way or another. Bitcoin has made a long way to this point, and it will be hard to die after so long.
youdacapt

Activity: 1834
Merit: 295

SOL.BIOKRIPT.COM

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2017, 10:27:09 PM

I do not want to say that you are wrong, i mean it could happen that this will be start of more and more ciber attacks. But i do not think that it is untracable. There is always a way, and not to speak that if it becomes a problem in the future, it would be dealth one way or another. Bitcoin has made a long way to this point, and it will be hard to die after so long.

impact of ransomware is able to make business systems that use bitcoin will work harder to develop security in maintaining user accounts, when viewed from business side it's interesting because the antivirus product or the latest system will continue to be developed, I see a conspiracy on this even though not completely certainly.

B.I.O.K.R.I.P.T|
  BiokriptX Fair Launch is now live in PINKSALE
|🟣 Twitter
🔵 Facebook
🟣 Telegram
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2017, 05:18:03 AM

it is true that many people have known about bitcoin thanks to the ransomware. I do not thinkt that there is any negative impact here. Only positive impact such as the increasing of Bitcoin users in this month
Damn man. Do you really think that those who have infected by ransomware become bitcoin users after getting extorted? If you really think that way then I assume there's wrong with your brain

Honestly, I didn't think of that myself

But why not, after all? If people had been extorted some monies in US dollars, would they start feeling disgusted by the American dollar? I'm inclined to think that they won't. So why should Bitcoin be different? Well, in fact, I agree that they might feel like that, and some of them would certainly feel that way for some time, but when the dust settles and the sun shines bright again, they will certainly calm down and come to understand that Bitcoin as such is not involved, but they have already learned about it, and what's more they already know how to use it (at least, how to buy and send bitcoins). Wouldn't that be good and what is bad in that?

aguila

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2017, 05:45:41 AM

Till the ransomware (or "hack") isn't in the millions nothing will happen and the government wont react.

Governments, regulations, and hacks (like Mt Gox) are the ones that really impact BTC the most. My biggest concern right now are China's authorization for BTC withdrawal, and the duration + high fees of BTC (some rumors going around)

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 05:56:06 AM

Bitcoin has been rising and it will likely continue to rise in the future. If anything, it proves its robustness as a decentralized (read free of government control) currency. Using it for extorting ransom is a sort of real life stress test, but that doesn't mean in and of itself that this is the only field of Bitcoin's application. I'm in no case justifying such acts (i.e. encrypting file systems and then demanding money to be paid to decrypt it), but, as to me, the effect of that would be positive on Bitcoin in the long run. In other words, don't shoot the messenger, he is doing his best!

as it look now it prove that investors don't care at all about any thing outside of their daily trading activity or they are not the same people, i mean it's not like the people affected by this malware are the same that are pumping now bitcoin...

actually evidently, this malware is bringing more attention to bitcoin, and making it even more famous, and it's not that bad as many think

ultrloa
Legendary

Activity: 2814
Merit: 1239

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2017, 06:06:58 AM

Till the ransomware (or "hack") isn't in the millions nothing will happen and the government wont react.

Governments, regulations, and hacks (like Mt Gox) are the ones that really impact BTC the most. My biggest concern right now are China's authorization for BTC withdrawal, and the duration + high fees of BTC (some rumors going around)
The government already give reaction to this case because the ransomware itself attacking many vital things. It's right that there's no significant impact towards bitcoin but still it's indirectly giving bad image for bitcoin that could make bitcoin struggling to gain more users and increase its demands.

This can give bad turnouts to bitcoins since im pretty sure that business establishment who's been hit by the said virus will think badly for bitcoins and that could give bad impact to bitcoins upgrading state. But in this case and matters well maybe the thing we should do for now is to watch for latest news and events from it maybe we can gather some info that can help us point on when does bitcoin well gain more rythm.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2017, 07:57:01 AM

as it look now it prove that investors don't care at all about any thing outside of their daily trading activity or they are not the same people, i mean it's not like the people affected by this malware are the same that are pumping now bitcoin...

They certainly do care

But this FarCry event is evidently not something which would attract their attention for longer than a few second timespan. If some exchange got hacked (say, Bitfinex again), that would certainly raise a stir in the Bitcoin investment establishment. If anything, 50 bitcoins is not a big deal really, so people affected by this ransomware cannot be pumping Bitcoin right now unless they buy up bitcoins in massive amounts for future payouts, of course (as the saying goes, if it rains it pours)

severaldetails

Activity: 959

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 08:28:02 AM

They certainly do care

But this FarCry event is evidently not something which would attract their attention for longer than a few second timespan. If some exchange got hacked (say, Bitfinex again), that would certainly raise a stir in the Bitcoin investment establishment. If anything, 50 bitcoins is not a big deal really, so people affected by this ransomware cannot be pumping Bitcoin right now unless they buy up bitcoins in massive amounts for future payouts, of course (as the saying goes, if it rains it pours)

I think that if anything, that attack made a little scratch in bitcoins public reputation.
So in my opinion, the attack would have brought the bitcoin price even down, not up.
To my big surprise, most media did not even mention that the ransom should have been paid in bitcoin.
They were more focused on the attack itself, the reports about how bitcoin was involved in this were really small.
virasog
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1162

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 08:46:22 AM

The government already give reaction to this case because the ransomware itself attacking many vital things. It's right that there's no significant impact towards bitcoin but still it's indirectly giving bad image for bitcoin that could make bitcoin struggling to gain more users and increase its demands.

Well maybe there is no direct impact of Ransomeware to bitcoins but indirectly a lot has been talked about and discussed. Maybe people are arguing  that if bitcoin is declared a major currency all over the world, attacks like this will be more and world will not be a safe place for storing the money. People will feel unsafe with their digital coins as anyone can hack them or demand in form of a Ransom without ever knowing who the thief was . Sad
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: