Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:08:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin press hits, notable sources  (Read 430883 times)
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 05:45:47 AM
Last edit: November 11, 2011, 07:19:30 AM by julz

Working Paper (pdf)
On Bitcoin and Red Balloons

2011-11-02

Moshe Babaioff, Shahar Dobzinski, Sigal Oren, and Aviv Zohar.

https://sites.google.com/site/dobzin/papers/bitcoin.pdf?attredirects=0

Abstract
We study scenarios in which the goal is to ensure that some information will propagate through
a large network of nodes. In these scenarios all nodes that are aware of the information compete for
the same prize, and thus have an incentive not to propagate information. One example for such a
scenario is the 2009 DARPA Network Challenge (finding red balloons). We give special attention to
a second domain, Bitcoin, a decentralized electronic currency system.
Bitcoin, which has been getting a large amount of public attention over the last year, represents
a radical new approach to monetary systems which has appeared in policy discussions and in the
popular press [3, 11]. Its cryptographic fundamentals have largely held up even as its usage has
become increasingly widespread. We find, however, that it exhibits a fundamental problem of a
di®erent nature, based on how its incentives are structured. We propose a modification to the
protocol that can fix this problem.
Bitcoin relies on a peer-to-peer network to track transactions that are performed with the currency.
For this purpose, every transaction a node learns about should be transmitted to its neighbors in the
network. As the protocol is currently defined and implemented, it does not provide an incentive for
nodes to broadcast transactions they are aware of. In fact, it provides a strong incentive not to do
so. Our solution is to augment the protocol with a scheme that rewards information propagation.
We show that our proposed scheme succeeds in setting the correct incentives, that it is Sybil-proof,
and that it requires only a small payment overhead, all this is achieved with iterated elimination
of dominated strategies. We provide lower bounds on the overhead that is required to implement
schemes with the stronger solution concept of Dominant Strategies, indicating that such schemes
might be impractical.

This paper is also available on Microsoft Resarch: http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/default.aspx?id=156072
(At least 2 of the authors are researchers at Microsoft Research, Silicon Valley)

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2011, 11:09:56 AM
Last edit: November 10, 2011, 11:46:44 AM by paraipan

Working Paper (pdf)

2011-11-02

Abstract

"Each node on the path in the tree from the seed to the authorizer appears on this
chain..."

yeah i get the point, some individuals realized they can't possibly trace transactions to their origin and now they try with social engineering schemes. Honest ppl will relay traffic regardless of their personal gain so they add value to the system, just like running a tor node, by helping other peers be free. They just suppose all nodes are miners, in their calculations.
I think it's a small price to pay for all the advantages i get in exchange  Cheesy

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 11:57:32 AM

Working Paper (pdf)

2011-11-02

Abstract
We study scenarios in which the goal is to ensure that some information will propagate through
a large network of nodes. In these scenarios all nodes that are aware of the information compete for
the same prize, and thus have an incentive not to propagate information. One example for such a
scenario is the 2009 DARPA Network Challenge (finding red balloons). We give special attention to
a second domain, Bitcoin, a decentralized electronic currency system.
Bitcoin, which has been getting a large amount of public attention over the last year, represents
a radical new approach to monetary systems which has appeared in policy discussions and in the
popular press [3, 11]. Its cryptographic fundamentals have largely held up even as its usage has
become increasingly widespread. We find, however, that it exhibits a fundamental problem of a
di®erent nature, based on how its incentives are structured. We propose a modification to the
protocol that can fix this problem.
Bitcoin relies on a peer-to-peer network to track transactions that are performed with the currency.
For this purpose, every transaction a node learns about should be transmitted to its neighbors in the
network. As the protocol is currently defined and implemented, it does not provide an incentive for
nodes to broadcast transactions they are aware of. In fact, it provides a strong incentive not to do
so. Our solution is to augment the protocol with a scheme that rewards information propagation.
We show that our proposed scheme succeeds in setting the correct incentives, that it is Sybil-proof,
and that it requires only a small payment overhead, all this is achieved with iterated elimination
of dominated strategies. We provide lower bounds on the overhead that is required to implement
schemes with the stronger solution concept of Dominant Strategies, indicating that such schemes
might be impractical.

Gavin have talked about the incentive of relaying transactions, maybe someone have the solutions?
The number of nodes is declining steadily.

netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 01:33:46 PM

Miners have a tit-for-tat incentive to propagate transactions to each other as quickly and reliably as possible. They might also have an incentive to collude. There is little incentive for an end-user to propagate transactions ('better for the whole') nor for miners to propagate to end-users, except that the costs of doing so are negligible compared to the discovery benefits. I'm cool with an ad-hoc central core of miners. With lower latency and higher reliability, the block rate could theoretically be lowered (faster confirmations), though other solutions such as green addresses or side channel credit transactions should be acceptable enough and instantaneous.

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 07:05:11 PM

What do you base this statement upon?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 07:14:33 PM

Maybe graphs like this: http://bitcoinstatus.rowit.co.uk/ ?

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 07:55:03 PM

Maybe graphs like this: http://bitcoinstatus.rowit.co.uk/ ?

That chart likely wouldn't record my own 'shy' client, and I'm sure that there are more than just mine.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 08:15:13 PM

That chart likely wouldn't record my own 'shy' client, and I'm sure that there are more than just mine.
True and there are a number of other reasons why this number might go down - for example mining got more centralized due to lower profitability, people regaining confidence in webwallets, etc.

From a network security point of view in the spirit of the cited paper the reasons are however pretty much irrelevant. I don't think we have to worry yet, but it is arguably easier to do certain kinds of attacks with fewer nodes listening for connections.

Anyway, we probably should take this discussion some thread else.

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
k

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 10:11:42 PM

http://mg.co.za/article/2011-11-11-can-digital-currency-coin-it/

Can digital currency coin it?
ALISTAIR FAIRWEATHER

From the Mail and Gaurdian Online (South African)
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 04:20:12 AM

Can digital currency coin it?
ALISTAIR FAIRWEATHER

From the Mail and Gaurdian Online (South African)

yup, hellava nice article

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2011, 04:43:41 AM

CBS news station KOLD in Tucson Arizona is currently showing a video commercial for an upcoming TV story about Bitcoin that will air at their 10:00 news which starts about 20 minutes from now (10:00 PM Arizona time, 0500 UTC).  The video commercial is now visible on their website, as well as a prominent advertising blurb on the station's home page.

http://www.kold.com

It appears there is a link on the home page that allows live watching of the newscast.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 12:29:45 PM

Mike, you're a rock star. Great work. It's strange they framed you as 'the man in the cloud' or whatever you'd call the scratchy effect. But the apple pie living room background was an excellent touch. I wonder how they'd frame some eskimo on a whale hunt trading bitcoins over a sat link. Smiley

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 01:56:26 PM

CBS news station KOLD in Tucson Arizona is currently showing a video commercial for an upcoming TV story about Bitcoin that will air at their 10:00 news which starts about 20 minutes from now (10:00 PM Arizona time, 0500 UTC).  The video commercial is now visible on their website, as well as a prominent advertising blurb on the station's home page.

It appears there is a link on the home page that allows live watching of the newscast.

So it aired? Anyone have a link/recording?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 01:58:03 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peYNk3njNnQ

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 03:41:42 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peYNk3njNnQ

Ken Colburn of Data Doctors fear-mongers: "You wanna be careful to use bitcoin. You wanna be careful with entities that are asking you to use bitcoin as their currency, cause there's generally [twitches, grins] nnnyeah, there's a possibility that they're trying to hide something."

Mike did his best to counter this and other objections: "I don't have a philisophical problem with the government, I pay my taxes, as I should, I'm a good citizen, I follow the laws..."

My favorite part is the narrator, because it totally gives away how uninformed the producers must be: "an e-mail to one of bitcoins managers has never been returned". lol, I wonder why this bitcoin company doesn't answer emails... hmmm.

The clip leans a little too much against bitcoin to be called "unbiased"

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
julz
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 10:51:16 AM

The ins and outs of Bitcoin
Does the latest digital currency have staying power?

Kristin Samuelson
2011-11-13

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-1113-outside-opinion-bitcoin-20111113,0,5657987.story

julz
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 01:25:28 AM

Bitcoin Wallet Encryption Bug Discovered in Official Client

Kit Dotson
2011-11-14

http://siliconangle.com/blog/2011/11/14/bitcoin-wallet-encryption-bug-discovered-in-official-client/

The on-wallet encryption for the Bitcoin client is still in its infancy. Perhaps it was released too soon for what it is, but just because a function encrypts something valuable doesn’t mean that you should be complacent about how you treat your own security.

julz
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 01:33:20 AM

IMTFI
INSTITUTE FOR MONEY, TECHNOLOGY & FINANCIAL INCLUSION

Funny Money Roundup
2011-11-14

http://blog.imtfi.uci.edu/2011/11/funny-money-roundup.html

Remember bitcoin? Yeah, us too. Some seem to think that the bubble has burst, and, indeed, the value of a bitcoin has dropped over the past several months to under US$2 from a high of over US$30. But the bitcoin phenomenon offers a fascinating window onto debates about the value of money, the role of government, as well as complementary, alternative, and crypto-currencies.

julz
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 01:55:03 AM

Alan Szepieniec Presents Bitcoin at Polish Mises Institute

2011-11-14

http://themonetaryfuture.blogspot.com/2011/11/alan-szepieniec-presents-bitcoin-at.html

In a step ahead of their U.S. counterpart, the Polish Ludwig von Mises Institute hosted Alan Szepieniec to present bitcoin during the 2011 Summer Seminar in Warsaw.

julz
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 01:13:19 PM

Slashdot picks up on the recent 'On Bitcoin and Red Balloons' paper
 - but the submitter goes for a more dramatic title.
I know slashdot loves to hate bitcoin - but 'flaw in the protocol' is a bit of a stretch for what seems more like a suggestion for a potential optimisation.

Pages: « 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 »
  Print  

Jump to: