Bitcoin Forum
October 19, 2017, 04:51:23 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.0.1  [Torrent]. (New!)

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum moderation policy  (Read 391648 times)
sirius
Bitcoiner

Activity: 429

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 02:02:54 AM

The policy to not remove anything worked when the forum was small. Now that we have thousands of posts a day, we can't afford 50% of them being junk. The moderators are now instructed to be less tolerant of low-value posts.

Some guidelines:

1. Free speech - you can say anything as long as it is relevant and presented in a calm and polite manner. Swearing, SHOUTING etc. make your post more likely to be removed.
2. No zero value posts or threads, like "SELL SELL SELL"
3. No pointless or uninteresting threads.
4. No referral code spam
5. No NSFW content

Identifi - Decentralized address book with trust ratings
I'm not a forum admin - please contact theymos instead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
epii

Activity: 210

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 02:25:19 AM

+1

EDIT:  Wait, does +1 count as a zero-value post?   Huh
AngstHase

Activity: 40

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 02:28:27 AM

"lot of crap falling from the skiy these days"

what about a "last edited %CLOCK%" function for edited posts?
sirius
Bitcoiner

Activity: 429

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 02:36:17 AM

+1

Depends on context Wink Perhaps we can get a good post / bad post mod up and running to do the job.

Identifi - Decentralized address book with trust ratings
I'm not a forum admin - please contact theymos instead.
epii

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 02:39:23 AM

+1

EDIT:  Wait, does +1 count as a zero-value post?   Huh

Depends on context Wink Perhaps we can get a good post / bad post mod up and running to do the job.
But wasn't that a disaster last time we tried it?  Oh, that was a good poster / bad poster mod.
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 02:43:00 AM

1. Free speech
5. No NSFW content

Please read 5, then read 1, then read 5, then read 1 and tell me if you see a problem.

Can I say "fat cock" if I present it in a calm and polite manner?

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1680

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:34:29 AM

1. Free speech
5. No NSFW content

Please read 5, then read 1, then read 5, then read 1 and tell me if you see a problem.

Think of it like this, you have freedom of speech in the presence of your mother, but would you choose your words more carefully? 

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Mark Oates

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:39:01 AM

How difficult would it be to implement a voting system for posts using the current forum software?
Nescio

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:46:06 AM

As long as it's not goatse, Alex Beckenham has a major point.

Also, some of the 'useless' threads are actually quite entertaining, if not educational (e.g. the Rawdawg and Bitcoin snail graph/meme ones).

I agree with the referral code one, though even that was interesting to see, some people are quite creative Smiley
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:49:01 AM

Entertaining threads are, by definition, not useless.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

Alex Beckenham

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:58:07 AM

1. Free speech
5. No NSFW content

Think of it like this, you have freedom of speech in the presence of your mother, but would you choose your words more carefully? 

Well the whole post would make sense if you just remove that phrase altogether and not try to give fake "free speech":

1. You can say anything as long as it is relevant and presented in a calm and polite manner. Swearing, SHOUTING etc. make your post more likely to be removed.
4. No referral code spam
5. No NSFW content

finack

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:06:35 AM

What is considered referral code spam? One of those full on advertising posts with referral codes all over it like were posted when tradehill opened? What if it's a little more subtle? What about low content posts with the code in the signature?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, is there any reason to not just fully ban referral codes? They're mostly just spam and don't really benefit the forum any. And then it'd be a clear enforceable line.

Just a thought.
oneforall

Activity: 112

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:42:56 AM

"zero-value" "entertaining" "pointless" "uninteresting"  
All these words are opinion based. they do for the forum what the term "terrorist" did for america. I agree, honest is best, remove "free speech" from the list. maybe you would want to consider adding "no slandering of individuals reputation" considering posts like this one:

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=20340.20

It's just not right for people to talk about things like this is public.

EDIT:
looks like i really put my foot in my mouth this time, maybe we shouldn't lock threads based on peoples accusations of other people:

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=20440.0
Veldy

Activity: 98

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:50:44 AM

The policy to not remove anything worked when the forum was small. Now that we have thousands of posts a day, we can't afford 50% of them being junk. The moderators are now instructed to be less tolerant of low-value posts.

Some guidelines:

1. Free speech - you can say anything as long as it is relevant and presented in a calm and polite manner. Swearing, SHOUTING etc. make your post more likely to be removed.
4. No referral code spam
5. No NSFW content

Awesome! 

One point though; I think that you should remove "uninteresting" since that is completely subjective and there is no way an honest post can avoid it (readers determine interest, not the poster).  I think that "pointless" covers it well and is much more objective within the context of a group and easily covers "intentionally uninteresting".

If you have found my post helpful, please donate what you feel it is worth: 18vaZ4K62WiL6W2Qoj9AE1cerfCHRaUW4x
Veldy

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:57:06 AM

How difficult would it be to implement a voting system for posts using the current forum software?

That would lead to  a large scale of moderation which would limit free speech as opposed to nudging posts towards civility and relevant content with a given group.

I still believe that the large pools should have their own subgroups Smiley

If you have found my post helpful, please donate what you feel it is worth: 18vaZ4K62WiL6W2Qoj9AE1cerfCHRaUW4x
Chick

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:57:51 AM

*queue Hallelujah chorus*

+20

Veldy

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 05:09:58 AM

What is considered referral code spam? One of those full on advertising posts with referral codes all over it like were posted when tradehill opened? What if it's a little more subtle? What about low content posts with the code in the signature?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, is there any reason to not just fully ban referral codes? They're mostly just spam and don't really benefit the forum any. And then it'd be a clear enforceable line.

Just a thought.

I agree about no referral codes (except perhaps in the signature if not intentionally used as the main message like using a large and bold font or huge image).

After all, most new bitcoin options (pools, exchanges, vendors, etc.) are largely discovered by posts here.  Referral codes could be banned outright if people abuse it in signatures, but I suspect most if not all will be responsible.  Besides, I only know of one referral code scenario right now anyway and they don't even need to offer it thanks to their competition.

unemployed

Try out Bitcoin Tool v1.1 - over 220 installs

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 07:42:16 AM

Some guidelines:

4. No referral code spam
5. No NSFW content

A step in a wrong direction. Now moderators will decide which posts have "low value", which posts are "uninteresting" or "pointless". In practice moderators will delete everything they don't like. The words "free speech" above are thus an obvious lie.

Bitcoin Tool - browser extension for Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer
141HiFa6pek3uM32LpRe3gXraETV1fViWC
http://i.imgur.com/4OT19.png    <- Bitcoin Tool recognizes bitcoin addresses on websites, and links them to blockexplorer.
Nescio

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 08:39:32 AM

True. Problem is, most of this forum is entertaining in one way or another, I'm only here three weeks (2 lurking) and I'm already trying to kick the habit Smiley
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1495

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 09:09:57 AM

I would also like this implemented.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Alex Beckenham

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:13:55 AM

<--- I'd like to be able to see the date someone signed up, without having to visit their profile page.

Horkabork

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:44:12 AM

<--- I'd like to be able to see the date someone signed up, without having to visit their profile page.

I don't think this forum needs registration date elitism. People already have enough excuses to insult and fallaciously disregard other people's arguments. We don't need people to think that the points of idiots are more valid or truthful just because they've been her awhile and we don't need people to think that new people are idiots and their opinions shouldn't be acknowledged just because they're new.

Jesus. This forum is scaring me. Usually, I'm the wackadoo on any particular forum, but lately I've been reluctant to post because I've been out-crazied. You know that you're insane when you see a hobo with crap-ridden pants backing away from you slowly.

Also, anyone who is ragging about free speech and censorship needs to understand that those principles don't apply in internet forums any more than they apply to me if I take a sharpie to your apartment walls. Those are governmental concepts. This forum is not run by the government. You have no right to free speech here only so much as they can't censor based on a user's characteristic of being part of a special group (E.G., you can censor me for being gay if I'm posting about bitcoins within guidelines that apply to non-gays).

This isn't even specifically about moderating offensiveness or spam, but relevance. Deleting someone's thread that says "Sell sell sell" is no different, in terms of free speech, from deleting a thread I might make featuring the entirety of the amino acid sequences for trypsin family proteases compared between various key animals so we might talk about concerted evolution with nary a mention of bitcoins.

Me: 15gbWvpLPfbLJZBsL2u5gkBdL3BUXDbTuF
A goat: http://i52.tinypic.com/34pj4v6.jpg
Alex Beckenham

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 10:01:24 AM

I don't think this forum needs registration date elitism.

I agree. I was just thinking it would have been handy for that time I gave away coins to newbies about a week ago and had to make sure people weren't suddenly signing up multiple times to the forum just to get in on the giveaway. I had to click through to each member's profile page to check.

bitcoinminer

Activity: 322

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 10:16:22 AM

unemployed, part of free speech means you get to choose where to speak, meaning, somewhere else if you wish Smiley

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful.

-Warren Buffett
unemployed

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 10:28:24 AM

unemployed, part of free speech means you get to choose where to speak, meaning, somewhere else if you wish Smiley
Same to you.

http://i.imgur.com/4OT19.png    <- Bitcoin Tool recognizes bitcoin addresses on websites, and links them to blockexplorer.
£

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:05:53 PM

4. No referral code spam

5. No NSFW content

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

These all sound reasonable to me, harmful but reasonable, number 1 is the most likely to be harmful to building the character of a robust community.

I can see any number of posts that would be worthwhile and add to the character of this forum (to any forum) yet would fall foul of many of these caveats.

For instance swearing is so culturally divisive that what might be seen as a genuine transgression by one person is simply humor (or more precisely 'humour') to another. From personal experience I know that - for example - Americans are can be offended by language that people from the UK are indifferent to, or even see as endearing, what to one person imbues a post with spirit and character to another renders it offensive.

But of course nobody wants to have to 'listen' to someone hurling unnecessary and unwarranted abuse at another poster, so there is a real need to keep a check on this kind of thing, at least to some degree.

I suggest you make a distinction between swearing per se and ad hominem, for example here are two examples . . .

A) Oh, for fuck's sake I can't believe they've increased their fucking charges for THE SECOND TIME in a freaking month! This is really starting to piss me off, they are just going to drive business elsewhere . . . (and so on)

B) It's clueless people like you who think you know it all, running around like some kind of genius telling everyone who will listen how great you think you are. Yet time after time you get it wrong and end up with the whole forum laughing at the sorry spectacle you have become, mostly through your own stupidity . . . (and so on)

. . . example A contains swearing yet is (to these ears at least) not in the least bit offensive, example B is pure ad hominem, likely to elicit a similar response and is corrosive to the conversation.

If on the other hand there is simply going to be a list of censored words then why not just use the BB software to track and change them, much like a US religious forum, so 'shit' becomes 'poopy' - and 'no fucking way!' becomes 'no damn way'.

Personally I think this kind of thing is a move in the wrong direction, I am a member of a cycling forum in the UK that has zero moderation and the tone and sense of community is something even the best drawn up list of rules could not come close to, the forum has grown from nothing to 50,000 + and suffers none of the problems lists of rules like these seek to address.

It's fucking great !

Cheesy
unemployed

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 12:43:58 PM

What happened to my thread "how to send many emails"? It was full of useful information related to bitcoin. Is this how free speech looks on this forum??

Alex Beckenham

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:03:46 PM

Is this how free speech looks on this forum??

Ask Horkabork:

[The] principles [of free speech and censorship] don't apply in internet forums...

I agree forums (and servers) are private property and it's perfectly reasonable for the owners of such to impose whatever rules they feel like it. Then we as members are free to comply or simply leave.

TradersEdgeDice

Activity: 84

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 01:24:05 PM

Okay…

No "moderators for life".  Moderators -even the ones responsible for maintaining the site- are required step back and let the current "Congress" handle things.

That way, we have citizen moderators.  Unlike cesspools like slashdot, becoming a moderator is not a lucky break that lasts for all of 5 minutes.  If someone is invited to be a moderator, they've already met certain thresholds and maybe placement on the OTC web of trust.

This is a site about monetary philosophy, after all.  If you have no contribution to the economic activity of bitcoin, it might reveal a deficiency in the requirements of moderating for a few days.

You guys need the help and you cannot afford to either burnout or burnout random forum members. Use the spirit of volunteerism that is already here.

There should be a way for removed postings to be meta moderated.  A sort of appeal process.

Anyway, that's my two bitcents.

Like what I posted?

Buy my Metal FX Currency Dice Set
http://tradersedgedice.com

Buyers using bitcoin get a deep discount.  Free worldwide shipping.

Web of Trust: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=TradersEdgeDice&sign=ANY&type=RECV

GPG Identity: http://bitcoin-otc.com/
unemployed

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 01:41:01 PM

Ask Horkabork:

[The] principles [of free speech and censorship] don't apply in internet forums...

I agree forums (and servers) are private property and it's perfectly reasonable for the owners of such to impose whatever rules they feel like it. Then we as members are free to comply or simply leave.

Well, the previous rules were nearly unlimited free speech. Things were put in FAQs like "some users here have prickly shells, but we've grown to love them". Now it changed overnight. Sure, everyone is free to leave this forum (and in effect leave bitcoin, because bitcoin is very linked to this forum). But it is unfair to mislead people so grossly. One day the biggest bitcoin forum is advertised as free speech, the next day there is no free speech.
First the whole bitcoin is advertised as a libertarian currency in global media, then it quickly changes, because some early adopters from the United States want to safely cash out. If bitcoin is something different than everyone thinks, maybe you all should advertise it as another Facebook Credits or another World of Warcraft coins, or Second Life money, and stop misleading people and wasting people' time.

dennis_sweden

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 02:08:46 PM

There is definately a lot of ranting going on that would not be suitable for work, which is being allowed. However, as long as it doesn't step into a degenerating personal abuse sphere, it's just silly and impracticible to moderate it constantly. The real danger is, as many have pointed out, nr 3 "pointless or uninteresting threads". No-one can impose their conception of pointless and uninteresting upon others; and if a thread is pointless and uninteresting it will quickly disappear, unless some "pointless and uninteresting" people continue such a debate. It would be much better to state clearly what kind of topics are off-limit (i.e. subjects that belong in other sub-forums) and allow a free debate as long as degenerating abuse is prohibited.

How can you tell when a politician is lying? His lips are moving. A little girl asked her father, 'do all fairy tales begin with "Once upon a time"? The father replied, 'No, some begin with - If I am elected.' How come political leaders don't have all the answers until they write their memoirs?
Amechan

Activity: 105

Spreading Bitcoin love

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 02:09:40 PM

Ask Horkabork:

Well, the previous rules were nearly unlimited free speech. Things were put in FAQs like "some users here have prickly shells, but we've grown to love them". Now it changed overnight. Sure, everyone is free to leave this forum (and in effect leave bitcoin, because bitcoin is very linked to this forum). But it is unfair to mislead people so grossly. One day the biggest bitcoin forum is advertised as free speech, the next day there is no free speech.
First the whole bitcoin is advertised as a libertarian currency in global media, then it quickly changes, because some early adopters from the United States want to safely cash out. If bitcoin is something different than everyone thinks, maybe you all should advertise it as another Facebook Credits or another World of Warcraft coins, or Second Life money, and stop misleading people and wasting people' time.

I agree with everything you have said so far. "useless" posts would very much be decided based on opinion. If there is going to be moderation, I would say limit it to the MOVING of posts to off topic and what not. Perhaps even make a "trash bin" where all the sailor mouthed people can hang out and throw fecal matter at each other. Seeing as this is an international community and there is no way to satisfy everyones sense of morals due to differences in culture/religion/age/upbringing etc, my vote is that ALL posts may not be deleted and only moved.

Selling goods from Japan for BTC. http://www.cheaplightning.com
£

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 02:37:14 PM

- - -
makomk

Activity: 686

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:41:17 PM

"zero-value" "entertaining" "pointless" "uninteresting"  
All these words are opinion based. they do for the forum what the term "terrorist" did for america. I agree, honest is best, remove "free speech" from the list.

I have an uncomfortable feeling that's the entire point of this exercise, though :-(. We've already had one thread closed because "The valuable posts in this thread occurred in the first three pages, the quality of posts have declined since.", where not valuable seems to mean posts questioning MagicalTux's story. Meanwhile other users have got away with tediously repetitive claims that the person whose 500,000-bitcoins were sold must've been plotting to undermine the market, copy-and-pasted multiple times in bright colours in the same thread.

There's no constitutional requirement for free speech in forums, but the principles are still important in some form if you want a workable forum. While forum moderators may technically have the right to moderate arbitrarily, it's basically impossible to have a meaningful discussion or trust the forum threads to actually represent the opinions of the users in any way whatsoever if they abuse this. Worse still it's impossible to tell when they are abusing it as an outsider, so at the slightest whiff of dubious moderation you basically have to assume all discussions are tainted.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
oneforall

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:07:16 PM

The rumor is that the guys over at www.bitcoinforums.net agree to not censor/delete posts or lock conversations. That would be what free speech is. not this "Say what we like and don't speak ill of our friends" free speech crap.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:11:39 PM

The rumor is that the guys over at www.bitcoinforums.net agree to not censor/delete posts or lock conversations. That would be what free speech is. not this "Say what we like and don't speak ill of our friends" free speech crap.

I'm sure they would be happy to have all this gainful conversation.

JohnDoe

Activity: 392

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 05:06:08 PM

The sole purpose of this forum is to further the Bitcoin agenda. Free speech has a lower priority so it should be ignored by moderators when it works against the primary goal.
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1618

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 05:18:04 PM

I don't mind moderation, when done in, well, moderation. I do mind when I cant judge whether the mods are doing their jobs well or not. I can't judge for myself if I agree a thread was out of line if it's been deleted.

Mods, if you feel you need to shut a thread down, why not just lock it? Some other forums feature a "trash bin" section where "deleted" threads go, still available to read, but not cluttering the main forums. Maybe this would be something to look into here?

Can anyone give a good reason why deleting a thread would be preferable to just locking it, absent legal reasons and other force majeure?

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1568

‘ɥɔʇɐʍ ʇsnɾ &#7

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 08:09:18 PM

while i'm always pro transparency i see it's the right of the owners of this forum to delete as many posts as they want. you are free to leave. in fact i hope there will grow competition as with just one forum only, there is quite some power to manipulate the market by just randomly going offline.

£

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:23:34 PM

Heh, I would be glad for bitcoinforums.net to get ALL the trolls, spammers, and ideologues that this forum is overrun with.  If that is in fact their policy, they will soon be swimming in an ocean of deep shi...erm, feces (much like this forum of late).  Thank goodness the moderators here have decided to step up and...well, MODERATE.  After hanging around this place for a while, I was beginning to wonder if the title "Moderator" actually meant anything on bitcoin.org.

Oddly those who are most vocal in their support for the new policy ('I support the new policy 100%.") seem to be the ones most casually in breach of the new policy.

Section one asks us to keep our posts calm and polite, but here we see people who are against these new rules labeled as 'ideologues' and dumped in the same bucket as 'trolls' and 'spammers' - and are invited to go elsewhere and swim in an ocean of shit.

If you are in support of the new policy "100%" how do you square your use of 'shouting' (capitalized text) when it's clearly discouraged by the new policy ?

To be honest I am not looking for an answer, my question is rhetorical, (it's not even aimed at you in particular), I am just making the point that even during the early birth pangs of this new policy those most supportive of it are already in breach of it.

Add in a moderator (not now perhaps, but in 6 months or 2 years) who you end up in disagreement with and you, yourself, might find your posts deleted as you have already met the criteria.
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1618

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 10:01:35 PM

while i'm always pro transparency i see it's the right of the owners of this forum to delete as many posts as they want. you are free to leave. in fact i hope there will grow competition as with just one forum only, there is quite some power to manipulate the market by just randomly going offline.

I don't understand why this argument keeps coming up. Yes, of course it is their right to do what they please. I don't think wanton despotism is anyone's goal here, though. I'd like to discuss things instead of just having a hissy fit and leaving. Isn't that what forums are for - discussion?

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
AngelusWebDesign

Activity: 392

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 06:36:54 AM

+1

We do need more than one Bitcoin forum. When a forum gets so big that they're basically telling people to "go away", and they start deleting posts left and right, with no consequent slowdown in signups, membership, or traffic -- that's tells ME (at least) that the market's now big enough for another forum.
TheGer

Activity: 574

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 07:03:37 AM

People come here for the entertainment as much as the information so please don't doosh the forum with restrictive censorship.

It just makes you look like a

Burst Asset manager for HalogenV1:  GPU + HDD mining(100+ Mh/s, 28TB), Trading Account, Asset dividends.  Asset pays out weekly at 70%
ASSET ID: 11867939260933214548

https://forums.burst-team.us/topic/7867/ann-halogenv1-burst-asset-gpu-hdd-mining-trading-account-burst-asset-dividends-payout-70-weekly
Horkabork

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 07:08:21 AM

I don't mind moderation, when done in, well, moderation. I do mind when I cant judge whether the mods are doing their jobs well or not. I can't judge for myself if I agree a thread was out of line if it's been deleted.

Mods, if you feel you need to shut a thread down, why not just lock it? Some other forums feature a "trash bin" section where "deleted" threads go, still available to read, but not cluttering the main forums. Maybe this would be something to look into here?

Can anyone give a good reason why deleting a thread would be preferable to just locking it, absent legal reasons and other force majeure?

A lot of times, deleting threads rather than moving them is harder on the database as well. So there's that benefit.

However, I think the idea of just moving threads that you and others have suggested is great. But a trash bin is just as bad as deleting. People post bullshit so that others will read it. Nobody reads threads in the trash bin.

Having a specific "no rules" subforum has worked for a lot of big forums, and ones much rowdier than this one (Somethingawful has FYAD, 4chan has /b/, Offtopic has, well, I guess the main forum). If you give the idiots a specific place to play and call their own, they won't make irritating posts in other forums as often. Just make a forum with no rules except what is obviously illegal and let people post to their heart's content.

Or, wait, did I just describe the newbie forum?

Me: 15gbWvpLPfbLJZBsL2u5gkBdL3BUXDbTuF
A goat: http://i52.tinypic.com/34pj4v6.jpg
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 06:26:52 PM

you can, essentially.

just put your mouse over a user's handle, on the left side of their post - then, on the status bar at the bottom left of your browser window (assuming you have the Status Bar enabled in "View"), that users registration number will show up in the form: "u=xxxxx (some number)"

for example, your number is 7361.  mine is 7795.  indicating that i signed up 434 user registrations after you did.

sirius' (the OP) user number is 4 - indicating that he's been here for awhile...
£

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 07:18:03 PM

Read things that aren't there much?

Not particularly.

Do you also believe that posting "shi...erm, feces" constitutes using profanity?

I plainly use the word 'shit' in my own post, so am unlikely to read your allusion as profane.

Further, did you take the time to read any of my other posts (all 12) before lumping me in with "the ones most casually in breach of the new policy"?

I was responding to the post I quoted.

. . . frankly I have no idea why you would object to the rules that sirius has laid out.  None of them seem to apply to you.

I am not basing my opinions about what might be good or bad for a forum on what might be good or bad for me as an individual.
£

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 10:54:24 PM

Your complete lack of any meaningful response to my defense of your ridiculous assertion pretty much says it all.

My point is far from ridiculous.

Uh huh.  So your answer is "No, I didn't read any of your other posts.  I made this blanket claim on the basis of a single post".  Super.

My post is not aimed at you in particular (and that is stated in my post), it aims to make the point that those seemingly most in favour of these new rules appear to be, if anything, more exposed to them than those questioning the need for them.

Heh, so what ARE you basing your opinions about what might be good or bad for the forum then?

I am basing ideas about what might be good or bad for a forum on what I think might be good or bad for a forum.

Your original response to my post in support of the OP can be summarized as "many of the people supporting sirius' rules are hypocrites, because they're the ones who've been breaking these rules in the past".

The 'in the past' part is an insertion, but, yes, generally that's the point being made, whilst perhaps not hypocritical (it seems like too strong a term) those in favour of the new rules are in danger of falling foul of those new rules as much as the 'ideologues' they seek to drive out of the forum.

Honestly, I fail to see how that's a valid argument in support of keeping this forum unmoderated.
It's not an argument, it's only supportive of an argument, it's only illustrative of a point.

The point is that setting in place limitations that people might find themselves casually in breach of (and here the point that some of those most vocal in their support are themselves culprits becomes illustrative) might have (my own opinion is 'will likely have') consequences that will do more to stymie a healthy and robust community spirit than a more laissez faire approach (but of course not giving free reign to naked abuse).

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 11:32:18 PM

I have to admit, I'm amused at the irony that a thread with this one's original subject matter can devolve into an argument where both parties involved violate one or more of the conditions that they recently agreed to.

£

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 12:14:03 AM

I'm not sure how to respond to that, other than to say "Good luck to you sir!"

Abso-fucking-lutely.  Wink

Good luck to you as well.
£

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 12:22:23 AM

I'm not sure that £ has agreed to anything . . .

No, that's right, I've just expressed concern about a nascent culture of arbitrary approval, in itself not always a terrible thing, but time has shown it has proven itself to be corrosive to progress.
goodlord666

Activity: 434

100%

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 11:26:07 AM

+1.5

Swishercutter

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 02:34:32 AM

1. Free speech
5. No NSFW content

You mean like "Foghorn Leghorn"...how about that big pussy "Sylvester".
EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 616

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 10:23:44 PM

May I suggest a little change in the forum's policy?
Please, stop blocking Tor-exit nodes. Grin
Binford 6100

Activity: 504

PGP OTC WOT: EB7FCE3D

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 05:39:37 AM

I noticed I can't delete my own posts anymore.
I used to keep my posts count low, deleting from threads to stop being notified
now I can only edit the post but the delete link is gone
will it stay this way, please?

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
cartwright

Activity: 6

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 10:49:50 AM

Please ban everyone who breaks the #2 rule.
server

Activity: 815

~\/~

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 11:16:56 AM

Make a public viewable Trashcan board in Other so that mods can move all trash-topics to the trashcan.
The trashcan board should be locked for users to reply, only readable.
Helps to educate users and prevent more garbage, users can see what undesirable content is.

And if you want the board to be more serious you can create a "Humor" section so mods don't have to trash these, but just move to this board.
w1R903

Activity: 218

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 12:55:33 PM

Can we please get some moderation on the thread in which the asshole lawyer filed a trademark claim on bitcoin?  I agree he's a jerk and I'd like to see him disbarred or disciplined for filing a fraudulent claim, but the "assassination market" posts are too much and should be deleted.  The world is watching, and as someone who is investing thousands of dollars in a Bitcoin related-business, I'm very concerned about the image these forums are giving the world.

4096R/F5EA0017
Alex Beckenham

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 01:24:14 PM

I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk

Lips sealed

bitbetter

I want to feel your empty heart.

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2011, 01:47:33 PM

Can we please get some moderation on the thread in which the asshole lawyer filed a trademark claim on bitcoin?  I agree he's a jerk and I'd like to see him disbarred or disciplined for filing a fraudulent claim, but the "assassination market" posts are too much and should be deleted.  The world is watching, and as someone who is investing thousands of dollars in a Bitcoin related-business, I'm very concerned about the image these forums are giving the world.

Perhaps you should stop using $$ because people do stuff with that which is much more depraved. Not saying that justifies assassination markets, but, you can't fault a currency for what people do with it. Also--I'm not so confident the world is listening...if you are...WHAT UP!

BitBetter | where your BitCoins are fun
12f4jinRUaqsHTn2mrDSxzkw9AQ9WBLwtX
coingenuity

Activity: 64

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 01:45:39 AM

A+ ruleset, IMHO.

Everyone knows bitcoins are too small for trolls to hold on to, anyway. Tongue

FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1526

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 04:40:44 AM

+1

LEASE THIS SIGNATURE OUT WEEKLY/MONTHLY.

PM ME FOR DETAILS
Smalleyster

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 01:24:39 AM

I don't mean to be rude, but the only "moderation" I see on this board seems to be moving threads to other categories. I've been "online" since 1980 and this is absolutly the least moderated, moderated forum I have ever participated in.

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387
error

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 02:57:08 AM

I don't mean to be rude, but the only "moderation" I see on this board seems to be moving threads to other categories. I've been "online" since 1980 and this is absolutly the least moderated, moderated forum I have ever participated in.

When is the last time you clicked the "Report to moderator" button?

15UFyv6kfWgq83Pp3yhXPr8rknv9m6581W
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 05:14:45 AM

I'm honestly offended.  Just because you might not like the "hand's off" moderation style of a predominately libertarian forum, doesn't mean that we aren't paying attention.  There's way too much volume for the number of mods to police all the posts, but that is what the 'report to moderator' button is for.  Even most of them are just one user complaining about another that s/he doesn't like, so very few of them are honest complaints from our perspectives.  If you don't like how we do things here, you're welcome and encouraged to start your own Bitcoin forum.  Trust me, we won't mind.

Smalleyster

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 05:17:43 AM

Day before yesterday, I think. I've clicked it a few times but have not noticed any action. Beides normally moderated boards/newsgoups/forums have little to no need of such a button. Yes I have moderated a few as well. Most moderators read their boards.

A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
Smalleyster

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 05:20:19 AM

I'm honestly offended.  Just because you might not like the "hand's off" moderation style of a predominately libertarian forum, doesn't mean that we aren't paying attention.  There's way too much volume for the number of mods to police all the posts, but that is what the 'report to moderator' button is for.  Even most of them are just one user complaining about another that s/he doesn't like, so very few of them are honest complaints from our perspectives.  If you don't like how we do things here, you're welcome and encouraged to start your own Bitcoin forum.  Trust me, we won't mind.

My sincere apologies sir, I did to mean to offend, merely (in my mind) stating an an (obviously unappreciated) observation in the hopes it might be taken as constuctive criticism. 95% or more of this forum is excellent. (Asbergers/autism is a bitch that bites me more than I care for)

error

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 06:24:11 PM

Day before yesterday, I think. I've clicked it a few times but have not noticed any action. Beides normally moderated boards/newsgoups/forums have little to no need of such a button. Yes I have moderated a few as well. Most moderators read their boards.

OK, you might not have meant to offend, but you certainly did.

You DO realize that this forum is far too large for anyone to read every post? Not if they have anything else to do with their 24 hours a day.

15UFyv6kfWgq83Pp3yhXPr8rknv9m6581W
Smalleyster

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 11:24:08 PM

You DO realize that this forum is far too large for anyone to read every post? Not if they have anything else to do with their 24 hours a day.

Me and my big mouth/fingers. My bad.

I will take your advice and use the "Report to moderator" button more often.

Good day sirs.

hugolp

Activity: 742

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 05:02:37 PM

I can attest that the moderation policy is deliberated. I am an anarchist but had other ideas on how to handle the forum, meaning more strict moderation, but I was told to let go and so I did. Now I only moderate the most blatant cases. Its the style that is wanted for this forum.
Christian Pezza

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2011, 03:53:32 PM

I certainly appreciate your work and I am sure many of us!

Thank you for the good work!!! Smiley

Ps I guess our friend sincerely didn't mean to offend anybody but just say thinks in own way and of course could hurt.

If you like this tread consider to donate some to https://bitcointalk.org/donate.html
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2011, 06:04:44 PM

What protections can I get on here if I'm being harassed by another user or if my reputation has been brought into disrepute because someone posts lies about me?cus I've been hassled recently and accused of things that just aren't true.

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
August 21, 2011, 06:25:55 AM

Whta protections can I get on here if I'm being harassed by another user or if my reputation has been brought into disrepute because someone posts lies about me?cus I've been hassled recently and accused of things that just aren't true.
Not much, I'm afraid. It is up to the users to resolve disputes, and it's up to the individual readers to determine for themselves who they think is right. If you are clearly in the right, nobody will hold the accusations against you.

da2ce7
Legendary

Activity: 1222

Live and Let Live

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 07:29:43 AM

I just want to put my 2-cents in.

Previously I have argued that this forum should remain as free as possible.    However, now I'm forced to re-consider my opinion.  I believe that we should be giving more power and discretion and trust to the moderators in this forum.

I believe that there is nothing more dis-hearting that limiting the powers that the mods have, yet still expecting them to carry out an effective job.

Overall the question boils down to 'do we trust the moderators or not’ I for one certainly do.  They have shown time-after-time to be very reliable and level headed.  Allowing the moderators to ban accounts, see the IP address, move and delete stupid topics, and the whole host of standard moderation powers would make this forum far better.  It also would be a vote of confidence in those doing the good work already.

@theymos, I really hope you can choose to empower your moderators, otherwise they will lose heart and you will not have any quality ones anymore.

One off NP-Hard.
Christian Pezza

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2011, 01:49:11 AM

Make a public viewable Trashcan board in Other so that mods can move all trash-topics to the trashcan.
The trashcan board should be locked for users to reply, only readable.
Helps to educate users and prevent more garbage, users can see what undesirable content is.

And if you want the board to be more serious you can create a "Humor" section so mods don't have to trash these, but just move to this board.
+1

If you like this tread consider to donate some to https://bitcointalk.org/donate.html
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2011, 03:34:31 AM

Being free and libertarian is good and all but allowing a platform to trolls who frequently make callous, vicious, and mean spirited attacks between members is ridiculous.  The forum should accept that there is a big difference between being heavy handed and the middle way response of promoting mature, rational, and responsible behavior on the board.  To not do that, in my opinion, is irresponsible and harms bitcoin.

Thanks for your input.  And note, if you will, that "callous, vicious, and mean spirited" is entirely subjective.  Subjectively, "in my opinion, is irresponsible and harms bitcoin" in reference to the style of moderation that the establishment has chosen to promote, could be interpreted exactly the same way.  Just because your not cursing, doesn't change this perspective.  And yet, you will not find a single mod here that would censor yourself over this opinion about us.  Manners would be a grand thing to have, but some members don't, and we simply couldn't force manners even if we had the time.  If you feel strongly about this, I recommend that you start another forum, with rules of your own liking, and invite a few of the early adopters to participate.

Kettenmonster

Activity: 420

bool eval(bool b){return b ? b==true : b==false;}

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 08:11:52 PM

Reading this thread up and down, still puzzled. What is all this arguing really about?

> 1. Free speech - you can say anything as long as it is relevant and presented in a calm and polite manner.
Goes without mentioning, is self evident, any communication violating this rule is void.
Ok "relevant" and "calm" as well as "polite" are open to be discussed.
But this is a 90% to 10% or rather 99% to 1% issue. Just making up some numbers:
Of 1% being "censored" let there be 1% wrongly accused. So what? Wait until these numbers get relevant.
I am absolutely sure this forum will safely sort that out with ease.
Definitely easier than sorting out the hassle without this rule.

> 2. No zero value posts or threads, like "SELL SELL SELL"
Difficult to decide where zero starts.
But I heavyly rely an mods with experience to handle such difficult questions with ease.

> 3. No pointless or uninteresting threads.
Repeating 2. => same argument

> 4. No referral code spam
Makes life easier, posts have a number to refer to.
It is all written above, so leave it there. Repetitio non placet.
Be polite, don΄t bore others.

> 5. No NSFW content
See 1. nothing really new here.

You can reduce the rules to:
Free speech - you can say anything as long as it is relevant and presented in a calm and polite manner.
2. to 5. are redundant thus help explaining the idea.

worth reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Theory_of_Communicative_Actio

The paining (sic!) is done with the QPainter class inside the paintEvent() method.
(source: my internet)
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 12:47:37 AM

Some guidelines:

"1. Free speech - you can say anything as long as it is relevant and presented in a calm and polite manner."

So calling people "scummy fuck" and "sockpuppet" is polite and calm? I've noticed and reported people for this and there don't seem to be consequences.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 07:22:56 PM

Some guidelines:

4. No referral code spam
5. No NSFW content

Yes, but who will moderate the moderators (who, from what I understand, work for free entirely out of a love of power)?  You need a voting system so the forum can moderate itself.  Democracy please.

Oh, Yeah!  That's why I bother, the POWER!

Kettenmonster

bool eval(bool b){return b ? b==true : b==false;}

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 08:45:20 PM

... You need a voting system so the forum can moderate itself.

Do we? I mean do we need a voting system?
Besides the issue of implementing it what issue is to be solved by that system?

The paining (sic!) is done with the QPainter class inside the paintEvent() method.
(source: my internet)
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 12:05:15 PM

A voting system would conflict with the very foundation of the forum policy (free speech).

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
BinaryMage

Activity: 560

Ad astra.

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 06:04:00 AM

Apologize if this has been addressed and I missed it, but is #5 still enforced? Seems a good amount of NSFW content goes entirely unmoderated. (Not stating that this is good or bad, just asking)

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 06:05:03 AM

Apologize if this has been addressed and I missed it, but is #5 still enforced? Seems a good amount of NSFW content goes entirely unmoderated. (Not stating that this is good or bad, just asking)

It is if I see it.  Where are you finding this NSFW content at?

BinaryMage

Ad astra.

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 06:09:32 AM

This is a rather poignant example. (Direct NSFW)
Also things such as this, this, and this. (Indirect NSFW/Advertising NSFW Projects)

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2012, 06:16:14 AM

I personally didn't care about the first one since it said NSFW in the topic title. 

As for the others, I don't see anything wrong with those.

BinaryMage

Ad astra.

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 06:59:13 AM

I personally didn't care about the first one since it said NSFW in the topic title. 

As for the others, I don't see anything wrong with those.

I'm not asking for moderation, I'm asking for policy clarification.

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2012, 11:53:37 AM

Yes it is still enforced, but those last three wouldn't fall under that rule. That rule is primarily meant for hotlinking NSFW images. Text wouldn't generally be considered NSFW.

rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 02:34:02 PM

This is a rather poignant example. (Direct NSFW)
Also things such as this, this, and this. (Indirect NSFW/Advertising NSFW Projects)
Yes, I don't care about links, but embedded NSFW sucks if I browse at work. I had reported that first one, but nothing had happened on it until now.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
BinaryMage

Ad astra.

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 03:04:58 PM

Yes it is still enforced, but those last three wouldn't fall under that rule. That rule is primarily meant for hotlinking NSFW images. Text wouldn't generally be considered NSFW.

Alright, thanks for the clarification, that answers my question.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 2814

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 03:05:46 AM

Yes, I don't care about links, but embedded NSFW sucks if I browse at work. I had reported that first one, but nothing had happened on it until now.

I removed the embedded image after someone reported it -- maybe you. Embedded NSFW images are definitely not allowed. NSFW links are OK if they are clearly marked as such.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
officialsavage

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 04:28:09 PM

+1

Good idea.  I do the +1 from time to time, but would be much better to have a like or dislike button.  I'm sure the +1 annoys some.

The other annoying posts are sub and watching, those also should be considered zero value posts.  I'm sure some will disagree, but who really gives a shit if your subscribing to the thread or watching the thread.
giszmo
Legendary

‘ɥɔʇɐʍ ʇsnɾ &#7

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2012, 05:11:03 PM

hagnah! Lets moderator-delete all those zero-value posts of +1/like/watching/sub that only serve to overcome the short-comings of the forum software rather than to fix them.

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2012, 06:15:57 PM

"Subbing" threads is the only way to add it to the watchlist and be notified of new replies. This one. Notify is useless as it just sends you emails. Just people making the best they can of shortcomings in the forum.

officialsavage

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 10:15:57 PM

"Subbing" threads is the only way to add it to the watchlist and be notified of new replies. This one. Notify is useless as it just sends you emails. Just people making the best they can of shortcomings in the forum.

I thought people were just posting that they subscribed using the notify button.  But now I get it.  Thanks for the explanation.
ssaCEO

Activity: 568

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2012, 11:14:00 AM

Image sigs are totally banned now?

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2012, 11:56:22 AM

Yes, see here.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=51077.0

giszmo
Legendary

‘ɥɔʇɐʍ ʇsnɾ &#7

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2012, 07:29:22 PM

Hi! I wonder is there any moderation rule about moving stuff out of "Bitcoin Discussion"? I know it is very tempting to use it and not care about the sub forums and I think new projects deserve the publicity and come here but I wonder if it would make sense to aggressively try to move threads out of there when they are a week or two old? I'm referring to project specific stuff like:

[ANNOUNCE] TORwallet - anonymous mixing wallet service (12-06-13)
[Payout Updates] Bitcoinica site is taken offline for security investigation (12-05-28)
BITCOIN MAGAZINE ARRIVED! (12-05-24)
and many more that get bumped up for weeks and months and that I'm just tired of seeing as following them got far too off track, repetitive or plain pointless.

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2012, 01:42:46 PM

It's not a bad idea at the core, I wouldn't have a problem enforcing it, I just don't think it's a big enough problem to solve. I did something similar for existing services/businesses that liked to post announcements, leave them for a few days then move.

I'm pretty happy with Bitcoin Discussion in general, and most others are I think. There's a few threads that are annoying but overall it works out well. If announcements are constantly being brought back to the first page it just means people are interested in it, or it generates lots of discussion, which isn't a bad thing. If the replies are taking the thread off track, that's a separate issue and isn't solved by just moving the thread, and a thread shouldn't be moved just because of the replies.

The Bitcoinica thread, I leave because it's fairly big news, and relevant to a large percentage of readers. For stuff like that I'll usually leave one main thread, and move the rest to the proper forum. 

Chong Ciao

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 01:09:07 PM

What makes moderators moderators then globalmods. and then administrators ?
do they need reason for their decisions ? are they scrutinable by newbies?
Thanks
kuzetsa

Activity: 369

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 09:38:01 PM

1. Free speech
5. No NSFW content

Not all moms were created equal. In this era there is a growing number of parents whom strongly in free-thinking and such. Some cultures it's shameful to show one's hair or face, etc...

Sorry, I live with an anthropological scholar whom, among other things has formally studied some of the finer points of taboo and sexuality (across national boarders even)

"no porn / nothing NSFW" is a fine restriction to free speech. Can be likened to restrictions on hate speech, etc.

Edited to add:

A step in a wrong direction. Now moderators will decide which posts have "low value", which posts are "uninteresting" or "pointless". In practice moderators will delete everything they don't like. The words "free speech" above are thus an obvious lie.

That, however, is a fear I share. Subjective things which are not perceived universally by all individuals.

Final edit /// So uh... I've caught up on this whole thread now:

where does current policy stand anyway?

Main thing I ever see enforced is a loose concept of "scammer" with tags being applied to various users for various reasons which don't seem to be well documented in a conspicuous way / nowhere I've seen in forums explains the exact definition of scammer (comprehensively or otherwise)
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 01:15:31 AM

Main thing I ever see enforced is a loose concept of "scammer" with tags being applied to various users for various reasons which don't seem to be well documented in a conspicuous way / nowhere I've seen in forums explains the exact definition of scammer (comprehensively or otherwise)

I'm glad you don't see moderation. I hate it when moderation is intrusive on forums.

kuzetsa

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 01:47:35 PM

1. Free speech
5. No NSFW content

Not all moms were created equal. In this era there is a growing number of parents whom strongly in free-thinking and such. Some cultures it's shameful to show one's hair or face, etc...

Sorry, I live with an anthropological scholar whom, among other things has formally studied some of the finer points of taboo and sexuality (across national boarders even)

"no porn / nothing NSFW" is a fine restriction to free speech. Can be likened to restrictions on hate speech, etc.

Edited to add:

That, however, is a fear I share. Subjective things which are not perceived universally by all individuals.

Final edit /// So uh... I've caught up on this whole thread now:

where does current policy stand anyway?

I'm glad you don't see moderation. I hate it when moderation is intrusive on forums.

Thanks.

What about the other points?

Is there a thing anywhere (navigation link, sticky or otherwise) which explains the moderation and/or scammer guidelines?
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 01:52:22 PM

Thanks.

Is there a thing anywhere (navigation link, sticky or otherwise) which explains the moderation and/or scammer guidelines?

There are scattered topics about that. Everything's not in one place.

kuzetsa

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 02:52:33 PM

Thanks.

There are scattered topics about that. Everything's not in one place.

I didn't see any stickies in the "meta" section. that would make sense.

Would you or anyone else be willing to aggregate the policies and sticky them in there?
Aahzman

Activity: 602

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 10:56:41 AM

what about daily "bumping up my post" posts?
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 12:58:00 PM

No more than once daily. You shouldn't bump a post too many times in a row. Bumping shouldn't be annoying. Delete old "bump" posts so they don't clutter up the topic.

giszmo
Legendary

‘ɥɔʇɐʍ ʇsnɾ &#7

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 02:36:11 PM

No more than once daily. You shouldn't bump a post too many times in a row. Bumping shouldn't be annoying. Delete old "bump" posts so they don't clutter up the topic.

Interesting policy. I consider pure bump posts very very rude. If I can't make up any """news""", I don't bump my threads.

If bumping is all fine with the mods, could you please introduce a checkbox "bump up once per day" so I can bump it without cluttering it with "/bump" posts? Aka I don't agree with pure bumping being all fine as it is the opposite of the often requested feature of rating posts and threads.

sublime5447

Activity: 784

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 04:40:15 PM

1. Free speech
5. No NSFW content

I like Alex A+. There needs to be a place for people to say what ever they want. Then there needs to be a place that is women and young person friendly. The newbie forum would be a excellent place for full rule enforcement the trading forum not so much. If you can let the people know clearly what kind of room their in they will generally self regulate the content. If we develop and area for "serious" transactions that is clearly marked with expected behavior clearly posted then you wont have to spend so much time micromanaging. 

COBINHOOD – ZERO TRADING FEE CRYPTOCURRENCY EXCHANGE 
slack
Telegram
luckyindia

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 11:18:56 PM

All sections have moderators.....but there is no moderator for INDIA..Please nominate a moderator
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 09:22:26 PM

People come here for the entertainment as much as the information so please don't doosh the forum with restrictive censorship.

Its been pretty lax so far Tongue

betafall

Activity: 130

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 02:26:32 AM

Some guidelines:

4. No referral code spam
5. No NSFW content

Completely agree. I think the moderator is on a power trip and definitely giving more favor to larger companies. I asked the moderator  in the general discussion to please clarify why some service announcements are allowed (eg. Dentist accepting Bitcoin, Bitpay announcements, etc.) and others are moved to the services announcement page.

My request to clarify post was promptly moved to the "other/meta" thread. lol. I think there's a kickback system going on here. I will be starting a reddit post to try to give this more attention. New services are being shutout at the discretion of the moderator.   
luckyindia

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 03:29:34 AM

Limited Liberty is ok. Too much of Liberty is dangerous as it may affect the interests of other members. Anything may be stated as long as the interests of a majority of members are not affected.
NedKLee

Activity: 46

"In the morning"

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 12:58:25 PM

After 9 years regular army and a lifetime as an interstate truck driver, I believe I've heard it all, but expletive suffused posts still drive me spare, so I excersise my own form of moderation, if you can't express yourself in a Proper manner than I will simply ignore your post, no matter how relevant, informative or interesting it may be.

I've been part of ( and still am) many forums where offensive language is simply not tolerated, likewise with personal attacks involving race, creed, colour or religion, sexual proclivities or otherwise, yet the debate still remains robust.

Free speech by all means, but with free speech comes responsibility too and a limitless courtesy and respect go a long way.
claire

Activity: 84

Capitalism rocks my world.

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 11:01:15 PM

oh i guess my avatar isn't safe for work probably....

Phone Sex for Bitcoin <-- Free Trial
Submit to Me Now: 1Ldwb1ovoJ1bGfJnpwbiE1eSg3LkEYZv9X
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 11:07:11 PM

I think it's kinda borderline.  We'll see if we get any complaints first.

tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966

Keep it real

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 12:26:12 AM

I think it's kinda borderline.  We'll see if we get any complaints first.

I'd suggest changing it, I wouldn't want that showing up on my computer at work.
giszmo
Legendary

‘ɥɔʇɐʍ ʇsnɾ &#7

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 05:33:06 PM

If you work at the FED, yeah, it is NSFW Wink

Alpaca John

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 10:16:05 AM

Like when the mods imposed their own ideologies in the sidebar of r/bitcoin? And refused to remove it even though a clear majority wants to get rid of them?

Yeah, I hate that too.
bernard75
Legendary

Activity: 1162

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 04:32:11 PM

I find the trust system and its future implementation quite intrusive.
jimmijames73

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 07:27:39 AM

Some guidelines:

4. No referral code spam
5. No NSFW content

I would like to also suggest:

6. No personal attacks or threats.

This would help stop threads degenerating into mud slinging matches and abuse.  There are a number of recent threads where physical threats have been made which I don't think helps to build a cohesive community.

I am sure other people may think differently and like the entertainment factor.  Just my 2 satoshis.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1484

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2013, 05:05:24 PM

Banning people for insults etc. is a one way trip to making the forum deserted, considering how vague rules usually are it means you could get banned for calling a moderator out for being a power tripping douchebag, I can't believe how many people are missing the ignore function, it's perfectly easy to use and great at blocking people from annoying you when you're having a discussion.
faiza1990

★☆★777Coin★☆★

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 06:14:39 PM

Is there a thing anywhere (navigation link, sticky or otherwise) which explains the moderation and/or spammer guidelines?

TitanBTC

Activity: 322

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2013, 08:55:52 PM

Are moderators really reading through every post to determine if its valuable or not?  How do we call attention to posts that really suck?  Can we ban people of low intelligence?  Is it right to do so?

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 05:48:53 PM

Are moderators really reading through every post to determine if its valuable or not? 

Not anymore.

How do we call attention to posts that really suck?

The report button.

Can we ban people of low intelligence?  Is it right to do so?

We could, but no, that wouldn't be proper.

TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 06:41:44 PM

Love is not only for beautiful people, and Bitcoins are not only for intelligent, wealthy people. -TippingPoint

ManBearPig

Activity: 350

"Don't go in the trollbox, trollbox, trollbox"

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 12:04:13 PM

I've no interest in participating in any forum whose rules take longer than 3 seconds to read.

But yes, subjectivity is your main problem: a lot of uninteresting posts are entertaining, a lot of entertaining posts are uninteresting.

Repeat ad nauseum.

Would hate to see this please get legislated into oblivion.

I tweet crypto nonsense: https://twitter.com/DunningKruger_
bernard75
Legendary

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 06:14:20 AM

How do we call attention to posts that really suck?

The report button.

Who gets those reports? The mod of the corresponding forum or the poor admin?
tysat
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 12:13:45 PM

Who gets this reports? The mod of the corresponding forum or the poor admin?

Anyone who has access to moderate that section will see the report.
virtualmaster

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 06:24:14 PM

Some guidelines:

4. No referral code spam
5. No NSFW content
Amen.

Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
Namecoinia.org  -  take the planet in your hands
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba   |  NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S
chemdog

Activity: 35

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 05:42:17 AM

awesome forum!
rimbit

Activity: 353

Rimbit - No mining, just development

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2013, 03:51:02 AM

Is constant bumping considered spamming?

[ANN] Rimbit --- We removed mining so its just the community and coin --- Click Here
tysat
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 06:42:10 AM

Bumping is limited to 1 bump per 24 hours.
devthedev
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 04:03:02 AM

It makes sense that it would be.

deisik
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 03:35:52 PM

Are moderators really reading through every post to determine if its valuable or not?  How do we call attention to posts that really suck?  Can we ban people of low intelligence?  Is it right to do so?

I don't think it is a right thing to ban people just because they say something really stupid unless and until they take to personal insults (though you would usually expect them to)

SaltySpitoon
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 1778

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 07:43:45 AM

I don't think it is a right thing to ban people just because they say something really stupid unless and until they take to personal insults (though you would usually expect them to)

Bans really aren't given out lightly. You would have to say hundreds of stupid things, and make more than a few personal insults, of which you would recieve warning, so it wouln't be a surprise before you get banned. Posting Malware and such however is a good way to get banned.
freethink2013

Activity: 224

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 09:28:27 PM

Super forum. It's great to be on a forum that isn't reliant on adsense and therefore beholden to their rules. I haven't noticed any moderation and that's always a good sign. Not that it isn't happening just that it's not a huge drama.
Scepto

Activity: 12

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 06:55:15 AM

Thanks for this sirius. I take it that means we are not allowed to comment 'bump' on certain threads?

✰ If You Risk Nothing, You Risk Everything | PrimeDice.com | The New Way To Roll |  (https://PrimeDice.com) *Thread* (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=208986.0)
Mondy

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 11:28:54 PM

Thanks for this sirius. I take it that means we are not allowed to comment 'bump' on certain threads?

I think he said 1 bump per 24 hours

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 11:45:27 PM

I think he said 1 bump per 24 hours

That's correct.

AnonyMint

Activity: 518

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 04:39:18 AM

After 9 years regular army and a lifetime as an interstate truck driver, I believe I've heard it all, but expletive suffused posts still drive me spare, so I excersise my own form of moderation, if you can't express yourself in a Proper manner than I will simply ignore your post, no matter how relevant, informative or interesting it may be.

I've been part of ( and still am) many forums where offensive language is simply not tolerated, likewise with personal attacks involving race, creed, colour or religion, sexual proclivities or otherwise, yet the debate still remains robust.

Free speech by all means, but with free speech comes responsibility too and a limitless courtesy and respect go a long way.

The Army ain't decentralized. Please ignore me.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
Chris180Z

Activity: 238

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 09:11:40 PM

So what about linking to NSFW sites? e.g. Sexcoin links to porn websites where their currency can be spent.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2013, 09:17:54 PM

That's fine, just mention the links are NSFW. It's hotlinked images that are the problem.

farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1446

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 02:56:15 PM

I'm wondering about the altcoin thread. Today it has grown to a crazy number of "alt's" and seems more like a casino of pump&dump- get rich schemes.  What is the reasoning of having this? Maybe to "keep an eye" on the competition?

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
basspaper

Activity: 19

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 10:45:39 PM

What actually mean this notice/warning message behind new members? On every languages, with this smile --->   `;)`
`Don't do illegal things, don't make youself problems....`

Is it humor? Or what?

Are every messages dumped to somewhere else? Who monitor us? What government ? FBI? CIA?

torchat: ksavpe5ww2xf5b64
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 12:24:07 AM

What actually mean this notice/warning message behind new members? On every languages, with this smile --->   `;)`
`Don't do illegal things, don't make youself problems....`

Is it humor? Or what?

Are every messages dumped to somewhere else? Who monitor us? What government ? FBI? CIA?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: Yes, all of the above.

luqash3

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 03:29:07 PM

At first I want to congratulate you guys the make it a highly popular forum in a matter of only few days. Secondly thanks for taking strict action against the people who are just scamming. Yes for sure I have understood your policies which are surely great. 

∞          YOU TOO CAN BE A MILLIONAIRE – INFINITECOIN Infinite possibilities – http://infinitecointalk.org          ∞
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 02:54:21 AM

At first I want to congratulate you guys the make it a highly popular forum in a matter of only few days. Secondly thanks for taking strict action against the people who are just scamming. Yes for sure I have understood your policies which are surely great. 

This forum has been here for four years.

Borbolon

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 12:25:08 AM

FYC: While reading the forum I'm constantly bumping into some huge colorful "signatures" (they look more like bilboards) that make reading difficult sometimes.  Sad
hostmaster

Activity: 266

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 09:34:25 AM

Some guidelines:

4. No referral code spam
5. No NSFW content

I most like the item number one. I feel here is freer place than many other forums. Staff is really pushing hard.

Aleksk

Activity: 17

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 01:12:23 AM

I've posted about my stolen bitcoin from my multibit wallet while off and password protected, however my post was removed. I was wondering if this is an illegitimate topic or where could address this issue for having more info? Thanks
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 01:15:04 AM

This thread? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=407861

Aleksk

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 01:03:57 PM

yes, it was moved and couldn't find it anymore. Sorry for the confusion.
drdops

Activity: 144

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 12:49:39 PM

Anyone had their membership status dropped by one? Is this related to above?
malevolent
can into space
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 1834

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 02:15:19 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=423995.0
Dragoo

Activity: 3

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 04:14:08 PM

Love is not only for beautiful people, and Bitcoins are not only for intelligent, wealthy people. -TippingPoint

I absolutely love your point.  U r my hero
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 1400

Cryptodesigner / cryptodeveloper

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 11:22:00 PM

I absolutely love your point.  U r my hero

Smiley That is so true and we can see it around forum Cheesy

[
]

██
██
██
██
██
██
██

░███████████████████████████████████░
███████░░░░░░░██████████░░░████░░░███
███████░█████░█████████░███░██░███░██
███████░█████░█████████░███░██░███░██
██░░░░░░█████░░░░░░█████░░░████░░░███
██░███████████████░██████████████████
██░░░░░░█████░░░░░░██████████████████
███████░█████░███████████████████████
███████░█████░███████████████████████
███████░░░░░░░███████████████████████
░███████████████████████████████████░

████░████░███░░████░████░░███████░░░░░░░████████░░███████
██████████████░████░████░█████████░░░░░█████████░█████████
████░████░████░████░████░████░████░░░░░████░████░████░░███
████░████░████░████░████░█████████░███░████░████░██████░
████░████░████░████░████░█████████░███░████░████░░████████
████░████░████░████░████░████░░░░░░░░░░████░████░░░░░░████
████░████░████░████░████░████░████░░░░░████░████░████░████
████░████░████░█████████░█████████░███░█████████░█████████
████░████░████░░███████░░░███████░░███░░████████░░███████
░░░░░░░░░░████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
░░░░░░░░░░██████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
Baitty

Activity: 546

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 01:51:21 PM

Such a big forum but there are no clear rules on the forum thats a shame.

Currently held as collateral by monbux
deisik
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 02:04:06 PM

This is obviously a lawless and primarily self-moderated forum, and this is likely one of the reasons why it has grown that big...

Is that a shame really?

Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 04:59:14 PM

FYC: While reading the forum I'm constantly bumping into some huge colorful "signatures" (they look more like bilboards) that make reading difficult sometimes.  
Yes, those are annoying. I'm tempted to write a Firefox plug-in that hides all posts with advertising signatures. Since people are paid for those posts, they're spam.
zero3112

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 02:44:40 AM

Its bad when people have 3 lines of billboards. Makes it so hard to even find what they wrote for the post.
mysidia

Activity: 94

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 03:32:38 AM

The fewer rules the better.     If you don't need the rule to have a chat with a few friends, why should a forum need it?    Forums, where the furniture police have set out 100+ rules are not a pleasure to participate in.

You want civility,  on-topic adult discussion with minimal distraction,  and high signal  encouraged by deleting things that don't add potential value.

I do agree, that signatures which are long or contain graphical banners  or large images are distracting and don't add to discussion.

Someone could make a rule of thumb,  about when the signature is just too much over the top.
But should it be in a list of rules?   Probably not.

BTC: 1FbuJxZCeJUqrP7EpUkgMKWAmAA1M8gUBd
LTC: LbvomgbwKnqk47mWzALCDEoV8ydjxYYYpF
TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 06:43:09 AM

One of the things that intelligent people do, when they try to determine if Bitcoin is a system with a future, is to read what is written in this forum.  Diversity and variety is good.  Dishonesty and meaness is not good.  Bitcoin is more about freedom than it is about conformity.
AnonyMint

Activity: 518

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 10:44:32 AM

One of the things that intelligent people do, when they try to determine if Bitcoin is a system with a future, is to read what is written in this forum.  Diversity and variety is good.  Dishonesty and meaness is not good.  Bitcoin is more about freedom than it is about conformity.

Thanks. Good to see that some people still understand:

“Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" - Benjamin Franklin (one of our founding fathers)

For the increasingly popular viewpoint in AmeriKa:

http://3dblogger.typepad.com/wired_state/2012/05/those-who-use-this-benjamin-franklin-quote-deserve-not-to-be-taken-seriously.html

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
fikriwic

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 06:18:19 AM

activity based on my post or something else?
how to add activity? im soo newbie.
i dont know why not all my post don't count as activity..
sory if repost... Grin
IamCANADIAN013

Activity: 728

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 08:15:19 AM

sory if repost... Grin

Activity is based on how long you are a member for the most part, not how many posts you make.

It's explained here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=177133.0

bananahoho

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 11:29:53 AM

sory if repost... Grin
The first day of the active value can be up to 14 second days rose to 28 after the need to go through the moderator of the certification to be upgraded

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
Free Distribution! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic
BFLrCONmen

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 08:14:03 AM

How about a policy to ban sociopathic liars and people who try to provide themselves with positive trust rating by running potentially ILLEGAL slandering campaigns just as josh (inaba) is doing to this site WITTHOUT the full permission of theymos who seriously has the biggest case of cognitive dissidence I've ever seen!

Oh no, there fine! Can't ban them but anyone who points out that there scummy sociopathic liars gets banned as they pay (Jan 2014 and before at least) this site a good amount of them stolen btcs!

How about some fucking banning hammers on these dirty filthy cockroaches! I mean just look at this shit and tell me what sane person would actually organise something like this!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=549403.0

Seriously! If admins gave a fuck he would have been banned over 12 months ago but he was paying good money to keep his sheep rearing campaign going! 1 sick mother fucker and who employees such a cockroach dirtbag!

Seriously people, stop being chumps you sheeple!
zero3112

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 10:16:10 PM

+1 is a place holder so I can go back edit the post and have it higher up in the thread can I not do this any more?
mysidia

Activity: 94

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 02:40:26 AM

5. No NSFW content

I think this may ultimately give posters too much uncertainty about whether what they are writing down or linking to is OK or not,   and it may discourage conversations we'd otherwise see which would be no fun;  NSFW is a very broad brushstroke.

I see occasional threads popping up with "NSFW" in the conversation title.
Not that the conversation itself is,  but the link may be.

Perhaps the rule should be extended to say no NSFW content outside of tasteful (non-obscene) content in a thread with (NSFW) in the title.
(Although that would not fully address.)

What some people view as NSFW varies, also;  in some workplaces just porn / pictures a coworker might happen to see are the line between personal use of employer resource's  and unacceptable usage (NSFW)....

Other workplaces are particularly strict, AND mere loading of a page with sexist or dirty jokes,  sexually suggestive chatter- just plain text,  Bitcoin itself,  or any sort of unprofessional subject matter  may be unsafe topics.

BTC: 1FbuJxZCeJUqrP7EpUkgMKWAmAA1M8gUBd
LTC: LbvomgbwKnqk47mWzALCDEoV8ydjxYYYpF
Schnitz

Activity: 15

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 08:00:15 AM

It seems to me that the deleting of posts is increasing and I don't understand the reasons. I guess "uninteresting" is a matter of perspective...
R.g.rauschenbach

Activity: 26

Cognitive Capital LLC

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2014, 02:59:33 AM

For some reason my posts are being deleted, but I'm not sure why. I've messaged moderators asking for help with the issue but I haven't gotten a response.

-Ross G. Rauschenbach

Sales Associate
CognitiveCapital.co
832-573-2372
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1344

Activity: 9001 == OP

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2014, 03:02:39 AM

That's fine, just mention the links are NSFW. It's hotlinked images that are the problem.

Think the rule needs to be edited to clarify that in OP post
Of course thats from 2011 so needs a bit of a general update Smiley

shanjun

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 06:41:20 AM

As long as it's not goatse, Alex Beckenham has a major point.

Also, some of the 'useless' threads are actually quite entertaining, if not educational (e.g. the Rawdawg and Bitcoin snail graph/meme ones).

I agree with the referral code one, though even that was interesting to see, some people are quite creative Smiley Tongue

flower the moon.SMWu9QKqtRdh3HkaH4TsvxSVi3S4uqEL9s
shanjun

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 09:17:26 AM

+1 is a place holder so I can go back edit the post and have it higher up in the thread can I not do this any more? Huh

flower the moon.SMWu9QKqtRdh3HkaH4TsvxSVi3S4uqEL9s
malevolent
can into space
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 09:37:46 AM

+1 is a place holder so I can go back edit the post and have it higher up in the thread can I not do this any more? Huh

No, you can't.
phantastisch
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 09:47:33 AM

It seems to me that the deleting of posts is increasing and I don't understand the reasons. I guess "uninteresting" is a matter of perspective...

Posting "interested" in three different threads is not adding anything to the discussion like you did as seen in your post history.
If the deleted posts were in this ball park , well go figure out yourself.

Du hφrst Klatschen, doch das war kein Applaus
Nur der Schlag meiner Faust, die dich Arschgeige haut
arteleis

Activity: 630

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 07:59:52 AM

Sounds good to me.  As a new user i wouldnt want to see valuable resources tied up in a glorified trollbox.  Haha. Theres already lots of trollboxes.

Thanks guys

SILKCOIN - DARKSILK - SILKWEAVER - FREEDOM
arteleis

Activity: 630

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 08:10:49 AM

Sounds good to me.  As a new user i wouldnt want to see valuable resources tied up in a glorified trollbox.  Haha. Theres already lots of trollboxes.

Thanks guys

Although it is awesome to see new coins come out and have a flood of one word interest.  For example cryptocasino the first proof of risk concept, had pages of one word support (share requests) and entire thread was deleted and his account was banned.
   This could be damaging to new coins as im not certain the rules of the forum are clearly defined and might hinder free response of excitement.
    In, saying that though im pretty sure this is an anti-troll/liability control measure in the cases of moving markets and/or controlling public trading on forum.
   Maybe better definition instead of users being afraid to respond?

SILKCOIN - DARKSILK - SILKWEAVER - FREEDOM
cc19

Activity: 83

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 02:57:58 PM

Some guidelines:

4. No referral code spam
5. No NSFW content

I will abide by the rules of the reply.

Real NEM adress:NCBVI6-QJI4AQ-C5HVB3-ZJZ3DP-H5CONN-SEABD4-TPUY
Schnitz

Activity: 15

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 07:15:09 PM

Posting "interested" in three different threads is not adding anything to the discussion like you did as seen in your post history.
If the deleted posts were in this ball park , well go figure out yourself.

That was the rule.
Ghepetto

Activity: 236

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 05:05:02 PM

This forum has now become part of the problem that Bitcoin will solve, irony at it's best

--------------------Bagholder Extraordinaire--------------------
deisik
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 05:27:08 PM

This forum has now become part of the problem that Bitcoin will solve, irony at it's best

How's that? Shocked

Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1456

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2014, 01:24:24 PM

What is the forum's policy when it comes to members who threaten others with violence ?

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2014, 02:10:08 PM

Direct threats of violence aren't allowed.

Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2014, 03:38:47 PM

That is what I thought.

I reported this post and was very surprised to see that it was dismissed.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=568453.msg6515318#msg6515318

thx BadBear. Smiley

tysat
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 08:30:21 PM

There's a 5 minute window after first posting where you can edit and that isn't shown... otherwise edits times are noted.

See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=177133.0

When you mouse over the post time it tells you the time of the last edit
yzhi

Activity: 118

AltCommunity AYWS1ys9n8a7DJctHraU7ZGGAG8FvXWQD8

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 01:01:41 PM

Some guidelines:

4. No referral code spam
5. No NSFW content

Smiley
It looks like a very good policy,but depends on context Wink.
Perhaps we can get a good post or bad post mod up and maybe to do the good job.
I support it.

AltCommunitycoin AYWS1ys9n8a7DJctHraU7ZGGAG8FvXWQD8
RoyBtc

Activity: 37

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 01:09:40 PM

but now ,many IPO in the forum, and I sure that many IPO is scam , moderation policy give a convenience to scammer  for deleting the doubting post
RoyBtc

Activity: 37

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 01:19:42 PM

but now ,many IPO in the forum, and I sure that many IPO is scam , moderation policy give a convenience to scammer  for deleting the doubting post

so I suggest that topic master cannot use moderation policy if this topic is a IPO thread.
BlockStreet

Activity: 27

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2014, 08:04:12 PM

What about defamation/slander of someones character?  Or do we just send them some Trollcoin?

http://blockstreet.info
malevolent
can into space
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 09:53:36 PM

What about defamation/slander of someones character?  Or do we just send them some Trollcoin?

If it's off-topic it may be deleted (depending on the on/off-topicness of the rest of the post), if it's clear they are lying it may be considered trolling, and trolls can get banned, although it's not easy to get banned for trolling.
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2014, 12:55:47 AM

Did scam-exposer get banned ?

Why is carsen/HASHx11 allowed to get away with repeatedly threatening others, including myself ?

Oh good grief.

I petition to ban the hashcoin/matrixcoin hack for making physical threats.  So now what? 

And you think I should be banned? 

Why do you want to waste the mods time with your silly nonsense?

Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2014, 12:07:46 AM

Did scam-exposer get banned ?

Why is carsen/HASHx11 allowed to get away with repeatedly threatening others, including myself ?

Oh good grief.

I petition to ban the hashcoin/matrixcoin hack for making physical threats.  So now what?  

And you think I should be banned?  

Why do you want to waste the mods time with your silly nonsense?

You are attempting to disrupt the livelihood of a lot of people for your own personal gain.

What did you think was going to happen?

F U for trying to justify the maggot's cowardly threats made against us.

You should be directing that statement to the shitcoin cloners and their shills. It is up to them to earn our trust. Not vice-versa.

Did you really create this account just for me ? (blushes) I've never had my own groupie before ! Tongue
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=333110;sa=showPosts

Aceman

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 02:00:23 PM

Seem like good rules that are easy to follow.
moriartybitcoin

★777Coin.com★ Fun BTC Casino!

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:17:19 PM

I've been slandered/falsely accused several times on this forum, I don't think the admins give a sh!t.

To be fair though, they can't investigate every instance of slander/defamation .. people need to think for themselves, defend themselves, and be smart.

Djo

Activity: 25

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 07:53:13 AM

I don`t think there is loads of crap in the forum.
Good job Sirius
iflash

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 01:06:47 PM

Strange policy here:

I posted a topic about a service that is yet to be determined whether it's a scam or and I tried to give my impressions on it. My topic was ported to trash. Well, maybe I did something wrong but:

A very similar thread about the same web site is still there and nobody seems to care.

Well, I guess people measure with different sticks here - that stinks. And kills the opportunity for giving information to others.

Best

iFlash
phantastisch
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 04:03:28 PM

Strange policy here:

I posted a topic about a service that is yet to be determined whether it's a scam or and I tried to give my impressions on it. My topic was ported to trash. Well, maybe I did something wrong but:

A very similar thread about the same web site is still there and nobody seems to care.

Well, I guess people measure with different sticks here - that stinks. And kills the opportunity for giving information to others.

Best

iFlash

No. You decided to "voice your opinion" in a new Thread with your referallink instead of discussing and sharing your thoughts about the exact same service in an already existing active thread that was opened just a few days ago. You already admitted to seeing it. I can clearly see an deleted post of you in the Trashcan , where you tried to do the exact same thing with your pbmining referal.

You kill the opportunity to see quality posts for other people with promoting your referallinks for your own profit. Stop being a dickhead.

buy4crypto

freecrypto.top

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2014, 01:45:38 AM

I would also like this implemented.

I think this would be a good idea. Sometimes an edit can happen right away, or days later. It can make a big difference in relevance.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
████ - freecrypto.top - btcinfo.top - DIGITAL CURRENCY DIRECTORIES - freeMonero.comfunbtc.xyz  ████
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1414

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2014, 02:14:58 PM

Are these guidelines used by the moderators when removing posts, should the community therefore report posts that infringe these guidelines?

I've seen a few NSFW threads out there, some of which are tagged as NSFW - is that acceptable etiquette? Perhaps these guidelines need updating. I like the idea of having a centralised and definitive guide to forum moderation for all to see and refer to.

Ta.

Magicman420

Activity: 309

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 04:58:30 AM

Just wanna say i really like this forum,, and respect the rules of no spam and stuff like that. I like a tight run forum
Shen yingying

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 06:27:32 AM

Some guidelines:

4. No referral code spam
5. No NSFW content

Good policy, That make sure the post is meaningful and useful

Bitcoin and Litecoin trading platform. Up to 100% deposit bonus. Fund with credit card. http://bitcoinforex.ws
ParacelStorm

Activity: 12

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 04:51:39 PM

I'm not sure that i got you right guys but i'm voting for no rules except the government laws on forum.
bernard75
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 11:58:06 AM

The rules are from 2011 and i havent seen a topic or post deleted since.
Unfortunately the more content, the more revenue, irrelevant of he content.
malevolent
can into space
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 09:04:48 AM

The rules are from 2011 and i havent seen a topic or post deleted since.
Unfortunately the more content, the more revenue, irrelevant of he content.

Then you haven't seen much Wink
l3sny

Activity: 851

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 07:49:39 PM

Hi

What is your approach to 'spam marketing'? I have asked a few users via PM to comment on my project on the thread and now I am receiving complaints of spam marketing there. It is not a big deal however I just wonder if I could be moderating my own thread?
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 08:18:04 PM

Don't send unsolicited pm's advertising your services, it is considered spam.

l3sny

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 08:31:07 PM

I am politely asking people for opinions and comments on my thread. I am not telling them to invest or buy my shares.
I think it is closer to a survey. If they do not like it they can write back to me directly. I do not use any bots or other automated systems.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 09:11:39 PM

I am politely asking people for opinions and comments on my thread. I am not telling them to invest or buy my shares.
I think it is closer to a survey. If they do not like it they can write back to me directly. I do not use any bots or other automated systems.

Still spam, don't do it.

l3sny

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 10:13:53 AM

And apart from the above I just want to socialize a bit. On some 100+ PM's I got only 1 negative comment and 1 PM "not interested". And some 3 people from the list signed in on the platform. So of course I will be criticized for spamming but it is highly effective in my opinion;)
phantastisch
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 10:20:47 AM

And apart from the above I just want to socialize a bit. On some 100+ PM's I got only 1 negative comment and 1 PM "not interested". And some 3 people from the list signed in on the platform. So of course I will be criticized for spamming but it is highly effective in my opinion;)

Still spam, don't do it.

What part of badbears sentence didnt you understand , the spam or the don't do it part ? A report could yield you a ban , just sayin...

l3sny

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 11:48:57 AM

How about this:
Freedom of speech is the political right to communicate one's opinions and ideas using one's body and property to anyone who is willing to receive them. The term freedom of expression is sometimes used synonymously, but includes any act of seeking, receiving and imparting information or ideas, regardless of the medium used.

If I am sending PMs manually and each is unique in the sense that it is addressed to a certain person and say there is content related to this person's activities or interests it should not be treated as a spam.  The feedback is in general positive and some people signed in to our platform. This means that my information has a value for them. I do not ask for joining the platform but rather for opinion on the business model, the website etc. So as long as nobody is complaining and reporting me it is Ok. At least there should be something on the user's account saying for instance "No spam!" or some other warning. I know how sensitive this matter is and I am not going to flood this forum with spam as it would result in negative consequences for me and my business. I am just trying to find some balance.  Please note that some people not only do not mind my PM's but actually are doing what I am asking for.

And basically all I want is feedback on the thread not to join kryptologika.

It is something like knocking to someone's door saying Hello and asking: "Have you heard about bitcoin?" -and there are options:
a) slam the door
b) listen perhaps there is a valid information from the messenger

pandacoin
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 12:45:51 PM

It is something like knocking to someone's door saying Hello and asking: "Have you heard about bitcoin?" -and there are options:
a) slam the door

It's spam. If people are interested in your service, they can read your thread. That's why we have this forum. Why do you want to spam everybody with PM's? If I get this type of PM I'll definitely report it.
l3sny

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 01:04:53 PM

If people are interested in your service, they can read your thread ??
I think I am missing something.
Only if people read my thread they may get interested. They do not read it because they do not know about it's existence.

It is clear I will not send you anything pandacoin and thank you for your response.
pandacoin
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 01:49:37 PM

Let's think about every service provider doing the same thing as you do. What will it cause? Spam.
l3sny

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 02:13:12 PM

Actually they are not doing this for some reasons I guess it is too much time consuming. If they do they use automated spam.
What I am doing is a kind of manual/personal survey and I do not solicit my business directly. It is about communication between people. And even more. Restricting me from communicating with other forum members in this way is limiting me as a Bitcoin enterpreneur, I cannot develop my services I cannot present my business model etc. Not good for bitcoin economy. I think you should rather support such actions no matter if someone is reporting this as spam.
malevolent
can into space
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 02:48:12 PM

If people are interested in your service, they can read your thread ??
I think I am missing something.
Only if people read my thread they may get interested. They do not read it because they do not know about it's existence.

You can let them know by other means:

- you can rent ad slots on this forum - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=731988.0
- you can pay people to put a link to your site or thread in their signatures
- you can PM people that have elsewhere on the forum recently voiced interest in paying for services similar to yours

If I am sending PMs manually and each is unique in the sense that it is addressed to a certain person and say there is content related to this person's activities or interests it should not be treated as a spam.

So far your messages (at least the three that I saw) where all the same, simply adding "Hi <username>" at the beginning of the PM doesn't make it any less spammy.

The feedback is in general positive and some people signed in to our platform. This means that my information has a value for them.

What about those that report your PMs? What have they gained from your message? Tongue

I do not ask for joining the platform but rather for opinion on the business model, the website etc. So as long as nobody is complaining and reporting me it is Ok.

Asking to join, asking for an opinion, "special" offers - doesn't matter. Don't PM them unless you have a very good reason to suspect whoever you're PM'ing is going to be interested.

At least there should be something on the user's account saying for instance "No spam!" or some other warning.

It works the other way around, if they specifically say "PM me" in their signature or personal text field or somewhere else, or otherwise indicate they're interested (e.g. by looking for advice which cloud services they could use), then it is OK to PM them.

Please note that some people not only do not mind my PM's but actually are doing what I am asking for.

Key word some.

And basically all I want is feedback on the thread not to join kryptologika.

a) slam the door

If you knock on my door I can decide whether I want to let you in or not. By PM'ing people you aren't giving them a choice.

Restricting me from communicating with other forum members in this way is limiting me as a Bitcoin enterpreneur, I cannot develop my services I cannot present my business model etc.

Others are doing fine without having to resort to spamming.

I think you should rather support such actions no matter if someone is reporting this as spam.

If we "supported such actions" no one would bother using PMs anymore because going to the Inbox would means having to sift through hundreds of messages from Bitcoin "entrepreneurs"  Roll Eyes

I know how sensitive this matter is and I am not going to flood this forum with spam as it would result in negative consequences for me and my business. I am just trying to find some balance.

Good
l3sny

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 03:16:01 PM

If I am sending PMs manually and each is unique in the sense that it is addressed to a certain person and say there is content related to this person's activities or interests it should not be treated as a spam.

So far your messages (at least the three that I saw) where all the same, simply adding "Hi <username>" at the beginning of the PM doesn't make it any less spammy.

I said "If". I am just thinking of the strategy aloud. The ones you saw were identical but some of them had some unique content, for exaple the ones to females;)
egghead123
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 11:29:49 AM

Too many rulemakers and moderators acting with impunity will leave this place like some forum of despotic tyranny.I have had a post deleted simply because I wished someone a happy birthday and even though it was their birthday the post was deemed off topic.Could not respond to complain because the guy who deleted it never sent a reply option.Getting a bit like china here.
digit
Legendary

Activity: 1428

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 04:30:40 AM

Is posting articles with a link and the first paragraph into press acceptable use of that sub forum?  I notice alot of people are doing this without adding any commentary/opinions of their own.  To me it seems like spam and unconstructive and only purpose is to get post counts up for signature campaigns or building up account to sell at a later date :\

Just want some clarification about that

CryptopiaTux Exchange
TiPS: BTC:1DigitwteXwFcRAaWpVDRp6eKqzC6y9tgm ■ ŁTC:LKMcEHoFWHAUoRscqW1cwjhLgFrk7MgCWU ■ BLK:BR4WG59FjQYiQNVR3Ftn9EYgs4kJE1YLUK ■ CBX:5hdeaXvJbqA1yxRVe5NuJtogyGAy2af9Rz
worldcup

Activity: 38

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 05:43:23 AM

True. Problem is, most of this forum is entertaining in one way or another, I'm only here three weeks (2 lurking) and I'm already trying to kick the habit Smiley

but at least it will not be so boring, i mean some entertaining is good!
arxwn

SatoshiHunter

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 07:53:58 PM

Hello I would really like to advertise our site properly but I should gain the privilege to do so.
How many posts or time does it require to have images enabled ?

The Best Slots Experience @ SatoshiHunt

Provably fair |  OnChain | Win up to 200x your bet
Muhammed Zakir

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2014, 12:39:19 PM

Hello I would really like to advertise our site properly but I should gain the privilege to do so.
How many posts or time does it require to have images enabled ?

You will need to reach Hero Member to get full privilege but you can't add an image to your signature. To become Hero Member, you will need 480 activity. Go here for more details. If I am right, it will take ~33 weeks for you to become Hero Member. Good Luck!

The activity number is determined in this way:
time = number of two-week periods in which you've posted since your registration
activity = min(time * 14, posts)

Activity is updated every hour.

The new membergroup limits work like this:
GroupRequirement
Brand New0 posts
Newbie(none)
Jr. Memberactivity: 30
Memberactivity: 60
Full Memberactivity: 120
Sr. Memberactivity: 240
Hero Memberactivity: 480

I'm not 100% sure that the membergroups work correctly. Tell me if you see any bugs.

~~MZ~~

BIT-Sharon

Activity: 266

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 01:04:07 AM

I‘d like this implemented.
little tiger

Activity: 36

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 02:50:45 AM

1. Free speech
5. No NSFW content

agree, it is free speech, why NO NSFW content?
so ironic...
EFS
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 1554

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 07:43:28 AM

1. Free speech
5. No NSFW content

agree, it is free speech, why NO NSFW content?
so ironic...

• Yes, you can say.
  • You can put NSFW content if you clearly warn people in subject. There are a lot of examples in this forum.

+