Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 02:37:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... 132 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC-e hacked ??  (Read 199686 times)
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 05:02:11 PM

Isn't xbtce.com owned by the same company that owns btc-e.com?

The xbtce.com site is online and functioning.

No, it's not

Yes it is.
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinTraveler

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 05:02:18 PM

Isn't xbtce.com owned by the same company that owns btc-e.com?

The xbtce.com site is online and functioning.

No, it's not

I remember seeing several links on btc-e.com to xbtce.com. In fact I think there was like a permanent link on the right sidebar of btc-e.com linking to xbtce.com

not.you
Legendary

Activity: 1726
Merit: 1018

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 05:02:35 PM

"The detainee was held on four counts of running an unlicensed money-transfer operation, conspiracy, money laundering in violation of 17 acts in the U.S. criminal code, and transactions in cash acquired through illicit means." - http://www.reuters.com/article/us-greece-russia-arrest-bitcoin-idUSKBN1AB27W

Well shit. The chances of them opening up the site with such allegations being investigated are really slim.

Why is the server actually down is the question.  If the authorities have somehow taken it down then it won't be back up but that's bullshit.  That's like seizing the entire stockmarket because some of the traders were using funds obtained from crime.  But worse still, I think it's a safe bet that every single exchange that exists has been used by criminals to launder coins they stole or got from darknet markets.  So can the government just go seize any exchange they want whenever they want?
Fuyuki_Wataru

Activity: 167

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 05:04:02 PM

Well shit. The chances of them opening up the site with such allegations being investigated are really slim.

If they don't open the exchange and allow users to withdrawal their coins their also fucked. It's a messy situation but in the end I think the majority of us users just want our coins back. And if BTC-E decides to run off, they can expect many users to come after them. So, just open the website and let us withdrawal.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬    delicia | delicia.io    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Decentralized Global Food Network | World's Only Solution to Food Wastage | Join Whitelist Now, Get 30% Bonus
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬    Whitepaper | Telegram | Medium | Twitter | FB | ANN    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
BitcoinTraveler

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 05:04:31 PM

"The detainee was held on four counts of running an unlicensed money-transfer operation, conspiracy, money laundering in violation of 17 acts in the U.S. criminal code, and transactions in cash acquired through illicit means." - http://www.reuters.com/article/us-greece-russia-arrest-bitcoin-idUSKBN1AB27W

Why is the server actually down is the question.  If the authorities have somehow taken it down then it won't be back up but that's bullshit.  That's like seizing the entire stockmarket because some of the traders were using funds obtained from crime.  But worse still, I think it's a safe bet that every single exchange that exists has been used by criminals to launder coins they stole or got from darknet markets.  So can the government just go seize any exchange they want whenever they want?

You're right. Think about all the illegally obtained money which goes into the NYSE and Nasdaq exchanges, the true number is probably in the trillions. Not to mention all the money the PPT pours into the stock exchanges to keep them propped up.

allstolennnnn

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 05:06:13 PM

cross linking this:

https://twitter.com/wizsecurity
sandan2002

Activity: 143

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 05:08:00 PM

i think they will come online after 1 august because they are afraid of bitcoin fork
most of the crypto that they have it are not in the cold storage?
Xpiro

Activity: 1

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 05:08:48 PM

I know there are apparently people who specialize in recovering lost wallets and tracking tumbled funds on the blockchain. There must be more people like me who had a lot, but not most of our money on BTC-e. Perhaps we can discuss how we might go about hiring people who might be able to help us. There must be people more knowledgeable than I am about this stuff out there who could at least help investigate where the money is and possibly who has control of it. I just happen to have a screen shot of my finances right before it shut down. People probably still have cookies on their computers from the last time they looked at their finance pages in case the user info can't be recovered.

Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but if anyone has any ideas, lets start brainstorming together.

I'm one of the people that happened to have most of my funds on there when it went down Sad.

Even if some people did use it for laundering BTC obtained from illegal sources, I'd say a vast majority of the users are legitimate. I'm not sure exactly what the allegations are, but it sounds like the arrest is due to money laundry. If they indeed had anything at all to do with helping with this, or if they are just arrested because the site itself is used for this purpose nobody knows. But I'd like to think the best course of action would be:

1) Wait for information about why it's shut down
2) Look up who made the arrest (local police, FBI, whatever it might be)
3) Issue some joint user statement about the funds being held captive, petition them to release all funds not connected to suspected accounts

Although it still feels like a long shot.

++++1

Count on me, I took a picture of the computer screen an hour before it fell, where is my data and all the LTC and NMC I have.... I hope!

oOK405Oo

Activity: 6

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 05:10:41 PM

The universe hates me and you.. all that time spent in the trollbox, all the buying and selling, all for nothing, got goxxed, and now i got btc-ed, fuck my life.
allstolennnnn

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 05:13:23 PM

The universe hates me and you.. all that time spent in the trollbox, all the buying and selling, all for nothing, got goxxed, and now i got btc-ed, fuck my life.
how much did you lost?
BitcoinTraveler

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 05:18:54 PM

I think the "95%" figure in this article is severely exaggerated...

BTC-E Is Responsible for Laundering 95% of all Ransomware Proceeds
http://www.newsbtc.com/2017/07/26/btc-e-responsible-laundering-95-ransomware-proceeds/

RickJamesBTC

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 05:19:10 PM

One would think that if you lost funds in gox you wouldn't trust them in the shadiest trading site around.
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 05:19:57 PM

http://www.newsbtc.com/2017/07/26/btc-e-responsible-laundering-95-ransomware-proceeds/

if you want fiat with no questions asked at all where else are you gonna go? localbitcoins might serve you up.

it now seems they're claiming btc-e was responsible for the gox hack too.

the drama never ends.
RickJamesBTC

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 05:20:01 PM

Total ransomware funds are not very much. It's  not a big deal but it sounds bad.
BitcoinTraveler

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 05:23:33 PM

if you want fiat with no questions asked at all where else are you gonna go? localbitcoins might serve you up.

the drama never ends.

Soon they'll claim it was btc-e behind the 2016 US election hacking...

allstolennnnn

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 05:25:51 PM

the drama never ends.

Soon they'll claim it was btc-e behind the 2016 US election hacking...
No, it was yobit
thenoblebot

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 05:27:30 PM

the drama never ends.

That is EXACTLY how the law enforcement will justify their actions against btc-e. While we (those affected) who lost our legitimate crypto will be made the scapegoats and stand to lose the most. The case is going to be exaggerated (it will have some legitimate points too), in order to justify the seizure of wallets. I just hope better sense prevails and any and every account not suspected of any wrong doing is left alone - but I suppose that is too much of wishful thinking when dealing with Govts.
RealKariverson

Activity: 233
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 05:27:50 PM

Putin is BTC-E and he used it to take over the world!
Zorgunfleck

Activity: 12

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 05:28:41 PM

I know there are apparently people who specialize in recovering lost wallets and tracking tumbled funds on the blockchain. There must be more people like me who had a lot, but not most of our money on BTC-e. Perhaps we can discuss how we might go about hiring people who might be able to help us. There must be people more knowledgeable than I am about this stuff out there who could at least help investigate where the money is and possibly who has control of it. I just happen to have a screen shot of my finances right before it shut down. People probably still have cookies on their computers from the last time they looked at their finance pages in case the user info can't be recovered.

Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but if anyone has any ideas, lets start brainstorming together.

Those money are gone. Bye!
You can brainstorm whatever you want how long you want you won't be able to get a satoshi.
It's either that his friends emptied the vault or the fed will get those coins.

Bitcoins aren't really very anonymous, you can make it time consuming to track you by tumbling, but not impossible if someone has the incentive to do so. I imagine it will be very hard for anyone to actually use those bitcoins without their identity being revealed at some point. At which point they will most assuredly be tortured by hired men to hand over their crypto. Whoever stole the money just made thousands of enemies, many of whom still have significant amounts of money and know how to access the dark web.

If they Fed's have it, that could be a different story, but if that's the case, why did someone take the time to replace the cloudflare page with an official looking "Down for maintenance" page? If they FBI took it down, they usually like to brag about it.
BitcoinTraveler

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 05:32:04 PM

Those money are gone. Bye!
You can brainstorm whatever you want how long you want you won't be able to get a satoshi.
It's either that his friends emptied the vault or the fed will get those coins.

Bitcoins aren't really very anonymous, you can make it time consuming to track you by tumbling, but not impossible if someone has the incentive to do so. I imagine it will be very hard for anyone to actually use those bitcoins without their identity being revealed at some point. At which point they will most assuredly be tortured by hired men to hand over their crypto. Whoever stole the money just made thousands of enemies, many of whom still have significant amounts of money and know how to access the dark web.

If they Fed's have it, that could be a different story, but if that's the case, why did someone take the time to replace the cloudflare page with an official looking "Down for maintenance" page? If they FBI took it down, they usually like to brag about it.

I think you're right. If the US government got its hands on the site then we'd see a placholder page something like this:

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-055225b0df262b4fc2d51f21a577e1a2

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... 132 »
  Print  

Jump to: