Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 09:19:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Aug 1 summary  (Read 96452 times)
Sempakbolong

Activity: 312
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2017, 02:46:19 PM

thanks for your informatin sir .
all is clear  Grin Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
2double0
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1105

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 02:56:25 PM

Can someone help me out with something?
I had my bitcoins at a site before and I waited for BCash to come into existence after which I was planning to redeem my Bitcoins to my wallet which I did.
How may I now claim BCash? Am I eligible to get them or was it a perk for those who had their bitcoins at exchanges already?
cyberpitstop

Activity: 370

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 02:58:01 PM

I was lost right HERE >2. Create a totally new logical wallet with a new mnemonic, etc. Just creating new addresses is not sufficient: the new wallet needs to be completely separate from the old one. The new wallet's private keys should be under your personal control just in case your transaction is replayed or something else goes wrong. Make sure you have backups of the new wallet.
Is this a new BTC wallet or new BCH wallet?HuhHuhHuh
Then> 3. Send all of the BTC in your old wallet to your new wallet
Is that new BTC wallet or New BCH
chixka000

Activity: 910
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 03:07:55 PM

Bitcoin split may still happen so it means that it really didnt happen am i right? I just really dont get it if it fails whats the purpose of creating an altcoin. Tho i am still glad that btc is doing fine and that is more important
ElliottHe

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 03:08:13 PM

huhuh, as what I said before 1st August, everything will be normal after that day, and now it looks like everything is normal except for there is one more alt coin. But I did not really see that BCC will worth so much.

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project Best privacy crypto-market! █▆▅▃▂    Own Your Privacy! ───────────────── WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ─────────────────   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June][Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet Windows  |  macOS  |  Linux
2double0
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1105

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 03:08:48 PM

I was lost right HERE >2. Create a totally new logical wallet with a new mnemonic, etc. Just creating new addresses is not sufficient: the new wallet needs to be completely separate from the old one. The new wallet's private keys should be under your personal control just in case your transaction is replayed or something else goes wrong. Make sure you have backups of the new wallet.
Is this a new BTC wallet or new BCH wallet?HuhHuhHuh
Then> 3. Send all of the BTC in your old wallet to your new wallet
Is that new BTC wallet or New BCH

That was said for the BTC wallet itself. According to A. Chow's theory, if you send your BTC to a BCH wallet, you will not receive any BCH but if you import that key in your wallet, you or someone you sent your coins to, will see that BTC amount in your/their wallet.
Moondreams

Activity: 347

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 03:12:12 PM

Sir Lauda..a question...You said:

..There is no reason to rush claiming anyways...

So why theymos writes:

Executive summary

...If you take no particular action and continue using Bitcoin as normal, then your BCH is likely (but not guaranteed) to remain associated with the current private keys due to BCH's pseudo-replay-protection; you could therefore maybe claim your BCH later on if you want....

BCH is likely (but not guaranteed) ?!? Huh
Could you clarify this point?thk
incobart

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 03:14:34 PM

hi, any help please ..

I moved my btc into electrum wallet before the fork.

today I send my BTC out of it to my exchange,  it arrived.

I made an electroncach wallet on a different computer (malware virusfree)
I choose server bcc   478595
I export the private keys from my elctrum wallet
i choose stand alone wallet,  and import private keys.
a window open to imort them, i pate the 3 private keys from the 3 addresses I used in electrum
(at least I think, they where in green if I looked the details of my history transactions)
result 0 bcc
then I import the whole list (addresses and private keys)
result
0bcc
should be 13
What can I do, what did I do wrong pls

Thanks
aesma

Activity: 2380
Merit: 916

fly or die

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 03:17:54 PM

Noob here. Just a week into this, so pardon my hard ignorance. I'm learning as fast as I can.

I had half my coins on Poloniex (now I see what a mistake that was). If I withdraw, and then do the split using the guide here, will I get the BCH?

No. The BCH are on poloniex's wallet.

Can someone help me out with something?
I had my bitcoins at a site before and I waited for BCash to come into existence after which I was planning to redeem my Bitcoins to my wallet which I did.
How may I now claim BCash? Am I eligible to get them or was it a perk for those who had their bitcoins at exchanges already?

The BCH are on the "site" you're talking about. Either they will give you the corresponding BCH, or you're screwed.
kpcian

Activity: 826
Merit: 529

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 03:25:32 PM

this is a very important post which can reduce the doubt and negative impression about Bitcoin. previously I said that August 1 may not hamper any basic facilities of Bitcoin. most of the people got afraid of any negative situation that all are same and Bitcoin is going its own way. so keep calm and stay with Bitcoin like before.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2017, 03:29:14 PM

So why theymos writes:

Executive summary

...If you take no particular action and continue using Bitcoin as normal, then your BCH is likely (but not guaranteed) to remain associated with the current private keys due to BCH's pseudo-replay-protection; you could therefore maybe claim your BCH later on if you want....

Think of it this way: You have 1 BTC and 1 BCH. You do not do anything with the BCH. You pay someone else 1 BTC to address Y (not owned by you). If BCH does not have adequate replay protection, someone could broadcast your BTC (to Y address) transaction on the BCH network, rendering your BCH also gone.

Whether they have adequate replay protection is yet to be seen.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
robertbruce

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

AWorldWideWebOfReasons AWorldWideWebOfResults

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 03:36:18 PM

Thank you for this guide.  I definitely am happy that I moved most of my coins to a spot where I will have access to bitcoin cash, as it seems we were basically given free money (if this blockchain keeps on truckin on)...

I am itching to get some bitcoin cash and just transact a little bit, but I think I am going to wait for the dust to settle a bit and then start splitting and whatnot.  It makes me nervous moving around all the coins and stuff.  I know it shouldn't but doing big transactions still make my heart race sometimes when I'm worried I've pasted the address incorrectly or something like that.

don't worry kiethers, i've got a tiny silly piddly amount and im freaking every time i transact to...

A World Wide Web Of Reasons
A World Wide Web Of Results
Moondreams

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 03:42:52 PM

So why theymos writes:

Executive summary

Think of it this way: You have 1 BTC and 1 BCH. You do not do anything with the BCH. You pay someone else 1 BTC to address Y (not owned by you). If BCH does not have adequate replay protection, someone could broadcast your BTC (to Y address) transaction on the BCH network, rendering your BCH also gone.

..So if you do not use any of the two currencies (BTC and BCH), would I be safe?My plan is to keep both coins and see what happens
Chasoid

Activity: 532

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 03:48:11 PM

Thanks for the update! I calmed down a bit like many others.

Cryptoneer

Activity: 116
Merit: 7

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2017, 03:52:46 PM

I can use the privkey of other addresses in my old wallet right? Only the address with all the coins is to be left alone after I import it into BCH wallet. Or are all those keys / addresses subject of risks?

Så kan det gå, om CAPS LOCK är PÅ!
incobart

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 04:02:51 PM

hi, any help please ..

I moved my btc into electrum wallet before the fork.

today I send my BTC out of it to my exchange,  it arrived.

I made an electroncach wallet on a different computer (malware virusfree)
I choose server bcc   478595
I export the private keys from my elctrum wallet
i choose stand alone wallet,  and import private keys.
a window open to import them, i paste the 3 private keys from the 3 addresses I used in electrum
(at least I think, they where in green if I looked the details of my history transactions)
result 0 bcc
then I import the whole list (addresses and private keys)
result
0bcc
should be 13
What can I do, what did I do wrong pls

Thanks

To help others, I found the solution ..
don't need to use private keys,  make a electroncash wallet  choose your bcc server, standalone wallet AND THEN choose wallet  that have SEED
window open,  fill in your seed ( maybe also your F2A auth)  and  there it was .. my wallet but now with BCC   Cheesy
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 04:11:34 PM

Has anyone here successfully managed to export their private keys from blockchain.info to some other web wallet/software wallet and use both coins?
I am a bit scared to do so after reading about possible issues with double spending/replay protection - and suppose I won't use my BTC until August 10 anyway.
Any prediction about future BCC price, the price will go drastically down or it will remain relatively stable in the future (around ~$400)?
mmgen-py

Activity: 110
Merit: 26

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2017, 04:12:04 PM

Post-HF transactions on the BCH chain use a different sighash algorithm (it's adapted from BIP143) to compute the transaction hash that the spender of the output signs. In other words, the transaction hash of a post-fork BCH transaction prevout is completely different data than the transaction hash of its corresponding prevout on the BTC chain. The signature is signing different data on each chain, so each chain's signature is invalid on the other, making transaction replay impossible.

The spec for the replay protection is in doc/abc/replay-protected-sighash.md and the relevant function is SignatureHash() in the file script/interpreter.cpp. It's useful to compare with the same file in the Core repository to see what changes were made.

How to review the Bitcoin ABC code:

git clone https://github.com/Bitcoin-ABC/bitcoin-abc
    cd bitcoin-abc
    git diff --word-diff=color 964a185

(Commit 964a185 was the last commit before the ABC repository forked from Core)
mmgen-py

Activity: 110
Merit: 26

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2017, 04:19:59 PM

Has anyone here successfully managed to export their private keys from blockchain.info to some other web wallet/software wallet and use both coins?
I am a bit scared to do so after reading about possible issues with double spending/replay protection - and suppose I won't use my BTC until August 10 anyway.
Any prediction about future BCC price, the price will go drastically down or it will remain relatively stable in the future (around ~$400)?

If you want to be truly secure, it's best not to import private keys into a network-connected wallet, period. The best solution is to hold your keys and and sign transactions offline.

I'm using both coins successfully by following that strategy and running two full nodes, a Bitcoin Core node and a Bitcoin ABC node. Since the online ABC node has no access to my keys, it can't steal them. It could potentially do other nasty things, like sending them to the wrong address, but this would be a stunningly sophisticated attack to pull off in an offline-signing setup.  ABC is an open source project that forked from Core in April.  The code's there on Github if you want to examine it (see above post).  I've reviewed a good part of it and haven't noticed anything suspicious so far, other than a lot of seemingly unnecessary formatting changes which rather complicate the code review process.
Moondreams

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 04:22:11 PM

If you want to be truly secure, it's best not to import private keys into a network-connected wallet, period. The best solution is to hold your keys and and sign transactions offline.

I'm using both coins successfully by following that strategy and running two full nodes, a Bitcoin Core node and a Bitcoin ABC node. Since the online ABC node has no access to my keys, it can't steal them.

..good advice!!
thk
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  

Jump to: