Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 07:59:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Aug 1 summary  (Read 96452 times)
MichaelBliss

Activity: 526
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 10:16:58 PM

I just moved all my btc from my  blockchain.info wallet from 2013 elsewhere, but when I enter the 12 recovery words from blockchain.info into electron cash, as I did successfully with my electrum wallet before, it shows a blanance of 0 bcc.  What am I doing wrong?
are you sure the address displayed in electoncash is same as your bitcoin address from which you sent the bitcoins to another account?Did you wait till the electron cash synced?If you can then try exporting your private key from blockchain since it's the old account you should have an option to export the private key and then enter that in electron cash and you will see bcc.if there is no option to export private key then you're screwed.contact blockchain support in that case

Thanks, I tried restoring with the 12 keywords first, no dice..0 bcc balance. I also tried sweeping the private key, didn't work.. then I finally found my answer after some google searching, blockchain.info gives you a compressed private key, had to uncompress it first, then entered that key into electron cash and my bcc was there.  Took a while to figure this out.

I would be interested in seeing this information about uncompressing private keys.  Do you have a link?  Anyone?  Because from my post, above, it appears that I may have gone through a process that is longer than necessary, when I could have just attempted to obtain an uncompressed private key (or convert my supposedly compressed private key to an uncompressed one, if that is the right way to describe the process?).

Here's one tool: https://www.bitaddress.org/    under "wallet details"...
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 10436

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 10:23:27 PM

I just moved all my btc from my  blockchain.info wallet from 2013 elsewhere, but when I enter the 12 recovery words from blockchain.info into electron cash, as I did successfully with my electrum wallet before, it shows a blanance of 0 bcc.  What am I doing wrong?
are you sure the address displayed in electoncash is same as your bitcoin address from which you sent the bitcoins to another account?Did you wait till the electron cash synced?If you can then try exporting your private key from blockchain since it's the old account you should have an option to export the private key and then enter that in electron cash and you will see bcc.if there is no option to export private key then you're screwed.contact blockchain support in that case

Thanks, I tried restoring with the 12 keywords first, no dice..0 bcc balance. I also tried sweeping the private key, didn't work.. then I finally found my answer after some google searching, blockchain.info gives you a compressed private key, had to uncompress it first, then entered that key into electron cash and my bcc was there.  Took a while to figure this out.

I would be interested in seeing this information about uncompressing private keys.  Do you have a link?  Anyone?  Because from my post, above, it appears that I may have gone through a process that is longer than necessary, when I could have just attempted to obtain an uncompressed private key (or convert my supposedly compressed private key to an uncompressed one, if that is the right way to describe the process?).

Here's one tool: https://www.bitaddress.org/    under "wallet details"...

Thank you.  That may have saved me a lot of work, and it seems a bit strange that no support from Blockchain.info, nor ledger nor trezor were able to point that out to me.

Maybe gives additional support to the wild, wild west of bitcoin and the need to attempt to figure out some things on your own - or at least to increase knowledge about some of the underlying technicals.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
MichaelBliss

Activity: 526
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 12:12:02 AM

Thank you.  That may have saved me a lot of work, and it seems a bit strange that no support from Blockchain.info, nor ledger nor trezor were able to point that out to me.

Maybe gives additional support to the wild, wild west of bitcoin and the need to attempt to figure out some things on your own - or at least to increase knowledge about some of the underlying technicals.

You're welcome, and I know what you mean since I spent like 6 hours figuring that out.   Maybe it'll help someone else reading this too.  Tips are quite welcome btw: 1SD2BGmaob83dvmy42pKKw4W81ttfhKqQ   (btc)  Tongue
RoomBot
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1123

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 02:56:52 AM

spe1 bitcoin 5000now, who knows when it will fall?

Say, what?  Huh
Somz1

Activity: 420
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 03:59:07 AM

It will keep growing until November until the possible fork
Regardless from December you can expect it to reach the moon
xbugitox

Activity: 107
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 07:01:19 AM

It will keep growing until November until the possible fork
Regardless from December you can expect it to reach the moon

Hopefully it would grow more. It's really impressive that bitcoin is growing this fast.
Halcyon Days

Activity: 238
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 09:05:54 PM

After the upcoming Seqwit2x hard fork in November, will there be a new altcoin similar to Bitcoin Cash again?

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
dream_maker82

Activity: 322
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 07:02:24 AM

Thanks were useful to read and learn from this, something new. True, I think everyone knows that putting private keys of the current btc addresses in the bitcoin-wallet is not only not safe, but can lead to collapse. Like imports in principle.

RoomBot
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 12:22:22 AM

Note to Newbies:

You are embarrassing yourselves!
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2017, 06:10:47 AM

After the upcoming Seqwit2x hard fork in November, will there be a new altcoin similar to Bitcoin Cash again?
Altcoin, yes. Similar, not really. Segwit2x does not have replay nor wipe-out protection (actually, it has opt-in replay protection but that is useless). The reason for this is that Jeff Garzik is a very malicious individual who has been bought by the corporations. Stay away from him, Bitpay, Bitmain and similar.

True, I think everyone knows that putting private keys of the current btc addresses in the bitcoin-wallet is not only not safe, but can lead to collapse. Like imports in principle.
Roll Eyes

Note to Newbies:

You are embarrassing yourselves!
No kidding. Some of these questions are equal to an adult asking how much is 2+2.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
RoomBot
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 06:47:51 AM

You're very kind to supply such good info & advice, thanks.

Don't let the n00bs keep you away.

They need you more than ever. #BitcoinCash is gonna create a lot more confusion.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2068349.msg20648531#msg20648531   Cheesy
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 08:51:08 AM

Altcoin, yes. Similar, not really. Segwit2x does not have replay nor wipe-out protection (actually, it has opt-in replay protection but that is useless). The reason for this is that Jeff Garzik is a very malicious individual who has been bought by the corporations. Stay away from him, Bitpay, Bitmain and similar.

What does that mean in practical terms?  Are we going to get our segwit2x coins to sell for $100 per coin?  hahahaha  Cheesy

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2017, 09:13:31 AM

What does that mean in practical terms?  Are we going to get our segwit2x coins to sell for $100 per coin?  hahahaha  Cheesy
That means that a transaction created on the Bitcoin network can be broadcasted onto the Segwit2x altcoin network and vice versa. Ergo they are trying to cause maximum disruption.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 10:01:27 AM

What does that mean in practical terms?  Are we going to get our segwit2x coins to sell for $100 per coin?  hahahaha  Cheesy
That means that a transaction created on the Bitcoin network can be broadcasted onto the Segwit2x altcoin network and vice versa. Ergo they are trying to cause maximum disruption.

O.k... so the initial plan for segwit2x through the NYA (new york agreement) kind of flopped because the vast majority of the bitcoin community (absent big blocker nutjob whiners) were interested in activating segwit, but the bitcoin community was not too excited about the 2x portion of that NYA?

Since it became quite clear that segwit was going to activate by itself, and become very powerful by itself, therefore, they decided to try their luck at a renegade bcash hardfork with about 2 weeks notice and to attempt to see whether they could confuse folks into supporting that bcash nonsense (and confuse people into thinking that bcash was either superior to bitcoin or at least some kind of thing that was close to equivalent.

And even that bcash fork did not result in any kind of bitcoin price crash beyond maybe around $200 bucks or so and a bit of hesitation in the launch of the segwit rocket, so now these big blocker nutjobs want to engage in a one-upsmanship attack on bitcoin that seems likely to cause confusion about what are legitimate bitcoin transactions?

In the meantime,  the core plan to ban segwit2x software in August 2018 is not going to be soon enough - and then what would be the remedy to attempt to stifle this malicious attack code involving segwit2x and the nutjob bigblockers in order to lessen possible confusion and disruption to the real deal bitcoin?  

Is there a plan yet?  

From what you are saying it doesn't appear that, at this time, we are going to be issued any kind of clear and unambigous $100 segwit2x coins that are really spendable in any kind of "clean" way?

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2017, 10:10:30 AM

O.k... so their initial plan for segwit2x kind of flopped because the vast majority of the bitcoin community (absent big blocker nutjob whiners) were interested in activated segwit, but they were not too excited about the 2x portion of that, so since segwit by itself was going to be very powerful by itself, they decided to try their luck at a renegade bcash hardfork with about 2 weeks notice and to attempt to see whether they could confuse folks into supporting that nonsense -
Correct. The hard fork part of Segwit2x does not even have 1% community support. Ergo, I tell everyone to stay away from Garzik, Bitpay, Jihan and run a Bitcoin Core full node.

and even that did not result in any kind of bitcoin price crash beyond a couple of bucks, so now they want to engage in a one-upsmanship attack that seems likely to cause confusion about what are legitimate bitcoin transactions -
To paraphrase Garzik's own words, "the idea is not to create an altcoin, but to become Bitcoin". Roll Eyes

so the core plan to ban segwit2x software in August 2018 is not going to be soon enough - and then what would be the remedy to attempt to address this malicious attack code involving segwit2x in order to lessen possible confusion and disruption? 
Bitcoin Core 0.15.0 will disconnect service bits that are not used / block Segwit2x attack nodes. Any hard fork without consensus is essentially that, an attack. Bitcoin Core will not add replay protection as that would not make sense, i.e. we'd have to keep adding one-sided protection every time someone tried to do this (emphasis on *one-way* replay protection).

Is there a plan yet? 
Plan for what?

From what you are saying it doesn't appear (at this time) that we are going to be issued $100 segwit2x coins that are really spendable in any kind of "clean" way?
Correct. Well, technically you could boot both wallets and try sending transactions simultaneously but even that could cause trouble. Without replay protection, I will not be attempting to dump any Segwit2x shitcoin.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 10:30:25 AM

O.k... so their initial plan for segwit2x kind of flopped because the vast majority of the bitcoin community (absent big blocker nutjob whiners) were interested in activated segwit, but they were not too excited about the 2x portion of that, so since segwit by itself was going to be very powerful by itself, they decided to try their luck at a renegade bcash hardfork with about 2 weeks notice and to attempt to see whether they could confuse folks into supporting that nonsense -
Correct. The hard fork part of Segwit2x does not even have 1% community support. Ergo, I tell everyone to stay away from Garzik, Bitpay, Jihan and run a Bitcoin Core full node.

and even that did not result in any kind of bitcoin price crash beyond a couple of bucks, so now they want to engage in a one-upsmanship attack that seems likely to cause confusion about what are legitimate bitcoin transactions -
To paraphrase Garzik's own words, "the idea is not to create an altcoin, but to become Bitcoin". Roll Eyes

so the core plan to ban segwit2x software in August 2018 is not going to be soon enough - and then what would be the remedy to attempt to address this malicious attack code involving segwit2x in order to lessen possible confusion and disruption? 
Bitcoin Core 0.15.0 will disconnect service bits that are not used / block Segwit2x attack nodes. Any hard fork without consensus is essentially that, an attack. Bitcoin Core will not add replay protection as that would not make sense, i.e. we'd have to keep adding one-sided protection every time someone tried to do this (emphasis on *one-way* replay protection).

Is there a plan yet? 
Plan for what?

From what you are saying it doesn't appear (at this time) that we are going to be issued $100 segwit2x coins that are really spendable in any kind of "clean" way?
Correct. Well, technically you could boot both wallets and try sending transactions simultaneously but even that could cause trouble. Without replay protection, I will not be attempting to dump any Segwit2x shitcoin.

I do understand the concept that the attackers keep doubling down because they want to keep attempting to get their way (like you said to become bitcoin), but of course they should not want to kill the golden goose - even though that may be the goal of some of the persons (entities) financing them and lending them rhetorical points.

Hopefully these matters are going to become more clear in the coming months, but I would not put it past these nutjobs to attempt to employ their plan earlier than previously anticipated in order to attempt to catch others in a less prepared state, and maybe I dont understand well enough because I am not sure about the prevention plan - except maybe the whole bitcoin network and transactions don't go through until their is some clarity that they are not going to be replayed?

I still don't feel like I understand, but maybe some of these matters will become more clear, because the no replay protection of segwit2x ... does seem to be a more frequent talking point in recent weeks... and maybe somewhere down the line dynamic (threat) is going to better sink in for my thinking.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2017, 02:42:24 PM

I do understand the concept that the attackers keep doubling down because they want to keep attempting to get their way (like you said to become bitcoin), but of course they should not want to kill the golden goose - even though that may be the goal of some of the persons (entities) financing them and lending them rhetorical points.
What they should be doing is something which greatly differs from what they are doing. However, you can't know what the motivations of the entities who sponsor them are. Garzik, Bitmain and Ver are mere pawns at best.

Hopefully these matters are going to become more clear in the coming months, but I would not put it past these nutjobs to attempt to employ their plan earlier than previously anticipated in order to attempt to catch others in a less prepared state, and maybe I dont understand well enough because I am not sure about the prevention plan - except maybe the whole bitcoin network and transactions don't go through until their is some clarity that they are not going to be replayed?
You can safely transact on the Bitcoin Network, it is just likely that your Segwitx2 coins could be replayed (thus you'd lose access to them). Maybe their opt-in replay protection works well enough to prevent this from happening, at least for the experienced user base.

I still don't feel like I understand, but maybe some of these matters will become more clear, because the no replay protection of segwit2x ... does seem to be a more frequent talking point in recent weeks... and maybe somewhere down the line dynamic (threat) is going to better sink in for my thinking.
One or multiple of the following is the sign of an attack disguised as a hard fork ("upgrade"): 1) No community consensus / community ignored. 2) No replay protection. 3) No wipeout protection. 4) Same address prefixes as Bitcoin.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
venusbits

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 03:41:01 PM

Yeah, I honestly expected a lot more to happen.

Anyway, the BCH split ended up being advantageous.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 02:33:37 AM

What they should be doing is something which greatly differs from what they are doing. However, you can't know what the motivations of the entities who sponsor them are. Garzik, Bitmain and Ver are mere pawns at best.

You can safely transact on the Bitcoin Network, it is just likely that your Segwitx2 coins could be replayed (thus you'd lose access to them). Maybe their opt-in replay protection works well enough to prevent this from happening, at least for the experienced user base.

One or multiple of the following is the sign of an attack disguised as a hard fork ("upgrade"): 1) No community consensus / community ignored. 2) No replay protection. 3) No wipeout protection. 4) Same address prefixes as Bitcoin.

Thanks Lauda.  This second response from you makes me feel a little more confident that we are not entering into a doom and gloom scenario (as I felt from your first response).

Seems like the nutjob BIG blockers will employ their attempt at a segwit2x take-over fork (unless they snap into their senses, which does not seem too likely at the moment) and then the large majority of the bitcoin community will likely just ignore them and then the more technically advanced of the folks will figure out way to cash out their $100 segwit2x coins - even if it takes 50 confirmations, rather than 12... and then we (the real bitcoin) prepare for the next hardfork or whatever other desperate attempts at nonsense bitcoin network attacks the nutjobs decide to propagate.

JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 03:12:37 AM

Yeah, I honestly expected a lot more to happen.

Anyway, the BCH split ended up being advantageous.

Sure, a lot of holders of bitcoin ended up advantaging financially from BCH - yet I doubt that it was really good or necessary, and there are some folks who are not technically sophisticated enough to figure out how to cash out their BCH or will they be advantaged when Coinbase finally releases coins to them in January 2018?

The BCH split is what it is and end up with some people profiting, but I still would not characterize it as a good thing for bitcoin as a whole... even though it may prepare core for some of these kinds of attacks and it may prepare some of the bitcoin community, too, in order to identify these attacks for what they are.. perhaps?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 »
  Print  

Jump to: