Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:03:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will digital currency ever replace paper money?
Yes - 206 (51.6%)
No - 193 (48.4%)
Total Voters: 399

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 81
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think digital currency will ever replace paper money?  (Read 11172 times)
lazygin001 (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 10:24:42 AM

Personally I say yes as our society becomes increasingly dependent upon technology, digital currency will become a more popular means of paying for different things and it is more effective and instant. I haven't used much physical money in the past 8 years and I rarely had any problems with that.

What do you guys think? Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
noooze

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 10:30:45 AM

Just look at denmark and the app MobilePay

It´s connected to your creditcard and you can pay anywhere with it, with your mobilephone. Even the homeless now have a sign with their code or phonenumber for mobilepay, as people almost never have coins anymore.

Yes I think we will see a huge portion of cash been digital.

Thats why I have started buying silver, and when I earn more money, I'll also have physical gold - It´s fun and interesting with digital cash, but I do fear something unforseen act.

Let´s just take the news these days: North Korea bombs Japan in a few years from now - China and north korea employs all their hackers to disprut the west, and a war begins.
If we are unlucky and most of our cash is in a centralized system, it might very well get frozen.

Well - I guess it's always good to putt your eggs in different baskets Smiley
Josepht

Activity: 1008
Merit: 515

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2017, 10:31:13 AM

Yes, for sure digital currency will play a major role in the future. Here in the Netherlands, everyone is used to pay with their debit card. I even think it's used more then cash.

However, paper money will not be gone for a long time, since there are always people around who don't want to adapt to new things.

When digital currency is more a usual thing, I don't think it's gonna be bitcoin. The fees are simply too high to be adopted worldwide.
manchester93

Activity: 251
Merit: 257

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 10:32:04 AM

Personally I say yes as our society becomes increasingly dependent upon technology, digital currency will become a more popular means of paying for different things and it is more effective and instant. I haven't used much physical money in the past 8 years and I rarely had any problems with that.

Do you include digital fiat money (like USD) under digital currencies? Because I do think we are heading towards a cashless society. I very rarely use cash myself. Countries like Sweden have already made quite a lot of progress on that front.

But many bitcoiners also believe that BTC and other cryptocurrencies will replace fiat money. I have a hard time believing that. As long as governments exist, they will demand that their fiat money be accepted.
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 10:33:32 AM

Really possible, but in my opinion this is a lot more possible when talking about countries like The United States, Australia, and other first world countries. I don't see this happening to 3rd world countries or even poorer countries due to poverty; the poor crowd couldn't even afford food and basic commodities, what more a mobile device to transact bitcoin with? My guess is that both fiat money and cryptocurrency will both be used. If digital currency would replace  fiat money I don't see it happening in this lifetime.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
aardvark15

Activity: 994
Merit: 510

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 10:37:09 AM

I do think that eventually all money will be electronic. It's getting there already with payment methods like credit cards, debit cards, PayPal, etc. Most spending I do is with a credit card, then I use my bank's billpay system to make payments on the credit cards. So I don't use cash unless it's a small purchase.

I think everyone will gradually move away from cash to some kind of digital fiat. It's hard to say what that will look like in the future, but I think it will happen.
bitorama

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 10:38:18 AM

I don't think so, we will have both physical and digital currency in the future but not a replacement
Yuhee

Activity: 546
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 10:41:46 AM

Really possible, but in my opinion this is a lot more possible when talking about countries like The United States, Australia, and other first world countries. I don't see this happening to 3rd world countries or even poorer countries due to poverty; the poor crowd couldn't even afford food and basic commodities, what more a mobile device to transact bitcoin with? My guess is that both fiat money and cryptocurrency will both be used. If digital currency would replace  fiat money I don't see it happening in this lifetime.

And this digital currency just represent something services that they provide that could be used to pay or to use there services. It does not really classified as currency but rather a token. I know token is different from coin but my point is that its just something you give so that you could sell it to bigger currencies like that. But maybe in time there will be banks who would accept kinds of digital currency and not just btc.
haroldtee

Activity: 644
Merit: 299

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 10:47:46 AM

We may end up running into a cashless society anyway, which is already happening in most places but I don't see how bitcoin or as digital as everything gets, will replace fiat anytime soon. I don't know how the jet age will cut across globally but you should know not everyone is digitally oriented. You may say old physical oriented folks will end up leaving our jet age one day, sure! After all, cowrie was once used until it faded off when paper currencies were introduced so we can never really say if in the future, digital currencies will take over.
lazygin001 (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 11:01:00 AM

Just look at denmark and the app MobilePay

It´s connected to your creditcard and you can pay anywhere with it, with your mobilephone. Even the homeless now have a sign with their code or phonenumber for mobilepay, as people almost never have coins anymore.

Yes I think we will see a huge portion of cash been digital.

Thats why I have started buying silver, and when I earn more money, I'll also have physical gold - It´s fun and interesting with digital cash, but I do fear something unforseen act.

Let´s just take the news these days: North Korea bombs Japan in a few years from now - China and north korea employs all their hackers to disprut the west, and a war begins.
If we are unlucky and most of our cash is in a centralized system, it might very well get frozen.

Well - I guess it's always good to putt your eggs in different baskets Smiley

Interesting, never knew the homeless now use mobilepay for money.

I too fear that when wars come by, you won't be able to have control over your money if it is not in your hand.
lazygin001 (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 11:17:03 AM

Yes, for sure digital currency will play a major role in the future. Here in the Netherlands, everyone is used to pay with their debit card. I even think it's used more then cash.

However, paper money will not be gone for a long time, since there are always people around who don't want to adapt to new things.

When digital currency is more a usual thing, I don't think it's gonna be bitcoin. The fees are simply too high to be adopted worldwide.

I agree, it will probably be another currency that will be the dollar when digital currency become mainstream.
c-none

Activity: 210

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 11:20:57 AM

One day, it will be real yes.

World will have only one currency and it will be digital money.
Authorize

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 11:27:08 AM

I mean paper money is already being slowly replaced with cards. It's a lot easier and safer.

Anyone who gives me coins is already in my bad books
janedt

Activity: 430

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 11:28:14 AM

Yes it's possible, i'm sure we will use digital currency in the future. When our technology become more digital, the money will following the technology. Digital money will become the next paper money and no one will use paper money in the future. Well, maybe in the next 10-20 years we can feel it.
lazygin001 (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 11:48:16 AM

Do you include digital fiat money (like USD) under digital currencies? Because I do think we are heading towards a cashless society. I very rarely use cash myself. Countries like Sweden have already made quite a lot of progress on that front.

But many bitcoiners also believe that BTC and other cryptocurrencies will replace fiat money. I have a hard time believing that. As long as governments exist, they will demand that their fiat money be accepted.

No I was not referring to fiat money, but I do get your point on governments controlling it. Even if it does eventually extinguish it won't be anytime soon.
MetaSk

Activity: 210

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 11:50:24 AM

Just as the paper money replaced leather, so will crypto replace paper.
But I don't think that current currencies will replace it.

When the time comes, governments will probably want to have their own official cryptos...

But who knows - we'll see what will happen
Juggy777

Activity: 2646
Merit: 686

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 11:50:41 AM

Its a difficult question if one sees it, there some who have never used digital money at all, and for them it's a violation of their privacy if they are forced to use it. Then there are those who prefer to use digital cash, one it's easy to carry it and use it, no need to carry the weight of it. I don't think that digital currency can ever end paper money, cause people get paper money far more easily then digital money, also lots of frauds happen due to cards. Personally I prefer to use both and it's difficult to see a world where only one of them exist. Maybe one of them could be less but all together over no.
TIDOVEE

Activity: 1246
Merit: 255

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 11:55:34 AM

I don't think digital currency will replace Fiat, it may later be dominant but fiat will still remain, not everyone can work with cryptocurrent, not everyone will be educated and not every one will be able to operate this technological devices.
tiggytomb
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 11:55:53 AM

I don't think we will ever lose physical cash but it will definitely diminish and digital will take the majority share.  We are already mostly using digital money, even the money in our banks is all digital and when we pay using our cards it is digital, 
Myself I use physical cash far less than I did 5 years ago.
taliwang

Activity: 658

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 12:02:00 PM

I say that digital currency will not be possible to replace paper money. Because not everyone can use digital currency. thanks
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 81
  Print  

Jump to: