Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 12:08:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Avalon mining rig clones thread from bitmine.ch (NOW SHIPPING)  (Read 58554 times)
mem

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 09:41:43 AM

Why do you produce in Italy and not in Switzerland at Escatec or Variosystems?

Mob connections Tongue

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gotah

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

bitcoin is the future

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2013, 10:17:17 AM
Last edit: May 31, 2013, 02:15:26 PM by gotah

because the business relationship with them is stronger, we were already working with them from several years

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
Free Distribution! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623937
Bwincoin - 100% Free POS. B5LcTXcUmycXsiSPk5qJWDp4ZxMryxjUMx
spiccioli
Legendary

Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003

nec sine labore

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 12:18:21 PM

because the business relationship with them is stronger, we was already working

In Italy?

I'm from Italy... an Avalon clone made in Italy... go figure!

Smiley

spiccioli
spiccioli
Legendary

Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003

nec sine labore

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 01:45:09 PM

By the way,

will you be able to produce spare parts for existing avalons? Control boards, modules so that three modules ones can be converted into four modules and so on?

There could be a market for them.

spiccioli
Kuma

Activity: 107

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 10:17:52 PM

By the way,

will you be able to produce spare parts for existing avalons? Control boards, modules so that three modules ones can be converted into four modules and so on?

There could be a market for them.

spiccioli

I think they promised the modules should be available, but I hope cables and other stuff will be offered as well.
Kj1

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 10:44:30 AM

blog update
http://bitmine.ch/?p=272

one4many, have you visited?

giorgiomassa (OP)

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 10:47:32 AM

Just a sneak preview of the first prototype boards that came in yesterday to our labs along with all the needed components, just in time to assemble them next week  Wink

giorgiomassa (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 10:49:48 AM

Due to the extremely high demand, on Monday the 3th of June at about 20:00 CET we will open the sales for batch #2 units of our Avalon clone products, along with a few very interesting news.

The Avalon clone will be available in 4 different versions:

* Basic system, that means just the control unit and case without any modules.
* The entry level, 22 GHash/s unit with 1 module, the lowest priced unit in our selection.
* The mid level, 45 GHash/s unit with 2 modules.
* The high end model with 85 GHash/s which is featuring 4 "Generation 1" modules with Avalon ASIC chips and is identical to the batch #1 units.

Also, when you will select the product you will be able to choose an option to "Supply your own Avalon ASICs". This will allow users that took part of a group buy or that bought for themselves an entire 10K batch of Avalon ASICs, to have a big discount on the units price by trading in their chips to our factory for assembly on the bought units.

Regarding timing, batch #2 will be sent out 3 weeks later than batch #1 units and, as before, they will be shipped out as "first come, first served" basis.

If you are interested in buying please take a close look at our website when the batch #2 sales will open!
one4many

Activity: 516
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 10:54:39 AM

blog update

Yes, I was there. A detailed report of my visit will follow later today, I just got out of bed.
I arrived at home at 4:30 h in the morning.  Shocked

There is quite a bit of stuff to write up.  Smiley

Stay tuned!

one4many
stallker99

Activity: 159

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 02:56:09 PM

Hi!
Interested in your project.
Question - can I pay bitcoin? because I will do it faster than a bank transfer from my country ((
one4many

Activity: 516

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 05:49:22 PM
Last edit: February 03, 2016, 10:14:21 AM by one4many

Ok kids  Wink
... as promised here my report of my visit yesterday at the binmine.ch offices in CH.

I initially wanted to meet Thursday, but Giorgio told me that Friday might be a better time, because they will have parts delivered to them. This way it would not just be a meeting where we talk and theorize about the Bitcoin phenomenon and technology.

I arrived around 16:15 after over six hours of driving from Germany. It was pouring down with rain pretty much all the way until I crossed over at the San Bernardino pass. The temperature rose from an average of 9 degree Celsius to 22 degree and the sun came out as well just before my arrival in Camorino.

Giorgio picked me up outside the office building and we walked to the offices. First we sat down in their meeting room and started talking about the clone and their current timeline.

This week the electronic parts arrived. Giorgio (as stated in his previous posts) drove to the factory near Milan that morning to pick up the board.
Here are my pictures of them ... fresh out of the shrink wrapping:

30 minutes into the discussion a courier brought the parts needed to assemble the first prototype. They have everything at the moment except the Avalon chips, the TP-Link based "motherboard" (running Linux and cgminer) and a case to house everything.

The project plan for the near future looks like this:

- Next week (week 1) assembly of the board(s) with all the electronics ... see picture

.. this is were all the magic is going to happen  Wink

- In two weeks (week 2) they get their prototype case. This case will be slightly modified from the original to optimize airflow and housing of a bigger power supply
Here a CAD picture taken from the designer workstation

- End of week 3 beginning of week 4 they wanted to have the complete prototype incl. case ready, except for the Avalon chips. Unless somebody can provide them with sample chips out of their own early order. They already had some discussions about this with various people, but nothing concrete yet.
- One they prototype is confirmed to work as expected (ideally with Avalon chip .... or at least Avalon boards). They begin mass production of the first batch. Their goal is to have everything ready before the Avalon chips arrive at their offices. The day they arrive, Giorgio will drive them down to the factory together with all miner boards and start production immediately.
- After assembly of the complete units, every manufactured unit will have a 24 hours burn-in test were it will hash nonstop to confirm stability and quality.
- Finally all orders will be shipped in an FIFO order.
- The current estimated time for arrival at your doorstop (if you have ordered one) will be end of August.

Here some topics we talked about:
- My initial question was: What does qualify you to create such a clone in a timely manner? The answer was, that they already worked in the electronics area for quite some time. They developed a WiMax base station on their own, which they wanted to sell with a partner. They developed and tested the whole thing and made a few working prototypes, but unfortunately their partner went bankrupt before they could go to market. So in the 2nd picture you not only see the part of the team, but also their former project in background. The white (heavy) box is the WiMax base station, fully packed with electronics and a FGPA driving the unit. The team designed and developed everything from scratch incl. the programming of the FPGA. So if you know somebody who wants to run his own WiMax network talk to them.  Cheesy
- This brought us to FPGAs and the one used in the Avalon boxes. At the moment only a bitstream image of the FPGA 'firmware' is available, because the Avalon guys used some protected code from the manufacturer of the FPGA (I believe it is Xilinx). This FPGA is worth around 20 USDs and drives Avalon boards. They reckon that they can easily modify the board in the future to accomplish two things: A) Drive up to 8 boards and B) more importantly get rid of the TP-Link board. This boards is known to be buggy and quite a bit of hackery from Avalons side went into the development to make it work (an additional USB hub on the FPGA board as well as a modified power supply and more RAM on the TP-Link board). Their way forward would actually be a Raspberry PI, something I like a lot more as well. This far superior platform compared to the TP-Link hack opens a whole new world of possibilities to make the clones at lot more useful (besides of mining).
- We kept talking about a lot of little things around the Avalons as well. So for example ... Did you know that Avalon does not apply thermal paste to the heatsink? So they heat up a lot more and the chips age at an accelerated rate I guess. So my advise to current Avalon owners would be ... get some good thermal paste, take the heatsink of and apply a (very) thin layer before screwing it back on again.

bitmine.ch's plans for the future have already partly been revealed. But here is a small outlook of what we talked about:
- They want to offer spare parts, compatible to the original Avalon Box ... so in the (unlikely) event of something breaking in the/your? Avalon you can get a spare part from bitmine.ch
- A 3U rack mounted and water cooled version is in planning at the moment. This unit is likely to be different from the Avalons and has potentially around 180 GH/s to offer. An ETA is not in sight yet ... maybe end of this year!? Here a picture of the water cooled units,

those are going to be machined out of a block of aluminum one by one.

Finally we talked about another visit in a couple of weeks for an updated report. I'm on holiday next week so I suggested to come back once they start manufacturing the 1st batch in the factory .... so I can take some pictures from the assembly line (if allowed) ... and/or when they get some Avalon chips early and they can make them run in their own prototype.

If anyone has questions about the visit ... ask them here or send me a PM.

All the best!

one4many

P.S.: Keep in mind ... the biggest risk of this project (and maybe even your investment) is the delivery of the Avalon chips!!  Undecided
RayG

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 05:58:21 PM

Great news, Giorgio (&co)! And don't forget to fix the "3.3V/5V" HW bug (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=140539.980Wink
ryepdx

Activity: 714

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 06:29:38 PM

Might want to rethink that water block design. I saw a similar one proposed somewhere on the forums and it got torn to shreds, IIRC. Something about head pressure. I'll see if I can find it...
Fishbones

Activity: 122

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 11:01:13 PM

because the business relationship with them is stronger, we were already working with them from several years

Could you not ship the final product from Italy then? This would save on import duties and tax for EU buyers.
Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 11:07:26 PM

Scams are getting better and better...
Congratulations on this one, I almost ordered one.

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
giorgiomassa (OP)

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 11:17:23 PM

blog update

Yes, I was there. A detailed report of my visit will follow later today, I just got out of bed.
I arrived at home at 4:30 h in the morning.  Shocked

There is quite a bit of stuff to write up.  Smiley

Stay tuned!

one4many

Hi one4many,

Thanks for your great review, enjoy your holidays then and let's see us again when you get back!

Great news, Giorgio (&co)! And don't forget to fix the "3.3V/5V" HW bug (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=140539.980Wink

Thanks for pointing that out! It's already fixed in our current 1.0 clone boards  Smiley

Might want to rethink that water block design. I saw a similar one proposed somewhere on the forums and it got torn to shreds, IIRC. Something about head pressure. I'll see if I can find it...

Ok please PM it to me so that I can take a look.

Could you not ship the final product from Italy then? This would save on import duties and tax for EU buyers.

Only manufacturing of the electronic parts is done in Italy, final assembly and tests are done here. Even if we could, we would have to sell it by adding italian VAT which is 21% now and 23% very soon, not really a good deal.  Shocked

ImI
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 01:15:20 AM

Hi,

am i right that the actual batch has no watercooling?

Greets

ImI

cryptograd

Activity: 112

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 02:14:18 AM

Due to the extremely high demand, on Monday the 3th of June at about 20:00 CET we will open the sales for batch #2 units of our Avalon clone products, along with a few very interesting news.

The Avalon clone will be available in 4 different versions:

* Basic system, that means just the control unit and case without any modules.
* The entry level, 22 GHash/s unit with 1 module, the lowest priced unit in our selection.
* The mid level, 45 GHash/s unit with 2 modules.
* The high end model with 85 GHash/s which is featuring 4 "Generation 1" modules with Avalon ASIC chips and is identical to the batch #1 units.

Also, when you will select the product you will be able to choose an option to "Supply your own Avalon ASICs". This will allow users that took part of a group buy or that bought for themselves an entire 10K batch of Avalon ASICs, to have a big discount on the units price by trading in their chips to our factory for assembly on the bought units.

Regarding timing, batch #2 will be sent out 3 weeks later than batch #1 units and, as before, they will be shipped out as "first come, first served" basis.

If you are interested in buying please take a close look at our website when the batch #2 sales will open!

PLEASE ONLY ACCEPT BTC

Liked something I said ->17ry6rrknqmQ2S1NRArzdrNMmG2Zk449AE
Most important bitcointalk post in history
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=120184.msg1381739#msg1381739
dinogenes

Activity: 30

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 05:22:02 AM

Scams are getting better and better...
Congratulations on this one, I almost ordered one.

I feel the same way.

Finally we talked about another visit in a couple of weeks for an updated report. I'm on holiday next week so I suggested to come back once they start manufacturing the 1st batch in the factory .... so I can take some pictures from the assembly line (if allowed) ... and/or when they get some Avalon chips early and they can make them run in their own prototype.

I would like to see a video of a running finished model.
Also i would like to buy with cash or btc and pick it up by myself. (Maybe even for a little bit higher price)
Because 5000€ isn't a chicken feed.
RayG

Activity: 50

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 06:43:36 AM

I don't think it's a scam. With reference design available, it's not too hard to implement it. I give them 85% chance to deliver working machine in one month after Avalon chips arrive.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  

Jump to: