Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 09:08:27 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... 361 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [OFFICIAL]Bitfinex.com first Bitcoin P2P lending platform for leverage trading  (Read 723633 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
urwhatuknow

Activity: 446
Merit: 250

CAT.EX Exchange

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 07:59:14 AM

Does anyone else prefer the classic UI?
I really like the new interface except for one option I can't find anymore.

which one?
;-)

Giancarlo
Bitfinex Team

|(
▄▄██████████▄▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄█████▀ ▀█████▀ ▀██████▄
██████ ███ ▀▀▀ ███ ███████
██████▀▄███████████▄▀███████
███████ █████████████ ████████
████████▄▀█████████▀▄█████████
██████████▄ █████ ▄█▀▄▄▄▀█████
██████████ ████▌▐█ █▀▄█ ████
████████▌▐█████ █▌▐█▄▄████
▀█████▀ ██████▄ ▀ █████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀▀██████████▀▀
)(.
)
▌   ANNOUNCE THREAD   ▌▐   BOUNTY   ▐
TWITTER  |  FACEBOOK  |  TELEGRAM  |  DISCORD
(((((((   MOBILE APP [ ANDROID / IOS ]   )))))))
)
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 09:19:02 AM

Autorenew doesn't work from time to time (I rechecked last night to make sure I had the option activated for my higher % loans, and now another one of those ended up in my lendable balance).

Sorry bitfinex team if I seem like an eternal nag.  I really like your service, just trying to improve the experience.
capoeira
Legendary

Activity: 2404
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 12:53:59 AM

where are the Bitstamp asks?

capoeira
Legendary

Activity: 2404
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 01:07:46 AM

and what is happening with the ticker price? how can I set a stop loss for a short with that condition?

ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2013, 01:11:31 AM

Autorenew doesn't work from time to time (I rechecked last night to make sure I had the option activated for my higher % loans, and now another one of those ended up in my lendable balance).

Sorry bitfinex team if I seem like an eternal nag.  I really like your service, just trying to improve the experience.

true, Autorenew is not working for me too.
Please validate this bug.

Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 02:06:31 AM

For me Autolend leaves a balance of up to 0.10 units out of orders. Not much in USD but more than 10 times (currently 16 times) as much in BTC...

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
8fold

Activity: 391

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 06:35:49 AM

The same for me. Also ask route to stamp dont work Sad
Indeed, we all experienced that missing stamp ask orderbook, as it was system related. Same with stamp routing, doesn't seem to work as it should, and not in a timely manner.

And about stop orders, what do you guys (traders and developers) say about an aditional stop LIMIT order? Meaning set a stop with a predefined limit order.

Bitrated user: 8fold.
unclescrooge (OP)
aka Raphy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 11:06:35 AM

Hello guys,

Thanks for all the feedback.

About the missing ask, I will add a small message explaining it on the orderbook. When you don't see bitstamp asks, that means ther eis not enough USD on Bitstamp, and you can't buy there (ie, you don't see the orders you can't get).

About the auto-renew issue, I haven't been able to reproduce and correct this, although I have seen it happen sometimes. Will continue to work on that.

Let me know if you have any more questions

Raphael
Bitfinex team
unclescrooge (OP)
aka Raphy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 09:18:50 PM

Indeed, we all experienced that missing stamp ask orderbook, as it was system related. Same with stamp routing, doesn't seem to work as it should, and not in a timely manner.

And about stop orders, what do you guys (traders and developers) say about an aditional stop LIMIT order? Meaning set a stop with a predefined limit order.

Hello 8fold Smiley

this is an idea I already seen pass. I'm curious on the feedback of other traders, as this is tricky, this might not be filled in a moving market (obviously)  so yeah, interested to know if everyone think it's worth it.

From my point of view this is possible to implement it, for sure Smiley

Best regards
Raphael
8fold

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 02:30:47 AM

Hello 8fold Smiley

this is an idea I already seen pass. I'm curious on the feedback of other traders, as this is tricky, this might not be filled in a moving market (obviously)  so yeah, interested to know if everyone think it's worth it.

From my point of view this is possible to implement it, for sure Smiley

Best regards
Raphael

Thank you for addressing my suggestion!

To be clear, we are talking about a stop limit order that would have two values as parameters: a trigger/stop value and a limit order value. So for example, suppose the market has been rallying aggressively for the last few days and the price has reached $167, where it meets some considerable resistance. You decide to go short, with a strict stop loss. In this case you would use a stop limit order with a trigger value of $167.01 (just above the resistance level) and a limit order value of $168. So if the stop order gets executed, it can only be filled up to a max price of $168.

The advantage of this order is that it allows for a better control over your stop price, preventing unnecessary slippage with larger orders. However, this is an advanced order and requires a little more thought over what limit you set. Hope people will see the benefit though.

P.S. Thanks Raphy for switching bid and ask in the trading section's orderbook. It is better, less confusing.

sangaman

Activity: 342

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2013, 04:07:40 AM

Also sorry to sound like an eternal nag (and also just trying to help improve your service) but I have another minor bug/annoyance. I actually can't remember if I posted about this here before but I believe it happened again the other day.

Sometimes my lendable balance will say, for example, $123.45. When I go to make a loan offer of $123.45, it will tell me I have an insufficient balance. If I make it $123.44, then it goes through.

I suspect what's happening is that my true balance is something like $123.4499 and gets rounded up to $123.45. Can you make sure that the lendable balance displayed is always rounded down to two decimal places?
Progressive

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 10:52:37 AM

The "cancel all" button in margin trade screen is not working for me in new UI.

Does anyone else prefer the classic UI?
Yes. And I agree with above post which points out that there is WAY too much whitespace in the new interface...

This. Whole post.
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 11:25:58 AM
Last edit: October 21, 2013, 11:54:56 AM by Ente

Sometimes my lendable balance will say, for example, $123.45. When I go to make a loan offer of $123.45, it will tell me I have an insufficient balance. If I make it $123.44, then it goes through.

+1 on this.
No biggie, but costs a few more clicks every other day.

edit:
The nicest way would be a "max" button which enters the whole available amount.

Ente
Ente
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 11:29:19 AM

I have an active position, where I have several loans open for. I close one loan. Now the loan is immediately re-loaned at the best rate available. I would expect that the position would be reduced by that amount instead?

Ente
mccoyspace

Activity: 237
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2013, 01:12:12 PM

I have an active position, where I have several loans open for. I close one loan. Now the loan is immediately re-loaned at the best rate available. I would expect that the position would be reduced by that amount instead?

Ente

How would this work? By issuing a market order? across both exchanges?
I like how the current system works. Unless you specifically sell your coins, a loan will be there to cover your position (assuming USD is available).

closing a loan =! closing a margin position
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 01:13:31 PM

Since you are trying to be a "meta"-exchange, any plans to integrate Kraken? They are relatively new players but seem to have their bank behind them (unlike lots of other exchanges) and are really accessible in the EU. Not so much in the US (10 USD deposit fee), but still...

They have thin order books but that does not mean much for the moment...

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Ente
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 01:14:46 PM

Ente

How would this work? By issuing a market order? across both exchanges?
I like how the current system works. Unless you specifically sell your coins, a loan will be there to cover your position (assuming USD is available).

closing a loan =! closing a margin position

..that's what I thought would happen, and if I don't remember this wrong, was how it used to be some time ago.
Well, now that I know this behavior I will use it accordingly.

Ente
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 10:43:51 PM

Hey guys.

I'm new to bitfinex, opened an account there a week ago, my money arrived, and now I'm ready to...

... read a lot.

The entire business of margin trading, shorting, etc. is still new to me, but I'm reading up on it. I have to say though, the information on the bitfinex sources themselves is pretty chaotic, and sometimes contradictory. For example, I found a statement by Raphael that lenders would never lose money, but as it turns out, the actual system is one of insured/uninsured loans. I'm sure that's all well known for those who are on bitfinex for a longer time, but for a newcomer, it's a bit frustrating.

Anyway, hope you don't mind me asking a few questions:

1) wanted to sign up on the bitfinex forum. registration asks for a "registration code". I checked my bitfinex emails, and I never got such a code. What's the deal?

2) To get started, I decided to put a portion of my money as a loan. Wasn't sure about the rate, though. The statistics say the current average rate is 130% p.a., but most loan offers are higher. Can someone fill me in what the max rate is any respectable trader would take? I'm not planning on putting out a loan at that rate, I'm just trying to get a feeling for what the maximum profit is traders expect when they trade on margin (sorry if I get the terminology wrong ...  like I said, I'm a noob :D)

3) I think I sort of get the exchange/meta-exchange model of bitfinex, but not entirely: right now it says "not enough USD on bitstamp". I thought most of the bitfinex volume was actually coming from trades executed on bitstamp. So how come there aren't enough funds on bitstamp? In fact, I don't get *whose* funds those are: are they funds of bitfinex traders, or is it USD bitfinex itself places on bitstamp in order to execute trades on bitstamp?

4) A more practical question: I'm usually trading on bitstamp, and got used to its quirks (relatively shallow market depth, although that's changing in the last weeks), but I don't know about the bitfinex market: do you guys trade on bitfinex itself, or do most of you execute trades on bitstamp? What's the market depth on bitfinex on average? Can you execute moderately large trades without too much spread?

That's all for now. I know, many questions. Would be really grateful if someone could take a shot at at least a few of them :)

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
8fold

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 02:30:00 AM
Last edit: October 22, 2013, 02:47:54 AM by 8fold

Hey man! I'll answer a few of these.

2) To get started, I decided to put a portion of my money as a loan. Wasn't sure about the rate, though. The statistics say the current average rate is 130% p.a., but most loan offers are higher. Can someone fill me in what the max rate is any respectable trader would take? I'm not planning on putting out a loan at that rate, I'm just trying to get a feeling for what the maximum profit is traders expect when they trade on margin (sorry if I get the terminology wrong ...  like I said, I'm a noob Cheesy)

There is no "max rate any respectable trader would take". It all depends on supply and demand, which is affected by market conditions. In a very bullish market, as is the case at this very moment, most people want to go long, hence the high lending rate at which funds are available. Are traders able to make a profit in spite of this? Yes, profit is possible.

3) I think I sort of get the exchange/meta-exchange model of bitfinex, but not entirely: right now it says "not enough USD on bitstamp". I thought most of the bitfinex volume was actually coming from trades executed on bitstamp. So how come there aren't enough funds on bitstamp? In fact, I don't get *whose* funds those are: are they funds of bitfinex traders, or is it USD bitfinex itself places on bitstamp in order to execute trades on bitstamp?

Bitfinex has an account opened at Bitstamp through which the routing of orders directly to Bitstamp takes place. At this moment, Bitfinex's account at Bitstamp is at a shortage of USD because of the large number of traders that had their long orders being routed to Bitstamp. I assume Bitfinex's account at Bitstamp is one of the largest accounts on Bitstamp, so you can imagine the amount bought. But even at this moment, extra funds are on it's way to the big account, from what I was told by Raphael.

4) A more practical question: I'm usually trading on bitstamp, and got used to its quirks (relatively shallow market depth, although that's changing in the last weeks), but I don't know about the bitfinex market: do you guys trade on bitfinex itself, or do most of you execute trades on bitstamp? What's the market depth on bitfinex on average? Can you execute moderately large trades without too much spread?

Short answer is geared towards yes. For example, more than half of my trades have been executed at BFX, reducing my average fee to roughly 0.175% and I trade between 1000 and 5000 BTC per month at Bitfinex.

Also, if you look at the Level 2 Orderbook, you will see some BFX orders put "in front" of BSTP orders that have "better prices". Bitfinex is sorting the orders like this taking the smaller BFX fees in consideration. So if you were to place a market order, that "higher" BFX price at which your order would be executed is actually better for you because you would end up paying less with fees included.

EDIT: I've just checked your bitcointalk account, and you have registered one minute after I did, back in April this year. I think I am starting to believe in unicorns as well!

urwhatuknow

Activity: 446

CAT.EX Exchange

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 07:05:08 AM

Hey man! I'll answer a few of these.

2) To get started, I decided to put a portion of my money as a loan. Wasn't sure about the rate, though. The statistics say the current average rate is 130% p.a., but most loan offers are higher. Can someone fill me in what the max rate is any respectable trader would take? I'm not planning on putting out a loan at that rate, I'm just trying to get a feeling for what the maximum profit is traders expect when they trade on margin (sorry if I get the terminology wrong ...  like I said, I'm a noob Cheesy)

There is no "max rate any respectable trader would take". It all depends on supply and demand, which is affected by market conditions. In a very bullish market, as is the case at this very moment, most people want to go long, hence the high lending rate at which funds are available. Are traders able to make a profit in spite of this? Yes, profit is possible.

Bitfinex has an account opened at Bitstamp through which the routing of orders directly to Bitstamp takes place. At this moment, Bitfinex's account at Bitstamp is at a shortage of USD because of the large number of traders that had their long orders being routed to Bitstamp. I assume Bitfinex's account at Bitstamp is one of the largest accounts on Bitstamp, so you can imagine the amount bought. But even at this moment, extra funds are on it's way to the big account, from what I was told by Raphael.

Short answer is geared towards yes. For example, more than half of my trades have been executed at BFX, reducing my average fee to roughly 0.175% and I trade between 1000 and 5000 BTC per month at Bitfinex.

Also, if you look at the Level 2 Orderbook, you will see some BFX orders put "in front" of BSTP orders that have "better prices". Bitfinex is sorting the orders like this taking the smaller BFX fees in consideration. So if you were to place a market order, that "higher" BFX price at which your order would be executed is actually better for you because you would end up paying less with fees included.

EDIT: I've just checked your bitcointalk account, and you have registered one minute after I did, back in April this year. I think I am starting to believe in unicorns as well!

Thanks for the good explanation 8fold.
You are great in making complicated things easy to understand.

To add some transparency to how Bitfinex operates I would like to explain in details why we sometimes incur in a liquidity crunch on our Bitstamp account.
It might sound strange (not!) but the world is driven by 2 mayor feelings: fear and greediness.
I believe I said nothing new so far, but what might surprise you is that people tend to get extremely greedy when the market goes up a lot and extremely scared when the market goes down a lot.
Also this concept might not be unknown to you, as you all have been around for a while now.
;-)
The two above mechanisms determine the fact that when the market is in bear mode the usd liquidity is good, say about 50% of our total customers assets are in usd.
But when the market is bullish (as it is now) people tend to buy all the bitcoins they can and then some more (they borrow to get some extra).
This determines 2 things: interest rates on loans are jumping and it becomes really difficult for us at Bitfinex to keep both our domestic and Bitstamp market fueled with enough fiat funds.
Even half a million dollars liquidity can disappear in a matter of minutes if a big order for 2/3,000 bitcoin is placed and executed on Bitstamp (which is normally the case, given the fact that their orderbook is for the moment thicker than ours).
Believe it or not we start to have such big "whales" among our customers.
They used to be swimming only in the japanese sea, but they recently migrated south towards Hong Kong and we'll try our best to keep them happy and to add some more  Wink
When our Bitstamp account gets dry we have to wire money to them, but this might take a couple of days if there is no weekend in between or even more (4 days) if there is one.
Banks love to sit on their customers money and this is not a secret.
Furthermore we also like to keep our customers dollars as safe as possible and even though we trust Bitstamp to be a very reliable organization we know that shit happens and therefore tend to minimize the risk by keeping the vast majority of your dollars safe in our account (I hope you will appreciate this).

I hope this explanation helps your understanding and will mitigate some of your frustration when the small sign  saying "no more funds on Bistamp...." appears on the order book.

Feel free to ask any question that might come to your head.

Now the last thing: how to improve the current system?

- Talk to your friends about us, get some more people to know Bitfinex and its unique features.
- When you place an order consider choosing the "Bitfinex only" option (advice: place a limit order and not a market order to avoid price slippage), this will save you about 60% in commissions and improve our orderbook depth.  
- The more we become independent from other markets, the more your money and coins will be safe.

Bitfinex is not even 1 year old (it will be soon, in a few days...) and we already managed to be among the top 5 bitcoin trading websites in the world.
Silently.
We keep a low profile as we keep working on our compliance, knowing that lightnings tend to strike tall trees.
We are trying to improve our loans liquidity and we are adding more market makers.
We don't want every customer, we want just the good ones.
I believe Bitfinex has a great business model and provide great customer support, especially because of Raphael and Patricia that work endlessly to add new features and eliminate bugs.
I try my best to help with some of these posts, not always obtaining good results.

Our goal is to be within the biggest 3 within a year and with your help we can do it.

Vires ex numeris!

Have a good day

Giancarlo
Bitfinex Team

|(
▄▄██████████▄▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄█████▀ ▀█████▀ ▀██████▄
██████ ███ ▀▀▀ ███ ███████
██████▀▄███████████▄▀███████
████████▄▀█████████▀▄█████████
██████████▄ █████ ▄█▀▄▄▄▀█████
██████████ ████▌▐█ █▀▄█ ████
████████▌▐█████ █▌▐█▄▄████
▀█████▀ ██████▄ ▀ █████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀▀██████████▀▀
)(.
)
▌   ANNOUNCE THREAD   ▌▐   BOUNTY   ▐
TWITTER  |  FACEBOOK  |  TELEGRAM  |  DISCORD
(((((((   MOBILE APP [ ANDROID / IOS ]   )))))))
)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... 361 »
  Print  

Jump to: