Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:37:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 »
  Print  
Author Topic: IOTA is the next big thing  (Read 45349 times)
luchins

Activity: 204
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 10:37:03 PM

This  guy   talks  about IOTA, concerns and ternary processor

https://hackernoon.com/why-i-find-iota-deeply-alarming-934f1908194b
https://hackernoon.com/iota-the-currency-of-skynet-281b6abaec5

One of the first things you learn on investigating Iota further is that it uses balanced ternary, a numeral system with 3 digits, -1, 0 and 1. The authors have various arguments as to why they made this decision, but they come down to two main ones:

Ternary processors are theoretically more efficient than binary processors.
    Certain mathematical constructs are more cleanly represented in balanced ternary.

Unfortunately, neither of these are relevant in a practical system. Iota is by necessity built to run on existing hardware, which is exclusively binary, as are the communication networks it uses. As a result, all of its internal ternary notation has to be encapsulated in binary, resulting in significant storage and computational overhead. Math must either be performed on individual ‘trits’ or first converted from binary-wrapped-ternary encoding into the machine’s native number representation, and back again afterwards — in either case imposing a large computational overhead.

Likewise, the theoretical benefits of a balanced ternary notation, such as not needing a sign bit, are more than outweighed by the practical disadvantages, since every processor Iota will run on is already equipped to perform math on twos-complement numbers, but requires software emulation to operate on balanced ternary.

This combination of not invented here syndrome and the Dunning-Kruger effect has led to a situation where the authors of Iota have decided that their affection for the tidyness of balanced ternary must outweigh all practical considerations in system design, and leads to a syst
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
luchins

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 10:39:17 PM

New website is live: https://www.iota.org/

Are you excpecting a  price per coin of  360$ ?

Are you sure?

Based on what?   Even  if  IOT   would adopt IOTA  tecno (A BIG IF  and  A  BIG BET)  how can you  esxpect  a price like that   WITH  2  BILLLIONS  TOKENS?

hirozaki faraday

Activity: 266
Merit: 279

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 11:20:38 PM

IOTA is a great project and yeah it will be a big thing however as trends go I think it is safe to say there is not going to be a major pump soon. There was 9minth gap between the two previous major alt pumps so its going to be while before any major movement. Just sit back and relax no rush at all.
aardvark15

Activity: 994
Merit: 510

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 01:38:44 AM

why  do the price  should  increase?   What's  your point  of  wiev?  Only because of  speculation? From where  will come the demand  for this  coin?
From nerds? Not  from the avearege joe

There is not a wallet for IOTA yet, i don't feel safe without having them on my hardware wallet.

In fact, i do not hold any coins that can not be in a hardware wallet. If they have other protocol, i don't storage them because of my own safety.

IOTA   a  coin which  doesn't  even get a  wallet  after 4 years of  development

Monero still hasn't gotten one either, so not sure what your point is. In fact they are on track to introduce ledger at about the same time. The issue with both coins is that they aren't copy/pastes of BTC or ETH and that it's a technical PITA for ledger/trezor to implement them--both Monero and IOTA have been helping ledger with the process.

I have IOTA on their current wallet and I know it’s simple and has flaws but I have confidence in it. The main problem is that sometimes the balance shows zero and you have to reattach to the Tangle again and then the balance shows up. I don’t see this as a big problem like other people do. If this is the thing holding the price down, then I see this as an opportunity to buy IOTA cheaply.
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2018, 06:11:08 AM

This  guy   talks  about IOTA, concerns and ternary processor

https://hackernoon.com/why-i-find-iota-deeply-alarming-934f1908194b
https://hackernoon.com/iota-the-currency-of-skynet-281b6abaec5

One of the first things you learn on investigating Iota further is that it uses balanced ternary, a numeral system with 3 digits, -1, 0 and 1. The authors have various arguments as to why they made this decision, but they come down to two main ones:

Ternary processors are theoretically more efficient than binary processors.
    Certain mathematical constructs are more cleanly represented in balanced ternary.

Unfortunately, neither of these are relevant in a practical system. Iota is by necessity built to run on existing hardware, which is exclusively binary, as are the communication networks it uses. As a result, all of its internal ternary notation has to be encapsulated in binary, resulting in significant storage and computational overhead. Math must either be performed on individual ‘trits’ or first converted from binary-wrapped-ternary encoding into the machine’s native number representation, and back again afterwards — in either case imposing a large computational overhead.

Likewise, the theoretical benefits of a balanced ternary notation, such as not needing a sign bit, are more than outweighed by the practical disadvantages, since every processor Iota will run on is already equipped to perform math on twos-complement numbers, but requires software emulation to operate on balanced ternary.

This combination of not invented here syndrome and the Dunning-Kruger effect has led to a situation where the authors of Iota have decided that their affection for the tidyness of balanced ternary must outweigh all practical considerations in system design, and leads to a syst

Where did you copy/paste that from--hard to believe a guy who didn't know what a node is a day ago suddenly understands more complex systems.

Anyway, JINN predates IOTA and is the processor IOTA was meant to function over top of--this idea that corporations won't switch to a cheap processor that adds efficiency is pretty boneheaded, but it's technical enough that people can get away with hiding their boneheaded assumption in technical jargon. By the way, IOTA works on binary to, it is merely designed for ternary ( so such a distinction is pretty pointless, unless you are talking about the efficiency of the processors).

generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2018, 06:17:48 AM

Are you excpecting a  price per coin of  360$ ?

Are you sure?

Based on what?   Even  if  IOT   would adopt IOTA  tecno (A BIG IF  and  A  BIG BET)  how can you  esxpect  a price like that   WITH  2  BILLLIONS  TOKENS?

You do know that the IOT is estimated to become 10-35 trillion over the coming decades?  Thinking that the protocol layer handling it would get 10% of the low ball figure--and given that crypto's values are way higher than what they perform in actual usecases, my figure is pretty conservative. Not sure why everyone gets fixated on issued coins when that figure is relative to the amount of marketcap, which in turn is relative to the use case, which is relative to things like first mover advantage, and so on...

luchins

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 03:57:01 PM

Are you excpecting a  price per coin of  360$ ?

Are you sure?

Based on what?   Even  if  IOT   would adopt IOTA  tecno (A BIG IF  and  A  BIG BET)  how can you  esxpect  a price like that   WITH  2  BILLLIONS  TOKENS?

You do know that the IOT is estimated to become 10-35 trillion over the coming decades?  Thinking that the protocol layer handling it would get 10% of the low ball figure--and given that crypto's values are way higher than what they perform in actual usecases, my figure is pretty conservative. Not sure why everyone gets fixated on issued coins when that figure is relative to the amount of marketcap, which in turn is relative to the use case, which is relative to things like first mover advantage, and so on...

The  current  IOT devices  are BINARY

DO YOU THINK   the  entire  world  will change    because  IOTA is ternary?

That  guy  has explained  very  well that   ternary trit  cause overload   on  binary processors, and  a wasteful of energy  for  BINARY  hardwares  to adapt to  the    signals  sent from the ternary devices.

Also   read  up this,  I have searched  on  internet  ''In which  markets  are  we going to see  IOTA?''

Look at  all the  answers,  ahahahah they  'll make  uou  laugh... no one  has been  able to give a  good  use-case  of  IOTA  ahahaha

read up  and  laugh

https://www.reddit.com/r/Iota/comments/7npf1f/what_are_iota_real_life_use_cases/

LAST  BUT NOT  THE LEAST remember the Curl vulnerability ..  the   devs  said  ''We  want to  protectthe code  from copy past''...  so I am   asking  why don't  the devs   make  the source code   closed instead  of  letting  curl  vulnerabilities in the  code?

nabinkhadka

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 04:06:40 PM

IOTA is amazing coin.
generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2018, 04:14:04 PM

Are you sure?

Based on what?   Even  if  IOT   would adopt IOTA  tecno (A BIG IF  and  A  BIG BET)  how can you  esxpect  a price like that   WITH  2  BILLLIONS  TOKENS?

You do know that the IOT is estimated to become 10-35 trillion over the coming decades?  Thinking that the protocol layer handling it would get 10% of the low ball figure--and given that crypto's values are way higher than what they perform in actual usecases, my figure is pretty conservative. Not sure why everyone gets fixated on issued coins when that figure is relative to the amount of marketcap, which in turn is relative to the use case, which is relative to things like first mover advantage, and so on...

That  guy  has explained  very  well that   ternary trit  cause overload   on  binary processors, and  a wasteful of energy  for  BINARY  hardwares  to adapt to  the    signals  sent from the ternary devices.

Also   read  up this,  I have searched  on  internet  ''In which  markets  are  we going to see  IOTA?''

Look at  all the  answers,  ahahahah they  'll make  uou  laugh... no one  has been  able to give a  good  use-case  of  IOTA  ahahaha

read up  and  laugh

https://www.reddit.com/r/Iota/comments/7npf1f/what_are_iota_real_life_use_cases/

LAST  BUT NOT  THE LEAST,  REMEMBER THE  CURL VULNERABILITY ,.    whcih   devs  said  ''We  want to  protect the code  from copy past''...  so I am   asking  WHY  DON'T  the devs   make  the source code   closed instead  of  letting  curl  vulnerabilities in the  code?

You do realize that IOTA is in BETA (but still manages to process millions of dollars without a single fee), so usecases are being developed. If you can make the same claim after IOTA is production ready, you'd actually have a valid criticism--though given how many developers and corporations are working on IOTA POCs, it seems doubtful that your early criticism will last to when it matters.

As far as ternary, IOT devices need to be as efficient as possible, ternary is more efficient than binary. AFAIK, JINN processors are going to be <$1, so it is not going to be cost prohibitive (especially given improved efficiency) for corporations and countries to install new sensors or upgrade their current ones. Most decisions the IOTA devs make are in mind of the small power footprint of these devices. I feel like people who are criticizing ternary are blind to JINN or how IOT devices need to use as little power as possible, but it may be a willful blindness.

I'll wait for the third party evaluation of curl-p to see who was right about its security risks/non-risks. CFB/BCNext did put similar measures in NXT, so it is not without precedent (however unpopular it may be).

luchins

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 04:39:37 PM

Are you sure?

That  guy  has explained  very  well that   ternary trit  cause overload   on  binary processors, and  a wasteful of energy  for  BINARY  hardwares  to adapt to  the    signals  sent from the ternary devices.

read up  and  laugh

LAST  BUT NOT  THE LEAST,  REMEMBER THE  CURL VULNERABILITY ,.    whcih   devs  said  ''We  want to  protect the code  from copy past''...  so I am   asking  WHY  DON'T  the devs   make  the source code   closed instead  of  letting  curl  vulnerabilities in the  code?

You do realize that IOTA is in BETA (but still manages to process millions of dollars without a single fee), so usecases are being developed. If you can make the same claim after IOTA is production ready, you'd actually have a valid criticism--though given how many developers and corporations are working on IOTA POCs, it seems doubtful that your early criticism will last to when it matters.

As far as ternary, IOT devices need to be as efficient as possible, ternary is more efficient than binary. AFAIK, JINN processors are going to be <$1, so it is not going to be cost prohibitive (especially given improved efficiency) for corporations and countries to install new sensors or upgrade their current ones. Most decisions the IOTA devs make are in mind of the small power footprint of these devices. I feel like people who are criticizing ternary are blind to JINN or how IOT devices need to use as little power as possible, but it may be a willful blindness.

I'll wait for the third party evaluation of curl-p to see who was right about its security risks/non-risks. CFB/BCNext did put similar measures in NXT, so it is not without precedent (however unpopular it may be).

Aahahah  JIN  1$  to upgrade  existing devices  to  the ternary  devices  ahahaha  

There  are  a lot of devices  (trillions)  using  binary hardware,  1$  for  upgrading each device, make the math  ahahahha  

In your opinion companies  will  pay trillions  to upgrade their  devices  to TERNARY  ahahahahahah

You made  the wrong  investment    just  admit  it.

generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2018, 04:51:21 PM

Are you sure?

read up  and  laugh

Aahahah  JIN  1$  to upgrade  existing devices  to  the ternary  devices  ahahaha  

There  are  a lot of devices  (trillions)  using  binary hardware,  1$  for  upgrading each device, make the math  ahahahha  

In your opinion companies  will  pay trillions  to upgrade their  devices  to TERNARY  ahahahahahah

You made  the wrong  investment    just  admit  it.

Actually <$1, but why let  details get in the way of your trolling---

Also, you seemed to miss my point (though it was stated subtly, I'll admit) that the gain in efficiency will pay for those upgrades--most companies have no qulams about spending <$1 (or any amount) if it pays them back over time in efficiency/profit margin. If IOTA secures their data streams and allows them to sell data that would otherwsie be useless, and do so without a fee--yes, companies will gladly change to ternary chips. Do you think Bosch, Fujitsu and VW don't know that IOTA is designed for ternary? I'm pretty sure their research goes beyond a good day spent on google--though some are better than others in that regard.

luchins

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 05:37:13 PM

Also, you seemed to miss my point (though it was stated subtly, I'll admit) that the gain in efficiency will pay for those upgrades--most companies have no qulams about spending <$1 (or any amount) if it pays them back over time in efficiency/profit margin. If IOTA secures their data streams and allows them to sell data that would otherwsie be useless, and do so without a fee--yes, companies will gladly change to ternary chips. Do you think Bosch, Fujitsu and VW don't know that IOTA is designed for ternary? I'm pretty sure their research goes beyond a good day spent on google--though some are better than others in that regard.

Hello, please...    trillions   of  dollars/eur   is  not   a  joke, for  any company.

Also  the data  marketplace  is  available  for evryone

Example:  In  my house  there  are three  smart  Bosh Iot devices  or sensors.

I can   sell  the  data  of that sensors  in the IOTA market, not  Bosh.

The DATA  produced  by that  sensors are MINE,  not  of  Bosh.

SO  HOW  DO YOU THINK COMPANIES  WILL REVENUE FROM DATA MARKETPLACE?

cryptimus prime (OP)

Activity: 493
Merit: 551

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 06:09:54 PM

Simply ignore and dont feed the troll. 
Trolls troll, but we like to make money. Grin

IOTA IXI Hub is finished. That means we will see soon implementation in Poloniex, Kraken and Bittrex. The german largest Bitcoin exchange Bitcoin.de is going to list IOTA too. That opens Fiat Gateways together with Kraken.
And some feeling tells me that Bithumb will list IOTA too, because they like to list Top10 coins. Also Japanese Exchanges adding IOTA would not be surprising, as they have established strong contacts in Japan.

Basically IOTA is already too strong to fail. Fujitsu, Bosch, Daimler Benz (just wait a little bit), Volkswagen, Bosch, Samsung, Huawei...long list.
IOTA advisors sit in conferences with regulators in UK, Germany and G20.

All those who missed my last call on IOTA now have chance to enter a project which will span all over the world and become the largest decentralized network we have ever seen.
People have asked me if I do have another strong call for 2018. Yes. AION.
generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2018, 06:12:01 PM

Hello, please...    trillions   of  dollars/eur   is  not   a  joke, for  any company.

Also  the data  marketplace  is  available  for evryone

Example:  In  my house  there  are three  smart  Bosh Iot devices  or sensors.

I can   sell  the  data  of that sensors  in the IOTA market, not  Bosh.

The DATA  produced  by that  sensors are MINE,  not  of  Bosh.

SO  HOW  DO YOU THINK COMPANIES  WILL REVENUE FROM DATA MARKETPLACE?

"Trillions of dollars"? Are you asuming there are a trillion sensors on the planet and one company has to pay for them--otherwise your statement doesn't make sense--though it still doesn't make much sense given there are a few billion IOT devices today and they aren't owned by a single entity.

Companies make money on that data from the devices they own--for example VW's automonous taxi intiative or google delivery drones. Also, they can buy the consumer data from the consumer, which gives them better analytics and market research. Most companies have silos of data sitting in dbs that could be sold on the openmarket through the data marketplace (though that doesn't only apply to data collected by sensors).

luchins

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 06:18:46 PM

IOTA IXI Hub is finished. That means we will see soon implementation in Poloniex, Kraken and Bittrex. The german largest Bitcoin exchange Bitcoin.de is going to list IOTA too. That opens Fiat Gateways together with Kraken.
And some feeling tells me that Bithumb will list IOTA too, because they like to list Top10 coins. Also Japanese Exchanges adding IOTA would not be surprising, as they have established strong contacts in Japan.

Basically IOTA is already too strong to fail. Fujitsu, Bosch, Daimler Benz (just wait a little bit), Volkswagen, Bosch, Samsung, Huawei...long list.

All those who missed my last call on IOTA now have chance to enter a project which will span all over the world and become the largest decentralized network we have ever seen.

Basically you call  all  the worst coins... AION, lol  another   cross  chain project  

There  how many?  1000  projects  based on cross chain / interoperability cross chain blockchains

generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2018, 06:21:44 PM
Merited by cryptimus prime (1)

I'm bored and I find it interesting that someone doesn't care about getting things wrong on a regular basis. Still trying to figure out what his end game is as I can't really believe he thinks he is making a compelling case. But shorters do weird things when they don't have the money to cover their mistakes and overestimate BCT's influence on the market.

luchins

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 06:24:59 PM

"Trillions of dollars"? Are you asuming there are a trillion sensors on the planet and one company has to pay for them--otherwise your statement doesn't make sense--though it still doesn't make much sense given there are a few billion IOT devices today and they aren't owned by a single entity.

Companies make money on that data from the devices they own--for example VW's automonous taxi intiative or google delivery drones. Also, they can buy the consumer data from the consumer, which gives them better analytics and market research. Most companies have silos of data sitting in dbs that could be sold on the openmarket through the data marketplace (though that doesn't only apply to data collected by sensors).

I am  smart enough to  thnk  with my head  and  not  to  fall into ''data  marketplace''

Every blockchain can do that  

And once again:  I will seel  data to Google, not  Google  to other people.

That's  why  IOTA is a  treat  for  Amazon, Google

cryptimus prime (OP)

Activity: 493
Merit: 551

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 06:29:49 PM

Basically you call  all  the worst coins... AION, lol  another   cross  chain project  

There  how many?  1000  projects  based on cross chain / interoperability cross chain blockchains

I like to listen to you plankton, for a short while it makes me laugh...now ignore. Cheesy
generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2018, 06:32:05 PM

I am  smart enough to  thnk  with my head  and  not  to  fall into ''data  marketplace''

Every blockchain can do that  

And once again:  I will seel  data to Google, not  Google  to other people.

That's  why  IOTA is a  treat  for  Amazon, Google

Every blockchain can do feeless and scalable, the things needed to make a data marketplace feasible? Maybe you should go tell them that, because IOTA's the only one testing it. Would be weird that in market of overpromising money grabs, that one of the biggest money makers would be ignored by something anyone can do. /s

Musia

Activity: 518
Merit: 100

https://saturn.black

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 06:38:32 PM

Iota, as well as bitcoin, is now experiencing hard times. Price sank very much. And if bitcoin supports a huge number of investors, then iota can collapse. It will be a pity.

SATURN
Liquidity providerfor crypto markets Cross-chain Exchange & OTC trading Platform
────────  Facebook Twitter ♦  Telegram ♦  Blog ♦  Bitcointalk   ────────
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 »
  Print  

Jump to: