Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:06:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... 70 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Activity & new membergroup limits  (Read 242375 times)
TomUnderSea

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:14:29 PM

So effectively my max activity level will be the number of days I have been a member but only if I post every week or so.

Posting more than my time counter does not increase my activity level.

Spamming is discouraged but so is posting.

Every little BTC helps.  14P3TfbttSpQ3BxUjwrUrmNU6F4mB9aMS5
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MagicBit15

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Let's Start a Cryptolution!!

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:14:35 PM

This is bullsh*t. If your going to do a post/activity ratio crap, you need to have both available next to the avatar. No one is just going to click your profile?

It's discrediting longtime forum members. Please Fix this immediately!!

No, changing people's titles to "Scammer" and "Untrustworthy" despite evidence of the opposite is discrediting longtime forum members. This is allowing long time forum members to be respected for what they actually are--- ACTIVE-- and stop rewarding newbies for creating new accounts and spamming.

Please re-read before you post. Second this fix has nothing to do with being a scammer or untrustworthy. It is doing more harm than good in literally the 35 min it has been up lol.

Also, for the second so it doesn't get reiterated.

If your going to do a post/activity ratio crap, you need to have both available next to the avatar.

Thank you!!

Tips for Tips: 1Jy8ZycPNjnwNLevNwoRRqPAKkZ8Fqnukc
I won the poetry contest!! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=219714.40 Thank You, Sir Lambert!!
+5 Rep: Successful Forum Transactions: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=176117.0  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=209024.0 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=233052 Check My Rep!!
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:14:46 PM

time = number of two-week periods in which you've posted since your registration
activity = min(time * 14, posts)
I don't like it.

It embodies the assumption that any post above once per day (averaged over two weeks) is not contributing; which I do not agree with.

At the very least number of posts per day should be increased, e.g. min(time * 28, posts).

And you should consider more sophisticated metrics such as sum of f(x) over all two-week periods, f(x) being x / (1 + sqrt(x/14)) or x / (1 + x/28).

Time spent logged in will also be useful to include as a component.

I flunked math, but I could add that logged in time is easily gamable now with sites like newbiejail.org, so it would probably make more sense to judge length of posts as well. The best thing would be if Theymos accepted my request months ago to make a "post vote" and "user trust circle" function to allow for ratings of posts by content, eliminate newbie jail entirely by having a trusted user trust you, etc.

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:16:38 PM

You're here a short 5 months. Why are you worried about longtime forum members?
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:21:15 PM

So you post only if you feel you get trust from this?
You're exactly the point of the new system...

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:22:24 PM

That's not entirely fair, he never came off like a guy posting here to build trust. Just seems to want to be involved in some things but busy enough not to be able to be involved in all things. For people like that, I don't know, maybe this hurts their activity rating and when people are saying "Low activity = scammer", maybe that's going to affect him negatively.

Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:25:36 PM

I like this, even if I'm not a hero member anymore  Sad Feels weird.

The time someone is in bitcoin + the contribution to this forum is really a good measure for a member status.

Great Idea theymos.

Posting is not discouraged, it's just not rewarded. Don't tell me you are here only to get that hero member tag.

Actually, now Hero Member finally means something and not only that I was able to make 500 posts in the "first word that pops into your head" thread.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:28:19 PM

This is bullsh*t. If your going to do a post/activity ratio crap, you need to have both available next to the avatar. No one is just going to click your profile?

Everybody has been saying that measuring people based on post count is a bad way to grant trust, so this should not affect anybody detrimentally.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
MagicBit15

Let's Start a Cryptolution!!

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:32:48 PM

Everybody has been saying that measuring people based on post count is a bad way to grant trust, so this should not affect anybody detrimentally.

Yeah I agree, but it's simple, just put both stats up. I don't think it's a bad idea, it just is incomplete.

I also don't know of many forums that don't display your post count next to your name, it's just weird, so let's get this fixed!!

Tips for Tips: 1Jy8ZycPNjnwNLevNwoRRqPAKkZ8Fqnukc
I won the poetry contest!! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=219714.40 Thank You, Sir Lambert!!
+5 Rep: Successful Forum Transactions: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=176117.0  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=209024.0 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=233052 Check My Rep!!
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:35:35 PM

Yeah I agree, but it's simple, just put both stats up. I don't think it's a bad idea, it just is incomplete.

I also don't know of many forums that don't display your post count next to your name, it's just weird, so let's get this fixed!!

If you really want that badly enough, change your theme. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;sa=theme

Luciddd

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:37:17 PM

I'm really confused by this and I'm sure other people will be too.

What is the point of this "activity" thing if someone wants to see the amount of posts? A lot of newer people and anyone in general will probably be confused as well..

I don't think I like this activity thing, maybe also show the amount of posts someone posted next to it?

jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:41:38 PM

I'm really confused by this and I'm sure other people will be too.

What is the point of this "activity" thing if someone wants to see the amount of posts? A lot of newer people and anyone in general will probably be confused as well..

I don't think I like this activity thing, maybe also show the amount of posts someone posted next to it?

Again, how is it any useful? Do you value more a post when you see a high number at its left?

The point was to stop all the spam that took place only to get the hero status. That will definitely solve this.

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:43:18 PM

Maybe just... 'Member'?

OK.

I don't like it.

It embodies the assumption that any post above once per day (averaged over two weeks) is not contributing; which I do not agree with.

I look at it more like this: Everyone can easily write one post per day without creating spam, but even two posts per day would IMO start to incentivize people to spam two posts per day in order to inflate their score. It's more important to me that this number be resistant to manipulation, not that it be representative of all of a person's contributions.

Time spent logged in will also be useful to include as a component.

That can be manipulated very easily, so it's useless for something like this.

And you should consider more sophisticated metrics such as sum of f(x) over all two-week periods, f(x) being x / (1 + sqrt(x/14)) or x / (1 + x/28).

Why is that better? I'm not sure that it can be done very easily/efficiently.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
TomUnderSea

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:55:37 PM

That is a bit of an assumption on your part.

I post because I have something that I believe is worth contributing.  I'm not one to run around doing +1 posts or playing "count to 100,000" games.

The past system provided some credit for my contributions.  It is not clear that credit was worth anything but judging from the angst in this thread, it matters to some.

I will still likely read many threads and reply on the ones where I feel I can add value but the new system no longer gives me any incentive to do that more than once every two weeks.  Since I can spend time posting here or spend time doing other fun and enjoyable things (hobbies, family time, work), the new system is a disincentive for me.

Your results may vary.

jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:59:53 PM

I post because I have something that I believe is worth contributing.  I'm not one to run around doing +1 posts or playing "count to 100,000" games.

The past system provided some credit for my contributions.  It is not clear that credit was worth anything but judging from the angst in this thread, it matters to some.

I will still likely read many threads and reply on the ones where I feel I can add value but the new system no longer gives me any incentive to do that more than once every two weeks.  Since I can spend time posting here or spend time doing other fun and enjoyable things (hobbies, family time, work), the new system is a disincentive for me.

Your results may vary.

So you need credit in order to enjoy posting.
Again, you're exactly the point of the new system.

JordanL
Donator

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:03:15 PM

This is bullshit! I was less than 40 posts way from being a Hero, and now I'm not quite even Sr??!! That's it, I'm outta here.

Totally kidding. I much prefer this new system personally. People have always put way too much stake in the "Sr/Hero" titles... at least now only veterans will get them.

Thanks for your continued efforts upgrading the forum, theymos. Great stuff.
TomUnderSea

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:03:36 PM

Don't tell me you are here only to get that hero member tag.

Actually, now Hero Member finally means something and not only that I was able to make 500 posts in the "first word that pops into your head" thread.

Not particularly concerned with being a "hero" member.  Most of the heros I know are dead.  The few that are still with us are pretty dark inside.

Actually the very idea that some metric of post count and days as a member makes someone more trustworthy is asinine.  Personally, I find the ability to see every post made by a particular member more useful than some post count metric.  I have made it a point to read all the posts of anyone I have done business with.  It is time consuming but much better at giving me a sense of who they are.

jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:07:03 PM

Don't tell me you are here only to get that hero member tag.

Not particularly concerned with being a "hero" member.  Most of the heros I know are dead.  The few that are still with us are pretty dark inside.

Actually the very idea that some metric of post count and days as a member makes someone more trustworthy is asinine.  Personally, I find the ability to see every post made by a particular member more useful than some post count metric.  I have made it a point to read all the posts of anyone I have done business with.  It is time consuming but much better at giving me a sense of who they are.

See how people are crying, just imagine if theymos just removed the post count without putting any stat at all

TomUnderSea

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:11:50 PM

Your results may vary.

Single track much?

I actually would prefer a "comment karma" system similar to reddit.  I appreciate (positive or negative) feedback from my peers on posts I make.  Allowing others to see that cumulative total would give them a sense of the value of any post I make.

Using post counts or days on the site or some "activity" metric as a foundation for trust is stupid.

JordanL
Donator

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:13:58 PM

Your results may vary.

Single track much?

I actually would prefer a "comment karma" system similar to reddit.  I appreciate (positive or negative) feedback from my peers on posts I make.  Allowing others to see that cumulative total would give them a sense of the value of any post I make.

Using post counts or days on the site or some "activity" metric as a foundation for trust is stupid.

That is a good idea to have along side the activity feature!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... 70 »
  Print  

Jump to: