Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:58:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: best movie you have ever seen in your life  (Read 4707 times)
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:04:33 PM

terminator 1

Really?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 05:18:52 PM

Maybe they just have not seen very many movies?

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
FirstAscent

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 05:27:00 PM

Maybe they just have not seen very many movies?

My thoughts exactly. I try and introduce people to whole new genres and film canons in these threads.
bassclef

Activity: 924

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 05:30:27 PM

The Deer Hunter

A little long (the wedding scene in particular), but a deeply moving movie.
papaminer

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Free World

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2013, 05:30:36 PM

DESPICABLE ME 2

bwahahahahaha

฿: 1L7dSte4Rs4KyyxRCgrqSWYtkXdAb4Gy1z

MORE INFO ABOUT ME: BTC
FirstAscent

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 05:37:17 PM

To many of you,

Some explanations, please.

Popping in and sniping off a name of a film doesn't really lend integrity or validity to one's choice. Try and demonstrate some cinematic knowledge, or at least show that this forum isn't mostly comprised of just a bunch of twelve year olds.

Posting a title and running is not really indicative of one who is interested in discourse on the subject.
FirstAscent

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 06:34:11 PM

Martin Scorsese goes into some nice detail into the methods, time and expense of a full film restoration. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjv755LkaIE
3nrg

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 06:46:08 PM

Grand Torino.  Best I've recently seen.  I'm a big Clint Eastwood fan and this movie hit home for me.  It made me reflect on my relationship with my parents and how I never want to become someone who takes those we love for granted.  The ending when they go through his will was probably my favorite ending of any movie.  Kind of leaves a lump in ones throat.  So many of us think the world owes us something... not sure why... seems to be a generational thing though.  It's like the silver spoon of living in a first world country has messed with our moral compass in some way.  I know I'm being stereotypical and painting everyone with the same brush but that's just how I view, in general, most of society... I know there are many many great people out there but we all need to put ourselves in check sometimes.
FirstAscent

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 06:51:40 PM

Grand Torino.  Best I've recently seen.  I'm a big Clint Eastwood fan and this movie hit home for me.  It made me reflect on my relationship with my parents and how I never want to become someone who takes those we love for granted.  The ending when they go through his will was probably my favorite ending of any movie.  Kind of leaves a lump in ones throat.  So many of us think the world owes us something... not sure why... seems to be a generational thing though.  It's like the silver spoon of living in a first world country has messed with our moral compass in some way.  I know I'm being stereotypical and painting everyone with the same brush but that's just how I view, in general, most of society... I know there are many many great people out there but we all need to put ourselves in check sometimes.

Thank you so much for the thoughtful post, demonstrating your appreciation for the film, and an insightful take on how a film can be perceived and affect someone. You've also, indirectly, showed what components in a film, among perhaps others, speak to you.
ibminer
Legendary

Activity: 1821
Merit: 2792

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2013, 07:09:25 PM

Tough to narrow down... mostly old school, its tough to find good movies these days.
Surprised office space hasn't made it to the list yet, so I will start there!

Office Space
The Big Lebowski (just fun to watch for some reason... many good scenes, but its just fun watching Jesus bowl and hearing a spanish version of hotel california - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6z0Zay9itk)
Caddyshack
The Goonies (That's right, I like The Goonies!)
Old School
Shawshank Redemption
The Hangover
40 year old virgin
Rainman
The Wizard of Oz
Pulp Fiction
Idiocracy (because its happening!  Shocked)
Independance Day (because its going to happen!   Shocked)

Damnsammit

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 07:21:49 PM

The Big Lebowski (just fun to watch for some reason... many good scenes, but its just fun watching Jesus bowl and hearing a spanish version of hotel california - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6z0Zay9itk)

You said it man.  Nobody fucks with teh Jesus.

sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 07:28:55 PM

Gladiator
Shawshank Redemption
Last Samurai
A Beautiful Mind
Man On Fire
Pianist
Finding Nemo
LOTR 1 and 2
God Father 1 & 2
Scarface
Hotel Rwanda
The notebook
Fearless/Hero

Hindi
-----
Veer Zaara
Black
Khabi Khush Khabi Ghaam

FirstAscent

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 09:05:23 PM

I can't wait to see The Life of Oharu sometime this week. It's one of Kenji Mizoguchi's masterpieces. I've been looking forward to it for months. It stars Kinuyo Tanaka. She gave great performances in:

Equinox Flower
The Ballad of Narayama
Ugetsu
Sansho the Bailiff

I also want to see her in:

Ornamental Hairpin
Red Beard
3nrg

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 05:08:07 AM

I can't wait to see The Life of Oharu sometime this week. It's one of Kenji Mizoguchi's masterpieces. I've been looking forward to it for months. It stars Kinuyo Tanaka. She gave great performances in:

Equinox Flower
The Ballad of Narayama
Ugetsu
Sansho the Bailiff

I also want to see her in:

Ornamental Hairpin
Red Beard

Well thanks to you too.  Nice to hear back as you are very nice and intelligent.  You made me smile... it is nice to know there's a few respectful and thoughtful people floating around on here!  Your movie selections were very unique to me.  I'll have to look into them  Cheesy
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 07:51:26 AM

Sansho the Bailiff

Sansho Dayu was awesome. I don't think I've ever seen such an intense emotional rollercoaster before or after.
Dougie

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

You are not special.

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 08:53:41 AM

Donnie Darko
Requiem for a Dream
Jacob's Ladder
From your picture I thought it would have been Eraserhead... It was a pretty bizarre film.

Lurking since 2011...
1J4DhU3q6RxxCTfAAcg5ExVK6FfxkmzkTH
ccl

Activity: 175
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 09:58:48 AM

Muru Ami
Jose Rizal
Postmen in the Mountains
3 idiots
Azumi
The Blind Swordsman: Satoichi
Ninja Assasin
The Abyss
ET
Star Wars
LOTR

above list are some of my favorites..action, drama, adventure, journey...life

BTC.sx - Leveraged Bitcoin Trading.
Get paid weekly for your signature.

1GTJ2DhqSPHBTEjG7GCjz6XLYZhU1hEz2a - thanks for donating Smiley
FirstAscent

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 04:52:42 PM
Last edit: July 11, 2013, 05:07:07 PM by FirstAscent

Sansho the Bailiff

Sansho Dayu was awesome. I don't think I've ever seen such an intense emotional rollercoaster before or after.

Anju, how I long for you.
Isn't life torture?

How a song found a mother's children. Such a beautiful and tragic story. The last ten minutes were intense and powerful.

Kenji Mizoguchi, the director, is one of the big four. The four are Yasujiro Ozu, Akira Kurosawa, Mikio Naruse, and of course, Kenji Mizoguchi. If you haven't explored the classic film canon of mid 20th Century Japanese cinema, aside from Sansho Dayu, no better time to start than now.

Since you're familiar with Sansho the Bailiff, then you might be aware that the mother was played by Kinuyo Tanaka. Much earlier in this thread, I mentioned a wonderful Yasujiro Ozu film starring Kinuyo Tanaka. It was Equinox Flower. Ozu is pretty much universally praised as one of the greatest directors of all time. In practical terms, what does that mean? It means that everyone who gets familiar with his work absolutely loves it. I earnestly encourage you to explore not just the films of the big four, but also films by these semi contemporaries of the big four: Keisuke Kinoshita, Masahiro Shinoda, Shohei Imamura, Nagasi Oshima, and Masaki Kobayashi.  

But first, since you've seen Sansho the Bailiff, let's take a deeper look at what others are saying.

David Bordwell on Mizoguchi and Sansho the Bailiff:
http://www.davidbordwell.net/books/figures_intro.php?ss=3

Roger Ebert lists Sansho the Bailiff as one of the 'Great Films' and gives it four stars:
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-sansho-the-bailiff-1954

Two articles from Criterion:
http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/2678-sansho-the-bailiff-the-lessons-of-sansho
http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/960-sansho-the-bailiff
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 06:10:52 PM

Sansho the Bailiff

Isn't life torture?

How a song found a mother's children. Such a beautiful and tragic story. The last ten minutes were intense and powerful.

Kenji Mizoguchi, the director, is one of the big four. The four are Yasujiro Ozu, Akira Kurosawa, Mikio Naruse, and of course, Kenji Mizoguchi. If you haven't explored the classic film canon of mid 20th Century Japanese cinema, aside from Sansho Dayu, no better time to start than now.

Since you're familiar with Sansho the Bailiff, then you might be aware that the mother was played by Kinuyo Tanaka. Much earlier in this thread, I mentioned a wonderful Yasujiro Ozu film starring Kinuyo Tanaka. It was Equinox Flower. Ozu is pretty much universally praised as one of the greatest directors of all time. In practical terms, what does that mean? It means that everyone who gets familiar with his work absolutely loves it. I earnestly encourage you to explore not just the films of the big four, but also films by these semi contemporaries of the big four: Keisuke Kinoshita, Masahiro Shinoda, Shohei Imamura, Nagasi Oshima, and Masaki Kobayashi.  

But first, since you've seen Sansho the Bailiff, let's take a deeper look at what others are saying.

Roger Ebert lists Sansho the Bailiff as one of the 'Great Films' and gives it four stars:

http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/2678-sansho-the-bailiff-the-lessons-of-sansho

The 50s were indeed a great time for Japanese movies. The emotional impact of some of these are staggering. I suspect this has much to do with the healing the Japanese psyche needed after Hiroshima.

Other favorites of mine from that time:
- Kurosawas Ikiru, Rashomon and The Seven Samurai of course
- Ugetsu monogatari, which you already mentioned
- Ozu's Tokyo mongatari is another treat dealing with the mental break between Taisho-era Japan (agrarian, slow, reserved) and the brash, industrial, hurried Showa-era Japan symbolized in the struggles of a family.

FirstAscent

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 06:39:44 PM

Sansho the Bailiff

Isn't life torture?

The 50s were indeed a great time for Japanese movies. The emotional impact of some of these are staggering. I suspect this has much to do with the healing the Japanese psyche needed after Hiroshima.

Other favorites of mine from that time:
- Kurosawas Ikiru, Rashomon and The Seven Samurai of course
- Ugetsu monogatari, which you already mentioned
- Ozu's Tokyo mongatari is another treat dealing with the mental break between Taisho-era Japan (agrarian, slow, reserved) and the brash, industrial, hurried Showa-era Japan symbolized in the struggles of a family.

I've seen all of those, except for Ikiru, which I have on DVD, so it's on my list.

Regarding Ugetsu, the lead is played by Masayuki Mori, who also is in Rashomon. He also appears in two other films which I absolutely love. They are Kurosawa's The Idiot, and Mikio Naruse's When a Woman Ascends the Stairs. I wholeheartedly encourage you to get into the Mikio Naruse films, pretty much all starring Hideko Takamine.

As for Ozu's Tokyo Story (Tokyo mongatari), if you haven't seen these other Ozu titles, watch them as soon as you can:

Late Spring
Early Summer
Tokyo Twilight
Equinox Flower
Late Autumn
The End of Summer
Floating Weeds
An Autumn Afternoon

Regarding Setsuko Hara, who was in Tokyo Story, she's also in Late Spring, Early Summer, Tokyo Twilight, Late Autumn and The End of Summer. But she's also in Kurosawa's The Idiot. And she's also in another gem of Kurosawa's: No Regrets for our Youth. She's also in Mikio Naruse's Sound of the Mountain, which I haven't seen yet.

And then regarding Hideko Takamine, who I mentioned was in Mikio Naruse's When a Woman Ascends the Stairs, she also gives a wonderful performance in Keisuke Kinoshita's Twenty-four Eyes. That's another one of those films where the last ten minutes is just amazingly powerful.

No doubt your familiar with Toshiro Mifune, appearing in so many Kurosawa films. He also gives a wonderful performance in Hiroshi Inagaki's Samurai Trilogy. That trilogy also stars Mariko Okada, who gave a feisty performance in Ozu's Late Autumn.

And speaking of actresses named Mariko, an absolute must watch is Masahiro Shinoda's Pale Flower, starring the incredibly beautiful Mariko Kaga.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: