Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:48:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Which USB hub to use with Block Erupters | NanoFury NF1 | BPMC Red Fury | Ant U1  (Read 128520 times)
DBordello

Activity: 349
Merit: 250

BTCPak.com - Exchange your Bitcoins for MP!

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 01:11:06 PM

I am thinking of grabbing a bunch of these:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/DISTRIBUTED-BY-MCM-CK-0027G-/83-11765

They are available from a local store for $6.75, and have a 3.5A power supply ( I physically looked in the box).  Due to the configuration, I only think 6 ports would be usable though.  However, that is pushing $1/port!

I wouldn't get my hopes up with that one. They are all over ebay for cheap. I have seen specs on it stating 1Amp total. Also, the specs at your link don't compute. 2.5Amp cannot provide 500mA to 7 ports.

I guess for $6.75 it wouldn't hurt to give it a try though-maybe your comes with a different AC adapter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161054576343

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160691080418

Output: DC 5V 1000mA
Plug standard: US/UK/EU (choose the suitable adapter as you like)
Operation Systems: Windows Vista, Windows XP, ME, 2000, 98, Linux 9 and Mac OS 10.2 or above
Working humidity: 10% - 90%
Working voltage: 5V
Working current: 500mA

The one sold by my local retailer have a power supply that states 3.5A.  Hopefully that is accurate. 

I am thinking of grabbing a bunch of these:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/DISTRIBUTED-BY-MCM-CK-0027G-/83-11765

They are available from a local store for $6.75, and have a 3.5A power supply ( I physically looked in the box).  Due to the configuration, I only think 6 ports would be usable though.  However, that is pushing $1/port!

Yeah, this only powers 2 miners! I have one and hate it. I hope you did not buy any of these yet.

What size power supply came with it? 

Do we believe that the power supply may not meet its specifications?

www.BTCPak.com - Exchange your bitcoins for MP: Secure, Anonymous and Easy!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SamHa1n

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 02:19:30 PM

I'm running hundreds of them, for weeks now, with cheapest hubs I could find on amazon, at sauna level ambient temps that make bfl devices cower in perpetual throttle down. Per port cost ~$3 per port, including the power source. 5 minutes or less of soldering per hub.

twitami1

Activity: 322
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 02:32:10 PM

So, can you daisy chain hubs? I have five of the Anker 10 port hubs, but only 4 USB ports on the PC, can I just chain the 5th one to one of the others?

Thanks!
lano1106

Activity: 112

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 04:02:38 PM

I'm running hundreds of them, for weeks now, with cheapest hubs I could find on amazon, at sauna level ambient temps that make bfl devices cower in perpetual throttle down. Per port cost ~$3 per port, including the power source. 5 minutes or less of soldering per hub.

what are you soldering exactly? Is this has something to do with customizing the hub PSU?

I have seen PC PSUs in several BE rig pictures and the concept of hub mod is intriguing to me.

I have power issues with a 10 ports Anker hub. With 8 BEs it is unstable. Need to experiment with 7 but with 6, it is rock solid.

However this makes my price per port pretty high.

I would be open to go to the electric shop and get necessary parts to do some PSU mods if this can improve my situation.

BTC: 1ABewnrZgCds7w9RH43NwMHX5Px6ex5uNR
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 04:23:37 PM

https://i.imgur.com/t6wjhlN.jpg

I take it you are using a custom power solution ? I'm going to hazard a guess you are not driving 9 Erupters on that hub with the stock power adapter ?
dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 07:33:15 PM

Pidge explained his modification of these hubs. They are available cheap on ebay.
The original power source is only 1Amp though so major upgrade needed.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=253749.msg2876787#msg2876787
OtaconEmmerich

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 01:16:05 AM
Last edit: August 08, 2013, 01:41:54 AM by OtaconEmmerich

Just got my Digital Innovations 7-Port USB Hub in, So far It's been running 5 miners fine with a desktop fan blowing a nice breeze on it for most of the afternoon. My question is, is it normal for the Wallwart to get VERY warm and buzz slightly? Would it be a good idea to unplug a miner? I've got it plugged into my PC's Surge protector with a extension cord if it matters.
galtbit

Activity: 231

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 01:29:03 AM

Just got my Digital Innovations 7-Port USB Hub in, So far It's been running 5 miners fine with a desktop fan blowing a nice breeze on it for most of the afternoon. My question is, is it normal for the Wallmart to get VERY warm and buzz slightly? Would it be a good idea to unplug a miner? I've got it plugged into my PC's Surge protector with a extension cord if it matters.

+1!

My Digital Innovations hubs have five BE's each.

screen shot in windows
dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 01:36:42 AM

Just got my Digital Innovations 7-Port USB Hub in, So far It's been running 5 miners fine with a desktop fan blowing a nice breeze on it for most of the afternoon. My question is, is it normal for the Wallmart to get VERY warm and buzz slightly? Would it be a good idea to unplug a miner? I've got it plugged into my PC's Surge protector with a extension cord if it matters.

I have been using the digital innovations hub with 5 miners since May. No buzzing from the AC adapter.  Can you exchange it?
OtaconEmmerich

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 01:50:00 AM

I have been using the digital innovations hub with 5 miners since May. No buzzing from the AC adapter.  Can you exchange it?
I ordered it via Amazon, I'd rather not bother with that. It's not a loud buzz, I pretty much have to get my ear within inches of it to hear it. I'm more worried about it getting too warm.
merv77

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

1.21 GIGA WATTS

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 02:34:27 AM

+1!

My Digital Innovations hubs have five BE's each.

screen shot in windows

you've got them plugged in, but are they hashing ok? getting many errors?
in the photo the LEDs are on solid, and that means they're not hashing. correct?
that's how my USB erupter's LEDs operate.
OtaconEmmerich

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 02:43:23 AM

Power plugs are on the side of the hubs, Facing away from the Camera. Weird place to put it I know.
suprabitz

Activity: 148

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 02:59:37 AM

how do you chain them together? do you have 10 ports feeding into a 10 port hub? i've run into wierd problems with some miners randomly not launching when chaining hubs
galtbit

Activity: 231

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 03:08:01 AM

When I took the picture I was just excited to see them light up.  They are hashing away great as far as I can see.  They did stop being solid when I ran the BFGMIner and only blip away now.  So far so good.  I'm wondering about daisychaining USB hubs as well.  Or should one hub per port on the computer be the way to go?  I can't locate an answer.
merv77

Activity: 574

1.21 GIGA WATTS

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 03:40:22 AM

how do you chain them together? do you have 10 ports feeding into a 10 port hub? i've run into wierd problems with some miners randomly not launching when chaining hubs
have you cut the RED wire in the USB cable..?

I'm not sure how your hubs work, but when the hubs are powered through the power supply there's no need for the RED wire in the USB cable.

If it's not cut then you'll get one hub powering the other via the RED wire.
you can test this 'power-backing' theory by plugging one hub without the power supply plugged in, into a hub which has the power supply plugged in and then plug one usb erupter in the hub without the power supply and you'll probably see it power up.  It's safer to cut the RED wire, because if a power supply fails then only erupters in that hub go down.  Otherwise more will go down as more power supplies get overloaded.

If you're not sure about what I'm talking about, reply and I'll try and take a couple pics of what I did to my cables.
pyra-proxy

Activity: 490

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 03:54:01 AM

This is the problem I ran into with the monoprice hub and why I had to come back and issue a correction to 6 units instead of 7 being supported on them, at least in my case they were just barely short on the power, or the block erupters used just barely too much and then I'd get them randomly not found when starting my miner or some started showing 100% HW errors, as soon as I dropped 1 erupter off each of the hubs then they all started working flawlessly.  So make sure you have enough power.

Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2013, 08:08:43 AM

[joke]No, no, no, cut the green wire first, then the red one, or it'll blow![/joke]

My 30 BEs arrived yesterday, while I only have 3 D-Links in hand (with 2 more + RPi on the way estimated tomorrow).

So far, all 3 D-Links run stably with 6 Erupters each and no daisy chaining. The remaining BEs were spread all the available ports that I could find.  Grin

The only caveat so far is that D-Links' power units are rather warm to the touch.

Once I have the remaining hubs and RPi in place, I plan to connect 4 D-Links via a powered 4-porter hub that I had from before to one of RPi's USB ports and the remaining D-Link directly to the other port. That way I hope to run all 30 off one RPi. I'll report back with some pics over the week-end.

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
aurel57
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 09:22:22 AM

I'm not sure how your hubs work, but when the hubs are powered through the power supply there's no need for the RED wire in the USB cable.

you can test this 'power-backing' theory by plugging one hub without the power supply plugged in, into a hub which has the power supply plugged in and then plug one usb erupter in the hub without the power supply and you'll probably see it power up.  It's safer to cut the RED wire, because if a power supply fails then only erupters in that hub go down.  Otherwise more will go down as more power supplies get overloaded.

If you're not sure about what I'm talking about, reply and I'll try and take a couple pics of what I did to my cables.

Is what your saying if the red wire is not cut and you lose one power adaptor on a hub that  it will then want to overload the next hub's power adaptor and make it blow as well.

I have a 5v 40a power supply coming, have my 5.5mm power plugs and more of the cheap 10 port hubs (like in the picture above) coming and plan on powering to start four 10 port hubs with the ability to add another four in the future.
DBordello

Activity: 349
Merit: 250

BTCPak.com - Exchange your Bitcoins for MP!

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2013, 12:43:43 PM

Is what your saying if the red wire is not cut and you lose one power adaptor on a hub that  it will then want to overload the next hub's power adaptor and make it blow as well.

I have a 5v 40a power supply coming, have my 5.5mm power plugs and more of the cheap 10 port hubs (like in the picture above) coming and plan on powering to start four 10 port hubs with the ability to add another four in the future.

Would you mind posting links to the hubs, DC power plug and power supply?

www.BTCPak.com - Exchange your bitcoins for MP: Secure, Anonymous and Easy!
SamHa1n

Activity: 60

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 01:13:57 PM

Great point about the red wire and back feeding power to hubs if one psu goes down.

Today, I am switching over to 90 amp psu's and using the 10 amp models to power small 6Gh/s (18 eruptors, 1 fan, 1 wifi stick) rPi units.

With barrel connectors, I found the screw terminal ones from amazon to be garbage at higher amperage, eventually burning out and sometime melting apart in the process. Most likely you can use any connector that is crimp or soldered, or premade (as long as it's a decent wire thickness). It wasn't the female aspect of connector on hub that shit the bed, it was my cheap male ends, so soldering leads directly to usb pcb is most likely overkill and not needed if quality wire and connectors are used.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  

Jump to: