Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:16:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 91 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ActiveMining Overview and Speculation Thread  (Read 167819 times)
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 08:10:32 PM

Yeah, obviously it won't happen because cointerra is going to destroy you first.  Pff.

They'll also destroy Ice.Drill, of course.

So Cointerra will be superior to ActiveMining?

Look at the difference between bitfury and KnC.  Bitfury has better power efficiency, even though they're 55nm and KnC is 28nm. The difference is bitfury is a 'full custom' ASIC while KnC is a standard-cell design.

It's likely that HF and Cointerra are using full custom designs. Their performance is probably pretty similar, and really fast. 16-20x the speed of ActM's FPGA copy design. I doubt it's because they use 16-20 as much die space.

Because they need to mount fewer chips per board, their boards may be cheaper as well.

So Active Mining will never have a proper ASIC, is that what you are saying, and Cointerra do?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2013, 08:20:31 PM

Look at the difference between bitfury and KnC.  Bitfury has better power efficiency, even though they're 55nm and KnC is 28nm. The difference is bitfury is a 'full custom' ASIC while KnC is a standard-cell design.

It's likely that HF and Cointerra are using full custom designs. Their performance is probably pretty similar, and really fast. 16-20x the speed of ActM's FPGA copy design. I doubt it's because they use 16-20 as much die space.

Is this mostly the overhead of standard cell vs. custom or to a greater part due to the different design approach (if there is much difference, I have no idea)? Also 16-20x more space taken by structured ASIC vs. custom? I assumed there has to be a significant difference, but I never imagined it would be that great.

sayaz

Activity: 119
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 07:30:53 AM

Ah very convenient, you forgot to mention all the holes in the Cointerra plot thus far

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=292998.msg3138976#msg3138976

aaaaaaand ignored.

All the best with labcon.

Skeptic > blind faith
N_S

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 09:51:35 AM

Look at the difference between bitfury and KnC.  Bitfury has better power efficiency, even though they're 55nm and KnC is 28nm. The difference is bitfury is a 'full custom' ASIC while KnC is a standard-cell design.
Interesting.
That reinforces what I was complaining about from the start: InactiveMining's shareholders still stop any thinking at "28 nm".

Here's the thing, they are going to have chips eventually, but they won't be profitable enough and no one will want them.
And I'm not saying that because I want your "cheap shares".

pankkake, just out of curiosity, which mining companies do you feel are wise investments?

I see you pissing on every parade you come across. So please, enlighten us...
VolanicEruptor

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 09:55:22 AM

Look at the difference between bitfury and KnC.  Bitfury has better power efficiency, even though they're 55nm and KnC is 28nm. The difference is bitfury is a 'full custom' ASIC while KnC is a standard-cell design.
Interesting.
That reinforces what I was complaining about from the start: InactiveMining's shareholders still stop any thinking at "28 nm".

Here's the thing, they are going to have chips eventually, but they won't be profitable enough and no one will want them.

So looking for betters is even less respectable than trying to scoop up cheap shares.  Obviously if Ken was able to price his product competively then his cost to produce them is competitive as well.

crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 11:02:08 AM

pankkake, just out of curiosity, which mining companies do you feel are wise investments?

I see you pissing on every parade you come across. So please, enlighten us...

What you got goin' on here is *not* a parade Cheesy

"Just keep punching, Joe."
zefyr0s

Activity: 245

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 12:59:40 PM

Crumbs I'm curious, which securities do you actually have a valid positive interest in? Or do you not like bitcoin at all?
crumbs

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 01:18:59 PM

Crumbs I'm curious, which securities do you actually have a valid positive interest in? Or do you not like bitcoin at all?

Securities?  What made you think of that?  Surely not this muppetry.
As far as bitcoin goes, i love it.  You, otoh, are not doing it any favors.  Not by being a willing victim, and certainly not by funding centralized mining.
Thanks for shitting it up for the rest of us.
zefyr0s

Activity: 245

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 01:21:24 PM

Ahh okay, so it's the whole of the mining securities. So why do you give ActM so much gruff? Because they'll be mining in addition to distributing hash to customers? If they were only selling Asic's you would have no gripe with them at all?
crumbs

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 01:39:05 PM

Ahh okay, so it's the whole of the mining securities. So why do you give ActM so much gruff? Because they'll be mining in addition to distributing hash to customers? If they were only selling Asic's you would have no gripe with them at all?

ASICs are a weird topic for me.  I love the pure tech side, but hate everything else brought to the table.  The closest analogy i can think of is the nuclear arms race.  Plus greed.  You can't separate ASIC manufacture from centralized mining.  Something like that.
VolanicEruptor

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 03:35:27 PM

ASICs are a weird topic for me.  I love the pure tech side, but hate everything else brought to the table.  The closest analogy i can think of is the nuclear arms race.  Plus greed.  You can't separate ASIC manufacture from centralized mining.  Something like that.

You're hard to take seriously.. you can stop now  Cheesy Go back to the funny pictures please

creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 03:56:30 PM

You're hard to take seriously.. you can stop now  Cheesy Go back to the funny pictures please

Why do you say that? Everything he/she just said echoes a sentiment shared by many.

VolanicEruptor

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 04:05:28 PM

that was more of a stab at crumbs than the philosophy ..
I picture crumbs as a 10 year old girl in a cheerleading uniform, I CANNOT take him seriously.   Cheesy

jinyoubei

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 09:05:06 PM

Please forgive my rudeness.

But pankkake can you share with us which two?

I really don't feel like recommending mining companies and will obviously be accused to "pump" them anyway. So far all new companies seem to want gullible investor "this is the next AsicMiner" money to have zero risk themselves; I think the new successful ones won't be publicly funded.

I am still invested in two but certainly do not plan to invest more.
LorenzoMoney

Activity: 335

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 01:49:22 PM

Volanic:

The idea that you or any adult man would picture anyone as a 10 year old girl in a cheer leading uniform is very creepy.

Despite that, crumbs' motivation for trolling this thread is a mystery, not one I contemplate for more than a nanosecond or two.  WHy would someone spend so much time attacking a concept, stock, or idea on an online forum?

I can undertsnad someone being a troll-creep on a philosophy, politics or religion forum where everyone is right or everyone is wrong, but here, in Bitcoinland, he who holds the most bitcoin is the winner.

In November, when the ActM/VMC products start being produced, whatever anyone says won't matter. When the stock price goes up, it won't matter. Crumbs'  is amusing the way that annoying person at the town meeting is, who always interrupts and demands his free speech rights and eventually gets thrown out.  Just why does anyone sepnd so much time being a troll? Doesn't crumbs have friends, a dog? An arduino that needs programming?

At this time, ActM is a bargain. If you do not believe in Act< long term, please, please, please sell all your shares. Yes, sell and make the stock price drop really low. There are those of us who are patient who will thank you for allowing us to buy your shares.

I picture crumbs as a 10 year old girl in a cheerleading uniform, I CANNOT take him seriously.   Cheesy

https://twitter.com/Lorenzo_Money -- Bitcoin Address: 1EttqaSSCksRAXrwejoChs5zmGjSikN9mC -- http://lorenzomoney.wordpress.com/
The Bulk of mankind is as well equipped for flying as thinking. - Jonathan Swift
DOGE COIN address: DSYMgD1HfmJFwNuc6Zvhp7PkrVD1QRBsgu
crumbs

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 02:03:49 PM

Volanic:

The idea that you or any adult man would picture anyone as a 10 year old girl in a cheer leading uniform is very creepy.

Despite that, crumbs' motivation for trolling this thread is a mystery, not one I contemplate for more than a nanosecond or two.  WHy would someone spend so much time attacking a concept, stock, or idea on an online forum?

A mystery indeed, especially when you're still bewildered by the "Got your nose!" trick.
Things will become clearer as you grow up.  Or they won't. 
VolanicEruptor

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 05:31:14 PM

Volanic:

I can undertsnad someone being a troll-creep on a philosophy, politics or religion forum where everyone is right or everyone is wrong, but here, in Bitcoinland, he who holds the most bitcoin is the winner.

In November, when the ActM/VMC products start being produced, whatever anyone says won't matter. When the stock price goes up, it won't matter. Crumbs'  is amusing the way that annoying person at the town meeting is, who always interrupts and demands his free speech rights and eventually gets thrown out.  Just why does anyone sepnd so much time being a troll? Doesn't crumbs have friends, a dog? An arduino that needs programming?

At this time, ActM is a bargain. If you do not believe in Act< long term, please, please, please sell all your shares. Yes, sell and make the stock price drop really low. There are those of us who are patient who will thank you for allowing us to buy your shares.

Why are you directing this all at me, everyone knows I'm invested long-term with Activemining.  I'm not selling you my shares, bitch.  lol

Vycid

Activity: 336

♫ the AM bear who cares ♫

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 07:12:38 PM

Interesting.

Cointerra will be a full-custom 28nm.

They are going to dominate.

N_S

Activity: 238

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 08:10:12 PM

Once again, there is no single company that has a monopoly on profit. Many companies will remain competitive.
Vycid

Activity: 336

♫ the AM bear who cares ♫

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 08:31:32 PM

Once again, there is no single company that has a monopoly on profit. Many companies will remain competitive.

If one company can offer cost/gigahash at a lower price point than their competition can even produce, then the only limiting factor is production volumes.

Pages: « 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 91 »
  Print  

Jump to: