Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:23:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinTerra announces its first ASIC - Hash-Rate greater than 500 GH/s  (Read 230752 times)
davewr2013

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Bitcoin For All

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 06:18:04 PM

Wellllll I guess that the way I am going to handle this from now on is that all my purchases be quoted as "CIH" -- Chips in Hand! Or perhaps -- CIH - NS -- Chips in Hand or NO SALE!

All these tales of woe wet my eyes -- but thanks for the heads up from everyone on these pre-order "deals".

Give me this day my daily Bitcoin...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
greenbtc

Activity: 210

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 06:33:03 PM

The pricing better be darned sweet or december won't be worth it.

Where'd they say December? Late 2013 could mean Oct - November.

Although I'd agree, by December unless Bitcoin price rises substantially I think there will have to be a pricing shakeup in the ASIC market.

It says late Q4. Late Q4 is not October - November in the business world. Late Q4 is at the very least, after Thanksgiving, and generally would reference December (and possibly late November).
Threader

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 09:35:31 PM

i refuse to pre-order ... no more! Angry

What he said  Grin
LZ
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1072

P2P Cryptocurrency

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 03:17:21 PM

Hey, where has Dr. David Tannenbaum disappeared? Huh

My OpenPGP fingerprint: 5099EB8C0F2E68C63B4ECBB9A9D0993E04143362
Loredo

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 03:33:36 PM

Yes, it does appear on the website as though Dr. Dave is gone, and Dr. Naveed has moved up to onto the "active" row.  

I would be surprised if there is not very rapid mutation of business planning at CoinTerra, just as there evidently has been at HashFast (or FastHash; I'll never be able to really know which way it is).  

It just isn't the pre-order slam dunk market of the spring any more.
WastedLTC

Activity: 776
Merit: 536

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 04:50:33 PM

The day when you can order X hashing power and get X return the next day is much like the GPU era.    The return is very little and you pray to god that BTC doesn't plummet in price.     It will be interesting but I feel many ASIC vendors will fold if some are able to produce efficient, powerful machines that can be assembled and mailed immediately.  This will all play out this year...    gonna get c r a z y.

cointerra (OP)

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2013, 05:37:39 PM

Yes, it does appear on the website as though Dr. Dave is gone, and Dr. Naveed has moved up to onto the "active" row.  

I would be surprised if there is not very rapid mutation of business planning at CoinTerra, just as there evidently has been at HashFast (or FastHash; I'll never be able to really know which way it is).  

It just isn't the pre-order slam dunk market of the spring any more.

Dr David likes his privacy, so his name has been removed from the website.

www.cointerra.com - Professional grade Bitcoin mining equipment.
If you have any questions for us, we're happy to help at info (at) cointerra (dot) com
deadgiveaway

Activity: 182

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 06:14:55 PM

I'm suspicious of Cointerra. They are entering a market of consumers who have been fucked and misled by every ASIC mining company. Why are they any different than anyone else? All these companies have proven to be motivated by the dream of printing money, just as much as their consumers are motivated to throw money at them to finance their dreams, and then never get their product. So, big deal, Cointerra has access to better technology, does this mean we should automatically assume they will run a more honest business? You can talk all you want about business models that favor the consumer, while you plan on taking pre-orders, and plan on delivering late because you do what every other mining company has done: massive delays without any real excuse, misleading consumers, etc. At what point should we assume you are anymore honest than they were?

Another concern is the fact that you have only announced one product, over .5 TH. How is that good for the market? It will most probably be too expensive for entry level miners. See, that is proof that you don't care about what will make the real Bitcoin market strong, and that is the small people.

I hope I'm wrong.
WastedLTC

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 06:46:42 PM

Another concern is the fact that you have only announced one product, over .5 TH. How is that good for the market? It will most probably be too expensive for entry level miners. See, that is proof that you don't care about what will make the real Bitcoin market strong, and that is the small people.

I don't think that proves anything.  If a single chip does .5 TH, what do you want them to do?  1/2 chips?   They have also not released a price.   I don't follow your logic on those statements.   

Its also possible that a 500 GH/s chip sells for $500.  Can't say otherwise as no info around price was released.  And if that was the case, sign me up.   Smiley 
SirWizz

Activity: 173

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 06:49:34 PM

I'm suspicious of Cointerra. They are entering a market of consumers who have been fucked and misled by every ASIC mining company. Why are they any different than anyone else? All these companies have proven to be motivated by the dream of printing money, just as much as their consumers are motivated to throw money at them to finance their dreams, and then never get their product. So, big deal, Cointerra has access to better technology, does this mean we should automatically assume they will run a more honest business? You can talk all you want about business models that favor the consumer, while you plan on taking pre-orders, and plan on delivering late because you do what every other mining company has done: massive delays without any real excuse, misleading consumers, etc. At what point should we assume you are anymore honest than they were?

I hope I'm wrong.

Well if you think they are in it for anything else but money you are probably wrong...
Ytterbium

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2013, 06:56:37 PM

Both customers and producers are in it for the money. There is no other reason to do any of this. It should be possible to operate in a way that customers and producers both make money, especially when the difficulty is low. But as the diff goes up there will be a smaller and smaller pie for everyone.

n4ru

Activity: 350

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 07:04:13 PM

If delivered by January 1st, 2014; With free shipping, free electricity, and using p2pool to avoid fees, a 500GH/s unit will break even in about a year at $6/GHs, or $3,000 for the unit.
WastedLTC

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 07:13:24 PM

If delivered by January 1st, 2014; With free shipping, free electricity, and using p2pool to avoid fees, a 500GH/s unit will break even in about a year at $6/GHs, or $3,000 for the unit.

Sounds like BTC needs to go back above $200...     
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1068

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 07:16:07 PM

Dr David likes his privacy, so his name has been removed from the website.
I'm going to just preserve this here for future reference, so people won't need to dig through some archives or caches.

Cointerra/Team

Cointerra boasts a highly experienced engineering team of semiconductor architects and designers who have previously designed some of the world’s highest performance CPUs, GPUs and chipsets for Nvidia, Intel, Samsung, Qualcomm and Nortel. Having worked on several generations of low-power mobile devices, our team brings tremendous experience in power efficient circuitry, design methodology and implementation to the exciting new frontier of Bitcoin mining.

Executive team

The architecture, design and development effort is lead by : Ravi Iyengar, Dr. David Tannenbaum, and Jim O’Connor. The Advisory Board is headed by Dr. Naveed Sherwani.

Ravi Iyengar
FOUNDER & CEO

http://www.linkedin.com/in/ravidiyengar

Before founding Cointerra, Ravi was a Lead CPU Architect at Samsung Corporation. Ravi brings with him 15 years of industry experience in Architecture, Design and Verification in CPU, GPU, Desktop/Server Chipsets and ASIC Cores, and years of leadership experience in top Semi-conductor companies like Samsung, Qualcomm, NVIDIA, and Intel. Ravi has a Master’s Degree in Computer Engineering from Wright State University and a Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering from National Institute of Technology, India.

Dr. David Tannenbaum
Chief Architect

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-tannenbaum/12/4b6/647

David works as a Consultant Architect & Designer at Cointerra. He is a Principal Engineer at NVIDIA Corporation and has over 25 years of experience in the industry. He brings with him vast experience in the design of arithmetic intensive logic including single, double precision floating-point, custom floating-point, IEEE formats, transcendental support, fused multiply-add, integer operations, conversions, logical operations, custom instructions, exponentiation, logarithms. Inventor on 20+ patents. David has a Ph.D in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from  Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

Jim O’Connor
VP of Engineering

http://www.linkedin.com/in/jgoconnor

Over 35 years of experience in design and management. Jim has held management positions at Altior Inc(now Exar), SMSC(now Microchip), iVivity, Zagros Networks and Orologic(now Vitesse Semiconductor), Nortel Semiconductor and BroadBand Technologies.  

Jim has also held lead design positions at BroadBand Technologies, Star Technologies, General Electric, and Teledyne. His experience includes SOC design and verification, Assertion-Based Verification, physical design, systems design, software and firmware in graphics, datacom, telecom and security.

Jim is a graduate of General Electric’s Edison Engineering program and holds B.S. and M. Eng. Degrees in electrical engineering from the University of Louisville’s Speed Scientific School.

Dr. Naveed Sherwani
Advisor

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/naveed-sherwani/0/89/2a7

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-Silicon

Co-Founder, President & CEO of Open Silicon. Prior to co-founding Open-Silicon, Dr. Sherwani was the founder and General Manager of Intel Microelectronics Services where he led efforts to promote the use of disciplined ASIC methodologies to improve design efficiency and time-to-market. He currently chairs the GSA (Global Semiconductor Association) Technical Steering Committee.

Dr. Sherwani co-architected the Intel microprocessor design methodology and environment that has been used in several leading microprocessors. Prior to joining Intel, he worked as a consultant for various telecommunications and computer companies, mainly focusing on ASIC design flow and cell library design to improve time-to-market.

Dr. Sherwani is the author of textbook on Physical Design, which is widely used as the main textbook at major universities around the world. In addition, he has authored or co-authored three books and over 100 articles on various aspects of Physical Design Automation and ASICs.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
minternj

Activity: 434

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 07:25:33 PM

Sounds like BTC needs to go back above $200...     

Looks like gonna break 100 to the downside.

Warning about Nitrogensports.eu
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=709114.0
deadgiveaway

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 07:26:15 PM

I don't think that proves anything.  If a single chip does .5 TH, what do you want them to do?  1/2 chips?   They have also not released a price.   I don't follow your logic on those statements.  

Its also possible that a 500 GH/s chip sells for $500.  Can't say otherwise as no info around price was released.  And if that was the case, sign me up.   Smiley  

If it's $500 and delivered before 2014, then Cointerra is keeping their word. Of course we'll have to wait and see. I hope they realize that exciting the Bitcoin users will work in favor of price, and fucking us will cause it to drop.
fiktionist

Activity: 72

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 08:16:56 PM

Get working prototypes.
Make everything as transparent as possible
Dont sell things that dont exist at the moment of selling
deliver on time

===

profit.

liked that post? Official BeerAdress: 12Q9d7tntiQXARjpVSRKnQhzJy4MoAaonL
deadgiveaway

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 08:56:45 PM

Get working prototypes.
deliver on time

===

profit.

Who are you kidding? Here's a more likely scenario: Lie = more profit. That's how the world works.
fiktionist

Activity: 72

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 09:18:32 PM

Get working prototypes.
deliver on time

===

profit.

Who are you kidding? Here's a more likely scenario: Lie = more profit. That's how the world works.
my statement was posted as a customer, willing to pay if above points are fulfilled, not as company.

in germany we say "greed eats brain" (Gier frisst Hirn). Thats what seems to be happening to many so called "asic companies".

liked that post? Official BeerAdress: 12Q9d7tntiQXARjpVSRKnQhzJy4MoAaonL
minternj

Activity: 434

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 09:21:09 PM

in germany we say "greed eats brain" (Gier frisst Hirn). Thats what seems to be happening to many so called "asic companies".

Same applies to us asic customers.

Warning about Nitrogensports.eu
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=709114.0
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 124 »
  Print  

Jump to: