Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 09:31:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... 124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinTerra announces its first ASIC - Hash-Rate greater than 500 GH/s  (Read 230785 times)
WastedLTC

Activity: 776
Merit: 536

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 02:08:18 PM

I feel Cointerra's price is still too high for December.  I assume when they say December, it means LATE December if no delays happen.

If you have yet to purchase an ASIC, I feel the best thing to do is wait.  Wait for October 1st to roll around, check out the reviews for KNC, then decide which company to order from.  If KNC delivers in Sept/Oct, they will become the first ASIC manufacture to have a continuous flow of products for sale with set delivery dates. (This should cause other companies to drop prices)

If Cointerra had a price of $10k, that would be a different story-- wish they did, but they don't. 

I'll be watching for that price decrease!
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 04:14:30 PM

I feel Cointerra's price is still too high for December.  I assume when they say December, it means LATE December if no delays happen.

If you have yet to purchase an ASIC, I feel the best thing to do is wait.  Wait for October 1st to roll around, check out the reviews for KNC, then decide which company to order from. If KNC delivers in Sept/Oct, they will become the first ASIC manufacture to have a continuous flow of products for sale with set delivery dates. (This should cause other companies to drop prices)

If Cointerra had a price of $10k, that would be a different story-- wish they did, but they don't. 

I agree. At 10k I'd buy one, but at 13k they are an overpriced gamble.

I tried talking some sense into them, but they seem content charging whatever price the market can bear. I don't blame them, but anyone that pays what they're asking for is an idiot.

The CEO said cost of silicone, R&D, etc. as justification of their price. However, in a recent news article they said they sold 150 units right off the bat. This would of covered the 1.5 million they needed to raise from investors for R&D. Obviously they could eat into those profit margins quite a bit, but were simply unwilling to do so because there are so many idiots that will pay what they're asking... I imagine its the same crowd buying ASICMINER equipment.

Oh well. They can screw someone else, I'd rather buy and hold bitcoins than gamble on whether they will deliver or not. There is not enough upside to make the gamble.
GodHatesFigs

Activity: 557
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 05:41:12 PM

^ Don't worry: as competition heats up, the prices will become more competitive. Like you said, buy and hold BTC until then Smiley
mokahless

Activity: 471
Merit: 256

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 08:59:17 PM

It's been mentioned but I think a visual would better illustrate the point.

http://www.tweaktown.com/image.php?image=http://imagescdn.tweaktown.com/content/4/6/4673_03_intel_core_i7_3770k_lga_1155_ivy_bridge_cpu_review_full.png

http://cointerra.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/chip-large.jpg

Isn't this image copyrighted? Why would cointerra choose to use the image of an ivy bridge intel processor as their own? This reflects poorly on the company. Many, such as myself, take this as an indicator to avoid them.

Ytterbium

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 09:50:12 AM

http://www.tweaktown.com/image.php?image=http://imagescdn.tweaktown.com/content/4/6/4673_03_intel_core_i7_3770k_lga_1155_ivy_bridge_cpu_review_full.png

Isn't this image copyrighted? Why would cointerra choose to use the image of an ivy bridge intel processor as their own? This reflects poorly on the company. Many, such as myself, take this as an indicator to avoid them.

That's pretty lazy.  HashFast was able to do a render of what they expected their chip (package) to look like.

They actually probably don't know what package their chip is even going to use at this point, but just photoshoping an Intel chip is pretty amateur hour.

eve

Activity: 210

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 10:37:07 AM

If you have yet to purchase an ASIC, I feel the best thing to do is wait.  Wait for October 1st to roll around, check out the reviews for KNC, then decide which company to order from. If KNC delivers in Sept/Oct, they will become the first ASIC manufacture to have a continuous flow of products for sale with set delivery dates. (This should cause other companies to drop prices)

I agree. At 10k I'd buy one, but at 13k they are an overpriced gamble.

I tried talking some sense into them, but they seem content charging whatever price the market can bear. I don't blame them, but anyone that pays what they're asking for is an idiot.

The CEO said cost of silicone, R&D, etc. as justification of their price. However, in a recent news article they said they sold 150 units right off the bat. This would of covered the 1.5 million they needed to raise from investors for R&D. Obviously they could eat into those profit margins quite a bit, but were simply unwilling to do so because there are so many idiots that will pay what they're asking... I imagine its the same crowd buying ASICMINER equipment.

Oh well. They can screw someone else, I'd rather buy and hold bitcoins than gamble on whether they will deliver or not. There is not enough upside to make the gamble.

At 5k I will definitely BUY 2 for sure.
crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 10:39:10 AM

That's pretty lazy.  HashFast was able to do a render of what they expected their chip (package) to look like.

They actually probably don't know what package their chip is even going to use at this point, but just photoshoping an Intel chip is pretty amateur hour.

No way dood.  CoinTerra is the first ASIC manufacturer achieving sufficient die density to warrant socketed solutions.  The Golden PromiseTM MLSITM (Mega Large Scale Integration) package is optimized for off-the-shelf CPU cooling solutions and is upward compatible with the future generations of fine CoinTerra SHA256-hashing solutions.

CoinTerra:  Future perfect solutions for a brighter tomorrowTM
*"Solution" is the laziest word in the English language.
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 11:06:42 AM

lol

TAKE MY MONEY NOW! Shocked

Stinky_Pete

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 11:10:03 AM

and is upward compatible with the future generations of fine CoinTerra SHA256-hashing solutions.
Well, we'll see if that works out. Easy to say, not so easy to do.

ShadesOfMarble
Donator

Activity: 543

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 11:40:24 AM

and is upward compatible with the future generations of fine CoinTerra SHA256-hashing solutions.
Irony - easy to use, not so easy to detect.

Review of the Spondoolies-Tech SP10 „Dawson“ Bitcoin miner (1.4 TH/s)

[22:35] <Vinnie_win> Did anyone get paid yet? | [22:36] <Isokivi> pirate did!
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 12:11:06 PM

+1

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
monkee

Activity: 172

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 12:59:08 PM

They said they would release info within 48 hours, then missed that deadline.

They said their remaining, more affordable (but higher $ per GH) units would be announced by the end of August and it is now over a week late.

The Intel chip Photoshop is SHOCKING

They are very quiet and post no information about progress, etc.  "No news is good news" has been proven untrue by every other ASIC manufacturer.  

Their video was surprisingly devoid of content.

They are way overpriced (or under powered) for the $ per GH they want.

They did not accept bitcoin for orders for about a week after opening their store.

Their penalty for shipping late is total bullshit.  It doesn't kick in until 30 days AFTER their "deadline", effectively moving their deadline 30 days later.  They have not even stated that this deadline is December, if it is end of Jan, plus 30 days (all of feb), their penalty could take effect as late as March.  Meaning, you receive your rig on Feb 28th and there is no penalty. The penalty should kick in the day after your "deadline" or it is not a deadline.

Their penalty for shipping late is total bullshit, part 2.  Making me buy another unit from you to claim this "penalty" is not a protection plan.  Not to mention that 20% of hash power, by the time received will be so minuscule it won't make up for anything anyway.

If you need a refund, they will only refund in USD.  Meaning if bitcoin goes up, they can close up shop, never ship, refund everyone and keep all of the profit earned by your "loan" of 15k in BTC.  Refunds, if there are any, should be in BTC if you pay in BTC.

In my opinion price should be in BTC not USD so profitability does not depend on WHEN you buy one.  Hint: Cointerra, people with BTC will be hesitant to pull the trigger if they think BTC will be higher tomorrow, and the next day, thus making your product cheaper to them the longer they wait... thus needing less BTC to see a return.  By December BTC may be $1000, so if your product mines 16 BTC, is that a success in your eyes?  It is not to the person who pays 100+ BTC now.

Hey Cointerra, hire me or someone else from the forums who knows what's up to straighten your shit out a little.  I hope you address some of the issues I mentioned.  I'm excited about your technology, it's "everything else" that screams either "noob to bitcoin" or "ripoff" that scares me about investing with you.  
aerobatic

Activity: 702

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 01:12:11 PM

Hey Monkey,

You say Cointerra is overpriced.  Well, ive ordered hardware from some of the other companies (knc, bfl, hashfast etc) and i cant find anything cheaper than Cointerra, per GH right now.  Do please tell me what youve found that is cheaper GH than Cointerra as id like to buy some?

-- Jez
creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 01:34:05 PM

Everyone you mentioned is claiming they'll ship before Cointerra. Long lead time makes Cointerra pricey.

Obviously BFL is excluded as they'll always ship two weekstm from today's date.

cointerra (OP)

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 04:08:55 PM

Hi Mokahless and others,

We certainly understand the desire for photographs of our products, but unfortunately, just like our competitors, we cannot provide more than a render or mockup until the actual production has taken place. Our chips will come back from the fab in december, which is when their actual final photographs will be published.

www.cointerra.com - Professional grade Bitcoin mining equipment.
If you have any questions for us, we're happy to help at info (at) cointerra (dot) com
console_cowboy

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 04:16:41 PM

Hi Mokahless and others,

We certainly understand the desire for photographs of our products, but unfortunately, just like our competitors, we cannot provide more than a render or mockup until the actual production has taken place. Our chips will come back from the fab in december, which is when their actual final photographs will be published.

But you don't even have an idea of how you are going to package the chips yet? Or do you plan on packaging them just like the intel chips? I'm curious to know your packaging plans and any specs at all on the chips.
Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 922
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 04:21:31 PM

Cointerra, how about answering some of my questions:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=269093.msg3082217#msg3082217
sirky

Activity: 404

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 04:47:18 PM

I just preordered one, mainly because the principals of this company seem the most legitimate to me.

I feel very comfortable that there will be profit to be made here, despite the claims by people of one trillion difficulty (or more) by the end of 2013.

Out of curiosity, what particular principle do you feel that cointerra embodies that makes them so legitimate? I have read a good bit of their marketing materials too, and do not see how their lofty ambitions actually match company practices. They have excellent PR, but what does this PR really mean? Has BitSynCom and BFL really lowered the ball for principles in bitcoin mining so low that the first person to spout rhetoric doesn't have to back it up with proof first? I seem to remember BitSynCom had quite a bit of good rhetoric, community support, and seeming good will until the Avalon chip deal went up in flames.

I am not so quick to trust someone just due to pretty words. So far only a few small PCB makers seem to legitimately have principles. I'll put Cointerra in the same grouping when I see some action to back up the words.   

I hope we are not confusing 'principals' with 'principles' here. They have very different meanings.

Well unless the first poster was talking about how much capital cointerra has to work with, I think they used the wrong word. Talking about values is "principle". I didn't want to go all grammer nazi though earlier...

I said principal.
Ytterbium

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 04:48:49 PM

+1

Uh... why are you guys quoting me as having said that?

Ytterbium

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 04:55:13 PM

Hi Mokahless and others,

Oooh... Do a chip-scale flip chip BGA. I think those are cool. Also, add a microlayer of gold to the top to make it look extra sweet. It's called the gold strike or strikegold or whatever after all.

Anyway, drawings are fine but just taking an Intel chip and slapping your logo on it is kind of lame.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... 124 »
  Print  

Jump to: