Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 08:50:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin will never reach $20 again  (Read 40260 times)
muyoso

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 10:23:05 PM

I have to ask.  Why do some people get no fees at Mt.Gox while others get .3% fees?  What is their justification for this?  Seems unfair as shit, especially because I am in the .3% camp.

I drink it up!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 11:53:35 PM

You forget that the future prices may reflect a reason for mining at a loss at the current time. Not all markets remain static and thus they fluctuate. I suspect you will see a fluctuation in the price of namecoins to one bitcoin.

Don't be too sure that anyone is giving away processing power. Those who mine namecoins are holding them for a reason. Same with bitcoin.

Also keep in mind...that early on in bitcoin the pioneers who mined not ALWAYS mined at a profit. They saw the big picture and not just 4 feet in front of their faces.

No, the people mining namecoins simply can't do math.  If they had mined bitcoins instead and bought namecoins one of two things will have happened: they'd have wound up with MORE namecoins (30-40% more) or the price of namecoins would have reached difficulty parity with BTC.  I suspect a combination of the two.  Oh, and more people would be mining NMC because of that price parity, so NMC isn't stuck in 1-2 transaction an hour hell for over a month.

Early bitcoin pioneers didn't have the option to mine "bonuscoins" which easily converted to the exact same bitcoins but with 30-40% more output.  If they had you can bet the clever ones would have mined those instead.

You seem to confuse "going long namecoins" with "mining namecoins."  The second is a way to accomplish the first, but with a massive penalty.

Your perspective is still focused on the short term. Did bitcoins value go from $0.00001 to $32 in less than a month? No. So you're comment about it been on a downward trend for a month isn't any different than bitcoins not gaining in market value for more than a month.

You keep saying things like "massive penalty" when you can't forecast the price of bitcoins nor namecoins for that matter. For all we know bitcoins could take a shit-dive to $7 for a month then in the meantime give namecoins a month's worth of high times.

Like I said also, Satoshi and the pioneers did take losses in the beginning prior to the recent run up in price in the last 9 months. So how is it a surprise that early adopters of namecoin are taking a loss in the short-term same as Satoshi?

Obviously you're more like a day trader. Make your $1 spend it and then in 6 months realize if you saved that $1 you would have had $1000.

Come back and talk to me in 6 months and we'll see who was short-sighted on the matter.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 12:04:58 AM

I have to ask.  Why do some people get no fees at Mt.Gox while others get .3% fees?  What is their justification for this?  Seems unfair as shit, especially because I am in the .3% camp.

Compensation for those who had money and/or Bitcoins tied up at MtGox during the hack and subsequent shutdown.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
wolftaur

Activity: 112

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 02:03:27 AM

Compensation for those who had money and/or Bitcoins tied up at MtGox during the hack and subsequent shutdown.

Nope, I have .3% fees, and I had both USD -and- BTC over there at the time.

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 02:24:42 AM

Nope, I have .3% fees, and I had both USD -and- BTC over there at the time.

I would let them know.  Maybe you were overlooked.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 04:19:20 AM

You had to have open orders that were actually executed during the crackhack in order to qualify.

Be humble!
BTC Economist (OP)

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 02:33:13 PM

So far my prediction has held.  It's pretty much been holding in the $13 range for some time and buying support remains weak.

When BTC soars, you need to be READY!  PM me to learn more about my new e-book, How to Create and Profit from the Second Bitcoin Bubble available exclusively to BTC forum members!

17JzkreEBYNHQM9tMTiUKCHANofwzHRLhP
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:21:02 PM

So far my prediction has held.  It's pretty much been holding in the $13 range for some time and buying support remains weak.

i will make an as equally bold prediction:  BTC will never go down to $6 again.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4438
Merit: 1794

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:23:28 PM

Seriously that post is a troll.

The title of the topic is (in case it gets changed sometime)
"Bitcoin will never reach $20 again"

So what if after 3 weeks it hasn't reached $20?

That's a very small percentage of the time between now and "never"

The only possibility of "never" being proven true is if "The Bitcoin" fails before it "ever" reaches $20

For someone who says they know economics, your mathematics and logic skills seem to be rather lacking even in your original thread name ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
BTC Economist (OP)

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 05:37:47 PM

Seriously that post is a troll.

The title of the topic is (in case it gets changed sometime)
"Bitcoin will never reach $20 again"

So what if after 3 weeks it hasn't reached $20?

That's a very small percentage of the time between now and "never"

The only possibility of "never" being proven true is if "The Bitcoin" fails before it "ever" reaches $20

For someone who says they know economics, your mathematics and logic skills seem to be rather lacking even in your original thread name ...

Semantics....eventually everyone realizes how completely unfeasible $20 is. 

And to the poster who thinks it will never reach $6, I invite you to start a thread so we don't forget your prediction.

When BTC soars, you need to be READY!  PM me to learn more about my new e-book, How to Create and Profit from the Second Bitcoin Bubble available exclusively to BTC forum members!

piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 06:24:06 PM

bitcoins were being sold for over a million USD per one at MtGox today so this thread failed.

i am satoshi
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 06:37:35 PM

bitcoins were being sold for over a million USD per one at MtGox today so this thread failed.

+1

for the same reason the snills said BTC went to zero, yes we can say BTC went to >1M USD!

you lose.
BTC Economist (OP)

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 10:07:59 PM

Idiot.  That's a glitch, not a market price.

Edward50

Activity: 602

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 11:21:33 PM

What surprises me about the bitcoin price is how well it is holding around $13 dollars. I guess most bitcoin holders are rich tech savy people, who would rather sit with their coins to their death rather than sell them.

This is probably the reason why the price has not fallen. I can see this going on for a while, and bitcoin holders have already tasted the $20+ dollar range. Most are insane and blind enough in the idea to think each bitcoin is worth a small country. And shit, if I actually owned even 1 bitcoin, maybe I would be insane and blind also. Who does not want to be filthy rich.

Scaracity and hoarding is the only tool that bitcoin bulls have.

Most people interested in buying know that the bitcoin is not worth even worth $13 dollars a coin. They will be much more careful with their dollars.

So the price will be up to the horders not giving in and selling too cheaply. It will not be up to people actually needing or demanding bitcoin for any useful purpose.

I say in the end the price will be lower because every day there are still thousands of bitcoins being produced. With each passing day it will be a test on how long can you hold out when it becomes more obvious that the price is not going any higher.

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 11:39:54 PM

I hear a similar story regarding De Beers and Diamonds.
Apparently it's working ok for them.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Edward50

Activity: 602

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 11:45:24 PM

I hear a similar story regarding De Beers and Diamonds.
Apparently it's working ok for them.

Yes, it seems to also be working to some extent with bitcoin.

However, when you compare De Beers with  Bitcoin, De Beers is much more controlled by far less people.
Bitcoins are owned by many people so collusion should not be so high.

Again, I still think that there are a few market players in bitcoin artifically holding up the price and causing the scarcity. I would bet that a few people are responsible for buying most of the bitcoins that are going on the market.

Will these few players be able to hold up the price of buying the marjority of future bitcoins for the months to come... I do not know if they would take the gamble with that kind of money.

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 11:58:52 PM

Again, I still think that there are a few market players in bitcoin artifically holding up the price and causing the scarcity. I would bet that a few people are responsible for buying most of the bitcoins that are going on the market.

What does it mean to "artificially hold up the price and cause scarcity?" Why are my decisions as a market participant "artificial?" I reckon it's because you don't agree with my valuation of the value of a Bitcoin. I think it would be equally silly to say that YOU are "artificially lowering the price" by not buying more coins.

You think Bitcoins aren't worth $13. I think they're worth vastly more. Neither of our opinions are "artificial." I am not causing scarcity, and you are not causing over-supply.

BTC Economist (OP)

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 10:53:24 PM

$20 is looking less and less likely.  Pretty soon I will be preparing the crow for you guys to eat.

ManOfKnight

Activity: 243
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 01:38:49 AM

I don't necessarily agree with your statements.

If Bitcoin returns and doesn't crash for good...it could easily hit 20 again.  The problem with bitcoin is people invested too quickly and the price went up too quickly.  Right now it needs to be in the single digits to survive.  Losses will come to those that invested high...but as long as speculators don't invest too heavily and bring the price up too quickly it will be easier to believe in the bitcoin.  The big problem is how high it went and how fast it got there.  We are talking THOUSANDS of percentage points in a year.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 04:54:41 AM

Nah, being high valued is not a problem as long as it maintains that value; the more people believe it should be worth at least 100 bucks per BTC the faster we'll get there and the easier it will  be to keep it from going down again. We just gotta believe it.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: