Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:47:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XPM] Working on a GPU miner for Primecoin, new thread :)  (Read 166549 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
FoldingTime

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 01:35:00 PM

I did some back of the envelope calculations that suggest parallella can't compete against just going out and buying a new i5/i7 and sticking it in a milk crate.

Dream away at finding a niche primecoin mining platform that no one else has up and running yet  Cheesy It's good to dream!
Even if true, the parallella does not require a MB, ram, an enclosure, cooling (other than maybe a single fan blowing across the entire assembly)  - and it is infinitely parallizable without any additional cost.  You cannot say the same for an i5/i7 which each require at the minimum a MB, ethernet, ram modules and cooling with some sort of enclosure and also it takes up 20X more space per unit.

I don't think the parallella is infinitely parallizable. On the board is "a dual-core ARM A9 CPU, a field programmable gate array (FPGA), and Adapteva's unique 16-core Epiphany coprocessor". Sure you can connect them into a cluster, or wait (for how long?) for the 64-core coprocessor, but modern GPUs have hundreds if not thousands of "cores", depending how you define them. So the parallella may be capable of running some version of primecoin, but it will be much slower than running the current client on a up-to-date i7.
well rbdbourbon thinks differently. We will see...
ARM CPUs are not the quickest but I think trying this out has potential and it is great to do something new and unique. Even if it does not work for primecoin, other uses may materialise.

Keep us updated on progress.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ReCat

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2013, 01:46:14 PM

The performance of the ARM core is insignificant, as it serves only to function as a controller of the Ephipany cores. It's like a pentium 4 with a radeon 7950. I still mined at regular speeds. Tongue

BTC: 1recatirpHBjR9sxgabB3RDtM6TgntYUW
Hold onto what you love with all your might, Because you can never know when - Oh. What you love is now gone.
balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 11:40:10 AM

Fully agree with CoinHoarder.

The peoples with pay for VPS and mine PrimeCoin it's botnet's or serious miner's? My opinion - they serious miners.
IMO botnet's can't take control of PrimeCoint network until serious miner's with VPS mines PrimeCoin, because diff is to high and computers which controlled by botnet's in 80% cases it's a regular home users computers without much CPU power.
rdebourbon is working on a primecoin miner for the parallella (parallella.org).  It is a $99 computer (essentially just cpu and cache on an ARM architecture) that can be infinitely parrallized.  I think this may be the ideal primecoin miner by a $/XPM mined basis
Interesting news - I have a parallella board coming sometime, as a Kickstarter invester. But I'm puzzled, if primecoin mining couldn't be made to work on a GPU with massive parallization, why should it work on a parallella board? Do you have any more details, link etc?

Hey keep us posted on the arrival of your parallela board!
ReCat

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2013, 10:23:45 PM

Fully agree with CoinHoarder.

The peoples with pay for VPS and mine PrimeCoin it's botnet's or serious miner's? My opinion - they serious miners.
IMO botnet's can't take control of PrimeCoint network until serious miner's with VPS mines PrimeCoin, because diff is to high and computers which controlled by botnet's in 80% cases it's a regular home users computers without much CPU power.
rdebourbon is working on a primecoin miner for the parallella (parallella.org).  It is a $99 computer (essentially just cpu and cache on an ARM architecture) that can be infinitely parrallized.  I think this may be the ideal primecoin miner by a $/XPM mined basis
Interesting news - I have a parallella board coming sometime, as a Kickstarter invester. But I'm puzzled, if primecoin mining couldn't be made to work on a GPU with massive parallization, why should it work on a parallella board? Do you have any more details, link etc?

There's many different kinds of specialized high performance software. GPU's are one of them. I think it's got to do with the size/complexity of each core, and how many there are.

Hold onto what you love with all your might, Because you can never know when - Oh. What you love is now gone.
cycloid

Activity: 434

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2013, 07:35:26 AM

Is there an android cpu miner for XPM? I was thinking about using Android mini PC with quad-core RK3188 A9 , they sell for $60-80 on the net.

Not sure what kind of speeds they would get but i got free power here and they should stack up pretty well, any idea if this is possible?

crendore

Activity: 363

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 09:08:34 AM

Is there an android cpu miner for XPM? I was thinking about using Android mini PC with quad-core RK3188 A9 , they sell for $60-80 on the net.

Not sure what kind of speeds they would get but i got free power here and they should stack up pretty well, any idea if this is possible?

I thought about doing this before with those android TV sticks, some of them have tegra 9 processors.  I don't think they would be very fast though, possibly about 10-20 of them would be one really fast i7.

ReCat

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2013, 04:04:23 AM

i think this is ded

a bit sad that the community's 10 grand went to nothing. Sad

Trillium

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 05:55:09 AM

i think this is ded

a bit sad that the community's 10 grand went to nothing. Sad

It died long ago man, you gotta let it go.

BTC:1AaaAAAAaAAE2L1PXM1x9VDNqvcrfa9He6
ReCat

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2013, 06:53:02 PM

its such a dissapointment though.

maybe that's why primecoin as a whole kinda died too.

the pessimists are always right Tongue

satriani

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 07:19:30 PM

the men who can create a good GPU miner for Prime will be rich
itod
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1075

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 07:34:38 PM

If only that is true, there would be several good XPM GPU miners.
lucasjkr

Activity: 644

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 08:19:48 PM

the premise everyone has about this GPU miner is flawed... even from the get-go (in Sonny's original launch thread), no one was sure if a GPU miner would work. Just because SHA and Scrypt have been able to excel on GPU's has no bearing on whether or not GPU's would be at all useful for Primefactoring. But people who didn't believe that were willing to pay $10,000 to find out.

Will GPU's make prime coin miners rich? I don't think so. Conversely to bitcoin, the higher the difficulty of the prime coin network, the lower the actual rewards will be.  So, if someone creates a GPU miner that gets widely deployed, all that will mean is less coins are getting generated for everyone to share. Not even like Bitcoin, where the award stays stable for years at a time and then halved, and hashrate increases change the way the pie is sliced up; the rewards for primecoin actually diminish. Convert the whole network to GPU's that offer a huge performance increase and the block reward will tumble.

So no. GPU's offer no panacea, and would be hugely detrimental (i think). The only thing driving it is greed, where people (assumedly who have GPU's that are idled from the Bitcoin network) think they can get a leg up in primecoin land...
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 08:22:45 PM

i think i might start to look into this Cheesy $10,000 im sure i can come up with something

Stinky_Pete

Activity: 560

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 09:52:34 PM

the premise everyone has about this GPU miner is flawed... even from the get-go (in Sonny's original launch thread), no one was sure if a GPU miner would work. Just because SHA and Scrypt have been able to excel on GPU's has no bearing on whether or not GPU's would be at all useful for Primefactoring. But people who didn't believe that were willing to pay $10,000 to find out.

Will GPU's make prime coin miners rich? I don't think so. Conversely to bitcoin, the higher the difficulty of the prime coin network, the lower the actual rewards will be.  So, if someone creates a GPU miner that gets widely deployed, all that will mean is less coins are getting generated for everyone to share. Not even like Bitcoin, where the award stays stable for years at a time and then halved, and hashrate increases change the way the pie is sliced up; the rewards for primecoin actually diminish. Convert the whole network to GPU's that offer a huge performance increase and the block reward will tumble.

So no. GPU's offer no panacea, and would be hugely detrimental (i think). The only thing driving it is greed, where people (assumedly who have GPU's that are idled from the Bitcoin network) think they can get a leg up in primecoin land...

Someone talking sense at last! The whole GPU for Primecoin thing has been a disaster, no-one has been willing to develop anything for the coin because of this background idea that a GPU miner will turn up soon and instantly make us all millionaires/make the coin worthless. Isn't going to happen, people, Primecoin will remain a CPU only coin for a long time, mining at roughly the current rate. So let's get out there and build a useful environment around it.

reb0rn21
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1024

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 11:26:01 PM

I am sorry to say but no GPU miner or some dedicated HW, XPM is dead in future even atm is mostly mined by botnet`s, and ppl abusing their power to steal resource from big servers, soon there will be no point in home mining if diff go to far so CPU use more electric power, only thifes gona profit in in stealing other CPU cycles!

▄▄▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▄▄▄
           ▄▀▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▀▀▄
        ▄▀▀  ▄▄▀█          ▀█▀▄▄  ▀▀▄
      ▄▀▀ ▄▄▀    ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀    ▀▄▄ ▀▀▄
     █   █            ▀            █   █
   ▄▀ █  ▀▄▄                     ▄█▀  █ ▀▄
  ▄▀ ▄▀ █▄ ▀▀▀██▄▄▄       ▄▄▄██▀▀  ██ ▀▄ ▀▄
  ▀▄▀▀▄ ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▀▄   ▄▀  ▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██ ▄▀▀▄▀
 ██   █ ██ ▀▄    ▀▄ █   █ ▄▀    ▄▀ ██ █  ▀██
 █  ▄█  ▀█  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █   █ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █   █▄  █
█▀ █  █  █          █   █          █  █  █ ▀▀
 █▀  ▄▀  █▀▄        █   █        ▄▀█  ▀▄  ▀█
 ▄  █▀   █ ▀█▄      ▀   ▀      ▄█▀ █  ▄▀█  ▄
 █▄▀  █  █                         █  █  ▀▄█
 ▀▄  █   ▀█        ▄▄▀▄▀▄▄        █▀   █  ▄
  ▀▄▀▀  █▄ █     ▀█  ▀▀▀  █▀     █ ▄█ ▄▀▀▄▀
   ▀ ▄  ██ █▀▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▀▀     ▄▀█ ██ ▀▄ ▀
    ▀█  ██ █ █▀▄    ▄▄▄▄▄    ▄▀█ █ ██  █▀
      ▀▄ ▀ █ █ ██▄         ▄██ █ █ ▀ ▄▀
        ▀▄ █ █ █ ▀█▄     ▄█▀ █ █ █ ▄▀
          ▀▀▄█ █    ▀▀▀▀▀    █ █▄▀▀
              ▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀

..I  D  E  N  A..

Proof-of-Person Blockchain

Join the mining of the first human-centric
cryptocurrency

▲    2 3 2 2

..N  O  D  E  S..

██
                ██
                ██
                ██
                ██
         ▄      ██      ▄
         ███▄   ██   ▄███
          ▀███▄ ██ ▄███▀
            ▀████████▀
              ▀████▀
                ▀▀
██▄                            ▄██
███                            ███
 ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███
  ▀▀██████████████████████████▀▀

D O W N L O A D

Idena node

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄█████▀▀        ▀▀█████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▀███
███      █   ▄▄ █▀▄        ███
██▀      █  ███ █  ▀▄      ▀██
███       █   ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀█       ███
███       █  ▄▄▄▄▄▄  █       ███
██▄      █  ▄▄▄▄▄▄  █      ▄██
███      █          █      ███
███▄    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    ▄███
████▄                ▄████
▀█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▀
▀▀████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀

.REQUEST INVITATION.
lemons

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 11:35:31 PM

no no , a good GPU miner for prime must to cause XPM price dump.
satriani

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 11:52:46 PM

no no , a good GPU miner for prime must to cause XPM price dump.
i dont think so. GPU will increace diff and the reward will drop. With dropping reward, the PrimeCoin will be rarer and the price should go up.
Multipool wont be a problem becouse the diff change every block.

1 word about botnet - i think that botnet isnt bad, but primecoin could have a bad press becouse of botnet and that could be a problem. Anyway - there must be in the future some HW to mine faster then CPU.
2Kool4Skewl

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2013, 12:20:47 AM

Don't remind me of that good for nothing scammer mtrlt.  I hope he gets hit by a bus.

▄████████▄
                  ▄████████████████▄
             ▄██████████████████████████▄
      ▄███████████████████████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
  █████████████████████████████████████████████████
   ███████████████████████████████████████████████
   ███████████████████████████████████████████████
    █████████████████████████████████████████████
     ███████████████████████████████████████████
      █████████████████████████████████████████
       ███████████████████████████████████████
        █████████████████████████████████████
         ███████████████████████████████████
          █████████████████████████████████
           ▀█████████████████████████████▀
             ▀█████████████████████████▀
               ▀█████████████████████▀
                 ▀█████████████████▀
                   ▀█████████████▀
                      ▀███████▀
TRUSTEE 
lucasjkr

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 01:15:02 AM

i dont think so. GPU will increace diff and the reward will drop. With dropping reward, the PrimeCoin will be rarer and the price should go up.
Multipool wont be a problem becouse the diff change every block.

1 word about botnet - i think that botnet isnt bad, but primecoin could have a bad press becouse of botnet and that could be a problem. Anyway - there must be in the future some HW to mine faster then CPU.

A higher difficulty only makes new coins rarer going forward; if demand is not there for them currently, then making them rarer won't do anything beneficial for the price.

Be thankful that he failed; instead of a reward of 10 XPM per block, you'd be looking at 4 or 5 per block; no one would win in this situation, instead of hoping to grab a bigger slice of the pie (as all the ASIC folks are doing in Bitcoin land), you'd just be making the size of the pie shrink rapidly...
reb0rn21
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1024

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 04:22:27 AM

ppl if no GPU nor dedicated HW to mine XPM, XPM will become mined only by botnets and ppl abusing servers, and they will own 90% of the coin and network, how can anyone will sane mind say its OK?HuhHuh?

Its Ok for thief and scamers which steal CPU with botnets and for ppl that abuse their job work to steal servers for mining?? no sane person will pay coin to the idiots which get it free!

home user can not fight free power not free hw! so they will qiut

▄▄▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▄▄▄
           ▄▀▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▀▀▄
        ▄▀▀  ▄▄▀█          ▀█▀▄▄  ▀▀▄
      ▄▀▀ ▄▄▀    ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀    ▀▄▄ ▀▀▄
     █   █            ▀            █   █
   ▄▀ █  ▀▄▄                     ▄█▀  █ ▀▄
  ▄▀ ▄▀ █▄ ▀▀▀██▄▄▄       ▄▄▄██▀▀  ██ ▀▄ ▀▄
  ▀▄▀▀▄ ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▀▄   ▄▀  ▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██ ▄▀▀▄▀
 ██   █ ██ ▀▄    ▀▄ █   █ ▄▀    ▄▀ ██ █  ▀██
 █  ▄█  ▀█  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █   █ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █   █▄  █
█▀ █  █  █          █   █          █  █  █ ▀▀
 █▀  ▄▀  █▀▄        █   █        ▄▀█  ▀▄  ▀█
 ▄  █▀   █ ▀█▄      ▀   ▀      ▄█▀ █  ▄▀█  ▄
 █▄▀  █  █                         █  █  ▀▄█
 ▀▄  █   ▀█        ▄▄▀▄▀▄▄        █▀   █  ▄
  ▀▄▀▀  █▄ █     ▀█  ▀▀▀  █▀     █ ▄█ ▄▀▀▄▀
   ▀ ▄  ██ █▀▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▀▀     ▄▀█ ██ ▀▄ ▀
    ▀█  ██ █ █▀▄    ▄▄▄▄▄    ▄▀█ █ ██  █▀
      ▀▄ ▀ █ █ ██▄         ▄██ █ █ ▀ ▄▀
        ▀▄ █ █ █ ▀█▄     ▄█▀ █ █ █ ▄▀
          ▀▀▄█ █    ▀▀▀▀▀    █ █▄▀▀
              ▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀

..I  D  E  N  A..

Proof-of-Person Blockchain

Join the mining of the first human-centric
cryptocurrency

▲    2 3 2 2

..N  O  D  E  S..

██
                ██
                ██
                ██
                ██
         ▄      ██      ▄
         ███▄   ██   ▄███
          ▀███▄ ██ ▄███▀
            ▀████████▀
              ▀████▀
                ▀▀
██▄                            ▄██
 ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███
  ▀▀██████████████████████████▀▀

D O W N L O A D

Idena node

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄█████▀▀        ▀▀█████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▀███
███      █   ▄▄ █▀▄        ███
██▀      █  ███ █  ▀▄      ▀██
███       █   ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀█       ███
██▄      █  ▄▄▄▄▄▄  █      ▄██
███      █          █      ███
███▄    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    ▄███
████▄                ▄████
▀█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▀
▀▀████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀

.REQUEST INVITATION.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  

Jump to: