Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:49:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XPM] Working on a GPU miner for Primecoin, new thread :)  (Read 166551 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
ReCat

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2013, 09:15:44 PM

Is there any hope for GPU mining primecoin? Ever since mtmlr released it I haven't heard a thing. I guess he isn't developing it anymore? Is this GPU miner dead too, like the CUDA miner is?

BTC: 1recatirpHBjR9sxgabB3RDtM6TgntYUW
Hold onto what you love with all your might, Because you can never know when - Oh. What you love is now gone.
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ivanlabrie

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 09:24:33 PM

Is there any hope for GPU mining primecoin? Ever since mtmlr released it I haven't heard a thing. I guess he isn't developing it anymore? Is this GPU miner dead too, like the CUDA miner is?

Why would it be dead?
Mtrlt released source so other people can work on it...rdebourbon was up to something.
ReCat

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2013, 09:34:15 PM

Why would it be dead?
Mtrlt released source so other people can work on it...rdebourbon was up to something.

Source code is released, but it's so complicated that there's very few people who can work on it.

Im just asking if it's dead or not, since I haven't heard a word of it from anyone. and who is that? Are they trying to revive the miner?

Hold onto what you love with all your might, Because you can never know when - Oh. What you love is now gone.
ivanlabrie

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 10:30:01 PM

Why would it be dead?

Source code is released, but it's so complicated that there's very few people who can work on it.

Im just asking if it's dead or not, since I haven't heard a word of it from anyone. and who is that? Are they trying to revive the miner?

He made an xpm poolminer and submitted a pull request or two to Mikaelh's HP github.
testz
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1018

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 10:40:11 PM

Fully agree with CoinHoarder.

The peoples with pay for VPS and mine PrimeCoin it's botnet's or serious miner's? My opinion - they serious miners.
IMO botnet's can't take control of PrimeCoint network until serious miner's with VPS mines PrimeCoin, because diff is to high and computers which controlled by botnet's in 80% cases it's a regular home users computers without much CPU power.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
mechs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 01:40:09 AM

The peoples with pay for VPS and mine PrimeCoin it's botnet's or serious miner's? My opinion - they serious miners.
IMO botnet's can't take control of PrimeCoint network until serious miner's with VPS mines PrimeCoin, because diff is to high and computers which controlled by botnet's in 80% cases it's a regular home users computers without much CPU power.
rdebourbon is working on a primecoin miner for the parallella (parallella.org).  It is a $99 computer (essentially just cpu and cache on an ARM architecture) that can be infinitely parrallized.  I think this may be the ideal primecoin miner by a $/XPM mined basis
ivanlabrie

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 01:48:06 AM

rdebourbon is working on a primecoin miner for the parallella (parallella.org).  It is a $99 computer (essentially just cpu and cache on an ARM architecture) that can be infinitely parrallized.  I think this may be the ideal primecoin miner by a $/XPM mined basis

That sounds GREAT! Didn't know that...I may have to grab a few of them if it works.
Stinky_Pete

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 01:49:33 AM

Interesting news - I have a parallella board coming sometime, as a Kickstarter invester. But I'm puzzled, if primecoin mining couldn't be made to work on a GPU with massive parallization, why should it work on a parallella board? Do you have any more details, link etc?

ivanlabrie

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 02:23:19 AM

Interesting news - I have a parallella board coming sometime, as a Kickstarter invester. But I'm puzzled, if primecoin mining couldn't be made to work on a GPU with massive parallization, why should it work on a parallella board? Do you have any more details, link etc?

It works actually, and it's coded in opencl, so this miner should serve as a base.
ReCat

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2013, 03:50:55 PM

It works actually, and it's coded in opencl, so this miner should serve as a base.

It does? I thought nobody was able to mine a block with it. I heard everyone saying it just crashed.

akspa

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2013, 10:17:02 PM

Specifically OpenCL v1.2. I'd be interested in the parallella version as well, even though I don't own the hardware (yet). It certainly looks like an interesting platform, especially since the boards can be installed in parallel at any time to increase the amount of processors at your disposal. I have a feeling we'll see quite a few new coins that target the platform - possibly bringing down the walls that ASICs have built up. Sure, it isn't bitcoin, but who cares - the cents to a dollar eventually add up Tongue
Trillium

Activity: 546

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 11:20:58 PM

I did some back of the envelope calculations that suggest parallella can't compete against just going out and buying a new i5/i7 and sticking it in a milk crate.

Dream away at finding a niche primecoin mining platform that no one else has up and running yet  Cheesy It's good to dream!

BTC:1AaaAAAAaAAE2L1PXM1x9VDNqvcrfa9He6
mechs

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 05:09:39 PM

I did some back of the envelope calculations that suggest parallella can't compete against just going out and buying a new i5/i7 and sticking it in a milk crate.

Dream away at finding a niche primecoin mining platform that no one else has up and running yet  Cheesy It's good to dream!
Even if true, the parallella does not require a MB, ram, an enclosure, cooling (other than maybe a single fan blowing across the entire assembly)  - and it is infinitely parallizable without any additional cost.  You cannot say the same for an i5/i7 which each require at the minimum a MB, ethernet, ram modules and cooling with some sort of enclosure and also it takes up 20X more space per unit.
cycloid

Activity: 434

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2013, 06:24:52 PM

I know scrypt is not fpga friendly but how about primecoin?

Carra23
Legendary

Activity: 980

Need a campaign manager? PM me

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 06:36:56 PM

Has anybody solved any block with a GPU?
ReCat

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2013, 06:44:04 PM

I know scrypt is not fpga friendly but how about primecoin?

We're not even hashing anymore. Hell. I don't think anyone even UNDERSTANDS what we're doing here. XD

Stinky_Pete

Activity: 560

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 07:14:20 PM

Dream away at finding a niche primecoin mining platform that no one else has up and running yet  Cheesy It's good to dream!
Even if true, the parallella does not require a MB, ram, an enclosure, cooling (other than maybe a single fan blowing across the entire assembly)  - and it is infinitely parallizable without any additional cost.  You cannot say the same for an i5/i7 which each require at the minimum a MB, ethernet, ram modules and cooling with some sort of enclosure and also it takes up 20X more space per unit.

I don't think the parallella is infinitely parallizable. On the board is "a dual-core ARM A9 CPU, a field programmable gate array (FPGA), and Adapteva's unique 16-core Epiphany coprocessor". Sure you can connect them into a cluster, or wait (for how long?) for the 64-core coprocessor, but modern GPUs have hundreds if not thousands of "cores", depending how you define them. So the parallella may be capable of running some version of primecoin, but it will be much slower than running the current client on a up-to-date i7.

mechs

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 07:44:54 PM

Dream away at finding a niche primecoin mining platform that no one else has up and running yet  Cheesy It's good to dream!
Even if true, the parallella does not require a MB, ram, an enclosure, cooling (other than maybe a single fan blowing across the entire assembly)  - and it is infinitely parallizable without any additional cost.  You cannot say the same for an i5/i7 which each require at the minimum a MB, ethernet, ram modules and cooling with some sort of enclosure and also it takes up 20X more space per unit.

I don't think the parallella is infinitely parallizable. On the board is "a dual-core ARM A9 CPU, a field programmable gate array (FPGA), and Adapteva's unique 16-core Epiphany coprocessor". Sure you can connect them into a cluster, or wait (for how long?) for the 64-core coprocessor, but modern GPUs have hundreds if not thousands of "cores", depending how you define them. So the parallella may be capable of running some version of primecoin, but it will be much slower than running the current client on a up-to-date i7.
well rbdbourbon thinks differently. We will see...
cycloid

Activity: 434

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2013, 03:17:17 AM

This is coin excites me but I totally dont get it, all I get is its awesome as hell and I just keep buying cause i see it bottomed out.

Keep up good work, I for some strange reason have a really good feeling about this one lol

coin@coin
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 11:38:14 AM

Are there any Win64 builds out there of the most recent source?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  

Jump to: