Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:55:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  
Author Topic: The problem with atheism.  (Read 38410 times)
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 02:50:52 PM

Where does the operating system and software come from, if not from the CPU? Is computer software just an illusion being experienced by a computer?

Computer operating systems, CPUs,and software are expressions of consciousness.  In fact, all technology is an expression of consciousness.
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
termhn

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 02:53:15 PM

Where does the operating system and software come from, if not from the CPU? Is computer software just an illusion being experienced by a computer?

Computer operating systems, CPUs,and software are expressions of consciousness.  In fact, all technology is an expression of consciousness.
Lol!
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 03:09:15 PM

Lol!

I'd love to know why you find that funny.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2013, 03:22:14 PM

I assume you believe that the software and operating system are also separate from the CPU and memory they are running on?
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 03:25:02 PM

There is no atheist agenda.

Atheism simply means "without god". There is nothing to "do".

All your activities, in the long run, are probably pointless.

That's not true - Richard Dawkins does not apply his understanding of evolution when talking about religion to the rest of human behaviour.
He limits it to belief in God.
Why doesn't he talk about people working in factories or in fields, or going to football matches?
He clearly has an agenda.

Dawkins is not "atheism", he's an atheist.

There is no atheism agenda, although some atheists may have their own agendas.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 04:44:24 PM

I assume you believe that the software and operating system are also separate from the CPU and memory they are running on?

Well, when you go to the store, can you buy software and operating systems independent of CPUs and memory?  Sure, they're different.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2013, 05:24:26 PM

Well, when you go to the store, can you buy software and operating systems independent of CPUs and memory?  Sure, they're different.

Oh, so is that how you see our "cosciousness," just software running on a computer, and the computer being (eventually, far in the future) swappable?
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 05:55:13 PM

Oh, so is that how you see our "cosciousness," just software running on a computer, and the computer being (eventually, far in the future) swappable?

Basically, yes.  I think the body is one of potentially many suitable vessels for consciousness.  I really have no idea how this would work in practice, but I've had experiences of my consciousness transcending my body, albeit briefly. 

Although, I wouldn't call consciousness just some ordinary brand of software.  I don't necessarily believe, for example, that there is something analogous to a software creator that created consciousness outside of consciousness itself.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2013, 06:10:43 PM

Basically, yes.  I think the body is one of potentially many suitable vessels for consciousness.  I really have no idea how this would work in practice, but I've had experiences of my consciousness transcending my body, albeit briefly. 

Does it matter that our cosciousness is not like software on an interchangeable CPU, but is a function of a series of physical networks in the brain, and the only way to make a copy of someone's consciousness is to make an exact physical duplicate of mesh of neurons in the brain? I.e. our minda are mor a product of physical interractions of electrons and chemicals along unique physical paths, like gears and cogs in clockwork, rather than information stored in digital form that is free to exist on any system that allows information to be written. So, sorry, I guess a better analogy/question would have been, does a wind-up clock's time keeping exist outside of it's mechanism?
But, I guess eventually, thanks to the turing principle, if computers get fast enough, such a physical/mechanical system can be simulated in a digital form...
Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 08:55:57 PM

given the often unpredictable behaviours of computers, I would have to say yes!  Grin
termhn

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 10:25:48 PM

given the often unpredictable behaviours of computers, I would have to say yes!  Grin
No, computers are perfectly predictable. If they weren't, they'd be of no use.
termhn

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 10:35:50 PM

Computers are networks of paths that electrons can take, not some higher consciousness. Learn what you're talking about before you make theories about it. Besides, we KNOW EXACTLY how computers work, we made them. There's no mystery about it like there is with the brain.
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 10:58:04 PM

Still, I don't want to harm my thoughts either, which is what a psychedelic does.

Agreed. I value my mind, and my ability to think clearly, so much that I refuse to take any such drugs, or even to get drunk on alcohol. I only have a few decades to use my brain cells (unless we hit singularity). I don't want to burn them out too quickly.
We're a hittin singularity at my concert bro.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 11:02:57 PM

Computers are networks of paths that electrons can take, not some higher consciousness. Learn what you're talking about before you make theories about it. Besides, we KNOW EXACTLY how computers work, we made them. There's no mystery about it like there is with the brain.

No shit we make them, hence they are an expression of consciousness.
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 11:04:15 PM

Does it matter that our cosciousness is not like software on an interchangeable CPU, but is a function of a series of physical networks in the brain, and the only way to make a copy of someone's consciousness is to make an exact physical duplicate of mesh of neurons in the brain? I.e. our minda are mor a product of physical interractions of electrons and chemicals along unique physical paths, like gears and cogs in clockwork, rather than information stored in digital form that is free to exist on any system that allows information to be written. So, sorry, I guess a better analogy/question would have been, does a wind-up clock's time keeping exist outside of it's mechanism?
But, I guess eventually, thanks to the turing principle, if computers get fast enough, such a physical/mechanical system can be simulated in a digital form...

I need to think about this one a little more.  Thanks!
termhn

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 11:31:05 PM

Only in the sense that consciousness allowed us to design them.
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 11:46:02 PM

Only in the sense that consciousness allowed us to design them.

Yep, something like that.
Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 07:10:13 AM

No, computers are perfectly predictable. If they weren't, they'd be of no use.

Just a joke, man.
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 03:32:39 PM

Personally, I consider the neuroscientist who actually studies, thinks and experiments on the brain to have more credibility than the stoner telling me all about god is the universe and truth and love.
Just keep in mind what kind of a guy Jesus was.

And keep in mind which completes the picture.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2013, 03:58:33 PM

Still, I don't want to harm my thoughts either, which is what a psychedelic does.

Agreed. I value my mind, and my ability to think clearly, so much that I refuse to take any such drugs, or even to get drunk on alcohol. I only have a few decades to use my brain cells (unless we hit singularity). I don't want to burn them out too quickly.
We're a hittin singularity at my concert bro.

I think uploading your brain to a machine would cause too many "BAD SECTOR" errors  Tongue

Personally, I consider the neuroscientist who actually studies, thinks and experiments on the brain to have more credibility than the stoner telling me all about god is the universe and truth and love.
Just keep in mind what kind of a guy Jesus was.

A fake one?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  

Jump to: