Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:26:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 350 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] KRAKEN.COM - Exchange with USD EUR GBP JPY CAD BTC LTC XRP NMC XDG STR ETH  (Read 628600 times)
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 10:50:42 PM

By what means can you buy/sell USD to cash/bank?

Get verified (tiers 1 and 2 are very simple and quick to do), then do a wire or sepa transfer using the deposit page. Then you can trade with the fiat you've deposited, and then do a withdrawal.

This is basically right, but the only fiat we offer for trading right now is EUR. The only way to deposit USD is to have your bank or our bank convert to EUR for the deposit. For the withdrawal, it'd have to be your bank that does the conversion back to USD since our bank won't do that.

This is a temporary situation since we'll have USD deposits fairly soon (say within a month if all goes well - and yeah, it might not).
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nitrous

Activity: 246
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 10:52:47 PM

I've just setup OTP for my account. I haven't used the API yet, but will my API keys need to use the OTP as well or is that only if I setup additional API-key-OTPs from the security page? (i.e., can I still access the API without using OTP)

Donations: 1Q2EN7TzJ6z82xvmQrRoQoMf3Tf4rMCyvL
MtGox API v2 Unofficial Documentation: https://bitbucket.org/nitrous/mtgox-api/overview
MtGox API v2 Unofficial Documentation Forum Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=164404.0
Dargo
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 10:58:55 PM

I've just setup OTP for my account. I haven't used the API yet, but will my API keys need to use the OTP as well or is that only if I setup additional API-key-OTPs from the security page? (i.e., can I still access the API without using OTP)

It's only if you set up two-factor OTP specifically for stuff that can be done with the API keys that you'd need the OTP. If you don't set it up, you can use the API without OTP.
nitrous

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 11:14:15 PM

It's only if you set up two-factor OTP specifically for stuff that can be done with the API keys that you'd need the OTP. If you don't set it up, you can use the API without OTP.

Ahh good, thanks Smiley

MtGox API v2 Unofficial Documentation: https://bitbucket.org/nitrous/mtgox-api/overview
MtGox API v2 Unofficial Documentation Forum Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=164404.0
nameface

Activity: 406

View Profile
September 09, 2013, 11:34:29 PM

CONGRATS ON THE LAUNCH! I'm a verified Commander, and I'm about to send in a small deposit  Grin

Congratulations to Jesse and team! I participated in the beta and I have been following Kraken's progress over the months with great interest. It would be great if Kraken used the XBT designation for bitcoin.
Thanks, Jon!  I'll bring up the XBT suggestion with the team.  I agree it's probably where things are headed anyway.
+1

Why not aim to make Bitcoin as friendly as possible to capital markets.

I snagged the domain XBTXRP.com last week after I had this vision where I saw the following scrolling across the ticker tape at the NYSE ->  XAU 3700 XAG 125 XBT 900 XRP 2.50  Cheesy
Dargo
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 05:41:45 AM

Please add PPC to your exchange. We have a wonderful community behind this great and growing coin. Thanks!

Our CEO addressed the possibility of a PPC pair here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=290799.msg3112257#msg3112257
Herp

Activity: 294

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 03:37:29 PM

It's front page article on Coindesk http://www.coindesk.com/kraken-opens-for-trading-with-euros-bitcoins-and-litecoins/

███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[D]ecentralized application
[E]liminated third parties
[C]ontent distribution

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

Dargo
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 04:13:44 PM

Cool - thanks!
BKM

Activity: 315

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 07:55:37 PM

Feature Request

Pending deposits of Digital Currencies with number of confirmations required to go before final
Dargo
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 08:11:30 PM

Feature Request

Pending deposits of Digital Currencies with number of confirmations required to go before final

Yep, great idea, and we're already working on it - thanks.
nitrous

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 10:27:38 PM

You should consider creating an official IRC channel on freenode Smiley

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 10:56:27 PM

I have a concern with any exchange that also supports alt-coins, and shared that concern here:
 - http://bitcoinmoney.com/post/53207712103

There are four specific scenarios I would like to know what Kraken's policy is should they occur:

A.) My Kraken exchange account holds only fiat and bitcoins, and I've never traded for Litecoins.  Would I be exposed to any risk of loss to those funds should there be a successful 51% attack against Litecoin?

B.) I have a balance of Litecoins and fiat, but had no litecoins deposited to Kraken in any block that was ultimately orphaned as the result of the 51% attack.  Would I be exposed to any risk of loss to those funds should there be a successful 51% attack against Litecoin?

C.) I had bitcoins and I traded them for Litecoins.  Following this trade the attacker released blocks that resulted in a double spend such that the Litecoins I received were from the attacker's account (i.e.,  Litecoins deposited with a transaction that no longer confirms or was double spent).  Following the successful 51% attack against Litecoin, do I still have Litecoins that I can withdraw (or trade back into Bitcoins)?

D.) I deposited litecoins from a block that utimately was orphaned as the result of a successful 51% attack against Litecoin.   Before the attack I was able to trade those litecoins for bitcoins which remain in my account.    After the successful 51% attack against Litecoin, do I stil have the ability to withdraw those bitcoins?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

btcx (OP)
VIP

Activity: 302
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2013, 11:10:42 PM

You should consider creating an official IRC channel on freenode Smiley

No way Smiley  I've seen how much time is wasted on there!

Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, Namecoin, Dogecoin, Ripple, Stellar, US dollar, euro, British pound, Canadian dollar and Japanese yen exchange:  https://www.kraken.com
pand70

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 11:24:57 PM

I have a concern with any exchange that also supports alt-coins, and shared that concern here:

There are four specific scenarios I would like to know what Kraken's policy is should they occur:

A.) My Kraken exchange account holds only fiat and bitcoins, and I've never traded for Litecoins.  Would I be exposed to any risk of loss to those funds should there be a successful 51% attack against Litecoin?

B.) I have a balance of Litecoins and fiat, but had no litecoins deposited to Kraken in any block that was ultimately orphaned as the result of the 51% attack.  Would I be exposed to any risk of loss to those funds should there be a successful 51% attack against Litecoin?

C.) I had bitcoins and I traded them for Litecoins.  Following this trade the attacker released blocks that resulted in a double spend such that the Litecoins I received were from the attacker's account (i.e.,  Litecoins deposited with a transaction that no longer confirms or was double spent).  Following the successful 51% attack against Litecoin, do I still have Litecoins that I can withdraw (or trade back into Bitcoins)?

D.) I deposited litecoins from a block that utimately was orphaned as the result of a successful 51% attack against Litecoin.   Before the attack I was able to trade those litecoins for bitcoins which remain in my account.    After the successful 51% attack against Litecoin, do I stil have the ability to withdraw those bitcoins?

You can answer all your "concerns" with common sense.
Just guess what will happen to your litecoins actual value after a 51% attack.
Same applies to bitcoins if you have the same concerns for a 51% bitcoin attack.

Dargo
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 11:49:58 PM
Last edit: September 11, 2013, 04:52:24 AM by Dargo

For those interested in depositing USD to our bank account and letting our bank handle the conversion to EUR, here's some data on the exchange rate with our bank. For an approximately $500 wire sent 9/3 and received 9/6, the EUR/USD exchange rate with our bank was about 1.39. According to google, the EUR/USD exchange rate during this time was around 1.32. So it looks like our bank is charging around 5% more than the going rate. This is very approximate and it may depend on the amount.  

Given that you'd have to use your own bank for the conversion on withdrawals anyway, we highly recommend that you handle the conversion with your bank, and hopefully you can get a much better rate.  Smiley

Edit: Remember that this business of converting to EUR is temporary. Soon we'll have deposits in other fiat, including USD of course.
btcx (OP)
VIP

Activity: 302
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2013, 01:32:31 AM

Hey Stephen,

Thanks for the questions.  We accept national currency wire transfers as settled once they hit our bank account, bitcoin transfers as settled on 6 confirmations, and litecoin transfers as settled on 12 confirmations.  No matter how astronomical the chance, the possibility exists that any of these funding methods could be reversed.  This is a risk that Payward takes and that risk is not passed on to our users.

A.)  No.  You would not be exposed to any risk.
B.)  No.  You would not be exposed to any risk.
C.)  It'd be the same for national currency, bitcoin and litecoin.  Once Payward accepts the transaction as settled, we'd assume the risk.  There may be some totally insane scenario in which a rollback makes the most sense but my preference would be to have Payward take the damage and be responsible for recovering its losses from the attacker.  One more reason to have account limits, delays, link analysis, fraud controls, KYC, etc.
D.)  So, 12 confirmations go by your ltc deposit settles, you use it to buy some btc, the longer chain appears and your deposit is rolled back to 0 confirms.  Your account would reflect a litecoin debt to us and other assets would be held as collateral.  You could withdraw those bitcoin if you had enough EUR on deposit to cover the missing LTC.  If you didn't have any other assets but the bitcoin you'd just purchased, it's likely that all of the bitcoin would be held until the litecoin transaction reconfirmed.

Payward keeps its operating funds, both national and digital currencies, separate from our customer funds.  The bank account you deposit funds to is an account for the benefit of our users--we're holding it on behalf of another person.  Those funds are not available to general creditors.  Unfortunately, there's nobody we can trust with the digital currencies but it's the same thing there.. we keep customer funds and our own funds separate and accounted for separately.  Contrary to what that article suggests, this exchange does have a lot of its own money on the line.  The founders, having largely funded the development out of their own pockets, are in for over 7 figures--we've got a lot to lose.

Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, Namecoin, Dogecoin, Ripple, Stellar, US dollar, euro, British pound, Canadian dollar and Japanese yen exchange:  https://www.kraken.com
RationalSpeculator

Activity: 294

This bull will try to shake you off. Hold tight!

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 01:46:08 PM

The verification process is NOT going smoothly! I submitted my address 2 days ago, still not verified, I submitted my passport and proof of residence yesterday, also nothing done.

With Bitstamp it was done the same day.

Due to this I still did not transfer fiat, because you can't even see the SEPA data. With bitstamp I could do that right away.

Support system is also not finished. First it didn't work, then after signing in (again) it did, but then you guys did not even know who I was when you replied. A good thing you did reply the same day though.
matt608

Activity: 882

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 03:06:48 PM

Will you consider adding a BTC/PPC trading pair?  Also in Safari for me the site doesn't work at all.

It's Safari 5.1.9 on my Macbook running 10.6.8.  It looses is formatting and turns into a page with links and the latest prices and text etc running in a single column on the left, I'm assuming its supposed to have a nice design! Hope that helps Smiley

I understand about PPC, but I do think it being a proof-of-stake coin it's a worthy alternative coin to Bitcoin that deserves a place on the exchange.
Dargo
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 05:51:41 PM

Rational Spectator,

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulties. Some things are rocky at launch, but we are working hard on the solutions.

The verification process is NOT going smoothly! I submitted my address 2 days ago, still not verified, I submitted my passport and proof of residence yesterday, also nothing done.

With Bitstamp it was done the same day.

Yep, some aspects of verification are taking longer than they should. If tier 2 (address) verification doesn't pass automatically, it needs to be verified manually, and this process is slow right now. I'm told we'll probably have a fix in place for this later today to speed this up. Also, as I've mentioned before in this thread, tier 3 verification is going to be slow initially. But are you sure your address didn't get verified? The system shouldn't let you enter ID and proof of residence without address verification.

Due to this I still did not transfer fiat, because you can't even see the SEPA data. With bitstamp I could do that right away.
If your tier 2 verification is still pending, then bank deposit info won't show up for you, since you don't have clearance for bank deposits yet. This is part of our regulatory compliance.

Support system is also not finished. First it didn't work, then after signing in (again) it did,

Do you have any more information on the failure? Say an error message? This would help us troubleshoot.

but then you guys did not even know who I was when you replied. A good thing you did reply the same day though.

Thanks for pointing this out. It's true that we don't know who you are in Zendesk unless you tell us, and this can be an inconvenience because it can create an extra round of communication as we ask for your info then you write back. Our initial thought with Zendesk was that we didn't want to automatically input customer info in there, since we don't have control over Zendesk security. But there's no reason why we can't have the public account ID automatically input to Zendesk since it's safe to share publicly - this is the solution I've proposed due to your input. But for now users will have to tell us who they are for certain support requests, and the safest way to do this is give us your public account ID (found under Account > Settings).
Dargo
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 06:02:44 PM

Will you consider adding a BTC/PPC trading pair?  Also in Safari for me the site doesn't work at all.

It's Safari 5.1.9 on my Macbook running 10.6.8.  It looses is formatting and turns into a page with links and the latest prices and text etc running in a single column on the left, I'm assuming its supposed to have a nice design! Hope that helps Smiley

I understand about PPC, but I do think it being a proof-of-stake coin it's a worthy alternative coin to Bitcoin that deserves a place on the exchange.

Thanks for the followup info. PPC is an interesting altcoin, and we are open to the possibility of offering it, but realistically even looking into the possibility is going to be a low priority for quite some time.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 350 »
  Print  

Jump to: