Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:37:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I am quitting ICO's  (Read 6085 times)
GeniusAko

Activity: 434
Merit: 117

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 02:39:48 PM

I decided to quit ICO's. From December till now I invested about 5 eth into several ICO's. Invest what you can miss, this is what was able to miss.

Right now the first few of my ICO's have reached the exchanges. Most are under performing, but this is related to the overall dip (can be read everywhere). I understand, but ICO token economics have changed also.

• massive hardcaps
  • most is sold in pre-sale to big investors, leaving scraps for crowdsale
  • much attention to marketing, less to working product or realistic time lines
  • immediately available on EtherDelta and IDEX, sure sign of little interest in token economics/future
  • no lock on pre-sale tokens, whales take their x2, x3 or x-whatever as soon as possible (I would probably have done the same). Prices drop to below ICO price.
  • too many ICO's without distinctive differences.
  • too many ICO's in general
  • too much tokens reserved for team/marketing
  • many ICO's don't even have a crowdsale anymore (which perhaps is a good thing as the little investors are protected this way)
  • ICO prizes are quite high. 1eth = 1000/4000 tokens is pretty common, but with a hc of 40 million, this will not easily go x10 or more.

I was 'unlucky' to miss out on a few ICO's besides the ones I was able to participate in. Afterwards I am glad, since I was able to pick most up at a fraction of the ICO price.

Important as ever: DYOR as not all ICO's have a genuine solution to a genuine problem. Some may seem like a fantastic solution, but often it is marketing combined with a strong team, and not so much a great working product.

And who am I? I am definitely a nobody Tongue, but still wanted to share my experiences and perhaps save people from thinking of getting on board of the next x100 ICO Smiley

p.s. when a Telegram has over 20k subscribers all screaming 'when lambo' with endless rows of animated gifs, you may also wonder if this is a serious block chain solution which will revolutionize 'x' Smiley
You have a good point that there are now many shit ICOs projects. Most of the ICOs nowadays are only focusing to get big amount of money from investors, they are not focusing on how they will improve their products.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
marineboss

Activity: 154
Merit: 3

Korean Syndicate / Translator

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 02:53:29 PM

I agree with your point - I think they still hold to this day, since you see so many ICOs that are ongoing but have some vague message about how their revolutionary technology will forever change X. As soon as I read the whitepaper, I wonder whether their business model will be sustainable, but at the same time, from an "investor's" perspective, most people just look at how much money they can reap.

This is kind of a ridiculous game, to be honest.

▐ | ██ | ██ | ██ ||     DAOstack.io     || ██ | ██ | ██ | ▌
AN OPERATING SYSTEM FOR COLLECTIVE INTELLIGENCE
BitProCoin

Activity: 238
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 03:04:41 PM

I'm not. I think that depend on the ICO we are entering. I think better to ask, research, question and etc. Do some background check of the ICO before joining, to see if its scam.
MakLampir

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 03:19:29 PM

Yes, your point of view is correct, I think 2018 ICO prices are falling, which found no ICO price is rising, perhaps because of the encryption market is very weak.

But I'm not going to give up ICO, I still invest in ICO.
Pejoh Asu

Activity: 1484
Merit: 254

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 03:31:05 PM

Do not worry if you previously got scam, sure there are many reliable and worthy ICO we follow so we can get big profit after ICO is over, with long experience then we will understand business of ICO.

▄▄███▄    ▄███▄▄
     ▄▀▀    █    █    ▀▀▄
    ██    ▄▄▀    ▀▄▄    ██
    ▀▄▄▄█▀▀        ▀▀█▄▄▄▀
  ▄▄█▀█▄              ▄█▀█▄▄
▄█▀     ▀▀█▄     ▄▄█▀▀     ▀█▄
██          ▀█▄▄█▀          ██
▀█▄     ▄▄▄█▀▀  ▀▀▀▄▄▄     ▄█▀
  ▀█▄▄▄▀▀            ▀▀▄▄▄█▀
   █▀▀▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▀▀█
   ██  ▀▀▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▀  ██
    ▀▄     █      █     ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▀      ▀▄▄▄▀▀
cogwise
  ▄
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █

█
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █
  ▀
Hyper-charge your trading with intelligent insights   ▄
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █

█
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █
  ▀
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄███
███▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄███
███▀               ████
███▄              █████
████▄            ██████
█████▄▄        ▄███████
████▄       ▄██████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀

▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████▀▀█████
███████████▀▀▀    █████
██████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ██████
███▄     ▄█▀     ██████
██████▄ █▀      ███████
███████▌▐       ███████
████████ ▄██▄  ████████
██████████████▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀

▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
█████  ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▀███████
█████  █████  ██▄▀█████
█████  █▀▀██▄▄▄▄  █████
█████  █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █████

█████  █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █████
█████  █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █████
█████  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀

gaxfrwpy

Activity: 164
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 03:40:46 PM

I think it's wise to give up ICO at this time. Many projects have only a fuzzy concept, and they do not have a specific business, and many projects need to pay a lot of money to enter the exchange, which will change back through the sharp fluctuations in the price after the token enters the exchange.
apolonio

Activity: 224

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 03:53:14 PM

It is the opposite of my decision because i will not quiting icos. Your point good to have an information to others that will start to invest. The good thing to do is choose well in investing in ico because not all icos are fake.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     │      JINBI      │       T H E   G O L D E N   I C O     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████████                     JOIN ICO  -  21st  J U N E                     ████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄          Whitepaper       Telegram       Twitter       Reddit           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
darefreads

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 04:37:27 PM

Yes I agree with your point but I will not quit participating some ICO's because I know that not all ICO are the same even it is too risky to invest our money you just need to be more careful in choosing them to invest your money. Reading their project and and observing their teams are the best things to do in joining some of them.
inquirybanjoE

Activity: 32

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 04:42:07 AM

Whenever you try to access ICOs, you get vulnerable to any hack probability and so better to keep away from it.
webdevmastery

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 04:51:30 AM

I decided to quit ICO's. From December till now I invested about 5 eth into several ICO's. Invest what you can miss, this is what was able to miss.

Right now the first few of my ICO's have reached the exchanges. Most are under performing, but this is related to the overall dip (can be read everywhere). I understand, but ICO token economics have changed also.

• massive hardcaps
  • immediately available on EtherDelta and IDEX, sure sign of little interest in token economics/future
  • no lock on pre-sale tokens, whales take their x2, x3 or x-whatever as soon as possible (I would probably have done the same). Prices drop to below ICO price.
  • many ICO's don't even have a crowdsale anymore (which perhaps is a good thing as the little investors are protected this way)
  • ICO prizes are quite high. 1eth = 1000/4000 tokens is pretty common, but with a hc of 40 million, this will not easily go x10 or more.

I was 'unlucky' to miss out on a few ICO's besides the ones I was able to participate in. Afterwards I am glad, since I was able to pick most up at a fraction of the ICO price.

Important as ever: DYOR as not all ICO's have a genuine solution to a genuine problem. Some may seem like a fantastic solution, but often it is marketing combined with a strong team, and not so much a great working product.

And who am I? I am definitely a nobody Tongue, but still wanted to share my experiences and perhaps save people from thinking of getting on board of the next x100 ICO Smiley

p.s. when a Telegram has over 20k subscribers all screaming 'when lambo' with endless rows of animated gifs, you may also wonder if this is a serious block chain solution which will revolutionize 'x' Smiley

It was very unfortunate for you to invest on an ico that has failing their platform because there are a lot of ico's today who are successful in their project and you should not give up on looking for an ico or joining their community.
Lan75
Copper Member

Activity: 363
Merit: 9

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 05:07:25 AM

• massive hardcaps

It is now very hard to recognized a legitimate ICO to invest. On my experience in investing in ICO is not good because the price of token dropped to 50 percent of it's ICO price and now i am waiting for to recover to it's ICO price or more before i could make any move on that token that i had. Surely i am going to lose money if i am going to sell it now.
DevilSlayer

Activity: 1414
Merit: 358

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 05:22:17 AM

• massive hardcaps

Investors are keep making investment to ICOs due to its profitability. There are many people who loses their money in ICOs because their knowledge is not enough. It is better if we will research well first before we participate in ICOs.
jcarlo

Activity: 798
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 06:59:07 AM

Some ICOs success when landed on exchange and some dont. Its depend on the community, because i think the dev team can not control the price in the market. Its true that join on ICOs sometimes give us many bonus but many people dump the bonus when token landed on exchanger and thats make the price fall.
I am better investing my money on token/coin that already exist in market because we can research more deeper
marlo1001

Activity: 359

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 10:17:18 AM

I get what you are saying but we need to point out that there are so many ICO's that being launched every now and again which makes them less profitable for the investors than they could be. Even though there are still some ICO's that look promising and can bring profit.

████          O W N R   W A L L E T          ████   VISA PREPAID CARD    ████  Use crypto to pay in stores with OWNR  ████
❱❱❱❱ ❱❱❱ ❱❱ ❱     Buy, send, receive and exchange crypto        VISA    mastercard   SPA    UnionPay     ❰ ❰❰ ❰❰❰ ❰❰❰❰
BLOG       TWITTER     ██ █▌█ ▌     Manage crypto and VISA card in OWNR Wallet app    ▐ █▐█ ██     REDDIT   YOUTUBE
BarbusseH

Activity: 193

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 10:37:23 AM

You do not have to take any advertised ICO. Choose with a good team and with a partially working product. You can evaluate by its need for end users and the likelihood of occupying a market niche.
fight-T

Activity: 98

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 12:26:52 PM

Many potential ICOs are quitting at some point for a variety of reasons such as impatience, not finding the major trading floors, the need for cash.
Therefore, before investing in an ICO project we should find out that the ICO has the potential and future development basis, bringing benefits to the community, the opportunity to make a profit from the that ICO.
tony kurniawan

Activity: 151

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 01:25:00 PM

• massive hardcaps

I think not all ico are scams, but many ico are nice and have the potential to grow. If you ever fooled with ico do not think all ico is a scam, try to bounce back and see ico in a positive manner.
ChConcept

Activity: 196
Merit: 1

The Experience Layer of the Decentralized Internet

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 01:46:19 PM

I understand your points of view about ICOs and why you have decided to quit on them. Your concerns and points are true and very much valid, like there are a lot of ICOs out there and most of them are just for scams or other bad activities. Though these statements are true, I can say that it can't still deny the fact that a lot of people are still into it and are doing it properly and it is letting them earn clean money, hard earned money for their families, just like me, I am still into it. It is helping me earn something for my family,  so just an advise we just really need to be very careful on which ICO to invest into.

╔═◼ CARDSTACK ◼═╗
The Experience Layer of the Decentralized Internet (https://cardstack.com/)
patrickj

Activity: 490
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 01:48:48 PM

Some ICO's once recorded in the trades the group don't effectively improve their venture. Contributing an ICO's are not productive nowadays such a large number of cheats after they collected colossal cash. Just couple of I can state great and consistent with their words since they take after their guide and guarantee to exercise the venture.
Maame Esi Sergio

Activity: 112

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2018, 02:13:18 PM

Thus quite an incredible analysis. I have personally had problem with the equivalence of ICO prizes with ethereum. Selling thousands of a particular token for just one coin is quite a bad marketing strategy. Thanks for that analysis. With the issue of too much ICO, its all because there are no legit ways to check ICOs. Most also have unrealistic ideas that you can't even comprehend. Untill a a good mechanism is put in place to check ICOs, it will be risky to invest much.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  

Jump to: