Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:35:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 65 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bill gates says cryptocurrency is bad  (Read 148389 times)
Nalbo (OP)

Activity: 870
Merit: 125

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 02:42:26 AM
Merited by tk808 (5)

In his own reddit AskMeEverything page, https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/80ow6w/im_bill_gates_cochair_of_the_bill_melinda_gates/

He answers about cryptocurrency stating
“The main feature of crypto currencies is their anonymity. I don't think this is a good thing. The Government’s ability to find money laundering and tax evasion and terrorist funding is a good thing. Right now crypto currencies are used for buying fentanyl and other drugs so it is a rare technology that has caused deaths in a fairly direct way. I think the speculative wave around ICOs and crypto currencies is super risky for those who go long.”

He isn't wrong in his sense, if the cryptocurrency is to have a future, they should be able to create an environment of trust between themselves and the authorities.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pikatju

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

https://wallet.merit.me/?invite=Pikachu

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 02:52:32 AM

Seems like Bill Gates is a bit out of touch with the use case of most coins and tokens. In a way he's right that there's not much legitimate use at the moment besides hoping for price increase. But soon the tokens will begin to play a role in many people's life and we will see broad adoption.

Leftneck

Activity: 476
Merit: 10

A Blockchain Mobile Operator With Token Rewards

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 03:00:28 AM

In his own reddit AskMeEverything page, https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/80ow6w/im_bill_gates_cochair_of_the_bill_melinda_gates/

“The main feature of crypto currencies is their anonymity. I don't think this is a good thing. The Government’s ability to find money laundering and tax evasion and terrorist funding is a good thing. Right now crypto currencies are used for buying fentanyl and other drugs so it is a rare technology that has caused deaths in a fairly direct way. I think the speculative wave around ICOs and crypto currencies is super risky for those who go long.”

He isn't wrong in his sense, if the cryptocurrency is to have a future, they should be able to create an environment of trust between themselves and the authorities.

everyone has a view of each.
some say crypto is bad and some are good too.
if someone has good experience in crypto, then surely the person will say that crypto is good. then recommend it to others.
so far the view of crypto is still good. I do not know of the person who said the crypto was bad from where it came from. and surely that person has his own reasons.

△ M!R△CLE TELE   ▌  BRINGING MAGIC TO THE TELECOM INDUSTRY  ▐   JOIN US NOW!
▐▐   40% Biweekly Rewards     ▬▬▬   Calls at €0.2   ▬▬▬     Traffic from €0.01 worldwide   ▌▌
▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  Lightpaper  Bounty  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram   ▬▬▬▬▬▬
limmousine

Activity: 546
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 03:10:05 AM

That's a reasonable opinion, if they just look from the bad side of crypto, but we must also consider the positive side of crypto. There are many advantages that I have felt, when wanting to send money abroad or shopping abroad by using crypto and crypto has reduced a lot of unemployment in my country. Pros and cons are always happening and dissent are natural, in the future we have to find a solution to prevent others from using crypto for illegal and unlawful acts.

I heard that Microsoft plans to build a Decentralized Digital Identity and Blockchain, read this article.
https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2018/02/12/decentralized-digital-identities-and-blockchain-the-future-as-we-see-it/
Acguy

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 03:14:31 AM

Everyone has their own opinions, but he's not wrong about the crypto market being risky even Vitalik said that the crypto market can go to near zero any time. Only time will tell who's right and wrong.

▄██▄
         ▄██████▄
       ▄███▀  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀ ▄██▄ ▀███▄
   ▄███▀ ▄██▀▀██▄ ▀███▄
 ▄███▀ ▄██▀    ▀▀▀  ▀███▄
██████████████████████
 ▀███▄  ▄▄▄    ▄██▀ ▄███▀
   ▀███▄ ▀██▄▄██▀ ▄███▀
     ▀███▄ ▀██▀ ▄███▀
       ▀███▄  ▄███▀
         ▀██████▀
           ▀██▀
███
███
  █
███
    █
█ 
█ 
█ 

███
  █
███
███
███
███
  █
███
    █
█ 
█ 
█ 

███
  █
███
███
           ▄██▄
         ▄██████▄
       ▄███▀  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀ ▄██▄ ▀███▄
   ▄███▀ ▄██▀▀██▄ ▀███▄
 ▄███▀ ▄██▀    ▀▀▀  ▀███▄
██████████████████████████
 ▀███▄  ▄▄▄    ▄██▀ ▄███▀
   ▀███▄ ▀██▄▄██▀ ▄███▀
     ▀███▄ ▀██▀ ▄███▀
       ▀███▄  ▄███▀
         ▀██████▀
           ▀██▀
ANN Thread     WhitePaper
Facebook     Telegram     Twitter
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███
███
  █
███
    █
█ 
█ 
█ 

███
  █
███
███
sylance

Activity: 392
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 03:17:47 AM

So I'm assuming Bill Gates wants to confiscate all paper money and just do digital?  If we sum up the amount of illegal activity in cash and that in crypto... I think we know the one out front.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
Duzenn

Activity: 252
Merit: 10

The Experience Layer of the Decentralized Internet

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 03:18:09 AM

Everyone has a different view, Bill Gates does not deny block chain, but at present most of the ICO project is project of fraud, it's also a fact that, so the encryption monetary value still need time to confirm.

joemanabat05

Activity: 168
Merit: 13

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 03:19:32 AM

Bill gates had his own opinion and that's the kind opinion he have. Yes the cryptocurrency is making a huge impact to the community, but it doesn't mean that is bad also for us. We people know already what is right and wrong. Its up to you if you continue living on a crypto world.
CucuH4rlan

Activity: 60
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 03:30:51 AM

everyone has a view of each.
some say crypto is bad and some are good too.
if someone has good experience in crypto, then surely the person will say that crypto is good. then recommend it to others.
so far the view of crypto is still good. I do not know of the person who said the crypto was bad from where it came from. and surely that person has his own reasons.
Agree! Everyone is free to argue about anything. Everyone's opinions come from different ways and points of view. If I think in terms of the risk of crypto currency can look less so good. Because in terms of prices tend to be unstable, and this can cause a person can not maintain it for long periods of time.
pawanjain

Activity: 2674
Merit: 713

Nothing lasts forever

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 03:31:15 AM

That is his point of view and I appreciate his decision because its for a good cause. I don't fully agree with his decision though. Cryptocurrencies in general have a borad usage and anonymity is not the only feature of it. There are people who misuse it for wrong purposes and certain measures can/should be taken against it. But there are quite a whole lot of other things for which cryptocurrencies can be used. I believe the positives are quite more than the negatives.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
SGToken

Activity: 462
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 03:32:28 AM

Everyone says Windows sucks!
iconoclast

Activity: 770

Matrix Built On An Ethereum Smart Contract

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 03:34:02 AM

Bill Gates is wrong. Money laundering, drug dealing and tax evasion existed long before cryptocurrencies and I doubt that even now that Crypto even has a 1% market share of those activities. Right now the main use of cryptocurrency is in making it easy for people to crowdfund new businesses and that is a very good thing.

bongiu

Activity: 434

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 03:42:14 AM

From my point of view, altcoins nowadays are used to create fortunes out of mere speculation and to foster crime activity due to their anonimity (which is what Mr. Gates states). It all depends on the use you give to altcoins. Plus, fiat currencies are way more used to buy drugs and other sources of crime activity than altcoins.
Alpha0One1

Activity: 588
Merit: 107

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 03:48:01 AM

Who is Bill Gates?!?  Huh J/K  Grin

In the near future, we'll see a Microsoft Windows OS, integrated with their own cryptocurrency blockchain.

Remember the time that Microsoft did not have a browser, it was dominated by Netscape.
Then on their Windows95, they released MS Internet Explorer. Same thing will happen.

The day will come that they will make their own cryptocurrency integrated within their OS.

Mark this post

acell101

Activity: 109
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 03:55:30 AM

Well its his opinion but I think whether there is bitcoin or dont criminals will always find ways to fund there selves, They can use any type of currency like dollars or what. Bitcoin is just like any normal currency can be purchase in any kinds of trading.
shahani

Activity: 140
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 03:57:06 AM

This is a question talking about the negative effects of crypto, which is used and accessed by some criminals, actually it depends upon of some personalities, if a certan person having a bad business and she or he has a bitcoin which they used to made a bad transactions against the law, so therefore the liabilities found are only the person and not the cryptocurrency. And to the people who used crypto in a good business transactions, there's no liabilities from them or any acts of bad actions that can affects crypto name.

╔═██|   investaco.in   |██═════  Pre ICO : May 1st, 2018  ═╗
╚  JOIN THE NEW BREED WHO WILL INHERIT THE DIGITAL EARTH!  ╝
dedelp01

Activity: 121
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 04:00:44 AM

There are people who has there own point of view in this kind of matters, It always depends on how the person uses cryptocurrency. He may have a point but some also does. In short, no one is wrong about their opinion as long as its possible though Smiley

ZENODYS.com ││ Making every digital asset just a drag and drop away
●   PRE-ICO  |  LIVE   ●
Teraboy

Activity: 2282
Merit: 505

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 04:24:19 AM

For some points and it makes sense for me. But billgates is not judging the crypto directly. It just like billgates was trying to give his opinion regarding the main purpose of crypto and how the correlation to the goverment itself.
I remember microsoft online store was accepting bitcoin as a payment in the past but due to the extreme volatility and it has been removed by the way.

It seems the long-term players must be careful because crypto is pure speculation.
shahzadafzal
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 2896

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 04:48:41 AM

Punctuation are corrected now.

The main feature of crypto currencies. Is their anonymity? I don't think. This is a good thing. The Governments ability to
find money laundering and tax evasion and terrorist funding is a good thing. Right now crypto currencies are used for
buying. Fentanyl and other drugs so it is. A rare technology. That? Has caused deaths? In a fairly direct way.I think the
speculative wave around ICOs and crypto currencies. Is super risky? for those who go long.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Johnyz

Activity: 2086
Merit: 193

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 04:52:37 AM

Crptocurrency is bad to those people who know nothing about this because of the risk. Bill Gates might right but we have our own opinion and if you think you are confident enough with this then go for it after all those big guys will use bitcoin soon and promote their own coins.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 65 »
  Print  

Jump to: