Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:04:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 14 merit bonus for quality users [Jr to Sr. Member]  (Read 4781 times)
Ginzink

Activity: 462
Merit: 118

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 09:59:45 AM

This is a really good initiative Smiley
I will risk it, maybe the previous 20 are not my best but if il end up getting input on how to improve instead of merit that is a win for me aswell Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Silent26

Activity: 602
Merit: 326

Politeness: 1227: - 0 / +1

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 10:05:53 AM
Last edit: March 05, 2018, 10:17:30 AM by Silent26

Hi Mr. Actmyname. Please have a review to my posts and please give me a feedback if I'm still not worth of having Merits. I always put my best effort in my posts that's why I'm confident, and hoping that I will receive Merits from you Smiley . But I'm still risking.

By the way.
Thank you Sir.

404 Not Found
actmyname (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2504

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2018, 03:42:22 PM

Locked for review. I'll bump the thread later after I finish compiling the results. There's a lot to go through and I do check for the context in the thread. After all, you can't just go posting the same thing that's been said Wink

actmyname (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2018, 02:21:42 AM
Last edit: March 13, 2018, 02:50:27 AM by actmyname

Nice initiative Smiley Seems that some of my recent posts are rather short answers to beginner FAQs, but I’ll take the chance anyway.
Hi act, not to complain but i'd like to have my posts reviewed.
Check my previous posts and if it looks good just merit them
I am not proud of those 20 posts but I think I can test them here if that is worthy of merit or not. hope you can spend some time looking at them.
Most are good. Some are not.
Please spend a couple of minutes and take a forensic look at my account. I hope I can passed through your strict rules, if not I will try more and come back later.
Thanks for your time, Sir.
Surprisingly good quality.
Hello? Thanks for doing this. Kindly look at my profile and I hope I win these merit prize.
No. I do not condone any of those "good project" posts.
I request you to review my posts. Please excuse the fact that few of them are "report" posts as they were mandated by some of the bounty programs. Other than that you should be able to find some decent posts. Cheers!
That's a lot of report posts. About half of the posts are okay, and half are not.
That's page 1.

We have good contributions, and we have good ideas, but language is a barrier, especially when we don't have a local forum in the BCT forum, so "Merit" is a Something very far away @@
You have a lot of bounty posts there so I'm only considering the ~5 posts that are actual responses. They aren't good.
Please consider my post history; I seek not merit for my own glory, but to dispense to the worthy minions in that most red-headed stepchild of subforums: altcoins\mining.
Good quality all around, save a few posts.
I think this is my good post
Not really relevant what you think, especially since that post is months old. And your recent post quality isn't that great.
Go on then, why not?
:/
Forums need more such people, quality posts are always not be found, different languages can not know whether it is a high quality post.
Can't accept the one-liners.
I would like to join this contest Smiley feel free to look at my last 20 posts.
Most are good. Some are in long threads and thus the quality becomes diluted.
you can look at my last 20 post. not all of them are quality post because I'm a bounty hunter but I have made some really quality post.
I disagree.
Sir, feel free to check my recent posts and I hope you like it.
I do not.
Hello! A steep charity event! Maybe my messages turn out to be good? Check please!)
No. They're not.
Mostly I am post on Russian, and I think my last 20 was not bad)
I can't do anything if I don't understand the language.
Ben
Ben.
This is cool and most challenging. You can review my last twenty posts if it's worth the merit giveaway don't hesitate to throw it my way but if it isn't then cool.
Cool.
Anyways, I hope that my last 20 posts are good enough to get the 14 merit points. I will try my luck here.
They are not.
I'd like to give it a shot, please feel free to take a look at my recent 20 posts, I hope they are qualified enough to get your 14 merits  Grin
They are not.
Thus ends page 2.

Lovecove

Activity: 161
Merit: 38

(Thank you for all the merit =) ) ~Lovecove!

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 04:18:51 AM

Nice initiative Smiley Seems that some of my recent posts are rather short answers to beginner FAQs, but I’ll take the chance anyway.
Hi act, not to complain but i'd like to have my posts reviewed.
Check my previous posts and if it looks good just merit them
I am not proud of those 20 posts but I think I can test them here if that is worthy of merit or not. hope you can spend some time looking at them.
Most are good. Some are not.
Please spend a couple of minutes and take a forensic look at my account. I hope I can passed through your strict rules, if not I will try more and come back later.
Thanks for your time, Sir.
Surprisingly good quality.
Hello? Thanks for doing this. Kindly look at my profile and I hope I win these merit prize.
No. I do not condone any of those "good project" posts.
I request you to review my posts. Please excuse the fact that few of them are "report" posts as they were mandated by some of the bounty programs. Other than that you should be able to find some decent posts. Cheers!
That's a lot of report posts. About half of the posts are okay, and half are not.
That's page 1.

We have good contributions, and we have good ideas, but language is a barrier, especially when we don't have a local forum in the BCT forum, so "Merit" is a Something very far away @@
You have a lot of bounty posts there so I'm only considering the ~5 posts that are actual responses. They aren't good.
Please consider my post history; I seek not merit for my own glory, but to dispense to the worthy minions in that most red-headed stepchild of subforums: altcoins\mining.
Good quality all around, save a few posts.
I think this is my good post
Not really relevant what you think, especially since that post is months old. And your recent post quality isn't that great.
Go on then, why not?
:/
Forums need more such people, quality posts are always not be found, different languages can not know whether it is a high quality post.
Can't accept the one-liners.
I would like to join this contest Smiley feel free to look at my last 20 posts.
Most are good. Some are in long threads and thus the quality becomes diluted.
you can look at my last 20 post. not all of them are quality post because I'm a bounty hunter but I have made some really quality post.
I disagree.
Sir, feel free to check my recent posts and I hope you like it.
I do not.
Hello! A steep charity event! Maybe my messages turn out to be good? Check please!)
No. They're not.
Mostly I am post on Russian, and I think my last 20 was not bad)
I can't do anything if I don't understand the language.
Ben
Ben.
This is cool and most challenging. You can review my last twenty posts if it's worth the merit giveaway don't hesitate to throw it my way but if it isn't then cool.
Cool.
Anyways, I hope that my last 20 posts are good enough to get the 14 merit points. I will try my luck here.
They are not.
I'd like to give it a shot, please feel free to take a look at my recent 20 posts, I hope they are qualified enough to get your 14 merits  Grin
They are not.
Thus ends page 2.

Wait, did my posts really get disqualified just because they're in long threads? I understand that this is your giveaway and these are your rules.

It's just that, I honestly was led to believe that the only quality that mattered was my post, and not the overall thread they're in. I don't think that's fair that if a post gets buried in a long thread, it loses quality.. but okay.

Thank you for taking the time to review my posts.

Visit now if you're interested in buying these domains: EtherMining.org, CryptoMovement.org, Bitcoiner.Co
edhp

Activity: 112
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 04:34:39 AM

Game on! Some of my previous 20 posts are in local boards (Philippines) and maybe 2-3 in bounties. You can disregard those if you want.
Gusbaaa

Activity: 63
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 05:21:44 AM

I think that your account should be taken or that you should be given your status back, I do not believe that ICO management is meritorious enough.
actmyname (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2018, 05:30:57 AM

Wait, did my posts really get disqualified just because they're in long threads? I understand that this is your giveaway and these are your rules.
Context matters. I don't see the point of adding to a discussion that already has 50+ replies because 99% of the time the content in your reply will have been made already and you will be effectively adding nothing to a meaningless discussion. Is that understandable?

The reviews are at my discretion. And just because I don't say something doesn't mean it isn't factored in during the reviews.

haroldtee

Activity: 644
Merit: 299

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 07:04:15 AM

Ok! Let's do this!! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=1017737;sa=showPosts ... I hope I make it.
sakib.bro

Activity: 140
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 08:11:45 AM

Hi,

I have 42 activity points and soon i will need 10 merit points to move to Member rank.
I participate in bounties and dont consider myself to be a spammer (and certainly not a scammer Grin)
I participate in translation bounties which of course take time to do properly but I cant really have any influence on whether people will give me merit points or not.

If you think I deserve some merit for them well thats just great 

If you dont think I should get any merit I will accept that as well. In that case maybe I can try and find some information that you didnt know.
Let me know what you think.
nullius
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 2610

If you don’t do PGP, you don’t do crypto!

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2018, 09:45:47 AM

This is actually not the first time I’ve heard the idea of testing people’s self-confidence with a merit/trust gambling thread.  But the version I heard before had a losing proposition of negative trust feedback.  Not a neutral tag.

actmyname, I will take your wager—but only on double-down terms:  Twice whatever you give others, if you think my last 20 posts are overall meritorious—or a red tag from you, if you don’t.

Why?

I am against the whole concept of merit faucets.  Straight from the early days of the merit system (while my merit score was still in double-digits), I argued that merit should only be earned organically.  The system will work optimally if merit is awarded only in the ordinary course of writing and reading—the production, consumption, and trade of thoughts.

A faucet offering +1 might be relatively benign; but if somebody stands to gain a whopping +14, that person should take a serious risk on his self-confidence.  A formally neutral tag is not a sufficient risk of loss, regardless of its comment.  Think you’re good?  Prepare to be richly rewarded, if you’re right—or shot at dawn, if you’re wrong.

Now, here is what I wrote as to this suggestion before:

Elitist that I am, I approve of the idea....  But be forewarned... [such a wager] would wind up red-tagging a large crowd of quite sincere people who are neither spammers nor beggars.

As a basic fact of human nature, the vast majority of people innately lack the capacity for accurate self-judgment.  The few exceptions are perforce exceptional in other ways, and thus would never need [a merit gamble].

Take me, for example.  I would [take this wager], if I needed it to rank up.  Indeed, I have sufficient confidence in myself to use myself as this example—whereas I know that if my self-assessment be inflated, I would come off with empty conceits, and thus lose [] respect.  But I wouldn’t and don’t need to ask for merit, on any terms whatsoever.  I’m not saying that on the basis of my current merit score...  I started with zero, less than a month ago.

Now, take a contrary example.

Observe that hilarious awarded me +5 for lancing an apparently sincere person’s abysmal misjudgment of the quality of his own poor, unrecognized posts.  I think that demonstrates my point both ways; and despite this sample size being unscientifically small, general experience with human nature will show it to be widely applicable.

OP there seemed confident.  He was not even hitting a faucet:  He started a thread to criticize the merit system, largely on the evidentiary basis that his own most excellent posts had gone unnoticed.  I don’t doubt that he put significant effort into his posts; and this may have the substantive basis of his self-confidence, whereas only the smartest students truly understand why professors do not award As for effort.  He may very well have been sufficiently confident to risk red distrust.

I do need to take back the part about not asking for merit “on any terms whatsoever”, insofar as since then, I have hit a merit faucet—once.  It’s run by one of the wittiest men on the forum; and I did it not from any need for the offered +1 to “rank up”, but rather, to fulfill a sentimental wish that merit be awarded to a post dear to my heart:

Ignoring the principal rule of this thread, I here present not what I claim to be my best post, but rather, the post which constituted my debut in the Development & Technology Discussion forum.  It is the ninth post in my account’s history, made three days after I actively started posting.

Let us see if this post be truly Nullian:

• Pro-SegwitCheck.
  • Quotes Greg Maxwell?  Check.
  • Like, technical and stuff?  Check.
  • Explains that miners have exactly one function, Byzantine fault-tolerant ordering of transactions?  Check.
  • Insults the stupid and the Btrash of the world?  Check.
  • Sprinkled liberally with informative hyperlinks?  Check.
  • Diatribe”?  Check.  Alternates between solemn seriousness and scathing sarcasmCheck.
  • Asks, “Cui bono?”  Check.
  • Uses two spaces after a full stop and Unicode fancy quotesCheck; and, check!

I suppose it’s mine!

Though I am quoting it per the rules, I do hope that this link will be clicked (hint, hint).  The post feels so lonely, now sliding down to page 40 of my post history.  It has not been awarded any merit—none!  This is my first time ever hitting a merit faucet; and thus, now is my chance to whine justly complain about how nobody notices Newbie-ranked posts:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2469397.msg25696091#msg25696091

[—snip—]

I have also recently gained much more merit than that (+15) by winning a contest.  The contest is for a good cause:  Encouraging post quality through a sportsmanlike competetion, and building a healthy culture against signature spam.  Only the top three contestants each week can get anything at all.  It also awards some modest monetary prizes, which are a considerable motivation to me:  It’s a chance to be paid something for not wearing a paid signature.  I think that’s distinguishable from a faucet, where everybody can “win” (at least till the faucet runs dry).

Now, I ask to hit a faucet again—but with a counteroffer to the terms offered.  I do this to prove a point, to wit:

This is how a merit faucet should be run, and this is how a wager ought be done:  If my last 20 posts are judged by you to be overall the work of a meritorious member of this forum, then please give +14 to the OP in my “😈😈😈 PGP 256% AIRDROP BOUNTY SIGNATURE SPAM CAMPAIGN! Old-school CRYPTO 😈😈😈”, an +14 to the very first post by my new role account.  If not, then red-tag me to hell as a “spammer” with a serious case of the “Dunning-Kruger effect”.0  Both of me.

Double trouble.  Let me make a real bet!  Ante up.

0. The term is put in scare quotes, so as to not let Dunning and Kruger enjoy the cognitive bias of overestimating their own achievement.  The phenomenon of self-overestimation has been known to students of human experience ever since man first turned a philosophical eye on his fellow men.

Daboy_Lyle

Activity: 532
Merit: 148

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 10:05:53 AM

Hi,

I have 42 activity points and soon i will need 10 merit points to move to Member rank.
I participate in bounties and dont consider myself to be a spammer (and certainly not a scammer Grin)
I participate in translation bounties which of course take time to do properly but I cant really have any influence on whether people will give me merit points or not.

If you think I deserve some merit for them well thats just great 

If you dont think I should get any merit I will accept that as well. In that case maybe I can try and find some information that you didnt know.
Let me know what you think.
Kindly view my 20 last posts. I don't have any posts in bounties. View it, if it is deserve to be merited. Thank you.
zhdmil

Activity: 94
Merit: 5

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 05:27:00 PM

If you believe that you have quality posts for all 20 of your most recent posts then I will review them and if I agree I will give you 14 merit.
Sr. Members and below only.

However. if I heavily disagree I will add a neutral feedback to your account indicating that you are a spammer.
Game on. This is for those that complain about not being rewarded for quality content.

Disclaimer: I will only review the twenty posts that occur before your message.

*arbitrary amount is because of the sMerit I have left.

Please, don't send me merit. If you have merit to spare then give it to those that need it. Or save it, and in the likely case that there are more people here that deserve merit than I have available, you can send them the merit instead.
I ask you to review my post. apologize if there are some posting report because it is mandate of some gift program. but, hopefully there are some posts worth to be given merit
actmyname (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2018, 05:48:50 PM

actmyname, I will take your wager—but only on double-down terms:  Twice whatever you give others, if you think my last 20 posts are overall meritorious—or a red tag from you, if you don’t.
I will reject your wager for a few reasons.

First and foremost, my terms are strict in that if someone has even one low-quality post in the twenty that come before posting on this thread, they will not get the merit. Period.

Moreover, this makes your wager pointless because users should not be rated based on a singular (or a few posts) that do not have sufficient quality. Most people I know that are known for their posts will sometimes shitpost.

The negative feedback would thus have no weight, lest we create an equivalence to it with scummy activity. And in that regard, it's not really a good association to have.
It feels like the only way to get a wager that you might think is impactful is with betting something monetary or sentimental, like your name. Though in the former case, it would have to go to a charity or some third-party member because you will have bias otherwise.

Also just as a final note, you have a lot of merit anyway. I don't think that double the reward should be spent on you Wink

However, if you want to confine to the original terms that I have, then we can see.

Lovecove

Activity: 161
Merit: 38

(Thank you for all the merit =) ) ~Lovecove!

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 06:06:50 PM

actmyname, I will take your wager—but only on double-down terms:  Twice whatever you give others, if you think my last 20 posts are overall meritorious—or a red tag from you, if you don’t.
I will reject your wager for a few reasons.

First and foremost, my terms are strict in that if someone has even one low-quality post in the twenty that come before posting on this thread, they will not get the merit. Period.

Moreover, this makes your wager pointless because users should not be rated based on a singular (or a few posts) that do not have sufficient quality. Most people I know that are known for their posts will sometimes shitpost.

The negative feedback would thus have no weight, lest we create an equivalence to it with scummy activity. And in that regard, it's not really a good association to have.
It feels like the only way to get a wager that you might think is impactful is with betting something monetary or sentimental, like your name. Though in the former case, it would have to go to a charity or some third-party member because you will have bias otherwise.

Also just as a final note, you have a lot of merit anyway. I don't think that double the reward should be spent on you Wink

However, if you want to confine to the original terms that I have, then we can see.

I agree with you.

Nullius was on Meta trying to increase merit requirements for ranks. He said he was an exceptional poster who gets at least 1+ merit per day. He says he made it to Hero in 1 month.

But it seems that he's only been doing so by actively participating in these merit giveaways/contests.

I'm not one to judge or anything. But I feel like he's being a little deceptive in his Meta thread. It sounds like he's purporting that he's naturally gaining merit points from quality posts, which I'm sure he does... it's just that he's trying to also purport that people can get 1+ merit per day and make it to Hero in 1 month simply by posting naturally and gaining merits from organic threads.

But it seems as though a significant reason why he has so many merits is because he participates in these merit giveaways/contests. In fact, you can see just how much he relies on these merit giveaways/contests by his attempt to draw 28 merit from you rather than just 14. And I especially like the tactic he tried to employ to intimidate you into giving him the merit (which I, begrudgingly, wish I had included in my own entrance into your contest): He was going to shame you for not inspecting his posts correctly if you didn't give him the 28 merit. I believe you did the right thing by rejecting his proposal.

If merits are so easily attained organically, then why would he have to resort to such? Again, I think that's fine... but I believe he should've disclosed that in his Meta thread rather than leading readers to believe otherwise.

I'm now really questioning the ease at which one may attain merits from simply posting contributory posts. But, I believe I also see it as a great challenge.

Visit now if you're interested in buying these domains: EtherMining.org, CryptoMovement.org, Bitcoiner.Co
TheBeardedBaby
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 3134

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 06:25:25 PM

Hey man, you are most welcome to go through my posts. Thanks for your time.

Coins4Days

Activity: 294
Merit: 27

bit.ly/Coins4Hash

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2018, 08:33:27 PM

I am willing to put myself on the line and test my last twenty posts that stand before this one to see if they are all of merit-quality. Even if they are not, I would be grateful for some feedback so I can improve from here on out. Thank you for what you are doing, actmyname.

Hero of Legendary

Activity: 94
Merit: 4

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 12:51:07 AM

Hi act, you can review my post history. And I am very willing to here any comment from you to improve myself. Thanks.

[  TRY ALPHA MVP  ]    WELCOME TO DATABLOCKCHAIN    [  TRY ALPHA MVP  ]
Mainsale now LIVE!  //  Raised $16 Million in PRE-SALE
Blue Tyrant
Copper Member

Activity: 70
Merit: 65

IOS - The secure, scalable blockchain

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 04:22:20 AM

It's just that, I honestly was led to believe that the only quality that mattered was my post, and not the overall thread they're in. I don't think that's fair that if a post gets buried in a long thread, it loses quality.. but okay.

Thank you for taking the time to review my posts.

For starters please don't quote entire walls of text, edit out the part that is needed. It's irritating as hell when you need to scroll down walls and walls of text to see a 1-2 liner post referring to someone one point in the 20 odd paragraphs of text that you quoted. Secondly there's intense dislike in people for the megathreads because

• They are generally promoting spam, generating tons and tons of useless posts pretty much exclusively for the bounties.
  • The questions are largely answered to be realistic. We don't need to have 200 pages to know that "Bitcoin makes us rich and can help us make money"

So a lot of users who actually care don't bother reading or commenting in those threads.

[Jr to Sr. Member]

hmmmmm intensifies

Quote from:
But it seems that he's only been doing so by actively participating in these merit giveaways/contests.

As much as I may or may not agree with Nullius' proposal to raise the merit ranking, most of his merit in fact didn't come from giveaways (though some may have I guess. One of his most merited posts (which contributed to around 10-12% of his total current merit) was a post about his Vanity generator for example.

actmyname (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2018, 04:27:49 AM

[Jr to Sr. Member]

hmmmmm intensifies
rank Є [Jr, Sr] ^ rank ≤ Sr