Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 03:08:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Study: Everyone hates environmentalists and feminists  (Read 80410 times)
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 02:44:39 AM

In one, the participants—228 Americans recruited via Amazon’s Mechanical Turk—

So a self-selected sample of basement-dwelling neckbeards who have no jobs so are willing to work for pennies an hour on that ridiculous Turk thing.  I stopped reading right there.

The analysis is from multiple different studies from various sources... the article makes direct reference to at least five independent ones.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 03:08:16 AM

In one, the participants—228 Americans recruited via Amazon’s Mechanical Turk—

So a self-selected sample of basement-dwelling neckbeards who have no jobs so are willing to work for pennies an hour on that ridiculous Turk thing.  I stopped reading right there.

The analysis is from multiple different studies from various sources... the article makes direct reference to at least five independent ones.

Better you spend your time actually learning something about the environment, or, alternatively, go immerse yourself in whatever hobby you might have that you know something about.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 03:15:51 AM

The key is that radical environmentalists/feminists are annoying. I'm pro recycling/sustainable practices/anti littering, and pro equal rights/equal pay etc, but those people who tell me that I'm a bad person for not driving a hybrid, or that think that women deserve to be better than men due to past descrimination, are the stereotype that people have come to hate. Not to turn this into a religious debate, but for example theres nothing exciting about a Muslim family doing their religious things in their own homes and places of worship, however the things that radicals do are what people hear about, and thats what sticks as common perception.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2013, 03:21:43 AM

I hope people don't judge me that way because I drive a Prius (though I do get a bit of road rage aimed at me now and then). My buying it had nothing to do with environmentalism, and was entirely for financial reasons (saving a ton of money), and because I'm a tech junkie, and that thing is practically a smartphone on wheels.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 03:40:51 AM

I hope people don't judge me that way because I drive a Prius (though I do get a bit of road rage aimed at me now and then). My buying it had nothing to do with environmentalism, and was entirely for financial reasons (saving a ton of money), and because I'm a tech junkie, and that thing is practically a smartphone on wheels.

Sadly, I know a couple of folks who make such snap judgments about Prius owners, but I see the attitude diminishing. Around here the venom is mainly directed at those who organize and protest (not that that really ever happens around here, go figure.) With all the hunters and farmers in this area, and folks who are knowledgeable about specific aspects of the local environment, it's easy to think that environmentalist attitudes would be seen in a more tolerant light, but... well, the article pretty much pegs it right.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 03:52:38 AM

The key is that radical environmentalists/feminists are annoying. I'm pro recycling/sustainable practices/anti littering, and pro equal rights/equal pay etc, but those people who tell me that I'm a bad person for not driving a hybrid, or that think that women deserve to be better than men due to past descrimination, are the stereotype that people have come to hate. Not to turn this into a religious debate, but for example theres nothing exciting about a Muslim family doing their religious things in their own homes and places of worship, however the things that radicals do are what people hear about, and thats what sticks as common perception.

I agree; I'm perfectly happy to have environmentalists and feminists and muslims and anyone else around me, I just hate anyone who feels the need to run my life--I'm already perfectly capable of this and would prefer to remain in control of it.

FirstAscent

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 05:18:12 AM

Recycling and sustainable practices are actually small contributions to helping the environment. But by all means, don't stop. The real killers are industry, legal and illegal. Dams, fishing practices, logging, poaching, highway construction, suburban sprawl, economic growth, factory emissions, deforestation, ecosystem fracturing due to edge effects, agriculture, pesticides, mining and drilling and the necessary attendant infrastructure which brings about edge effects, industrial accidents, oil spills...
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 12:55:36 PM

Recycling and sustainable practices are actually small contributions to helping the environment. But by all means, don't stop. The real killers are industry, legal and illegal. Dams, fishing practices, logging, poaching, highway construction, suburban sprawl, economic growth, factory emissions, deforestation, ecosystem fracturing due to edge effects, agriculture, pesticides, mining and drilling and the necessary attendant infrastructure which brings about edge effects, industrial accidents, oil spills...
Now you've just proved you have no clue what you are talking about.

And recycling/sustainable practices may or may not contribute positively to "helping the environment".  That would depend on the cost effectiveness of the methods employed. 

Many recycling and "sustainable" practices are ridiculously counterproductive.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2013, 02:12:24 PM

The only possible solution to that list is to drastically reduce the population numbers. Oh well.
FirstAscent

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 04:50:11 PM

The only possible solution to that list is to drastically reduce the population numbers. Oh well.

That's the truth of it. Economic growth and population growth aren't good for the environment.
steelhouse

Activity: 717
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 05:07:51 PM

I don't hate environmentalists or feminists.  Smiley

I really think the oil lobby has used hidden propaganda to really put a lot of hatred and green envy out there.  Despite the fact for every Prius or electric car on the road makes oil prices cheaper as it reduces oil demand.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2013, 05:21:54 PM

That's the truth of it. Economic growth and population growth aren't good for the environment.

It's a good thing some of us have goals beyond just "the environment." Spaaaaaaaaaace!
FirstAscent

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 05:43:33 PM

It's a good thing some of us have goals beyond just "the environment." Spaaaaaaaaaace!

How much more sincere and indicative of thought your remark would have been had it read:

It's a good thing there are goals out there to utilize the resources of our solar system so that the only valuable, diverse and data rich resources of our own planet can be preserved.

The environment isn't just about the elements. It's a complex system of diversity which offers more when aloud to flourish.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2013, 06:20:17 PM

How much more sincere and indicative of thought your remark would have been had it read:

It's a good thing there are goals out there to utilize the resources of our solar system so that the only valuable, diverse and data rich resources of our own planet can be preserved.

The environment isn't just about the elements. It's a complex system of diversity which offers more when aloud to flourish.

How inadequate and limited in vision you are, when you can't even consider the possibility of us striving to be able to create entire artificial environments all on our own from scratch. Preserving species near extition simply by backing up their DNA for future cloning, growing food and renewable resources through genetic modification and new technological breakthroughs, terraforming entire planets, and creating biodomes and sustainable ecosystems, able to keep us and a few other select species alive indefinitely in space.

The  Cry that comes from some rare species going extinct doesn't feel quite as  Cry when we can just "print" more of them in DNA sequencers.
FirstAscent

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 06:22:36 PM

How inadequate and limited in vision you are, when you can't even consider the possibility of us striving to be able to create entire artificial environments all on our own from scratch. Preserving species near extition simply by backing up their DNA for future cloning, growing food and renewable resources through genetic modification and new technological breakthroughs, terraforming entire planets, and creating biodomes and sustainable ecosystems, able to keep us and a few other select species alive indefinitely in space.

The  Cry that comes from some rare species going extinct doesn't feel quite as  Cry when we can just "print" more of them in DNA sequencers.

Do you even know where knowledge comes from? It comes from the vast informational space which resides in the environment. As an example, a planet like Mars simply does not offer the same informational space to study.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2013, 06:31:12 PM

Do you even know where knowledge comes from? It comes from the vast informational space which resides in the environment. As an example, a planet like Mars simply does not offer the same informational space to study.

Huh. So what did we studdy in nature to come up with silicone processors, radios, networks, displays, light sensors, and all that other fancy techy stuff we use in our everyday life? Cause I was under the impression that it mostly had to do with chemistry and physics, not biology or whatever.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2013, 06:35:07 PM

And environmentalists have gone from being friendly towards the environment to being outright anti human.
Their logic goes that if people didn't exists the environment would benefit.
Which is true, but seriously, fuck em.

That's not true.  The environment would not benefit if people didn't exist.

The environment simple exists, no matter what.

When you reify and anthropomorphize 'The Environment' and consider what is to its (imaginary, metaphorical) harm/benefit, you concede the argument to the anti-human ManBearPig lunatics.

We don't say 'the number line would benefit if transcendentals like pi didn't exist' because there are no objective criteria to measure harm/benefit to things which are not alive, have no intentionality/goals/feelings, and only exist as conceptual metaphors inside humans brains/memes.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
FirstAscent

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 06:45:22 PM

Huh. So what did we studdy in nature to come up with silicone processors, radios, networks, displays, light sensors, and all that other fancy techy stuff we use in our everyday life? Cause I was under the impression that it mostly had to do with chemistry and physics, not biology or whatever.

I've already been over this. You rudely stated it was elementary. It's in that big post that apparently didn't fully comprehend, though claiming you did. You're blind.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 07:08:26 PM

+1
FirstAscent

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 07:12:52 PM

+1

Why the +1? Is it because you are also not armed with all the information out there?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  

Jump to: