Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:35:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: NanoFury Project - Open Source Design  (Read 75324 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Swimmer63
Legendary

Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 09:13:15 PM

So where are these for sale at reasonable prices now?
I have a few for sale but they run under the standard speed.  I have sold all my others and these are the leftovers from my batch of 110.
At the default 50 bits they range between 1.5 Gh/s to 1.75 Gh/s.
Overclocked at 54 bits they all run over 2.0 Gh/s and the faster ones run about 2.5 Gh/s.
I have about 8 of them and they run between $55-$70 depending on the speed.  Delivery is additional.

PM me if interested.

$55-$70 is a bit steep, especially if they are under standard speed.  I was hoping $25 to $30, expected $40 or so. 

Is there nowhere I can get $10/gigahash?  That's the only price that makes any modicum of sense right now.

No.  The lowest available price I have seen is $95.  But most are well over $100.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bigbeninlondon

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 10:11:10 PM

I have a few for sale but they run under the standard speed.  I have sold all my others and these are the leftovers from my batch of 110.
Overclocked at 54 bits they all run over 2.0 Gh/s and the faster ones run about 2.5 Gh/s.
I have about 8 of them and they run between $55-$70 depending on the speed.  Delivery is additional.

PM me if interested.

$55-$70 is a bit steep, especially if they are under standard speed.  I was hoping $25 to $30, expected $40 or so. 

Is there nowhere I can get $10/gigahash?  That's the only price that makes any modicum of sense right now.

No.  The lowest available price I have seen is $95.  But most are well over $100.

That's craziness.  No way to ROI @ over $30 right now.  I don't see it being even remotely possible.
vs3 (OP)

Activity: 622

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2014, 12:09:19 AM

PM me if interested.

That's craziness.  No way to ROI @ over $30 right now.  I don't see it being even remotely possible.

well, you have to also keep in mind that those were made with a bitfury chip which alone cost $25. And even though everyone's bottom cost will be different - in my group buy my estimates for a 500-1000-devices series were for about another $25-30 in all other pieces including PCB, components, assembly, stencils, shipping, taxes, etc.

bigbeninlondon

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 02:35:33 AM

PM me if interested.

well, you have to also keep in mind that those were made with a bitfury chip which alone cost $25. And even though everyone's bottom cost will be different - in my group buy my estimates for a 500-1000-devices series were for about another $25-30 in all other pieces including PCB, components, assembly, stencils, shipping, taxes, etc.

I get it; assembly of these had a certain cost.  But at this point in time, it doesn't make sense for me to buy them even at cost. 
Swimmer63
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 04:23:37 AM

I have a few for sale but they run under the standard speed.  I have sold all my others and these are the leftovers from my batch of 110.
I have about 8 of them and they run between $55-$70 depending on the speed.  Delivery is additional.

PM me if interested.

$55-$70 is a bit steep, especially if they are under standard speed.  I was hoping $25 to $30, expected $40 or so.  

Is there nowhere I can get $10/gigahash?  That's the only price that makes any modicum of sense right now.

No.  The lowest available price I have seen is $95.  But most are well over $100.

That's craziness.  No way to ROI @ over $30 right now.  I don't see it being even remotely possible.

I get it; assembly of these had a certain cost.  But at this point in time, it doesn't make sense for me to buy them even at cost.  

I agree, but you need to realize these are not made to make money. They are entry level miners that introduce people to mining at the lowest cost available.  Their usefulness is more for education or the hobbyist who just wants be a part of the network.
If you want to make money mining you need to spend a lot more money than $100. Like $10,000 at least to make the effort worth it.
But if you want to dabble a little, learn about the space, have some fun and mine some millibits in the process, for less than $500 in equipment?.....this is for you.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 05:16:36 AM

Nice work.

How much would you like us to kick back to you if we fab out your NF's... or should I PM you?

Well, you probably won't be the first or only one asking that question, so I guess it is appropriate to be here.

The answer is - As much as you want or feel appropriate Smiley

Ideally a few bucks on the first several hundred boards would be fine, and in the bitcoin reality that may shrink even further with time.

After all I didn't want to bog any manufacturer with fees - that's why I left it open source. If the designs worked for you - then feel free to cut a bit or as much as you like for us Smiley

And of course - feel free to PM me and we can chat a bit more.

Here is hoping those who have produced and sold these do chip back into your development costs. Really a shame if people do not support great designs and engineers like this that make projects that really work. Maybe if the BitFury chips come down to $5 a pop then more can be fabbed and people can help cover more of the development costs. Support your local Slide rule give genrously!

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
bigbeninlondon

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 12:33:17 PM

I have a few for sale but they run under the standard speed.  I have sold all my others and these are the leftovers from my batch of 110.
I have about 8 of them and they run between $55-$70 depending on the speed.  Delivery is additional.

PM me if interested.

$55-$70 is a bit steep, especially if they are under standard speed.  I was hoping $25 to $30, expected $40 or so.  

Is there nowhere I can get $10/gigahash?  That's the only price that makes any modicum of sense right now.

No.  The lowest available price I have seen is $95.  But most are well over $100.

That's craziness.  No way to ROI @ over $30 right now.  I don't see it being even remotely possible.

I get it; assembly of these had a certain cost.  But at this point in time, it doesn't make sense for me to buy them even at cost.  

I agree, but you need to realize these are not made to make money. They are entry level miners that introduce people to mining at the lowest cost available.  Their usefulness is more for education or the hobbyist who just wants be a part of the network.
If you want to make money mining you need to spend a lot more money than $100. Like $10,000 at least to make the effort worth it.
But if you want to dabble a little, learn about the space, have some fun and mine some millibits in the process, for less than $500 in equipment?.....this is for you.

Sure, makes sense.
vs3 (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 01:30:55 AM

A little teaser with some cool stuff in the making Smiley

(from observations and depending on your bravery - each doing 4-5GH easily) )

Swimmer63
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 05:17:35 AM

+10 Grin
Taugeran

Activity: 658

CCNA: There i fixed the internet.

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 09:32:28 PM

TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bitfury HW & Habañero : 1.625Th/s
tips/Donations: 1NoS89H3Mr6U5CmP4VwWzU2318JEMxHL1
Come join Coinbase
Taugeran

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 09:38:55 PM

is there a git to look at?

Come join Coinbase
vs3 (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 08:18:06 AM

is there a git to look at?

Not yet (as it still needs some cleanup) but it will get there.

rgr_rgr

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 03:05:57 PM

Did you think about an optional second 5V access? Because USB is limited it could be a possibility to attach an additional psu.
vs3 (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 07:11:52 PM

Did you think about an optional second 5V access? Because USB is limited it could be a possibility to attach an additional psu.

I did think about it, but at this time it will most likely not be necessary - most people would either use a powered USB hub (and those now easily deliver 1A and more per port) or use USB3 ports.

In one of my tests I used a powered USB2 hub where the power brick provides 3A (plus 0.5A from the PC) and that was sufficient to attach and run 3 devices, and actually push them all the way to their limits. So by just not using all ports you leave the extra power for the ports that are in use thus achieving the same effect as if you use 2 ports simultaneously.

Plus, the extra USB connector would get in the way the simplicity idea Smiley

rostbiffen

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 11:51:20 PM

?
what u mean with that?

this is a trusted guy, making good boards.

Swimmer63
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:05:28 AM

Trusted guy DESIGNING good boards.  We make them.
Taugeran

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 10:33:30 AM

?
what u mean with that?

this is a trusted guy, making good boards.

I know. Vs3 is an excellent person. I purchased some from his first run of the nf1.

The comment was not made as an insult but rather encouragement and excitement.

Come join Coinbase
MonkeyThink

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 10:45:11 AM

I did think about it, but at this time it will most likely not be necessary - most people would either use a powered USB hub (and those now easily deliver 1A and more per port) or use USB3 ports.

In one of my tests I used a powered USB2 hub where the power brick provides 3A (plus 0.5A from the PC) and that was sufficient to attach and run 3 devices, and actually push them all the way to their limits. So by just not using all ports you leave the extra power for the ports that are in use thus achieving the same effect as if you use 2 ports simultaneously.

I'm definitely going to get set up for a DIY build and my challenge to myself is to see how low I can keep the costs.  Now that I've seen that the NF2 is in the pipeline I'll wait for that to be available.

vs3 - I'm assuming it's a 2 layer board and that the back is just ground?  Thinking about the viability of etching my own boards Smiley

Can anyone point me in the right direction to source a small number of bitfury chips (probably about 5 - 10 of them) ?

If I'm successful anyone in the UK interested in a DIY build kit of parts?

Thanks
MonkeyThink
Mudbankkeith

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 10:51:07 AM

There are companies in the uk that will make boards, small quantities are expensive, but the price drops rapidly for bigger orders.
also lots of guides on utube for etching boards.

I'm definitely going to get set up for a DIY build and my challenge to myself is to see how low I can keep the costs.  Now that I've seen that the NF2 is in the pipeline I'll wait for that to be available.

vs3 - I'm assuming it's a 2 layer board and that the back is just ground?  Thinking about the viability of etching my own boards Smiley

Can anyone point me in the right direction to source a small number of bitfury chips (probably about 5 - 10 of them) ?

Thanks
MonkeyThink

BTc donations welcome:-  13c2KuzWCaWFTXF171Zn1HrKhMYARPKv97
MonkeyThink

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 10:58:01 AM

Indeed there are.  I fancy the challenge of etching my own for a small number of prototypes. 

If there's enough interest then I'd get a bigger batch made up.  I see there is one UK based company who actually has the work done in China or Singapore.  From memory they worked out to about £3 per NF board if you were ordering a few hundred I think.

For me the only doubt I would have would be supplying the right files for a commercial production run out of the KiCad design.

Regards
MonkeyThink

There are companies in the uk that will make boards, small quantities are expensive, but the price drops rapidly for bigger orders.
also lots of guides on utube for etching boards.

I'm definitely going to get set up for a DIY build and my challenge to myself is to see how low I can keep the costs.  Now that I've seen that the NF2 is in the pipeline I'll wait for that to be available.

vs3 - I'm assuming it's a 2 layer board and that the back is just ground?  Thinking about the viability of etching my own boards Smiley

Thanks
MonkeyThink
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: