Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:31:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Open Source Avalon Gen2 55nm Board  (Read 35872 times)
BigJRepairs

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 05:41:09 AM

They're all 16 chip boards. I misunderstood your logic as entering the frequency yielded a specific hashrate. Yes, the frequency seems to correspond with the number of chips on board. When I switch the boards out they yield the same hashrates so something is going on with the power supply or operating system I'm not sure which yet. My step up transformer that runs my 220V BGA station went down so I had the chips placed professionally at Mastek Innerstep, which by the way if anyone wants professional chip placement I already paid for the stencil I think they want $25 a board for 16 chips but the stencil would work for less chips obviously. PM me for contact info.

I don't have a lot of USB cables so I wan't sure if one was messed up or not. I'm just shooting darts for the difference between my two sets of boards. I figured mabey high data transfer coupled with lead resistance. It doesn't matter, like you said I used a 6 foot PS3 controller cable and nothing changed.

If someone blows up a regulator please post details Smiley In the mean time I'll keep stepping up a 16 chip board to blow one up on purpose and report back. My better thought is to lift the inductor used for the overcurrent protection and take AC and DC measurements there.

With hand or with a sensor, no matter how good is it, there is a fundamental problem of access to junction temperature. You can't measure temperature directly on the chip die, and that's the only one that matters. Temperature on the heatsink may be substantially lower than that on the junction if thermal coupling is poor between the chip and the heatsink. In this case the heatsink will stay cool but the chip will remain hot. Just imagine a heatsink that is not in physical contact with your chip. The same thing happens when it is in physical contact but for some reason thermal coupling isn't very good. Temperature difference also increases when the amount of dissipated power increases, so your estimation of junction temperature will be increasingly less accurate as the amount of power dissipated by chips gets higher. You could of course do all the math if you have thermal models of your system and you correctly estimate their parameters but well that's a very demanding job to do it right.

I've taken these measurements for several companies, you can't do anything about the inside of the chips to the best of my knowledge but most models suggest platinum with 4 wire yields at least +/- .1 C I think. You take a thin strand of platinum that's zero to at least an ice point reference and a span of 100. Then you thermal paste the platinum in between the heatsink and the chip, any exposed platinum must be insulated. Or you can buy a thin film prt also platinum that's already charted and hook it up to an Agilent meter and something like Benchlink.

You build a model of the metal instead of the system so you can reuse it. Really you can just weld (not solder) the tips of any RTD together as long as you have an idea of the composition, and do the same thing as long as you can generate ice point and 100C. It's probably only worth it if you're going to build a lot of boards. I have one set up to control the heat for an infrared reball station in my shed as well, it's pretty accurate. I favor my hand because it's easier. I was just curious how many days you've had them running at 35. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ostenbacken

Activity: 16

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 10:30:36 AM

Yes, the frequency seems to correspond with the number of chips on board.
Ok, so is it correct that you're getting the correct per-chip hashrate with my firmware?
You build a model of the metal instead of the system
I guess you misunderstood me. You're talking about building a precision thermal sensor whereas what I had in mind is to estimate junction temperature based on indirect off-junction temperature measurements. For instance, you can measure temperature drop at two points in a heat conductor. If thermal conductivity is known, this will give you an estimate on the amount of heat that passes through it. You can then extrapolate the temperature drop into the junction, if thermal conductivity between junction and your measurement points is known. Perhaps with additional measurements and calibration, you can do it pretty accurately, if you dare to perform everything that is needed. A MS degree in physics is recommended Smiley

But I don't think that it's really necessary. In my case, the chips work well (1.725GH/s per chip) and this can justify that they don't overheat. I do get the heatsink temperature reading that can be used to judge if the fan has failed or smth, so that the software could stop chip operation to prevent damage.
I was just curious how many days you've had them running at 35. 
That's a sustained temperature reading. They work non-stop for several days in this mode.
BigJRepairs

Activity: 58

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 04:59:24 PM

Yes, frequency of 1000 gets 16GH/s on a 16 chip board. I'm suggesting that measuring the junction between the heatsink and the chip is easier and reusable for reference measurement. I wasn't sure if you were talking about using the MCP9700A to take that measurement for reference or building it into your design.
Ostenbacken

Activity: 16

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 06:13:55 PM

Yes, frequency of 1000 gets 16GH/s on a 16 chip board.
That's perfect. It seems that you did it right. Now what's left is to optimize your heatsinks, and you could go up to 1.6 - 1.7GH/s per chip.
I wasn't sure if you were talking about using the MCP9700A to take that measurement for reference or building it into your design.
These chips are inexpensive so I was thinking about building them into my design to replace the thermistor. Though the sensors are accurate, given the above considerations, their measurement would be only good for the purposes of thermal shutdown and some rough monitoring of the module condition. Perhaps the performance of forced air cooling system could be also evaluated based on this sensor data. I'm going to integrate several boards into a rackmount case, and there I'd need to take care of aerodynamics, fan locations, etc.
Lucko

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 08:17:32 PM
Last edit: February 14, 2014, 07:19:47 PM by Lucko

Do anyone has windows miner solution? I can't figure it out how to run this on windows...
DrZeck

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 12:46:24 AM

Do anyone has windows miner solution? I can't figure it out how to run this on windows...

I did trying, but with no luck, i cant install winusb driver with zadig, i can install libusb driver and cgminer see "something"  Cheesy  but thats all. i will try it again i just dont have time now ...

On the other hand my boards are here working great with Ostenbacken's firmware, i can pull out even 1.8g from chips but i did try that with 3 chips in both banks, i really did not mesaure power draw and coller needs to be well BIG so, i leave the boards with 10 chips on ~ 14gh and that is working great.

some pics:

And Hubs:  Grin

And that is running on guild ...

Another question, can someone make i2c connection to work ? i am newbie for software so that is HUGE task for me, You can send offers here or PM

Cheers,
sylvius

Activity: 2

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 06:52:25 AM

excuse my English.

Firstly I thank Form for maintenance are sharing open source.
I downloaded the document map on git.
My question is, what software do you use to see patterns, I did not find this information in the readme.
my system is Linux.
IoIooIIoIo

Activity: 17

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 10:35:23 AM

Im keen on giving this build a go but would like someone to contact me with supporting help Smiley
K16 were fun to build but this looks alittle more techy Wink
afchafch

Activity: 15

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 10:45:02 AM
Last edit: May 06, 2014, 11:57:34 AM by afchafch

Who want to buy last 8 PCBs?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251514968840?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251506931170?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
Price was reduced.
Somekindabitcoin

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 07:32:21 AM

I will buy a bulk amount of those PCB's. Tell me price per thousand and where you're shipping from. I'm in hawaii. Direct me to an assembly service as well. I want to place them in my immersion tank. Thanks.
afchafch

Activity: 15

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 09:50:51 AM

Somekindabitcoin, I answer you in PM.
cubissimo

Activity: 3

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 09:40:06 PM

afchafch, I will buy a bulk amount of those PCB's too. please tell me the shipment and the cost by 1000. I'll need an assembly service too. I

Thanks!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]  All
  Print  

Jump to: