Poll
Question: What is your sex?
Male - 417 (87.2%)
Female - 37 (7.7%)
Other - 24 (5%)
Total Voters: 477

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do we get the women on board?  (Read 38352 times)
im3w1l (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 11:02:50 PM

As a self-diagnosed sufferer of Asperger's syndrome who posts on forums about cryptocurrencies and has misogynistic tendencies due to my inability to view women as anything other than a two dimensional caricature based on modern media, I consider myself to be a professional on women.

Like the others in the thread, I believe all women are superficial and care only about shiny objects, clothing, other material goods, and things with matching colors.

I also agree that are too dumb and not selfish enough to grasp perfect idealogies like libertarianism, so here are my suggestions about how to get more women involved in Bitcoins:

Rename wallet.dat to purse.dat, maybe CoCoPurse.dat, women love purses!

Replace long Bitcoin addresses with short dictionary words, like "dog", or "house", or "sexinthecity". Women might be able to work with short words

you are a fucking genius! of course the addresses should be even shorter. bringing us to... namecoins!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 11:02:53 PM
Last edit: July 28, 2011, 02:29:48 AM by Jack of Diamonds

Quote from: JeffK
I believe all women are superficial and care only about shiny objects, clothing, other material goods, and things with matching colors.

Nothing which is fringe has support among women. Women tend to concentrate in averages in everything. Female bitcoin users are of above average intelligence, capable of understanding concepts like cryptography and hence rare.

Bitcoin will gain the support of women when it's not 'unknown', 'new' or 'scary'.
That is, when you can use it to buy coffee at starbucks or pay your groceries.

Or when your grandmother can use a swipe-card to buy medicine by bitcoin in a physical pharmacy.

I don't particularly care whether it's evolutionary biology, hormone levels or brain differences, but that's reality.
I'm only interested in profiting from reality rather than judging or profiling people with no gain. Since most women behave this way it must be natural behavior.

So while it might be entertaining to make fun of their pettiness, conformity or general lack of 'guts', there is nothing to be gained from hating them. If those traits have survived for millions of years in the DNA chain then there must be *some* benefit to them.

Women with internet access have money just as men do. Which means tapping into an uncharted market (female e-currency users) can potentially yield huge profits if done and marketed right.
Emphasizing the safety aspects of bitcoins. The fact you could use a mobile phone to send money to your kids, friends, relatives, etc.
Being able to pay for everyday, but also finer products and services women use. Definitely start with something like women's handbags or brand shoes. Jewelry. Cosmetics. Yes that's shallow but that's what women like in general, the end.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
Tasty Champa

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 11:07:42 PM

can any of you imagine what they use for passwords.
here is a hint:

"imadirtylittleslut"

and then they smirk everytime they type it. XD

We will have to insist they use more intricately thought provoking passwords.
That password is NSFW.
FlyingFlapjack

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 12:46:40 AM

Several people have suggested clothing, shoes, handbags etc...

A perfect match exists. It's called etsy.com

They are a site for handmade and vintage stuff. Most of the merchants are some girl or guy working out of their residence.

I have no idea whether or not or how one could convince etsy.com to accept bitcoins, but if it meant increasing sales, I think most any of those merchants would go for it.

I think it works like ebay in that they pay some money to etsy per sale, so given etsy's terms, I'm not sure if they'd ever be able to do it through etsy itself or if they'd want to sneak around etsy and make a deal through some other channel.

It's not just clothes and purses and shoes. They have a nice selection of hand made glass uh tobacco pipes. And other cool stuff.

there really isn't a face-palm pic on the internet good enough for this thread.

This thread so embarass... Embarrassed
Maria

Activity: 832

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 01:10:11 AM

I am the Bitcoin Queen! Bitches...

Maria.

MsBitcoin

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 01:32:00 AM

I am the Bitcoin Queen! Bitches...

Maria.

not so fast.....

You want to get women on board give them some Bitcoins to spend.  If your wife or gf can't find something to buy they will work on converting retailers to accept Bitcoin.  This will both expand the Bitcoin merchant base and stimulate the Bitcoin economy.

payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 01:37:22 AM

btc4shoes.com

haha this made me picture some guy selling his last pair of boots just to get his hands on some btc.
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 01:42:08 AM

As I write this, there are currently more "other" than female in the poll.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
Tasty Champa

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 02:13:19 AM

Several people have suggested clothing, shoes, handbags etc...

A perfect match exists. It's called etsy.com

They are a site for handmade and vintage stuff. Most of the merchants are some girl or guy working out of their residence.

I have no idea whether or not or how one could convince etsy.com to accept bitcoins, but if it meant increasing sales, I think most any of those merchants would go for it.

I think it works like ebay in that they pay some money to etsy per sale, so given etsy's terms, I'm not sure if they'd ever be able to do it through etsy itself or if they'd want to sneak around etsy and make a deal through some other channel.

It's not just clothes and purses and shoes. They have a nice selection of hand made glass uh tobacco pipes. And other cool stuff.

there really isn't a face-palm pic on the internet good enough for this thread.

This thread so embarass... Embarrassed

Etsy could be perfect for more smart women here, it's exactly what bitcoin needs, but it would only really work well for bitcoin if Etsy was bitcoin only.
However if someone could convince Etsy to become an exchange or even just allow sellers to accept bitcoin, that could be a big plus.
geek-trader

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 02:13:40 AM

As a self-diagnosed sufferer of Asperger's syndrome who posts on forums about cryptocurrencies and has misogynistic tendencies due to my inability to view women as anything other than a two dimensional caricature based on modern media, I consider myself to be a professional on women.

Like the others in the thread, I believe all women are superficial and care only about shiny objects, clothing, other material goods, and things with matching colors.

I also agree that are too dumb and not selfish enough to grasp perfect idealogies like libertarianism, so here are my suggestions about how to get more women involved in Bitcoins:

Rename wallet.dat to purse.dat, maybe CoCoPurse.dat, women love purses!

Replace long Bitcoin addresses with short dictionary words, like "dog", or "house", or "sexinthecity". Women might be able to work with short words

I know what you are saying, but when I asked my wife that question "how to get more women to use bitcoin", the first thing out of her mouth was, "Sell stuff women want, shoes and purses!".  So there you have it.  Straight from the mouth of a (non-geek) woman.

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
elements

Activity: 182

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 02:21:11 AM

Just like I mentioned earlier:

make http://www.zalando.com accept Bitcoin exclusively

and the Bitcoin economy will get a boost 10 times the way it had in its best times so far.

(chicks all over Europe get crazy about that online shop - it's like Amazon for women!!!)

»A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.« - Douglas Adams
Use the trusted German Bitcoin exchange: https://www.bitcoin.de/de/r/5wcwts
Tips & donations: BTC : 1MAQYNLp2VJ9wWhPYg5BnrbUGzdhGXopZw | CGB: 5bgQivyHJcSWTgvLfVW87Zj23M7mcFCVBF
Crystal Excursion

Activity: 98

I'm Crazy about Bitcoin, trading Quartz for BTC

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2011, 02:24:33 AM

I have shiny objects for bitcoin, Women usually like them... Smiley

Hey.. Skype Me.. Beffjaker
see my website, PM if Interested, Thanks !
Tasty Champa

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 02:30:02 AM

OHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wait a second. this could be BAD. I just realized something.
Women return things constantly.

Say Woman buys shoes for 10BTC, Woman returns shoes, Woman wants 10BTC back.
Meanwhile BTC went up, after hearing about Woman using BTC.

Woman, fights till death over it.
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 02:39:04 AM

Women in general(the girly girl type, hehe) will only see bitcoins as something thats practical once they can buy their favourite makeup,shoes,toiletries etc. with bitcoins and preferably at a little less than with cash.

ps. whats with selection sex as other , do we have real trolls in here? Tongue

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 02:47:44 AM

Men trying to figure out what women want.  This is going to end well.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 03:16:33 AM

Men trying to figure out what women want.  This is going to end well.

Its not that hard(they want everything), and its the holy grail of what men want to know so absolutely worthwhile practicing Smiley

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
BitcoinBabe

Side-stepping the matrix | Bit by bit

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2011, 03:20:28 AM

They want shinies, they want fast transfers, they might won over by ideology, but probably not the ideology of libertarianism. They want to use the system that their favorite site uses, and they want to use the system their friends use. This by the way probably describes how mainstream males think too.

Way to stereotype, much! lol.

I'm a female who was actually drawn to bitcoin for the ideology of libertarianism. But yes, I also would like to see it used in my favorite sites, would like my friends to use it (though this wouldn't impede my own use of it if they didn't) and, yes, what I quoted from your initial post above pretty sums up over 90% of men as well.

To this end, while women will certainly play a role in getting bitcoin to go maistream, I think bitcoin needs more of an air of familiarity. Websites that have attractive, rather than just functional designs, would be a good start. More merchants selling more than just gadgets (though I do know a few female gadget fiends) - Bitcoin World Market will probably get a decent female following once bitcoin takes off as it sells beauty therapies, scented candles, gourmet and organic food items, chocolate... OK, now I'M stereotyping, cos I can easily live without chocolate. lol.

Incidently, BWM it will also probably get a really decent gay following. THAT's a fringe market that might be worth soliciting before the mainstream gets in on the act - particularly 30 something+, professional (whether in the arts, corporate or other business sectors), with no dependents.

Quite frankly, I think an air of exclusivity coupled with sophistication is what bitcoin needs. Bitcoin-only offers to special events, one-offs or limited editions that can only be purchased with btc... Basically, something that will make people have to buy bitcoins in order to take part in this special offer/event/promotion/exclusive service would be a good idea, something that makes them feel like trendsetters rather than geeks. This would be my idea, I guess, of the "shine" you mention women want.

BitcoinBabe

Side-stepping the matrix | Bit by bit

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2011, 03:21:54 AM

oh i forgot.  throw in a bunch of SHOE BUSINESSES!!!
+1

Not just any old shoes though... Expensive, luxury brand name shoes.

geek-trader

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 03:22:33 AM

They want shinies, they want fast transfers, they might won over by ideology, but probably not the ideology of libertarianism. They want to use the system that their favorite site uses, and they want to use the system their friends use. This by the way probably describes how mainstream males think too.

Way to stereotype, much! lol.

I'm a female who was actually drawn to bitcoin for the ideology of libertarianism. But yes, I also would like to see it used in my favorite sites, would like my friends to use it (though this wouldn't impede my own use of it if they didn't) and, yes, what I quoted from your initial post above pretty sums up over 90% of men as well.

To this end, while women will certainly play a role in getting bitcoin to go maistream, I think bitcoin needs more of an air of familiarity. Websites that have attractive, rather than just functional designs, would be a good start. More merchants selling more than just gadgets (though I do know a few female gadget fiends) - Bitcoin World Market will probably get a decent female following once bitcoin takes off as it sells beauty therapies, scented candles, gourmet and organic food items, chocolate... OK, now I'M stereotyping, cos I can easily live without chocolate. lol.

Incidently, BWM it will also probably get a really decent gay following. THAT's a fringe market that might be worth soliciting before the mainstream gets in on the act - particularly 30 something+, professional (whether in the arts, corporate or other business sectors), with no dependents.

Quite frankly, I think an air of exclusivity coupled with sophistication is what bitcoin needs. Bitcoin-only offers to special events, one-offs or limited editions that can only be purchased with btc... Basically, something that will make people have to buy bitcoins in order to take part in this special offer/event/promotion/exclusive service would be a good idea, something that makes them feel like trendsetters rather than geeks. This would be my idea, I guess, of the "shine" you mention women want.

Quoted for truth!

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
elements

Activity: 182

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 03:25:21 AM
Last edit: July 28, 2011, 04:07:30 AM by elements

Please read this post!

Its about www.bit-pay.com which is the easiest way to accept bitcoins as a merchant ever!

This could very well be the solution for businesses already specialized in female desires Wink

=> http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=32467.msg405450#msg405450

»A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.« - Douglas Adams
Use the trusted German Bitcoin exchange: https://www.bitcoin.de/de/r/5wcwts
Tips & donations: BTC : 1MAQYNLp2VJ9wWhPYg5BnrbUGzdhGXopZw | CGB: 5bgQivyHJcSWTgvLfVW87Zj23M7mcFCVBF
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: