Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:16:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 [1381] 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761529 times)
bitcoinpaul

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:32:54 PM

1. Is Nxt running stable on RaspPi?
AFAIK, yes.

2. Can RaspPi process 1000TSP?
I think, no. I has not so much memory, that can be problem on so high speed even if CPU is enough. Probably that can be fixed with careful core rewriting, profiling and optimizing, but I doubt on that...

1. The name RaspberryPi is good for marketing (or is Odroid also this famous?)
Yes, RPi is best known name for microcomputers in present time.

2. RaspberryPis use less power, I assume
No. It uses much older CPU arch, than Odroid or Cubieboard. Newer CPU usualy better in term of power consumption. ARM Cortex-A7/A9/A15 must be way better than ARM11.

Just compare:
- RPi has ARM11 (quiet old) single-core 700MHz CPU and 512Mb of RAM in best case
- CubieBoard3 has Cortex-A7 double-core 1GHz CPU and 2Gb of RAM
- Odroid-U3 has Cortex-A9 quad-core 1.7GHz CPU with 2Gb of RAM and still doesn't cost too much

That's my humble opinion. Probably wrong, but it's better to make tests before marketing RPi.

Me personally prefer to see some nice video about how to build solar-powered CubieBoard3-based Nxt node in five minute without soldering iron, kernel hacking and black magic. Or may be with black magic, but in three minute Smiley
That video can be good marketing in microcomp's community, or for inquisitive youth minds, you know.

+10

Has someone all three, or at least the Odroid and RaspPi, for some comparisons? Doesn't the RaspPi folks produce a successor to the current one with less energy consumption and more power?
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:35:49 PM

Frankly, we should be using the 10 mil for as many required expenses as possible. Isn't there some uncertainty of what will happen to those unclaimed funds if a consensus hasn't been met by the community by april, (says CfB?) So why dont we just come to agreement one bit at a time and see whats left when april or whenever comes.

On the 3rd of April I'll send the unclaimed coins to the genesis block. U should come to a consensus by that time, if u need this money.

Let me say "NO" very loudly.  NO!
Burning a very big pile of money is not a good idea. I will cry.....

I would like to see the unclaimed coins used for something useful, so my first 3 ideas are:

(selfish idea)
Distribute the coins into the NXT community. There are lots of guys, like me ,who have given NXT a lot of support over the last couple of months but are not exactly NXT-rich.  10 mill could make a lot of NXTers very happy. Especially me.....

(non-selfish idea)
Give it to charity. Just think of the publicity....crypto-anarchists give away a million dollars!

(good for the future idea)
My personal favourite: Get the remainder of the unclaimed coins forging, and use that forging income to help fund a carbon-offset program to make NXT very, very green. Again, much publicity, much love!

I'm going to do some more thinking about the carbon-offset idea today, so don't debate it yet.
I've posted some very rough numbers last night, and I should be able to have a fairly complete proposal in a couple of days.
Could someone give me estimates of the forging income from 10 megaNXT, both now and in a years time?

EDIT: And, yeah, I'm in favor of releasing 0.25 megaNXT for the Feb marketing.

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
bitcoinpaul

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:37:54 PM

Frankly, we should be using the 10 mil for as many required expenses as possible. Isn't there some uncertainty of what will happen to those unclaimed funds if a consensus hasn't been met by the community by april, (says CfB?) So why dont we just come to agreement one bit at a time and see whats left when april or whenever comes.

On the 3rd of April I'll send the unclaimed coins to the genesis block. U should come to a consensus by that time, if u need this money.

Let me say "NO" very loudly.  NO!
Burning a very big pile of money is not a good idea. I will cry.....

I would like to see the unclaimed coins used for something useful, so my first 3 ideas are:

(selfish idea)
Distribute the coins into the NXT community. There are lots of guys, like me ,who have given NXT a lot of support over the last couple of months but are not exactly NXT-rich.  !0 mill could make a lot of NXTers very happy. Especially me.....

(non-selfish idea)
Give it to charity. Just think of the publicity....crypto-anarchists give away a million dollars!

(good for the future idea)
My personal favourite: Get the remainder of the unclaimed coins forging, and use that forging income to help fund a carbon-offset program to make NXT very, very green. Again, much publicity, much love!

I'm going to do some more thinking about the carbon-offset idea today, so don't debate it yet.
I've posted some very rough numbers last night, and I should be able to have a fairly complete proposal in a couple of days.
Could someone give me estimates of the forging income from 10 megaNXT, both now and in a years time?

These are all ideas which could be discussed in the community. Where is the voting thread? Maybe there are not enough options to discuss. Let us first discuss, which can be done. Not in detail, just some roughly points.

edit: There it is https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=423241.20
edit: And https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=418695.0
EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:42:07 PM

Lets do it all:

Marketing, community and charity giveaways, carbon-offset.

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
landomata
Legendary

Activity: 2184

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 12:43:13 PM

These are all ideas which could be discussed in the community. Where is the voting thread? I think there are not enough options to discuss. Let us first discuss, which can be done. Not in detail, just some roughly points.

The community has spoken thru their votes....also 3 million was earmarked for Marketing Fund....so I think around 8.5 million nxt is left.

Bitventurer

Activity: 488
Merit: 250

S P 8 D E

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 12:43:38 PM

Can you believe more bounty money for developers?

Well its true, there is a 7.5 BTC + 1700 XCP bounty (that continues to grow) for an Desktop GUI client.

Details are: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=430998.0

I think this could provide nice additional funding for client developers. XCP is the only other crypto community that I have found is open to cooperating and I like that.

James

P.S. XCP is very slow thread, only 88 pages so you can catch up to it in less than a day https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=395761.0

can I still burn a XBT for XCP ?

SP8DE - The Game of Chance. Changed.
utopianfuture

Activity: 602
Merit: 268

Internet of Value

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:45:36 PM

These are all ideas which could be discussed in the community. Where is the voting thread? I think there are not enough options to discuss. Let us first discuss, which can be done. Not in detail, just some roughly points.

The community has spoken....also 3 million was earmarked for Marketing Fund....so I think around 8.5 million nxt is left.

[/quote]

Let's kick of the nominations for funding committee process. Then we could vote for funding committee members. The sooner we can get that done, the faster we can have the money running to where it is needed.

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
█████████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
  TomoChain  •    •  TomoChain 
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
nexern

Activity: 597
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:48:20 PM
Last edit: February 02, 2014, 01:08:15 PM by nexern

CfB can offer a minimum bound on bandwidth required for 1000 TPS (1 MBS) but can't say how many NXT service nodes that can handle the full blockchain are required.

I forgot about a very important detail. 1000 tps @ 1 Mbps assumes that we use binary protocol. Now all data in protocol is encoded in JSON, this adds 3x-5x overhead.

We have to migrate to binary protocol before switching TF on.

I guess after the migration that the API as we know it now would cease to exist?  If so, how about if we did switch to full TF, but kept JSON transport?  Obviously we couldnt expect 1Mtps then, but could we expect 200Ktps?

If so that should sustain us well long enough to get a testbed setup to convert peerexplorer, block explorers, and custom clients over to a binary transport protocol.

@CfB & Client Devs: I was seriously considering putting the requests sent to the NRS into a separate thread in order not to block the GUI while it is under way. With MANY requests passing back and forth, this can be a real problem, when the GUI seems unresponsive!

Do you guys use a separate NRS-request Thread?  And is this still neccessary when the legacy thing CfB mentioned is droppped?

hi l8orre, initialisation and sending funds are sync, updates while runnning async.
data is completely memory buffered without the need to buy latency via a disk based
database approach. closing the client writes a compressed runtime-image to disk
and loads it in one call to memory when started again. this structure removes problems
with orphaned blocks and not updated transaction confirmations, because the whole
account structure is updated, not incremental but complete. an average account
is loading/updating in 15-30 sec. this way. fast enough even with upcoming lesser block
creation time.

ps: iirc you are using python, just throw the json into a collection during runtime and dump
the collection serialized to disk. it's like a mini redis. superfast robust and easy to handle.
the lastest api improvements removed the need parsing raw blocks and transactions and
you can run an http/https async loop to update the structure in complete without the
need to care about timers and race conditions.
landomata
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 12:49:32 PM

NXT FEATURE DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE:

This committee will be tasked with determining and implementing the most requested Nxt features.

Budget: 3 million Nxt

Members: 7 Maximum

Damelon
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:49:53 PM

These are all ideas which could be discussed in the community. Where is the voting thread? Maybe there are not enough options to discuss. Let us first discuss, which can be done. Not in detail, just some roughly points.

Don't make me scream and cry! Wink

But yes, the community has already spoken. Smiley

Member of the Nxt Foundation | Donations: NXT-D6K7-MLY6-98FM-FLL5T
Join Nxt Slack! https://nxtchat.herokuapp.com/
Founder of Blockchain Workspace | Personal Site & Blog
ChuckOne

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:50:05 PM

What does that mean? Is the binary format already in use?

0.2.x versions worked with binary format. Now peer communication is done with JSON format.

Ah, I see.

Still, I strongly advice you to add another layer (compression whatever) instead of using a binary format.

From an engineering point of view, it's proven to be more reliable, secure and flexible. Especially when it comes to something sensitive like a currency system, please do not sacrifice security in favor of cool speed. I could live with 700TPS as well. Layers underneath NXT will evolve further and will eventually provide speed-ups in the future.
bitcoinpaul

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:51:38 PM

This committee will be tasked with determining and implementing the most requested Nxt features.

member: 7 Maximum

Sorry, what? A feature committee?

We need a committee of trustworthy people like Anon and co (we had a list somewhere, or a suggestion). They get the NXT, they make the voting panels for bounties, they transfer the NXT.
landomata
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 12:53:33 PM

Nxt features.....multisig, service providers, decentralized auction, etc.

EDIT: sorry I meant subcommittee....like marketing committee...etc.

or we can have one big committee and they can divided it up as they see fit.

CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 12:54:32 PM

Still, I strongly advice you to add another layer (compression whatever) instead of using a binary format.

I would agree that using, say, zlib style compression would be a better idea as it would allow for more TPS than the current JSON but would not be as tricky (i.e. stuff like "endian") as binary.

I think 1000+ TPS is the eventual goal - but hey Bitcoin doesn't even do its currently max. 7 TPS at the moment (so no great hurry to get there). Even 100 TPS would put Nxt well ahead of the pack.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
gs02xzz

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:55:16 PM

I am the only one guy who created a list of conferences, who created a list of people of conferences, who is constantly inviting people to the conferences and also who was trying to start to get the funding for the conferences.

Keep up to good work....just try to develop an objective way for the community to judge the results of the spending. (accounts created, Nxt mentions in media, Google searches. etc.)

This is normal practice for  any marketing department when they have to report to management.

Everything is being reported https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=412243.440
Everybody is encouraged to help.

Metrics are a good idea, but it is not exactly easy to create a direct correlation of any single expenditure to a specific account creation.

Now advertising is directly measurable, but the NXT community clearly rejected that.

Marketing and PR take time. It is both qualitative and quantitative.

I, personally, am impressed with what the marketing team has achieved. Let us not be such micromanagers of an area that might be outside our expertise.

Does anybody have serious issues about the quality of the Marketing? If so, please help improve it. We need Marketing/PR

James

+1. We have partnered with more exchanges, have articles on the major btc medias, coin desk and the magazine, accessed to the major radio talk show, access to major trade shows, create more educational materials, treads on the social network, more new nxters coming, ......... All this actions have direct positive impact on NXT's price. Marketing and sales are doing a great work.
Passion_ltc

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Crypti Community Manager

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:56:22 PM

We need a committee of trustworthy people like Anon and co (we had a list somewhere, or a suggestion). They get the NXT, they make the voting panels for bounties, they transfer the NXT.

Yes, this!

Let's choose 10 members and each one gets the same amount of NXT. They can distribute them freely, but they are connected somehow. Also they have to act like the community wants.

bitcoinpaul

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:58:54 PM

Ok, thanks for clarification. We should stick to one committee for this 10 Mio NXT which makes the polls etc.

Don't get into freaking detail and blah for this. Let us discuss, which people should be in it.
The committee gets the NXT, they do the polls. It is not THE committee for Nxt, it is one lousy committee for 10 Mio NXT. Don't freak out on that and let's do it.

We have brilliant and trustworthy people here. If they fuck up, well, then bye bye 10 Mio. NXT. But that's it. Better than babbling till April and CfB throws the NXT away.
pinarello

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

NXT is the future

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 01:05:21 PM

can owner of account 2537603335500006326 contact me please?

thank you
Pin

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 01:07:40 PM

We have brilliant and trustworthy people here. If they fuck up, well, then bye bye 10 Mio. NXT. But that's it. Better than babbling till April and CfB throws the NXT away.

More core features on the way, it means more bounties. I'll be paying bounties/rewards until u come to the consensus or April comes. Longer u decide - less u get in the end. Smiley
Damelon
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 01:08:21 PM

Ok, thanks for clarification. We should stick to one committee for this 10 Mio NXT which makes the polls etc.

Don't get into freaking detail and blah for this. Let us discuss, which people should be in it.
The committee gets the NXT, they do the polls. It is not THE committee for Nxt, it is one lousy committee for 10 Mio NXT. Don't freak out on that and let's do it.

Yes, please. The committee decided and acts. If it goes balls up, I'd rather have it that they tried than that we lose the 10 Mil because we couldn't even decide.
Sometimes you just have to JUMP in the knowledge that you can trust some people. Delegated authority etc.

Edit: We lose the 10 Mil anyway. Might as well be in spending than in meaningless destruction.

Member of the Nxt Foundation | Donations: NXT-D6K7-MLY6-98FM-FLL5T
Join Nxt Slack! https://nxtchat.herokuapp.com/
Founder of Blockchain Workspace | Personal Site & Blog
Pages: « 1 ... 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 [1381] 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: