Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:44:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 [709] 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761529 times)
BitAddict
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 06:26:45 PM

I have "discovered" a serious flaw in NXT. The IMF exists to stop the opposite attack on fiats, eg. massive short selling. CfB says this attack is well known, but I didn't know about it and so maybe you don't know about it either. I was told to post it publicly, so here it is:

I have come up with non-standard attack, call it financial attack.

Short term, this "attack" would be considered as fantastic by most NXT'ers and it consists of simply buying up all the NXT. Crazy, expensive?

Consider you are large govt with fiat of trillions of dollars, billion dollars is lunch money. They can easily win the "war on NXT". What happens if large scale accumulation of NXT occurs with $10 billion budget. How much of NXT will be left?

All accumulated NXT can be destroyed by sending to genesis acct permanently crippling NXT market. Or it can be converted to many darkNXT accts so nobody would even realize it is happening. I am assuming if we started seeing a lot of NXT being sent to genesis acct, we would notice, but so far no darkNXT detection is implemented. Without realizing, 90%+ of NXT could be destroyed with $10 billion.

Actually at $10 NXT, who wouldn't sell their NXT, so how much NXT will survive a financial attackers $10/NXT bid, especially if it was done cleverly to avoid detection? 1% left? Maybe even less. With .01 precision, smallest increment will be 10 cents even without any more price increase. NXT would be useless for microtransactions, until support is added for microNXT.

James

P.S. Solution is to not destroy NXT when sent to genesis acct, just have it automatically put into community fund. Also, PREVENT darkNXT at the protocol level. I guess evil financial attacker could simply destroy their key though so even with darkNXT fixed, there is no solution to this attack.

If they buy and destroy 90% of the coins is no problem.
Remaining 10% will be the new whole currency and it will keep working in the same way.

Also if they spend loads of billions to buy 90% of the currency with that money we can start stronger NxT 2.0 .... I don't see the problem.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
martismartis
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 06:27:32 PM

I have "discovered" a serious flaw in NXT. The IMF exists to stop the opposite attack on fiats, eg. massive short selling. CfB says this attack is well known, but I didn't know about it and so maybe you don't know about it either. I was told to post it publicly, so here it is:

Short term, this "attack" would be considered as fantastic by most NXT'ers and it consists of simply buying up all the NXT. Crazy, expensive?

Consider you are large govt with fiat of trillions of dollars, billion dollars is lunch money. They can easily win the "war on NXT". What happens if large scale accumulation of NXT occurs with $10 billion budget. How much of NXT will be left?

All accumulated NXT can be destroyed by sending to genesis acct permanently crippling NXT market. Or it can be converted to many darkNXT accts so nobody would even realize it is happening. I am assuming if we started seeing a lot of NXT being sent to genesis acct, we would notice, but so far no darkNXT detection is implemented. Without realizing, 90%+ of NXT could be destroyed with $10 billion.

Actually at $10 NXT, who wouldn't sell their NXT, so how much NXT will survive a financial attackers $10/NXT bid, especially if it was done cleverly to avoid detection? 1% left? Maybe even less. With .01 precision, smallest increment will be 10 cents even without any more price increase. NXT would be useless for microtransactions, until support is added for microNXT.

James

P.S. Solution is to not destroy NXT when sent to genesis acct, just have it automatically put into community fund. Also, PREVENT darkNXT at the protocol level. I guess evil financial attacker could simply destroy their key though so even with darkNXT fixed, there is no solution to this attack.

+1 This question was turning in my mind also.
opticalcarrier

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 06:30:11 PM

There is no way to be sure something is darkNXT, it can only be unconfirmed darkNXT. Some point down the road when 64bit keys are cracked, it won't be darkNXT anymore, just belongs to server farm that crack all the darkNXT.

James

exactly, which is why id prefer it kept out of circulation market cap figures until then.  And I used to be against your proposal to deny funding of darkNXT accounts but I dont think I am now.

and I guess I do agree with you on that the 0.5.1 release should prohibit those accounts with stolen funds from generating public keys.  We should do it now to try to flush out the thief because he knows if he doesnt xfer it now he'll never get it.  so lets all keep an eye on those accounts
brooklynbtc

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

AKA jefdiesel

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 06:35:17 PM

James

+1 This question was turning in my mind also.

but if they wanted to buy it all up for $10 a share, we could sell it. I wouldn't mind being a millionaire for them to prove their point. and yeah, then we all take our money and start nxtnxt

SN
S   U   P   E   R    N   E   T
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   
Uniting cryptocurrencies, Rewarding talent, Sharing benefits..

Blockchain Technology.

laowai80

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 06:36:37 PM

but if they wanted to buy it all up for $10 a share, we could sell it. I wouldn't mind being a millionaire for them to prove their point. and yeah, then we all take our money and start nxtnxt

nope, you'd be then buying at $11 and up from those who didn't sell at $10 Cheesy
jl777
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1132

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 06:39:56 PM

NXT will make bitcoin look like the pony express. bitcoin does not have the potential to become a significant part of the overall economy.

Separately, I was PM'ed by a certain someone about by "totally tasteless behavior". I so want to debate him in public, but still waiting on his permission to post his PM. Just got permission!

Your style of downplaying DGEX at every possible point to promote your exchange is rather tasteless.

I would prefer to see healthy competition come up with mutual respect towards our efforts for the good of NXT community. Arrogant attitude undermining pioneering competition may kick you back sooner than late.

Thank you.

Graviton

I say things that I feel need to be said. I am trying to create an alternative to dgex using peercover and ripple. I have no ownership of either, though I do business with peercover and use ripple for my day job. The NXT community needs a place to trade NXT that they can trust.

Is it healthy competition to pick the EXACT hours of source code release to do a multihour upgrade that introduces unannounced fee changes?

Why exactly did it take so many hours of downtime just to implement new fee structure?

Why wasn't anybody emailed or at least the website updated with announcement of new fees?

Why wasn't there a reasonable amount of time for people to withdraw under the fee structure they deposited with?

Does the fact that trading volume at dgex has gone down 80% have anything to do with your supposedly lowering fees?

If this is tasteless an arrogant behavior that I will get kicked for, then so be it. You have not done good for the NXT community with your behavior on Jan 3rd. NXT community will not forget; you have lost my trust that you care about NXT.

James

http://www.digitalcatallaxy.com/report2015.html
100+ page annual report for SuperNET
brooklynbtc

AKA jefdiesel

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 06:46:07 PM

nope, you'd be then buying at $11 and up from those who didn't sell at $10 Cheesy

ha sure that too

SN

Blockchain Technology.

cryptonoob50khs

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 06:46:54 PM

my password that worked fine in december now opens different account(i didn't log in since 26 december or something like that)
i have tried too many times to add some spaces(who knows) before and after my password - still didn't catch right number.
bye bye 5000 nxt.
fuck this, i know probably its my fault, but honestly - i don't know where i commit the error.
i hope nxt will die, so i never regret for this lost account.  Sad
If it will be successful - so nice to be such a lucky idiot.
don't wanna buy anymore:
1.don't have money for it.
2.and  even if it was my fault, i don't trust anymore.

sad.
brooklynbtc

AKA jefdiesel

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 06:47:22 PM

also, dgex seems to be back up, for those looking to buy, sell or withdraw

SN

Blockchain Technology.

bitcoinpaul

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 06:47:37 PM

exactly, which is why id prefer it kept out of circulation market cap figures until then.  And I used to be against your proposal to deny funding of darkNXT accounts but I dont think I am now.

Not everyone sends at least 1 NXT to himself to get a public key. Many don't know they should do it if they hadn't any outgoing transactions.
These are saving accounts. Saving-account-NXTs can always get into circulation again, any time. Like the ones with this special outgoing transaction. I think this would be misleading.

and I guess I do agree with you on that the 0.5.1 release should prohibit those accounts with stolen funds from generating public keys.  We should do it now to try to flush out the thief because he knows if he doesnt xfer it now he'll never get it.  so lets all keep an eye on those accounts

Weird centralized action, wouldn't it be? Who decides this?
brooklynbtc

AKA jefdiesel

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 06:48:36 PM

my password that worked fine in december now opens different account(i didn't log in since 26 december or something like that)
i have tried too many times to add some spaces(who knows) before and after my password - still didn't catch right number.
bye bye 5000 nxt.
fuck this, i know probably its my fault, but honestly - i don't know where i commit the error.
i hope nxt will die, so i never regret for this lost account.  Sad
If it will be successful - so nice to be such a lucky idiot.
don't wanna buy anymore:
1.don't have money for it.
2.and  even if it was my fault, i don't trust anymore.

sad.

share me your guess of a password, I can try and win the prize. 50% finders fee. also send the block chain so we can see theres NXT there

SN

Blockchain Technology.

gbeirn

Activity: 126

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 06:49:13 PM

James

This is incredibly dangerous. Especially since the way the US prints money they could easily offer $1000US/NXT to do it Wink

NXT VPS Server Donations can be sent here: 6044921191674841550
At the end of each month I will donate some of them back to the community.
This is separate from my main wallet so you can keep track of them. I will keep them in there and only use them for hosting.
bitcoinpaul

Activity: 910

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 06:50:11 PM

This is incredibly dangerous. Especially since the way the US prints money they could easily offer $1000US/NXT to do it Wink

sellsellsell!!!
gbeirn

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 06:51:23 PM

exactly, which is why id prefer it kept out of circulation market cap figures until then.  And I used to be against your proposal to deny funding of darkNXT accounts but I dont think I am now.

Not everyone sends at least 1 NXT to himself to get a public key. Many don't know they should do it if they hadn't any outgoing transactions.
These are saving accounts. Saving-account-NXTs can always get into circulation again, any time. Like the ones with this special outgoing transaction. I think this would be misleading.

and I guess I do agree with you on that the 0.5.1 release should prohibit those accounts with stolen funds from generating public keys.  We should do it now to try to flush out the thief because he knows if he doesnt xfer it now he'll never get it.  so lets all keep an eye on those accounts

Weird centralized action, wouldn't it be? Who decides this?

Yes this is dangerous centralization. We can keep an eye on those accounts, sure but who are we to try and lock certain accounts at a whim. Chalk this on up to a learning lesson, fool us once.......

This is separate from my main wallet so you can keep track of them. I will keep them in there and only use them for hosting.
RandomUser456

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 06:51:47 PM

I'm trying to download the current version of the NXT client but I just keep getting 'Failed - server problem' errors when using the download link on this thread or on the NXT website. Is the site having issues or is it my end?

Any idea how long it will be before it's working again?

Cheers.
BitcoinForumator
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 06:52:23 PM

Well I think Graviton/DGEX didn't do everything bad, he worked hard and helped the community but with the fees he will shoot himself in the foot.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 06:54:49 PM

Does http://freenxt.com/ work?
gbeirn

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 06:56:02 PM

Site is down for me if that's what you are asking

pinarello

Activity: 266

NXT is the future

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 06:57:41 PM

NO

josephliton

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 06:57:49 PM

Same here,it is down.

Pages: « 1 ... 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 [709] 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: