Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 04:17:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 [849] 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761533 times)
utopianfuture

Activity: 602
Merit: 268

Internet of Value

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 10:45:54 PM

Hey, what do you think about this...

NXT –  created by an unknown rebel,describeveloped by free people!

Do you like the world? Do you like the governments? The system? No? You are not alone! Nobody likes to be lied, nobody likes to be restricted, nobody likes to face a wall every time he starts a business, to be forced to break the law, to be pushed around, to be humiliated… But there’s going to be a change! BTC showed the way, it injected a virus in the system. Now NXT will do the rest. An unknown genius rebel, who watched the development of the “virus”, created his masterpiece, setting the beginning of the revolution! Nothing will stop the process, because nothing can stop it! It is irreversible! NXT creates an enviroment with countless opportunities, an environment in which we will build our empire of freedom!

I can totally see the words "genius" & "masterpiece" being used to describe satoshi but lets wait for some solid proof & evidence first before we use those words to describe BCnext.

Right now we have lots of hype n "sizzle" but I dont see any solid "steak" yet to show for the Nxt hype yet.

No hard feelings BCnext...

Right now, from an early adopter & Nxt investor perspective, all I see is another copy cat programmer attempting to copy satoshi's shroud of anonymity, idea of a public ledger,  etc.

Being "original" is genius.
Being "different" is NOT genius.

Keep in mind that satoshi created btc to take power away from the 1% on wall street  n give it back to the 99% on Main Street while BCnext created nxt for personal financial gains.

keep in mind that there is nothing wrong with doing some thing for personal financial gains but I would hesitate to compare or place an unproven coder on the genius level of satoshi.

I invested in nxt because it was the first copy cat coin to make an attempt to come up with its own source code instead of being lazy n copying satoshi's code.

Is it possible that BCnext is another genius like satoshi?  Of course its possible...

I hope BCnext is able to produce the code that he claims n provide proof of his genius. ..

Until there is proof... BCnext is just another wanna be copy cat...

once proof is clearly available. .. I will be the first to promote the genius of BCnext's.

Wow I thought you should know better since you said you are an investor from an early day. The guy doesn't care about money. You should come back and browse all the posts BCNext made in this forum and you will see that the guy want to make his idea material first. Financial gain will come but I don't think that is his primary concern. If he is materialistic, he would have done another J.R mastercoin fundraising style and pocket 1-2 thousand BTC instead of a mere 21 BTC.

It takes a historical perspective to know what kind of contributions BCNext would make so I agree that at this point over-hype is premature. But in my personal observations, he has shown some signs of a genius in the making in some levels. There are technical innovations such as POS, transparent forging, however what I see the most valuable in his works is a coherent vision of what a decentralized network could be. It's similar to the way Steve Job designs the first Iphone. There are technical improvements compared to earlier smartphones in the first Iphone, but much more important innovation is the way everything is brought together to define what a smartphone should be. NXT decentralized network could be the same. It will succeed not on a specific feature but on the way all the different features are bought together in a coherent framework; plus all that hi-techs are accompanied with strong message of decentralization and community involvement. That the whole package together imho is the novel contribution.    

Satoshi has paved the way with his blockchain original idea. But without a written evidences, I doubt Satoshi has such a strong vision of how a decentralized network based on blockchain technology could be. So in a sense, BCNext extends Satoshi's original idea.

We still need to wait for the actual implementation of NXT decentralized network and there are still much uncertainty ahead. But the only reason I has devoted so much my time to this venture is because I has a conviction in my above judgement. I believe in NXT success and the validation of BCNext's ideas.

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
█████████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
  TomoChain  •    •  TomoChain 
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
Asian Prepper

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2014, 10:53:03 PM

Where do i find this client? Do the charts work?

As of 2014-04-09 I no longer post as "Asian Prepper" and will post under my real name "Tai Zen" to eliminate confusion.

Founder of www.PrisonOrFreedom.com | BTC: 19HHZ1yEimKUYVFM9TkXqd9xwM54jSFrmc | LTC:  LTA99422wieqR1MfWeNxZU5xAsESE9MzW7 | NXT:  17225446755425423638
Jean-Luc

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2014, 10:54:40 PM

I just posted a proposal to fix the account number typo-problem over at the official forums:
https://forums.nxtcrypto.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=524 <- making NXT account numbers awesome!

What do you think about that?
I think this is a great idea and I will support including it in the official client.

lead Nxt developer, gpg key id: 0x811D6940E1E4240C
Nxt blockchain platform | Ardor blockchain platform | Ignis ICO
chanc3r

Activity: 952
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 10:55:57 PM

nxt system should have a validation function to verify the account is available.

e.g:
acct: 209832084023840384023
MD5 & SHA Checksum: DfwSgeH

so the new account: DfwSgeH-209832084023840384023

Check the MD5 or SHA to verify the account available..

thanks for this example coolfish,
could you explain further please how this checksum approach can verify account available?

it just a simple example.

acct: 209832084023840384023
MD5 & SHA Checksum: DfwSgeH    // from MD5("accountid")

so the new account: DfwSgeH-209832084023840384023  // from  substr(MD5("accountid"),6)+ "- accountid"

//substr(MD5("209832084023840384023"),6)=="DfwSgeH"
if( substr(MD5("209832084023840384023"),6)==substr("DfwSgeH-209832084023840384023",6) ) it is available..
else unavailable.

Each new account is password and userid combination : password-userid

Please see my thread about that in the other forum: https://forums.nxtcrypto.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=524
We can do a lot better than merely detecting if the user made an error. With the method presented there, we can correct what the user typed. - That's 2nd gen. :p

thx, ricot,

ok, understood. usefull for users typing in account numbers but this doesn't answer my question.
this doesn't help to prevent sending funds to hiberNXT, or does it and if, could you please explain how?

as said, i am currently on this, therefore i would like to understand the whole procedure.
from what i see the main problem is to copy or even type a number to send funds to
which is not the intended number and therefore the funds are lost in hiberNXT.

is this what we are talking about?

In the days when computers were simple - people used simple solutions - why can't we just add a check digit - will catch most mistakes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luhn_algorithm

greyw00lf

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 11:01:39 PM

Stable release 0.5.5:

http://download.nxtcrypto.org/nxt-client-0.5.5.zip

sha256: aa20fb32fe7e6cda7debee59928d5aea8ff7c581c58a56ff68e8252eaf9368c7

0.5.4e worked really great. 24 hours+ and no re-scan necessary. Great work!
Now I will update to 0.5.5 - thanks!
still running 0.5.3 on my Raspberry Pi - very stable!
00:00:57 up 3 days,  4:07,  1 user,  load average: 0.66, 0.86, 0.88

Asian Prepper

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2014, 11:08:34 PM

Asian Prepper,

Have you tried to find bugs in the released source code?
Have you ever seen so much functionality packed into such few lines of code?

From your statements it is likely that you are not a programmer. I am a pretty experienced programmer and I can usually find bugs in other people's code pretty quickly. However, only ricot seems to have been able to find any sort of problem with the current source code. I am ignoring style issues, lack of software engineering rigor, etc. This is after all a beta test.

Also, my understanding is that BCNext has spent more money than he has made with NXT. He created something totally new (Transparent Forging), tossed in all other altcoin features, made it run on cellphones and you doubt his genius??

James

I am not a programmer at all n not qualified to make any comments about the source code.  I make my comments strictly from a user's perspective....

I am glad to hear that your review of the code has been positive.  And that ricot feels the same way.

I don't understand how the new features of nxt will be coded cuz i'm not a coder at all... but as a user.... I can totally see the huge value and advantage that nxt's features can bring to the market this is why I took the risk to invest my money into nxt so I'm not some knucklehead in the media who comments on btc or nxt n has never bought, owned or sold a btc.

I'm just stating the current status of nxt.  We talk about all these new features but as a user... I'm not able to use any of those features yet so it's still a "fantasy" until it becomes a reality...

Like I said before... once the proof is available that users like myself can use the features of nxt like BCnext claims then I'll be the first to promote n market the genius behind his work but if all we have is the source code right... n no implementation.... we are far from having solid proof that BCnext is another Satoshi genius.

I understand it takes time to create the code n put it to work so that users like myself can use it n i'm wiling to be patient n waiting.

During this Beta period... i'm gonna hold back from putting BCnext on the same stage as Satoshi....

Tai Zen

As of 2014-04-09 I no longer post as "Asian Prepper" and will post under my real name "Tai Zen" to eliminate confusion.

Founder of www.PrisonOrFreedom.com | BTC: 19HHZ1yEimKUYVFM9TkXqd9xwM54jSFrmc | LTC:  LTA99422wieqR1MfWeNxZU5xAsESE9MzW7 | NXT:  17225446755425423638
marcus03

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 11:11:39 PM

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Stable release 0.5.5:

http://download.nxtcrypto.org/nxt-client-0.5.5.zip

sha256: aa20fb32fe7e6cda7debee59928d5aea8ff7c581c58a56ff68e8252eaf9368c7

Change log:

Added getGuaranteedBalance API:
http://localhost:7874/nxt?requestType=getGuaranteedBalance&account=account&numberOfConfirmations=numberOfConfirmations
returns the balance of an account only considering transactions with confimration count >= numberOfConfirmations.

The API requests getAccountBlockIds and getAccountTransactionIds now return sorted results.

Added getAccountPublicKey and getGuaranteedBalance to admin.html page.

More performance optimizations.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.12 (GNU/Linux)
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=U0LQ
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Running it now on my RPi.

Any chance of an API call to get updated confirmation counts for a batch of transactions, e.g. for all transactions in a block? Updating these one-by-one will not scale.

See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=313082.msg4425690#msg4425690 for more.

Thanks!

Asian Prepper

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2014, 11:19:55 PM

symbol is finally changed on coinmarket!

http://coinmarketcap.com/

thx bitcoinpaul I think

Pin

From a sales/marketing perspective... I think that calling Nextcoin by "Nxt" instead of "Nextcoin" is a huge mistake.

Nothing kills adoption faster then "confusion".  Calling something "Nxt" is confusing as hell.  I know u commented on my video once n asked me to use the term Nxt instead of Nextcoin n it took several weeks before I realized what you were even talking about.

I think we should have stuck with the term "Nextcoin".

Instead of relying on fancy names to promote Nextcoin, we should be focused on making solid features on Nxt and make it as user friendly and easy to understand as possible.

This is one area that is still lacking in the crypto market despite the fact that we have dozens of different currencies.

people who are already in the crypto currency market can figure out and understand what "Nxt" is… But people new to the crypto currency market will have no clue (unless they do extensive research) to even know that Nxt is a crypto currency.

Confusion is not good for public adoption...

Nextcoin would be just as confusing, because Nxt isn't a coin, or rather not just a coin. The "coin" is part of the larger system.

I clearly understand that nxt is not a coin.  What do you think people will find when they search for "what is nextcoin?" vs. "what is nxt?" on google?

Right now, the only people that know nxt is a crypto are people on these forums... in order to get massive adoption it's important that the non technie public can "instantly" recognized the term we use. 

Do you think people will understand "nextcoin" easier or just using the words "next"?

I understand we want to differentiate ourselves from btc to show that we are unique n different.  We can do that by making nxt easier to "use"  rather then using a fancy name that does nothing but causes confusion.

I've known and invested in btc n cryptos for a yr now n still did not know what "next" was when I heard n saw it for the first time... however, i instantly knew what the term "nextcoin" meant the first time i heard it.

Imagine how a new public user would think when they first hear the term "next".  don't put urself in ur shoes. put yourself in the shoes of a new non techie user.

jl777
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1132

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2014, 11:24:35 PM

Asian Prepper,

From your statements it is likely that you are not a programmer. I am a pretty experienced programmer and I can usually find bugs in other people's code pretty quickly. However, only ricot seems to have been able to find any sort of problem with the current source code. I am ignoring style issues, lack of software engineering rigor, etc. This is after all a beta test.

Also, my understanding is that BCNext has spent more money than he has made with NXT. He created something totally new (Transparent Forging), tossed in all other altcoin features, made it run on cellphones and you doubt his genius??

James

I am not a programmer at all n not qualified to make any comments about the source code.  I make my comments strictly from a user's perspective....

I am glad to hear that your review of the code has been positive.  And that ricot feels the same way.

I don't understand how the new features of nxt will be coded cuz i'm not a coder at all... but as a user.... I can totally see the huge value and advantage that nxt's features can bring to the market this is why I took the risk to invest my money into nxt so I'm not some knucklehead in the media who comments on btc or nxt n has never bought, owned or sold a btc.

I'm just stating the current status of nxt.  We talk about all these new features but as a user... I'm not able to use any of those features yet so it's still a "fantasy" until it becomes a reality...

Like I said before... once the proof is available that users like myself can use the features of nxt like BCnext claims then I'll be the first to promote n market the genius behind his work but if all we have is the source code right... n no implementation.... we are far from having solid proof that BCnext is another Satoshi genius.

I understand it takes time to create the code n put it to work so that users like myself can use it n i'm wiling to be patient n waiting.

During this Beta period... i'm gonna hold back from putting BCnext on the same stage as Satoshi....

Tai Zen

Certainly, it is still very early days for NXT. Still need to fix bugs, etc. I also cannot speak on ricot's behalf.

Any average programmer can code solvable problems by writing a bunch of code. Few are able to write a little code that does a lot. BCNext wrote about 4000 lines of Java code to implement NXT framework. From what I can tell, all of the new features in progress won't take as much as 4000 lines. There was a couple hundred lines of code that looked like it implemented Asset Exchange. a couple hundred lines! Also, from a difficulty standpoint, all the cool end user features pale in difficulty compared to Transparent Forging. Very valuable from end user point of view, but not requiring of genius. Transparent Forging is genius, no doubt.

BCNext doesn't have to do anymore to prove his genius to me. If you want to wait until jean-luc and others polish the codebase to give BCNext his credit, then that is certainly your perogative.

Many think that BCnext might be Satoshi, but that's probably too easy.

James

http://www.digitalcatallaxy.com/report2015.html
100+ page annual report for SuperNET
Asian Prepper

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2014, 11:26:34 PM

Hey, what do you think about this...

NXT –  created by an unknown rebel,describeveloped by free people!

Do you like the world? Do you like the governments? The system? No? You are not alone! Nobody likes to be lied, nobody likes to be restricted, nobody likes to face a wall every time he starts a business, to be forced to break the law, to be pushed around, to be humiliated… But there’s going to be a change! BTC showed the way, it injected a virus in the system. Now NXT will do the rest. An unknown genius rebel, who watched the development of the “virus”, created his masterpiece, setting the beginning of the revolution! Nothing will stop the process, because nothing can stop it! It is irreversible! NXT creates an enviroment with countless opportunities, an environment in which we will build our empire of freedom!

I can totally see the words "genius" & "masterpiece" being used to describe satoshi but lets wait for some solid proof & evidence first before we use those words to describe BCnext.

Right now we have lots of hype n "sizzle" but I dont see any solid "steak" yet to show for the Nxt hype yet.

No hard feelings BCnext...

Right now, from an early adopter & Nxt investor perspective, all I see is another copy cat programmer attempting to copy satoshi's shroud of anonymity, idea of a public ledger,  etc.

Being "original" is genius.
Being "different" is NOT genius.

Keep in mind that satoshi created btc to take power away from the 1% on wall street  n give it back to the 99% on Main Street while BCnext created nxt for personal financial gains.

keep in mind that there is nothing wrong with doing some thing for personal financial gains but I would hesitate to compare or place an unproven coder on the genius level of satoshi.

I invested in nxt because it was the first copy cat coin to make an attempt to come up with its own source code instead of being lazy n copying satoshi's code.

Is it possible that BCnext is another genius like satoshi?  Of course its possible...

I hope BCnext is able to produce the code that he claims n provide proof of his genius. ..

Until there is proof... BCnext is just another wanna be copy cat...

once proof is clearly available. .. I will be the first to promote the genius of BCnext's.

Wow I thought you should know better since you said you are an investor from an early day. The guy doesn't care about money. You should come back and browse all the posts BCNext made in this forum and you will see that the guy want to make his idea material first. Financial gain will come but I don't think that is his primary concern. If he is materialistic, he would have done another J.R mastercoin fundraising style and pocket 1-2 thousand BTC instead of a mere 21 BTC.

It takes a historical perspective to know what kind of contributions BCNext would make so I agree that at this point over-hype is premature. But in my personal observations, he has shown some signs of a genius in the making in some levels. There are technical innovations such as POS, transparent forging, however what I see the most valuable in his works is a coherent vision of what a decentralized network could be. It's similar to the way Steve Job designs the first Iphone. There are technical improvements compared to earlier smartphones in the first Iphone, but much more important innovation is the way everything is brought together to define what a smartphone should be. NXT decentralized network could be the same. It will succeed not on a specific feature but on the way all the different features are bought together in a coherent framework; plus all that hi-techs are accompanied with strong message of decentralization and community involvement. That the whole package together imho is the novel contribution.    

Satoshi has paved the way with his blockchain original idea. But without a written evidences, I doubt Satoshi has such a strong vision of how a decentralized network based on blockchain technology could be. So in a sense, BCNext extends Satoshi's original idea.

We still need to wait for the actual implementation of NXT decentralized network and there are still much uncertainty ahead. But the only reason I has devoted so much my time to this venture is because I has a conviction in my above judgement. I believe in NXT success and the validation of BCNext's ideas.

If I was a coder, i would jump in to help in developing nxt because i believe it has huge potential but i'm not a coder.

i specialize in sales/marketing but i can't promote nxt n it's features/benefits when it doesn't exist yet...

Nxt is still very young so i'm in no rush cuz i know it takes time... all i'm saying is that BCnext still in Beta n unproven at this point that's all...

Asian Prepper

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2014, 11:30:11 PM

Asian Prepper,

James

Tai Zen

Certainly, it is still very early days for NXT. Still need to fix bugs, etc. I also cannot speak on ricot's behalf.

Any average programmer can code solvable problems by writing a bunch of code. Few are able to write a little code that does a lot. BCNext wrote about 4000 lines of Java code to implement NXT framework. From what I can tell, all of the new features in progress won't take as much as 4000 lines. There was a couple hundred lines of code that looked like it implemented Asset Exchange. a couple hundred lines! Also, from a difficulty standpoint, all the cool end user features pale in difficulty compared to Transparent Forging. Very valuable from end user point of view, but not requiring of genius. Transparent Forging is genius, no doubt.

BCNext doesn't have to do anymore to prove his genius to me. If you want to wait until jean-luc and others polish the codebase to give BCNext his credit, then that is certainly your perogative.

Many think that BCnext might be Satoshi, but that's probably too easy.

James

I'm not a coder so i am not capable of having the same level of appreciation for those 4000 lines of java code like u do... :-(

I have to wait until I can actually "use" the code before I can appreciate and promote it...

Sorry... wish i was a "real" asian who can code...

EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 11:31:06 PM

thx bitcoinpaul I think

Pin

From a sales/marketing perspective... I think that calling Nextcoin by "Nxt" instead of "Nextcoin" is a huge mistake.

Nothing kills adoption faster then "confusion".  Calling something "Nxt" is confusing as hell.  I know u commented on my video once n asked me to use the term Nxt instead of Nextcoin n it took several weeks before I realized what you were even talking about.

Instead of relying on fancy names to promote Nextcoin, we should be focused on making solid features on Nxt and make it as user friendly and easy to understand as possible.

This is one area that is still lacking in the crypto market despite the fact that we have dozens of different currencies.

people who are already in the crypto currency market can figure out and understand what "Nxt" is… But people new to the crypto currency market will have no clue (unless they do extensive research) to even know that Nxt is a crypto currency.

Nextcoin would be just as confusing, because Nxt isn't a coin, or rather not just a coin. The "coin" is part of the larger system.

I clearly understand that nxt is not a coin.  What do you think people will find when they search for "what is nextcoin?" vs. "what is nxt?" on google?

Right now, the only people that know nxt is a crypto are people on these forums... in order to get massive adoption it's important that the non technie public can "instantly" recognized the term we use. 

Do you think people will understand "nextcoin" easier or just using the words "next"?

I understand we want to differentiate ourselves from btc to show that we are unique n different.  We can do that by making nxt easier to "use"  rather then using a fancy name that does nothing but causes confusion.

I've known and invested in btc n cryptos for a yr now n still did not know what "next" was when I heard n saw it for the first time... however, i instantly knew what the term "nextcoin" meant the first time i heard it.

Imagine how a new public user would think when they first hear the term "next".  don't put urself in ur shoes. put yourself in the shoes of a new non techie user.

I think that the problem with having "coin" appended to NXT is that NXT is not just intended as a crypto-currency, but will become an entire eco-system built around the blockchain.

Calling it Nextcoin will give the impression that it has no more to offer than BitCoin, DogeCoin, CatCoin, RonPaulCoin... (etc, etc)....when in reality there is going to be way more to NXTthan simply pushing money round the interwebs.

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
chanc3r

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 11:31:18 PM

As long as we are establishing some standardized user-friendly methodology here for the non-geek common man or woman, I'd like to go ahead and document in the forum another idea I've had along this line.  

If NXT is going to succeed, it is going to succeed because the average person worldwide starts using NXT via their cellphone.  yes

Let me say that again.

If NXT is going to succeed, it is going to succeed because the average person worldwide starts using NXT via their cellphone.

The last thing a person with a cellphone is going to do is sit there and type in a 50 digit uppercase-lowercase password to buy a candy bar with NXT.  yes

Let me say that again.

The last thing a person with a cellphone is going to do is sit there and type in a 50 digit uppercase-lowercase password to buy a candy bar with NXT.  

So at some point between the geeks dreaming this stuff up and the average joe using it, there is going to be the creation of a user-friendly surrogate password method that is easier to use, just like the user-friendly surrogate account number method being brilliantly addressed by this Reed Solomon thread.

My proposed solution is a centralized (gasp - ha ha ha) trusted authority (just like the centralized trusted authority that manufactures and mails credit cards today) that manufactures sets of matching metal medallions sold in a tamperproof blister pack to everyday average people.  They can buy them at the convenience store next to the cigarettes and the condoms.   Heck, we might even give them away for free.  Opening this blister pack lets them instantly create a NXT account on their cellphone.

As an aside, this person has just opened an NXT bank account at the same time he bought those condoms.  Opening a bank account is a big deal and getting harder and harder for more and more people to do.   Bank accounts in a box for the lower middle class are a booming business - see "Bluebird" from AmEx and Walmart here in America: https://www.bluebird.com/?SOLID=BBSEMITS .  There's still time for NXT to get in this game on the ground level...

Anyway, on these NXT metal medallions are QR codes purchasers scan with their phone.

Scanning the first medallion QR brings up an NXT client install package from Google Play or the Apple App store.  The user runs this.

Once the client is installed on the phone, the user runs the NXT client for the first time and scans the second metal medallion QR.  This loads the fresh client with a user account code - the same 20 character user code discussed above, which is also stamped on the back of the second medallion in human readable form.

The user puts the third NXT metal medallion on their keychain along with their key to their house / apartment and the key to their car.  (Or in Africa, the padlock to their bicycle.  Whatever).  This medallion has a QR code containing the 50 character passcode for the account they've loaded in their cellphone.  When they want to buy that candy bar, they scan the vendor's account medallion QR, then they scan their passcode medallion QR on their keychain.  Boom.  They've bought a candy bar, NXT has conquered the world.

They lose their cellphone, no problem, the passcode medallion is still on their keychain and their NXT is safe.  When they get a new cellphone, they rescan their original two medallions and they are back back up and running as an NXT user.

They lose their keys, or a purse containing both their cellphone and their keys, they've got a problem.  Whoever finds the keychain can use the medallion on the keychain to empty their NXT account once they read / decode its QR code and get to a desktop computer with a NXT client - or enter a home they're not supposed to be in, or steal a vehicle, or run up a tab on a stolen credit card.  Hey, it's a bitch to lose your keys or purse.

This is why when they bought the original blister pack in the convenience store, there was a second passcode medallion in it.  They have stored this second passcode medallion along with the user account number medallion in the safety of a home hiding place.   If they lose their keychain or purse, along with changing the locks on their home or canceling their credit card, they have to go to the convenience store and buy another NXT blister pack with a new set of NXT medallions.   They run the "emergency total funds transfer" option on their cellphone client by scanning first the original spare passcode medallion, then the replacement user account medallion.  As long as they do this before a bandit finds and uses their lost keychain passcode medallion, they're OK.  Hey, that's better than losing the cash in their purse - it's gone instantly!  Use NXT instead of cash, common folks, it's cheaper than a credit card (psst - "cash back" is a total scam!!!) and unlike cash you've got a shot at transferring NXT to safety if it's lost or stolen!

People will buy into this scenario because it so closely matches what their current situation is on using and protecting their credit cards, which is a widely understood protocol.  The big difference is that credit card companies will not hold them liable for losses on a stolen credit card - those losses are passed on to all credit card users in the form of higher fees and interest rates.  With NXT, you are all on your own, and nothing can change that.  Better hope you scan a new medallion to transfer your funds to safety before somebody else scans your lost or stolen medallion and takes all your NXT.

This whole scenario depends on a centralized (boo! hiss!) trusted source of the metal medallions - jut like there is currently a central trusted authority that manufactures and mails valid credit cards that get activated over the phone.  That manufacturer has got to have iron clad security ensuring that only one set of medallions are produced that go into one blister pack, with no duplicates or records of what passcodes were generated.   And for this scheme to work, people buying the blister packs on the street (the 50-90% of people in the world who aren't going to sit down in front of a computer and generate their own 50 character passcode in a random and secure manner) have got to trust that.

Which leads to the whole subject of scammers counterfeiting the blister packs and monitoring accounts they've created until somebody loads it with NXT for them to steal.   I don't have all the answers, here.  I think the correct answer is that the success and utility and usefulness of the mobile phone NXT system is so great overcomes the distraction of the inevitable but hopefully small vultures that prey on its outskirts and perimeter.  [EDITED TO ADD: I guess an obvious measure to counterfeiting medallions would be for an offical client downloaded from a trusted source like Apple APP Store or Google Play to verify that a loaded user account number was on a pre-authorized list coordinated with the medallion manufacturer.  Then you "only" have to monitor the App Store or Google Play to see that no rouge clients got uploaded as part of a fake medallion scam...]

So - metal NXT medallions sold in blisterpacks to the 50-90% of the world with a cellphone who will never sit down at a computer and create their own 50 character passcode securely and randomly.  That's my concept.  If you think it's unworkable, then I ask you:

How can people with cellphones buy a candy bar with NXT?

The pass codes medallions will be copied and when the customer uses them the retailer who copied them will steal the NXT.
Or family, friends, work colleagues will do this.

I agree with your thoughts but not the implementation, this suggestion below is rough, not perfect, and is similar to some of the mobile money implementations in existence - which while they don't use digital currencies they do create a 3DES key for control and access to funds.

The user downloads an app from the app store.
The user selects a pin for the app.
The app generates a passcode for a nxt account - using an algorithm - I would use a recoverable multi-part code - possibly the sim number or IMEI, the phone number and the pin (the app can hash it - the point is its hard to replicate and results in strong passwords but can be recovered)

Reason for this...
The user knows the pin, the network knows the phone number and the sim number / IMEI - the SIM/IMEI numbers are never re-used and globally unique
It also means if the user loses the phone then using phone company records (if they don't know the sim number) and a recover option on the app which knows the passcode algorithm the NXT can be recovered.
To steal something someone would need to know all parts of the code.

For an advanced user you could allow them to store their own strong passcode with a warning they need to keep a copy.

Access to the NXT account would be via the PIN and the customer would be advised to add a phone pin lock also you can add wipe on 5 fails option in case of brute force attack on the pin - which is usually enough to protect it.

To support the emerging market where the majority of phones are non-smart - i.e. only SMS and USSD services then either you don't go there or you need an STK sim application or a USSD gateway application which users can access, which would do the registration etc - this can be done and is in place for volume e-money applications today - you would need cooperation of the phone company to some degree.

Merchant transactions are tough - person to person transfers can have some lag, BTC is ludicrous but when you have a queue of customers in a shop even 10s of seconds are an issue for the shopkeeper. Also you need to have a clear app transaction model between the merchant and the customer and identity transfer using a method which is universally available and there are lots of places in the world which don't have electronic tills, scanners or readers. So a merchant transaction is subtly different from a normal P2P transaction - this is too long to articulate here but there are some card-less models in Africa which are being quite successful much to VISA/MCard/Googles annoyance.

Damelon
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 11:32:42 PM

thx bitcoinpaul I think

Pin

I think that starting out as "Nextcoin" to avoid confusion (although I understand the reasoning behind it) and thén trying to change it back later to Nxt is what will cause even more confusion, and also more work in PR and marketing.
A better idea to my taste is to push NXT as the brand as hard as possible. The "coin" part can be referred to separately.

You see the line of reasoning I mean in this thread: https://forums.nxtcrypto.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=524.
The NXT brand is used there as an identifier.

Confusing the brand at the start by trying to be something that you are not is more confusing, not to mention difficult to get rid of, in the future. You have a good chance you end up being "stuck" with the Nextcoin brand. The same confusion that is potentially there (which I think is overstated) will still be there later, unless you at least heavily incorporate "Nxt" from the start besides "Nextcoin" or "Nxtcoin" (of which the latter seems better but also very forced).

As to the non-techie user, I think he or she has less problems with Nxt, as he won't be burdened with the idea of altcoins to begin with. To them it will just be a new service, by whatever name it is called. "Nxt" will more likely be connotated as "the next way of payment" than as "the next Bitcoin".

Member of the Nxt Foundation | Donations: NXT-D6K7-MLY6-98FM-FLL5T
Join Nxt Slack! https://nxtchat.herokuapp.com/
Founder of Blockchain Workspace | Personal Site & Blog
PaulyC

Activity: 82

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2014, 11:37:03 PM

I am little curious why devs didn't create aliases Smiley or why almost all big stakeholders didn't make aliases  Cool

Btw, how to delete an alias:
Create a new account, send there some coins, rebuy your alias by using a pass from 1st account for 1 coin, then buy the same alias for more coins by the 2nd acc passphrase

This.
Although i've asked a couple times about transferring or buying/selling of aliases in the future, and so far have only read it's not possible, on the forum, perhaps it's something that can be implemented in the future,
I would like the ability to transfer alias from account to another, with a cost (even 0 NXT, with the smallest fee if possible) chosen by the sender.

Doge Mars Landing Foundation
(founder) Coined the phrase, "Doge to the Mars" and "Check that Hash!". Discoverer of the 2013 NXT nefarious wallet.  Admin. FameMom [FAMOM]
chanc3r

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 11:39:29 PM

I just posted a proposal to fix the account number typo-problem over at the official forums:
https://forums.nxtcrypto.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=524 <- making NXT account numbers awesome!

What do you think about that?
I think this is a great idea and I will support including it in the official client.

Apologies if I posted this already - why can't we just add a check digit instead of changing the account number to alphabetti-spaghetti, not perfect but i would catch the majority of errors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luhn_algorithm

notsoshifty

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 11:42:14 PM

NXTarea.com went public!

My new site NXTarea.com is now open for everyone! Smiley

We have an online wallet and a big link list. I redirected CoinArea.net to the new site as well. The faucet was dry for several days already and nobody is willing to donate. That's why the faucet goes offline and won't come back. Use wesley's one. Wink

Currently I am developing a few small games and a place to promote NXT businesses. Let me know if you have nice ideas. Smiley

On the one hand, we're referring to a public NRS instance as "online wallet", and on the other we're trying to drill into people the idea that their passphrase is to be taken with them to the grave. Does not compute!

An auditably secure online wallet (a la blockchain.info) would really drive nxt adoption. Anyone able to do this? Any bounties to support it?
Passion_ltc

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Crypti Community Manager

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 11:50:53 PM

NXTarea.com went public!

My new site NXTarea.com is now open for everyone! Smiley

We have an online wallet and a big link list. I redirected CoinArea.net to the new site as well. The faucet was dry for several days already and nobody is willing to donate. That's why the faucet goes offline and won't come back. Use wesley's one. Wink

Currently I am developing a few small games and a place to promote NXT businesses. Let me know if you have nice ideas. Smiley

On the one hand, we're referring to a public NRS instance as "online wallet", and on the other we're trying to drill into people the idea that their passphrase is to be taken with them to the grave. Does not compute!

An auditably secure online wallet (a la blockchain.info) would really drive nxt adoption. Anyone able to do this? Any bounties to support it?

I'm not saying that people should use it as an online wallet. Wink See my quote:

Okay guys, my public node is running: 95.85.31.25

You can add it to your web.xml, it will run 24/7 and is also working as a Online Wallet under wallet.nxtarea.com:7874.

It's safe, but I wouldn't recommend to login at my online wallet. Maybe someone will hack into my vps and change the client. So use it at your own risk. You can check the blockchain there.

Something like blockchain.info would be huge! Smiley

mnightwaffle

Activity: 1002
Merit: 506

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 11:56:30 PM

Gang,

Would appreciate Chinese speakers looking this over for errors. Also, I know nothing about leading/kerning/spacing with Chinese characters and what's appropriate.

big image - snip

Also, full-size PDF is here

EDIT: sorry, forgot to credit Miramare from the nextcoin.org forum for supplying Chinese text.

There are more features without mention, for example, arbitrary message, voting system and so on.

Where is the original English text? Might make it easier for my friend to fix up the chinese if we have a comparison - only problem is she's not crypto inclined and it might be a little iffy making the proper connection (idk).

I noticed that if i saved with Notepad, and opened with Notepad to Copy/paste all was ok.
But if i opened .txt file (created with notepad) with Wordpad, i get those extra characters and the password is messed up.

just use jitbit autotext
bybitcoin

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 12:01:59 AM

Something like blockchain.info would be huge! Smiley
As I already discussed with ferment, it is quite possible to translate the current local java client code into javascript where all the private important data like passphrase, sigining.. would go inside the https encrypted browser based js code machinery and only the blockchain data would be placed outside the browser based process, either in the AppData part of the OS in JSON format, or be hosted in a public node.
The browser based code can securely (using ssl) communicate with the blockchain data either in AppData or hosted in the public node, and the blockchain would be updated by communicating to other nodes and the browser user-base.

In the first scenario (AppData) it would become a light js client, and in the second scenario (blockchain hosted in the public node) it would be a secure equivalent version of bitcoin blockchain.info wallet.

ferment had a look into the java code and informed me that this is quite possible.
Pages: « 1 ... 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 [849] 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: