Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:37:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Eligius miners aware of prayers in block headers?  (Read 29615 times)
AnnihilaT

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 10:33:51 AM

so who is going to disclose then? Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Emmanuel-SDRN

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 11:08:38 AM

As an atheist, I'm very sensitive to religious propaganda, and I can honestly say I see a LOT more Islam-related articles on the front page of my local newspapers website than anything else.  It almost seems as if mainstream media is bending over backwards to ingratiate the Muslim community.  Have you not seen this phenomena in your neck of the woods?

It is my experience that most do tread much more carefully when the issue is Islamic in nature. While I have my theory on why it is so, I shall refrain as it would perhaps be inappropriate and offensive to some.

arsenische
Legendary

Activity: 1199
Merit: 1012

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 12:22:57 PM

I think we should be tolerant to Luke-Jr's religious propaganda (even though I don't like it).  I think Luke-Jr tries to make the world better, and we should respect that, not all of us do.

On the other hand I agree with Graet: the mining pool users deserve to know that they are not only mining for bitcoins, but are also supporting Catholicism. Their views could be incompatible with supporting Catholicism, so it would be honest to make it explicit.

Fletch

Activity: 168

I'll have a steak sandwich and a... steak sandwich

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 12:35:39 PM

I think Luke-Jr tries to make the world better
I'm convinced he does. We just have widely different opinions on what "better" means.

HashPeak - GPU mining hashrate peak detector
BTC: 1FLETCHvcUKosefrcZCLUQTtvx4WvgnYMC
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 01:31:26 PM

Hmm. What happened here?

Indeed...  tin foil hat time...  what did we miss?  You dont have to release details but please tell us the gist?  Exploit in lukes pool or with bitcoin?
He asked what was to stop a certain attack against Bitcoin rendering it unusable by the average Joe. There really is nothing to stop it, so we agreed it was best kept quiet.

AnnihilaT

Activity: 210

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 02:08:17 PM

Hmm. What happened here?

Indeed...  tin foil hat time...  what did we miss?  You dont have to release details but please tell us the gist?  Exploit in lukes pool or with bitcoin?
He asked what was to stop a certain attack against Bitcoin rendering it unusable by the average Joe. There really is nothing to stop it, so we agreed it was best kept quiet.

Luke-Jr,  Please tread very carefully with this one... Security thru obscurity is NO security at all.... if there is no defense against this i sure hope the whole bitcoin dev teams knows about this and are working on it as we speak...  can you comment on that?   Its really not good form to keep these things private.   Who does it affect? Users?  Miners? Pool Operators? Everyone? Some disclosure needs to be done so that people can protect themselves depending on what type of vulnerability we are talking about.

I really dont think this should be kept completely quiet.  SOME information needs to be disclosed!
strictlyfocused

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 02:25:19 PM

Luke-Jr,  Please tread very carefully with this one... Security thru obscurity is NO security at all.... if there is no defense against this i sure hope the whole bitcoin dev teams knows about this and are working on it as we speak...  can you comment on that?   Its really not good form to keep these things private.   Who does it affect? Users?  Miners? Pool Operators? Everyone? Some disclosure needs to be done so that people can protect themselves depending on what type of vulnerability we are talking about.

I really dont think this should be kept completely quiet.  SOME information needs to be disclosed!

This x 1000

Ill mine regardless of block header content, but if this isnt handled properly I will jump ship from Eliguis without hesitation and Im sure others would do the same. Ideally Luke-Jr would be respectable about disclosing WTF is going on to prevent a mass exodus of his service.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 02:35:23 PM

Indeed...  tin foil hat time...  what did we miss?  You dont have to release details but please tell us the gist?  Exploit in lukes pool or with bitcoin?

Luke-Jr,  Please tread very carefully with this one... Security thru obscurity is NO security at all.... if there is no defense against this i sure hope the whole bitcoin dev teams knows about this and are working on it as we speak...  can you comment on that?   Its really not good form to keep these things private.   Who does it affect? Users?  Miners? Pool Operators? Everyone? Some disclosure needs to be done so that people can protect themselves depending on what type of vulnerability we are talking about.

I really dont think this should be kept completely quiet.  SOME information needs to be disclosed!
It only potentially interferes with less competent computer users from using Bitcoin. There are no security implications for actual usage.

dayfall

Activity: 312
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 02:37:29 PM

but if Graet had noticed quotes from the Quran being quoted, would he have been so eager to post the same thread? 

My thoughts and subsequent actions would have been the same.
mog

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 03:01:28 PM

Great, that you are Catholic, but I would recommend studying your religion a bit more-- especially the Syllabus of Errors condemned by Pope Pius IX, and the dogma of Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus ("Outside the Church there is no salvation").

Really? I'd suggest YOU study your religion a bit more, perhaps you'd realize how the fuck to spell GENESIS correctly.

Nevermind the fact that it was actually started with political propaganda in the Genesys block by Satoshi himself, setting a clear and undeniable precedent.

Graet (OP)
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2011, 12:52:26 AM

but if Graet had noticed quotes from the Quran being quoted, would he have been so eager to post the same thread? 

My thoughts and subsequent actions would have been the same.

To be very clear If anything that can offend anyone is put in blockheaders I would object it doesnt even have to be a prayer.

My original post was about whether a poolop had informed his miners of what he was doing (or keeping stuff secret) I never did get a yes or no answer, but from other peoples replies I can see it wasn't announced in a way that informed all miners on that pool and gave them a choice to participate or not.

My point (belief) that anyone is free to practice the religion of their choice seems to have been missed.

i thought this thread had been deleted, missed so much of the fun..... bit rude to move it without telling OP imo, but hey thats just my opinion...

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
Fakeman

Activity: 154

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 02:52:42 PM

In all the threads on this topic I haven't been able to find a quote of what exactly is in these block headers that is supposed to be so controversial, just a bunch of chat logs where this is alluded to. Maybe "I'm eating a big juicy hamburger" would offend some vegetarian miner somewhere, but chances are that person gets offended by a lot of things in life and perhaps even seeks out things to be 'offended' about. As long as there is nothing illegal or really nasty (e.g. advocating hatred/violence against some group of people) then I could give a rat's ass what's in there.

16wEsax3GGvJmjiXCMQUWeHdgyDG5DXa2W
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 03:03:59 PM

How about the string that Luke-Jr is a pedophile then, which is also in the block chain?! I consider this VERY nasty, personally offensive and advocating hatred not just against him but (presumably) all members of the catholic church, as this seems to be the root cause for this accusation.

Maybe they talked about pools not relaying transactions? Something that is currently not encouraged or enforced - and actually hurt any pool, if they relay valuable transactions elsewhere.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 03:08:15 PM

How about the string that Luke-Jr is a pedophile then, which is also in the block chain?! I consider this VERY nasty, personally offensive and advocating hatred not just against him but (presumably) all members of the catholic church, as this seems to be the root cause for this accusation.

Maybe they talked about pools not relaying transactions? Something that is currently not encouraged or enforced - and actually hurt any pool, if they relay valuable transactions elsewhere.
OP is just saying that LukeJr must tell miners that Eligius put prayers in the blockchain
So...nothing to do with that

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 03:12:30 PM

How about the string that Luke-Jr is a pedophile then, which is also in the block chain?!
That one is actual spam, and can never be deleted/pruned. (as opposed to my text, which is all coinbases: designed for short text messages, and can be deleted/pruned immediately)

OP is just saying that LukeJr must tell miners that Eligius put prayers in the blockchain
So...nothing to do with that
No, OP is just trolling. Miners don't do anything with the prayers. As one person put it, this is like complaining that a burger restaurant prints Bible verses on its sandwich wrappers.

Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 03:36:17 PM

In all the threads on this topic I haven't been able to find a quote of what exactly is in these block headers that is supposed to be so controversial, just a bunch of chat logs where this is alluded to. Maybe "I'm eating a big juicy hamburger" would offend some vegetarian miner somewhere, but chances are that person gets offended by a lot of things in life and perhaps even seeks out things to be 'offended' about. As long as there is nothing illegal or really nasty (e.g. advocating hatred/violence against some group of people) then I could give a rat's ass what's in there.
http://pident.artefact2.com/block/000000000000052f8e747189e44e60212976b830f49cf6aedd3feec50571a566

Fakeman

Activity: 154

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 03:49:15 PM

Nice.

16wEsax3GGvJmjiXCMQUWeHdgyDG5DXa2W
Chris Acheson

Activity: 266
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 06:59:03 PM

In all the threads on this topic I haven't been able to find a quote of what exactly is in these block headers that is supposed to be so controversial, just a bunch of chat logs where this is alluded to.

Here:

Can we have links to a few blocks of Eligius to see this ourselves?

Output of "strings -n 20 .bitcoin/blk0001.dat":

Code:
EThe Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks
z+o>z+o>z+o>z+o>z+o>
z+o>z+o>z+o>z+o>z+o>
z+o>z+o>z+o>z+o>z+o>
z+o>z+o>z+o>z+o>z+o>
z+o>z+o>z+o>z+o>z+o>
z+o>z+o>z+o>z+o>z+o>
=ybegin line=128 siz
e=8776 name=bitcoin.
***2*.+D*/***+***h+E
*/***+***p+R*-***+*,
**+[*,***;***x******
0010/211133246>76556
C<=}9>GDIHGDFFJNXQJL
VMFFRaSVZ[^^^IQcgb\f
KFK\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
+/++++++********+,-.
DPQRST_`abcdmnopqrst
*>{o*>{o*>{o*>{o*>{o
---BEGIN TRIBUTE---
#./BitLen           
:::::::::::::::::::
:::::::.::.::.:.:::
:.: :.' ' ' ' ' : :
:.:'' ,,xiW,"4x, ''
:  ,dWWWXXXXi,4WX, 
' dWWWXXX7"     `X,
 lWWWXX7   __   _ X
:WWWXX7 ,xXX7' "^^X
lWWWX7, _.+,, _.+.,
:WWW7,. `^"-" ,^-' 
 WW",X:        X,   
 "7^^Xl.    _(_x7' 
 l ( :X:       __ _
 `. " XX  ,xxWWWWX7
  )X- "" 4X" .___. 
,W X     :Xi  _,,_ 
WW X      4XiyXWWXd
"" ,,      4XWWWWXX
, R7X,       "^447^
R, "4RXk,      _, ,
TWk  "4RXXi,   X',x
lTWk,  "4RRR7' 4 XH
:lWWWk,  ^"     `4 
::TTXWWi,_  Xll :..
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
LEN "rabbi" SASSAMA
     1980-2011     
Len was our friend.
A brilliant mind,   
a kind soul, and   
a devious schemer; 
husband to Meredith
brother to Calvin, 
son to Jim and     
Dana Hartshorn,     
coauthor and       
cofounder and       
Shmoo and so much   
more.  We dedicate 
this silly hack to 
Len, who would have
found it absolutely
hilarious.         
--Dan Kaminsky,     
Travis Goodspeed   
P.S.  My apologies,
BitCoin people.  He
also would have     
LOL'd at BitCoin's 
new dependency upon
   ASCII BERNANKE   
:'::.:::::.:::.::.:
: :.: ' ' ' ' : :':
:.:     _.__    '.:
:   _,^"   "^x,   :
'  x7'        `4,   
 XX7            4XX
 XX              XX
 Xl ,xxx,   ,xxx,XX
( ' _,+o, | ,o+,"   
 4   "-^' X "^-'" 7
 l,     ( ))     ,X
 :Xx,_ ,xXXXxx,_,XX
  4XXiX'-___-`XXXX'
   4XXi,_   _iXX7' 
  , `4XXXXXXXXX^ _,
  Xx,  ""^^^XX7,xX 
W,"4WWx,_ _,XxWWX7'
Xwi, "4WW7""4WW7',W
TXXWw, ^7 Xk 47 ,WH
:TXXXWw,_ "), ,wWT:
::TTXXWWW lXl WWT: 
----END TRIBUTE----
Eligius/Benedictus Deus. Benedictum Nomen Sanctum eius.
Eligius/Benedictus Deus. Benedictum Nomen Sanctum eius.
Benedictus Iesus Christus, verus Deus et verus homo.
Benedictum Nomen Iesu.
   I LIKE TURTLES   
Benedictum Cor eius sacratissimum.
Benedictus Sanguis eius pretiosissimus.
Benedictus Iesus in sanctissimo altaris Sacramento.
Benedictus Sanctus Spiritus, Paraclitus.
C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER
Benedictus Sanctus Spiritus, Paraclitus.
Benedicta excelsa Mater Dei, Maria sanctissima.
Benedicta sancta eius et immaculata Conceptio.
Benedicta sancta eius et immaculata Conceptio.
Benedicta eius gloriosa Assumptio.
Benedictum nomen Mariae, Virginis et Matris.
Benedictum nomen Mariae, Virginis et Matris.
Benedictus sanctus Ioseph, eius castissimus Sponsus.
Benedictus Deus in Angelis suis, et in Sanctis suis. Amen.
In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti. Amen.
O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee and I detest all my sins...
O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee and I detest all my sins...
Eye'm the strongest!
...because of Thy just punishments, but most of all because they offend Thee, ...
...my God, who art all good and deserving of all my love.
I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy grace, to sin no more...
I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy grace, to sin no more...
...and avoid the near occasions of sin. Amen.
O my God! I firmly believe that Thou art one God in three Divine persons, ...
O my God! I firmly believe that Thou art one God in three Divine persons, ...
...Father, Son, and Holy Ghost; I believe that Thy Divine Son became man, ...
...and died for our sins, and that he will come to, judge the living and the dead.
I believe these and all the truths which the Holy Catholic Church teaches, ...
...because Thou hast revealed them, who canst neither deceive nor be deceived.
O my God! relying on Thy infinite goodness and promises, ...
...I hope to obtain pardon of my sins, the help of Thy grace, ...
...and life everlasting, through the merits of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Redeemer.
...and life everlasting, through the merits of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Redeemer.
O my God! I love Thee above all things, with my whole heart and soul, ...
...because Thou art all-good and worthy of all love.
...because Thou art all-good and worthy of all love.
Yukkuri Shiteitte ne
I love my neighbor as myself for the love of Thee.
I forgive all who have injured me, and ask pardon of all whom I have injured.
O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of Hell, ...
...lead all souls to Heaven, especially those in most need of Thy mercy.
I confess to Almighty God, to blessed Mary ever Virgin, ...
... to blessed Michael the Archangel, to blessed John the Baptist, ...
... to the holy Apostles Peter and Paul, and to all the Saints, ...
... that I have sinned exceedingly, in thought, word, and deed, ...
... through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault.
Therefore I beseech blessed Mary ever Virgin, blessed Michael the Archangel, ...
... blessed John the Baptist, the holy Apostles Peter and Paul, ...
... and all the Saints to pray to the Lord our God for me. Amen.
St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle; be our safeguard against ...
St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle; be our safeguard against ...
... the wickedness and snares of the Devil. May God rebuke him, ...
... we humbly pray, and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, ...
... by the power of God, cast into Hell, Satan and all the other evil spirits, ...
... who wander throughout the world, seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.
Angel of God, my guardian dear, to whom His love commits me here, ...
... ever this night be at my side, to light and guard, to rule and guide. Amen.
Ave Maria, gratia plena, Dominus tecum. Benedicta tu in mulieribus, ...
... et benedictus fructus ventris tui, Iesus. Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ...
... ora pro nobis peccatoribus, nunc, et in hora mortis nostrae. Amen.
Salve, Regina, mater misericordiae: vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra, salve.
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Hevae. Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes ...
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Hevae. Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes ...
... in hac lacrimarum valle. Eia, ergo, advocata nostra, illos tuos ...
... misericordes oculos ad nos converte. Et Iesum, benedictum fructum ...
... ventris tui, nobis post hoc exsilium ostende. O clemens, O pia, ...
... O dulcis Virgo Maria. Ora pro nobis, sancta Dei Genetrix.
kLhLUKE-JR IS A PEDOPHILE! Oh, and god isn't real, sucka. Stop polluting the blockchain with your nonsense.
Ut digni efficiamur promissionibus Christi. Amen.
Pater noster, qui es in caelis, sanctificetur Nomen tuum. Adveniat regnum tuum.
Pater noster, qui es in caelis, sanctificetur Nomen tuum. Adveniat regnum tuum.
Fiat voluntas tua, sicut in caelo et in terra. Panem nostrum quotidianum ...
... da nobis hodie, et dimitte nobis debita nostra sicut et nos dimittimus ...
... debitoribus nostris. Et ne nos inducas in tentationem, sed libera nos a malo.
Domine Iesu Christe, Filius Dei, miserere me peccatorem!
Sanae is a good girl
We adore Thee, O Christ, and we bless Thee;
We adore Thee, O Christ, and we bless Thee;
because by Thy holy Cross Thou hast redeemed the world.
May the Holy Trinity be blessed.
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 10:39:41 AM

Just spotted this conversation in #bitcoin yesterday afternoon:

17:53 < luke-jr> people should be hostile toward false religions and homosexuals, at least
17:53 < graingert> luke-jr: why homosexuals?
17:53 < luke-jr> graingert: same reason people should be hostile to serial killers
17:53 < graingert> luke-jr: because homosexuals go round killing people?
17:53 < luke-jr> worse
17:58 < Blitzboom> what’s worth than murder, homosexuality?
17:59 < Blitzboom> worse*
17:59 < noagendamarket> Apparently it is Blitzboom
17:59 < graingert> Blitzboom: someone who is luke-jr:gay is someone who is worse than a serial killer
17:59 < luke-jr> Blitzboom: yes

Sigh.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 02:16:41 PM

Just spotted this conversation in #bitcoin yesterday afternoon:

17:53 < luke-jr> people should be hostile toward false religions and homosexuals, at least
17:53 < graingert> luke-jr: why homosexuals?
17:53 < luke-jr> graingert: same reason people should be hostile to serial killers
17:53 < graingert> luke-jr: because homosexuals go round killing people?
17:53 < luke-jr> worse
17:58 < Blitzboom> what’s worth than murder, homosexuality?
17:59 < Blitzboom> worse*
17:59 < noagendamarket> Apparently it is Blitzboom
17:59 < graingert> Blitzboom: someone who is luke-jr:gay is someone who is worse than a serial killer
17:59 < luke-jr> Blitzboom: yes

Sigh.

Must be trolling, I can't believe Luke-Jr actually wrote those.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: