Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 10:32:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 [369] 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Catcoin - Scrypt meow!  (Read 470666 times)
zerodrama

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:19:26 AM

Kuroman, the channel is not private, all are welcome there. We use it because the forums are somewhat clumsy for brainstorming. They aren't really conducive to real time conversation. We make a point of posting completed ideas to the forums for review. Please join us using kiwiirc or something if you like. We're most definitely trying to be as transparent as possible.

If he were so worried about transparency, he would have showed up. But he would rather read everything over Morse code and sip his tea instead of participating.

Forums. Are. Too. Slow.
If you care about the issues, come to the chat.

Stop assuming there's a conspiracy.

If you think forums are the only way to discuss all issues, please update your universe to 2014.

EASY CALCULATION FOR TRADES: 1 Million is 1x10e6. 1 Satoshi is 1x10e-8. 1 M sat is 1x10e-2. 100 M sat is 1. If 1 herpcoin = 100 derptoshi then
1 M herpcoin @ 001 derptoshi = 0.01 derpcoin, 1 M herpcoin @ 100 derptoshi = 1.00 derpcoin
Post Scarcity Economics thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3773185
hozer

Activity: 271
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 04:15:07 AM

Well, not so good news. We got coin jumped again.

Good news: I think we have a dev team and some people motivated to fix stuff.

And finally, remember.

Stupid never sleeps
SlimePuppy

Activity: 657
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:16:52 AM

If he were so worried about transparency, he would have showed up. But he would rather read everything over Morse code and sip his tea instead of participating.

Forums. Are. Too. Slow.

If you think forums are the only way to discuss all issues, please update your universe to 2014.
News flash, Ace - I've read every single post in this thread and have been mining CAT since 26 Dec.  Earlier TODAY is the first time I've seen anything about the additional IRC channels.  The only channel I'd seen referenced prior to today was ##catcoin which I've wasted a number of hours wondering why it exists (in other words, wasn't JACK happening there!).

So - what we have here is a significant communications problem made worse by the assumptions of those on the 'inside' that they're sufficiently communicating with the rest of us.

Thanks again to Maverick for filling us in.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=380130.msg4475976#msg4475976

I suggest from now on that the board select one person to communicate with us 'little people'.  That'll help us understand what's going on, and it'll hopefully rein-in some of the off-target back and forth that hurts the image of this coin and her community - and is chasing away miners and investors.  
kuroman

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:37:41 AM
Last edit: January 13, 2014, 06:23:04 AM by kuroman

So everyone has to tiptoe for months around one change? You can vote by not mining with the fork.

Why should it take a month? , how did you come to that conclusion ? Like I said before 2 weeks is more of a realistic time lap, and I'd rather do things in 2 weeks with the majority bleassing rather than rushing and destroying the coin, and this point has been mentioned before, and facts has been presented against your point and for reference I would like to point you to previous posts, rather than wasting everyones time with the same conversation over and over again.

If you think slowing down a project so even Forrest Gump can keep up is the solution go ahead.

I'm going to make my modifications and I will tell you the block number where they will be ready to TEST.

You think this is like some UN meeting or a class discussion. The longer it takes, the more we bitch about meaningless things.

Slowing down? Aren't we repeating our self again? Aren't you tired of doing this ? Well I am, my point is clear, expressed for at least a dozen of times and I want things to move on in a cooperative way.

And to conclude with your modification and block number thing well here is my opinion : do whatever you want you are free, but be ready to face some resistance with the risk of destroying the coin, if you want to do things your way.

Or maybe because I live in Europe and my last reply before I left was at 2AM, knowing that I had to wake up at 5:20am to do more productive things in my life rather than repeating the same thing over and over again on a forum. So no I didn't get a chance to get to the IRC Channel. And I remind you that alot of us just got informed of the existance of some pseudo IRC channel different than #catcoin on which you guys are on.

Forums. Are. Too. Slow.

I don't understand the reasons of your agreesive criticizim and on a personal degree nontheless, your passive agressive attacks are getting ridiculous not to mention you are building your own assumption over someones else reply while my comment is clear and just a few centimiters above, so please stick to the point, we are here to discuss Catcoin and how to help it growth, not to attack each others on a personnal degree.

#catcoin is the irc channel we should use .........

Also I prefere that this thread be used as a reference, it's a mean of communication on it self, slow I give you that but it's a good way to have traceability and thus if there is something important to discuss that require instant messaging, I'm up to it and have no problem with that, and it would be nice to join a public chat channel............

And the quote above proves again how wrong you are. And if you are man enough, I would like to see some apologies for your behaviour and false assumptions.
zerodrama

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:59:56 AM

##catcoin which I've wasted a number of hours wondering why it exists (in other words, wasn't JACK happening there!).

Nothing was happening because people were fighting on the forum instead of talking in chat.

So - what we have here is a significant communications problem made worse by the assumptions of those on the 'inside' that they're sufficiently communicating with the rest of us.

The communication problem is that forums are like snail mail to the North Pole. Only get a response once a year.

I suggest from now on that the board select one person to communicate with us 'little people'.

First you say transparency, now you want gatekeeping messengers (ALL MESSENGERS ARE GATEKEEPERS). Which is?

That'll help us understand what's going on, and it'll hopefully rein-in some of the off-target back and forth that hurts the image of this coin and her community - and is chasing away miners and investors.  

Or maybe a bunch of people can come to chat and things will move along much faster. What hurts the community is using the wrong tool to communicate and spending half the energy compensating for the failures. Entropy is a bitch.

EASY CALCULATION FOR TRADES: 1 Million is 1x10e6. 1 Satoshi is 1x10e-8. 1 M sat is 1x10e-2. 100 M sat is 1. If 1 herpcoin = 100 derptoshi then
1 M herpcoin @ 001 derptoshi = 0.01 derpcoin, 1 M herpcoin @ 100 derptoshi = 1.00 derpcoin
geokilla

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 05:37:42 AM

Wait what's happening? Another fork is incoming? Is that why CAT is worthless?
skillface

Activity: 210

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 05:39:19 AM

Wait what's happening? Another fork is incoming? Is that why CAT is worthless?

No, we're just discussing and testing at the moment.

Though the last few pages may have spooked a large holder of CAT into selling earlier today.
zerodrama

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 06:34:38 AM

Why should it take a month?

1. Chatrooms don't usually function well when people post whole term papers as responses.
2. Responses come from several people at once without one or two talking overst each other.
3. Chatrooms don't need refresh
4. Read back through the forums versus ask questions and get answers

wasting everyones time with the same conversation over and over again.

More time is wasted typing and retyping long screeds. By comparison, chat is lightweight and repetition is much less of a nuisance.

Slowing down? Aren't we repeating our self again? Aren't you tired of doing this ? Well I am, my point is clear, expressed for at least a dozen of times and I want things to move on in a cooperative way.

Cooperation means people actually participating. Not debating about what how others should participate. Forums fail. Chatrooms rule.

And to conclude with you modification and block number thing well here is opinion : do whatever you want you are free, but be ready to face some resistance with the risk of destroying the coin, if you want to do things your way.

How is there a threat to the coin if I DELIBERATELY SAID I would NOT impose on the coin?

do more productive things in my life rather than repeating the same thing over and over again on a forum.

Forums are the bottleneck. The only place that gets it right is reddit because it has both chat and forum tendencies.

So no I didn't get a chance to get to the IRC Channel. And I remind you that alot of us just got informed of the existance of some pseudo IRC channel different than #catcoin on which you guys are on.

Freenode is weird. They expect you to be some kinda org or entity to use single # names. So it becomes ##. Odd.

vondi1122

Activity: 826

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 07:13:52 AM

What's up?

MoozicoreWORLDS FIRST MUSIC STREAMING SERVICE ON BLOCKCHAIN

█████                     █████
  ███████                   ███████
  ███████       █████       ███████
  ███████      ███████      ███████
   █████        █████        █████
fr33th

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 07:25:37 AM

So I finished working on the CAT faucet only to learn that it's having some bad time. Anyway I hope cat will make through it and continue the journey to the moon. And not because I hold many CAT (I actually have 0), but because I love cats and have put effort into creating a website.

So smart guys, please, resolve the issue and bring back the good old CAT. I have some cool ideas, which I want to put on websites soon Smiley

P.S. The faucet is here: http://www.moonrace.tk
vondi1122

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 07:53:17 AM

So I finished working on the CAT faucet only to learn that it's having some bad time. Anyway I hope cat will make through it and continue the journey to the moon. And not because I hold many CAT (I actually have 0), but because I love cats and have put effort into creating a website.

So smart guys, please, resolve the issue and bring back the good old CAT. I have some cool ideas, which I want to put on websites soon Smiley

The website is hilarious, but I dont know what it does. Can someone explain? And btw the network hashrate is dead low again?

fr33th

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 08:19:35 AM

The website is hilarious, but I dont know what it does. Can someone explain? And btw the network hashrate is dead low again?

It's simple, more you donate to the faucet, closer the "CatShip" gets to the moon. I guess I should put some explanation there Smiley
Yes, hashrate is low again, but there is a team working on it. They are planning how to get it back up.
Nullu

Activity: 532

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 09:08:35 AM

You seriously need to create a thread for this. Cat vs Doge to the Moon  Cheesy

Well, it should come as no surprise that the price has come down after recent heavy discussions. It's not a dramatic drop though, and most of the drops recently have been market confidence. I hope that it will come back up.

We have to remember that the coin is still only has 21 million total supply, and the difficulty will adjust to reflect the hashrate and market. I think Catcoin has the potential to bounce hard if the difficulty drops too low. Influx of coins would flood the market, and I would hope that we would get price competition going up, rather than going down. People know Catcoin used to fetch a high price.

I don't think right now we can expect Cat to just steadily raise in value. I think we may have to just let this happen. The coin's specs are no different than a few others I've seen. It's this thread that's had more of an impact than anything else. The truth is, we don't know what will happen if the hashrate drops very low on a coin with only 21 million total supply. Unless someone has any examples.

Leaving the coin as it is, right now, is far less risky than another fork. We can't fix this. Not right now. Attempting to seriously risks killing the coin. The exchanges would only accept one, or neither. Not both. Logically, the least risky thing to do is to leave the coin as it is. Things get too excited in here. We're trying to analyse a market that we're actually influencing. We're biasing our own results. No matter how smartly we think about this, we're basically changing the measurement as we measure it. Any conclusion we come to therefore is immediately tainted, and therefore unreliable.

People have a lot invested in Cat. Serious money. I'm sorry, but we cannot so cavalier about this. Unless you have thousands of pounds/dollar invested in Catcoin, then you can't possibly understand the ramifications your actions may have. If the coin fails, it fails. But let it be on investor's heads. Not on yours. The coin is either going to crash or it's going to soar, and right now we are doing more harm than good by trying to change it again.

The coin needs time. At least give it a few weeks. We need to get back to promoting the coin. We've lost sight of that.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
dotnetmin

Activity: 756

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 09:43:38 AM

I also think it needs time. Hashrate will adjust itsself once price will soar a bit.
Risk is if hashrate will fall and fall, there will be no more longer transactions possible.
After price is falling down soo much there should not be soooo much early miners out there with a lot of coins to dump.
People who buys in won´t sell at this level even they want to cut their loss.
At some time it doesent matter if you lose 75% or 90% as long as there is a chance of recover.
vondi1122

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 09:52:39 AM

You seriously need to create a thread for this. Cat vs Doge to the Moon  Cheesy

Well, it should come as no surprise that the price has come down after recent heavy discussions. It's not a dramatic drop though, and most of the drops recently have been market confidence. I hope that it will come back up.

We have to remember that the coin is still only has 21 million total supply, and the difficulty will adjust to reflect the hashrate and market. I think Catcoin has the potential to bounce hard if the difficulty drops too low. Influx of coins would flood the market, and I would hope that we would get price competition going up, rather than going down. People know Catcoin used to fetch a high price.

I don't think right now we can expect Cat to just steadily raise in value. I think we may have to just let this happen. The coin's specs are no different than a few others I've seen. It's this thread that's had more of an impact than anything else. The truth is, we don't know what will happen if the hashrate drops very low on a coin with only 21 million total supply. Unless someone has any examples.

Leaving the coin as it is, right now, is far less risky than another fork. We can't fix this. Not right now. Attempting to seriously risks killing the coin. The exchanges would only accept one, or neither. Not both. Logically, the least risky thing to do is to leave the coin as it is. Things get too excited in here. We're trying to analyse a market that we're actually influencing. We're biasing our own results. No matter how smartly we think about this, we're basically changing the measurement as we measure it. Any conclusion we come to therefore is immediately tainted, and therefore unreliable.

People have a lot invested in Cat. Serious money. I'm sorry, but we cannot so cavalier about this. Unless you have thousands of pounds/dollar invested in Catcoin, then you can't possibly understand the ramifications your actions may have. If the coin fails, it fails. But let it be on investor's heads. Not on yours. The coin is either going to crash or it's going to soar, and right now we are doing more harm than good by trying to change it again.

The coin needs time. At least give it a few weeks. We need to get back to promoting the coin. We've lost sight of that.

Let's not wreck it, my .02 $.

Nullu

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 10:44:44 AM

I also think it needs time. Hashrate will adjust itsself once price will soar a bit.
Risk is if hashrate will fall and fall, there will be no more longer transactions possible.
After price is falling down soo much there should not be soooo much early miners out there with a lot of coins to dump.
At some time it doesent matter if you lose 75% or 90% as long as there is a chance of recover.

If the price falls, so will the hashrate, then the difficulty. Transaction times aren't a problem any more because of the change to the coin. As hashrate drops less hashrate is needed to mine Catcoins. This is what the official fork corrected.

We do not need to worry about transaction times now. Period. As long as it least 1 person mines it, but realistically many more will continue to mine Catcoin as long as this thread remains active.

zerodrama

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 11:52:31 AM

If the price falls, so will the hashrate, then the difficulty. Transaction times aren't a problem any more because of the change to the coin. As hashrate drops less hashrate is needed to mine Catcoins. This is what the official fork corrected.

We do not need to worry about transaction times now. Period. As long as it least 1 person mines it, but realistically many more will continue to mine Catcoin as long as this thread remains active.

It's not falling. It's cycling. This isn't organic. It's a few people using it as a tennis ball. Anyways, I am going to make a test fork called HARDCOIN, no pools, etc.

Nullu

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 11:56:22 AM

It's not falling. It's cycling. This isn't organic. It's a few people using it as a tennis ball. Anyways, I am going to make a test fork called HARDCOIN, no pools, etc.

Look at the monthly chart on Cryptsy. Don't look at day trades. The price is falling.

etblvu1

Activity: 213

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 12:52:10 PM

Look at the monthly chart on Cryptsy. Don't look at day trades. The price is falling.

Minor nit-picky point, but it is impossible to know what is happening in the marketplace in the present because at any time we may be in the beginning of a major new rise in prices. So if evidence is based on historical graphs, it would be more accurate to say "has been falling" rather than "is falling."

There is clearly a limit to how far this coin can fall - it's not like the coin is being minted like fiat currency without limit. Have we found bottom? Nobody knows, but a lot of people are betting we are pretty close to it (that is why they are buying).

Etblvu1
janos666

Activity: 588

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 01:21:18 PM
Last edit: January 13, 2014, 01:39:00 PM by janos666

I think that the current code is more than good enough for now. May be it's far from perfect. But which coin is perfect? (I guess none, not even BTC, or LTC, or any of them out there at this moment. No coin will ever be perfect, if not only for a short moment and/or in simulations...)

And sure, anybody is free to think about long term future possibilities and even propose hard fork ideas, even right now (ah, well, even I posted my own idea about a diff retarget algorithm).
But I don't think it needs any immediate fix(es). Simply because it is NOT broken!

What we see now is a monotonically falling price and monotonically falling network hash rate combination.
And even if you might think (and/or [want to] believe) otherwise, this meas that the code itself works as intended!
The hash rate and the price are in sync, as they should be. So, no problem there (in the code). At least none I can see right now and would need immediate workarounds or fixes.

So, the coin code is NOT broken, thus it does NOT need a hotfix (long term improvement plans, may be, but not a fix, and definitely not a HOTfix).

If we could agree about this and we could put aside this constant hard fork rushing festival, just for a moment, then we might let ourself see the actual and real problem(s) which effect us directly right now.

And I think that's very simple: It's the marketing.

Please let's not forget that hard fork festivals and constant authority wars definitely will NOT paint a good image!

May be we should agree (with a wide vote or something) about some ground rules like who and when can speak things like * it's official *, so people aren't constantly confused and scared about what might happen in the next moment around CAT coin. (I think it's absolutely understandable if this drives everybody away of the coin. I am constantly scared myself about this, so I do know!)

Everybody needs to calm down, or be calmed down.

And most importantly, we should try to bring back the attention of people to CAT!

We need everybody: every miners (YES, EVERY MINERS, even if you think they try to kill the coin by hopping in and out), every investors (YES, even those who always try to buy the cheapest coins), traders (even if you think they just want to rub you with their deals), people with marketing ideas, and generally anybody who ever liked this coin, or just is about to picks his favorite coin.

I think if we can show that CAT is strong and solid enough again, then both the network hash rate and the price can possibly start to rise.
Day by day, mBTC by mBTC, slowly but steadily.

May be it won't hit 0.001 again in just a few weeks, but I believe it could definitely be on pair with DOGE in profitability and hash rate (yes, you know, those things come together or neither is possible) during a relatively short period if time. And that will be a good enough state. A peaceful time to think and plan the long term future which might eventually rise this coin above DOGE and the like. But if nothing else, CAT will survive.

I don't think I can say anymore about how I see this coin now.
(And for that matter, I don't think I should be the one to try and post "speeches" like this because English is not my native language and I am relatively new in this whole game.)
And I want to make it clear that these are only my subjective opinions and they are far from being something like "official" or anything.
And I won't fight for anything, so don't point your guns and knives to my throat just yet. LOL. I am ready loose the full amount of BTC I invested into CAT. I just hope (and wish) it won't come to that. Smiley

By the way, may be I will launch a new coin a few days from now, only with a single purpose: to show how a coin with a micromanaged difficulty retarget and bad marketing might fail on the market after a HUGE initial hype (I think I have the recipe for that). LOL. Grin
Pages: « 1 ... 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 [369] 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 »
  Print  

Jump to: