Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 11:12:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Get Donator status by donating 10 BTC  (Read 138756 times)
Liam W

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2013, 04:08:10 PM

I intend to add new, cheaper donator ranks. I won't decrease the price of the old ranks, though I may rename them (to "Donator+" and "VIP+" or something like that).

Well, you'll certainly be in the money, which makes me wonder why you still use a free forum software. I much prefer vBulletin *hint hint*.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 05:02:04 PM

I still don't see why anyone would donate at all. Apparently those funds aren't actually being used for anything.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 05:21:07 PM

At the time we did not know that.
It makes me glad I refrained. I haven't donated either to this forum or to BF because I wasn't clear how the money would be used and haven't yet been presented with a reason to regret the decisions.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 02:12:17 PM

I intend to add new, cheaper donator ranks. I won't decrease the price of the old ranks, though I may rename them (to "Donator+" and "VIP+" or something like that).

Senior VIP maybe?

Are the new ranks' price going to be variable or adjusted every x days or months depending on BTC price?

What do you think about pegging the price of the rank to something more reliable than a fiat currency but less volatile than BTC? I saw one guy here couple of months ago selling his ebooks for BTC pegged to the price of gold (don't remember the exact amount).

Signature space available for rent.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 02:20:06 PM

Do new donator statuses take into account that it only cost about $10 to $20 for some of the older donators to get their current status, and it would currently take about $800 for current people to buy the same status? One can just as easilly argue the opposite of what was proposed, that NOT lowering the price of a donator status is unfair to all the newcommers as opposed to being unfair to those who donated previously.
Not that I plan to donate; just my 0.0002BTC
Liam W

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 02:24:37 PM

Do new donator statuses take into account that it only cost about $10 to $20 for some of the older donators to get their current status, and it would currently take about $800 for current people to buy the same status? One can just as easilly argue the opposite of what was proposed, that NOT lowering the price of a donator status is unfair to all the newcommers as opposed to being unfair to those who donated previously.

Exactly my thinking. Very unfair.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 03:00:34 PM

Welcome to life!
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 03:22:55 PM

50 BTC = 50 BTC

The price was and still is 50 BTC. When I donated the 50 BTC I expected the 50 BTC to be well over $10,000 USD in 4 to 5 years but I still donated because I thought I was helping the community.

50 BTC  :/

This forum is about BTC. Trying to argue "But... but... fiat!" wont get you very far with many.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to argue with fiat, I was trying to argue with value.

Two years ago, 50 BTC = 3 to 5 hour's labor - appreciation due to time - risk
Today, 50 BTC = 40 to 80 hour's labor

So, yes, you took a bigger risk, and have forgone future appreciation, but your initial input into getting those 50BTC took nowhere near the effort that it would take for someone to get those same 50BTC now. I'm almost certain that a vast majority of those 50BTC's used for donations were bought using fiat earned from whatever labor exchange rate the donators had in their respective locations. And the only argument you have to stand on is that 37 to 75 hours of labor is worth not having to wait two years, and not having to take on risk (or, conversely, that waiting two years and taking on risk is worth about 1 to 2 weeks of labor).

Don't forget, you are also trying to argue against deflation, and a parallel to your argument would be something like:
"These people buying their 50" LCD TVs RIGHT NOW should get worse quality TVs for their $500, because I bought mine for $1,000 A YEAR AGO, and it would only be fair to make them get crappier TVs for the cheaper price."
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5138
Merit: 12565

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 03:49:17 PM

I said a long time ago that the prices would remain the same, so I can't change this policy now in any case.

Are the new ranks' price going to be variable or adjusted every x days or months depending on BTC price?

Maybe. I haven't thought about it much yet. The forum doesn't need donations, so I'm not going to create another donator level soon.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Liam W

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 03:58:24 PM

I said a long time ago that the prices would remain the same, so I can't change this policy now in any case.

Actually, you can. There's nothing stopping you.
Liam W

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 03:58:46 PM

Welcome to life!

Life should be fair, and anything that makes it not so should be eradicated.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 04:06:09 PM

The forum doesn't need donations, so I'm not going to create another donator level soon.

Agreed. But what about things like VIP status? Something that people can buy to prove they're not here with just some easily discarded troll account, and wish to project some level of standing or reputation? I guess maybe just linking to an OTC account would work, but the link would have to be somewhat permanent, since anyone can stick anyone else's OTC rating into their signature file, and then wipe it again once things on their account here go south.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 04:17:23 PM

Welcome to life!

Do you come on the forums just to try and cause arguments?
Liam W

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 04:18:24 PM

Welcome to life!

No, it just sort of happens (on almost every forum I go on) unfortunately Sad
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 06:13:14 PM

Welcome to life!

I definitely encourage you to pay exactly BTC10 for your Donator tag, can't you see how well it suits me?  Cheesy

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Liam W

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 06:19:47 PM

Welcome to life!

I definitely encourage you to pay exactly BTC10 for your Donator tag, can't you see how well it suits me?  Cheesy

Oh, and are you willing to send me BTC10 so I can donate Wink

Seriously, 15 year olds don't really have much of an income Wink
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 06:24:25 PM

Welcome to life!

I find it funny you want to donate away money that you don't have  Cheesy

Try joining a political party!  Grin

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Liam W

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 06:26:01 PM

Welcome to life!

I find it funny you want to donate away money that you don't have  Cheesy

Try joining a political party!  Grin

Oh, who said I was going to donate anything Wink

I might, if the cost was in my range. I should probably [not] mention that I get around £20 ~ £30 a month from Android app development Wink
LeTanque

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

Fortune favors the bold and brave

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 10:21:33 PM

Quote from: liamwli

Hi liamwli,

You sound like quite the idealist.  I was once an idealist and it suited me well. Around the time, I was close to your age; 15 years old. I, like yourself, thought I knew everything.

Now, I'm not going to disagree with you but I wanted to share something I learned after more than double the amount of years you have lived. It's what changed my idealist ways:

There are no "supposed-to's" in life, no "should-have's". There are no promises, no guarantees, and you are entitled to nothing but what you get for yourself.  Life is the furthest thing from fair you can imagine. You are worth nothing but that which you create and/or give away for free. 

You are the sole provider; without your efforts, nothing will come of your years. No one is responsible for you but you.  Even your best efforts may not render your imagined results.  Get over it. Your expectations will RARELY meet reality. Learn to work with that, adapt, i-ching or whatever bullshit. Choose yourself, and only count on yourself.

In advance, sorry for the "off-topic" post. I agree with the philosophical stance of pegging the btc amount to itself. This is bitcointalk, totally understandable.  Of course, without any incentive, I won't be donating. I think that's a natural reaction, even from the most feverent members.

"It is a mistake to suppose that any technological innovation has a one-sided effect. Every technology is both a burden and a blessing; not either-or, but this-and-that." -Neil Postman Technopoly
1FooDLuTYk782GQNrY7zY1obTc4ceUfj5t
Liam W

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 10:45:28 PM

Quote from: liamwli

Hi liamwli,

You sound like quite the idealist.  I was once an idealist and it suited me well. Around the time, I was close to your age; 15 years old. I, like yourself, thought I knew everything.

Now, I'm not going to disagree with you but I wanted to share something I learned after more than double the amount of years you have lived. It's what changed my idealist ways:

There are no "supposed-to's" in life, no "should-have's". There are no promises, no guarantees, and you are entitled to nothing but what you get for yourself.  Life is the furthest thing from fair you can imagine. You are worth nothing but that which you create and/or give away for free. 

You are the sole provider; without your efforts, nothing will come of your years. No one is responsible for you but you.  Even your best efforts may not render your imagined results.  Get over it. Your expectations will RARELY meet reality. Learn to work with that, adapt, i-ching or whatever bullshit. Choose yourself, and only count on yourself.

In advance, sorry for the "off-topic" post. I agree with the philosophical stance of pegging the btc amount to itself. This is bitcointalk, totally understandable.  Of course, without any incentive, I won't be donating. I think that's a natural reaction, even from the most feverent members.

You sound like... I don't know who you sound like but nice post.

(You should've seen me a year ago...)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: