Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:08:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 [109] 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Intellectual Property - In All Fairness!  (Read 105836 times)
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 06:53:13 PM

So you reckon the movie industry would do just fine if they removed the copyright notices from all their works?  Nothing would leak and everyone would just play nicely.

Can you guess how much of an effect those notices have had on me to stop me from making copies (backups) of those movies? Please guess!

How many movie theaters do you show your "backups" in?  What do you charge for the tickets?  What percentage do you pay the movie maker?

I'm guessing the answers all have lots of zeros  Shocked

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2011, 07:04:36 PM

So you reckon the movie industry would do just fine if they removed the copyright notices from all their works?  Nothing would leak and everyone would just play nicely.

Can you guess how much of an effect those notices have had on me to stop me from making copies (backups) of those movies? Please guess!

How many movie theaters do you show your "backups" in?  What do you charge for the tickets?  What percentage do you pay the movie maker?

You just repeated my point. I don't show my backups in theaters, because the quality sucks, and everyone by they has already seen the movie. I do at times pay theaters to see good movies on a big screen, and I also show my own copies of movies to friends on my home theater system for free. Though na lot of those movies they have also seen and paid for in movie theaters previously.

But, again, PLEASE guess how well those copyright notices work at stopping me from copying or showing my movies to peopl. Please? I mean, you just seem SO confident that they are the reason movies aren't copied all over the place, and I so want to shoot down your point!
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 07:08:30 PM

...snip...

You just repeated my point. I don't show my backups in theaters, because the quality sucks, and everyone by they has already seen the movie. I do at times pay theaters to see good movies on a big screen, and I also show my own copies of movies to friends on my home theater system for free. Though na lot of those movies they have also seen and paid for in movie theaters previously.

But, again, PLEASE guess how well those copyright notices work at stopping me from copying or showing my movies to peopl. Please? I mean, you just seem SO confident that they are the reason movies aren't copied all over the place, and I so want to shoot down your point!

If you are not stopping the movie maker getting paid by the movie theater, what's the problem? 
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2011, 07:18:05 PM

...snip...

If you are not stopping the movie maker getting paid by the movie theater, what's the problem? 

But I am! I am WILDLY violating copyright laws by copying every movie I own, sometimes even many times when my network storage makes multiple copies! Can't you see how that is destroying the movie industry and making the movie maker not be able to get paid and cover the millions it takes to make his movies?
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 07:24:44 PM

...snip...

But I am! I am WILDLY violating copyright laws by copying every movie I own, sometimes even many times when my network storage makes multiple copies! Can't you see how that is destroying the movie industry and making the movie maker not be able to get paid and cover the millions it takes to make his movies?

Sarcasm - lowest form of wit.  Run out of rational arguments?
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 07:27:30 PM

...snip...

Sarcasm - lowest form of wit.  Run out of rational arguments?

No, patience.

And I think that your humor bone is broken.  Mockery is a high form of wit.  The lowest form of humor is either fart sounds or lawyers.  Hard to say.

BTW, he was definately mocking you.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 07:31:11 PM

Well we should see plenty movies being made without IP protection then?  No change of the law needed. 

Well we should see plenty of cotton being picked without slaves then? No change in law needed.

Seriously, you make this too easy.

Every argument you've come up with for IP law is just as good an argument for slavery. No, the same is not true for all arguments, just the awesome ones you've made.
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 07:54:01 PM

Well we should see plenty movies being made without IP protection then?  No change of the law needed. 

Well we should see plenty of cotton being picked without slaves then? No change in law needed.

Seriously, you make this too easy.

Every argument you've come up with for IP law is just as good an argument for slavery. No, the same is not true for all arguments, just the awesome ones you've made.

You mentioned that several times now.  Just because an argument can be used to justify slavery does not mean the argument is wrong. 

I assume this repeating stuff that has already been refuted is your way of saying you lost the argument but will carry on posting anyway.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 08:01:41 PM

Just because an argument can be used to justify slavery does not mean the argument is wrong. 

Just stop and read that again.

I assume this repeating stuff that has already been refuted

Wait, is there someone else in this thread that I can't see?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 08:05:11 PM

Just because an argument can be used to justify slavery does not mean the argument is wrong. 

Read it again.  Its still true.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 08:06:26 PM

Maybe.

It's still immoral, also.

Red

Activity: 210
Merit: 111

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 08:14:43 PM

And I think that your humor bone is broken.  Mockery is a high form of wit.  The lowest form of humor is either fart sounds or lawyers.  Hard to say.

LMAO! If I had a sig that would be in it! Woot!
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2011, 08:19:46 PM

Mockery is a high form of wit. 

... Wit what?
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 08:23:20 PM

Mockery is a high form of wit. 

... Wit what?

Wit a wiffle bah bat!

Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 08:39:50 PM

Maybe.

It's still immoral, also.

The law that forbids you stealing other people's car could also be used to justify slavery.  Is it immoral to forbid theft?
BitterTea

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 08:51:39 PM

The law that forbids you stealing other people's car could also be used to justify slavery.

I've been waiting for this. If it could be used to justify slavery, please show us how.

*grabs popcorn*
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 08:54:10 PM

The law that forbids you stealing other people's car could also be used to justify slavery.  Is it immoral to forbid theft?

Let me guess, because slaves are property right?

Red

Activity: 210
Merit: 111

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 09:17:32 PM

Let me be the first to say that slavery is wrong!

Except with robots. I will be the first to own robot slaves. Who's with me!

Screw digital sentience and whatever moron decides that is a beneficial feature to invent. But trust me, someone will invent it. And he is going to screw things up for all of us!

<Honest Troll Post> Just wanting to see who bites!
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 09:22:24 PM

The law that forbids you stealing other people's car could also be used to justify slavery.

I've been waiting for this. If it could be used to justify slavery, please show us how.

*grabs popcorn*

I wonder if he is sitting at his computer right now, with a response box open, trying to figure out what just happened.

BitterTea

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 09:25:31 PM

Let me be the first to say that slavery is wrong!

Except with robots. I will be the first to own robot slaves. Who's with me!

Screw digital sentience and whatever moron decides that is a beneficial feature to invent. But trust me, someone will invent it. And he is going to screw things up for all of us!

<Honest Troll Post> Just wanting to see who bites!

I think my test for application of the NAP toward robotic life would be the same as organic life. The NAP applies if it (does or is able to) reciprocate in applying the NAP to me.

So... roomba? Slave.

Cow equivalent sentience? Questionable.

Human equivalent sentience? Free.
Pages: « 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 [109] 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 »
  Print  

Jump to: