Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:29:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Intellectual Property - In All Fairness!  (Read 105836 times)
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2011, 02:06:11 PM

There is no invitation to join - you inherited the citizenship.  You may not agree with where the money goes but its up to you to change the system.  There isn't really a way to opt out/move away but that's the limit of the analogy rather than of the logic.

Isn't that the problem libertarians are trying to find a solution for? Is your agrument now "there are no libertarian places out there, you live in a Democratic government society, so just buck up and deal with it?"

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
AyeYo

Activity: 154
Merit: 103

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 02:23:16 PM
Last edit: September 29, 2011, 02:49:00 PM by AyeYo

There is no invitation to join - you inherited the citizenship.  You may not agree with where the money goes but its up to you to change the system.  There isn't really a way to opt out/move away but that's the limit of the analogy rather than of the logic.

Isn't that the problem libertarians are trying to find a solution for? Is your agrument now "there are no libertarian places out there, you live in a Democratic government society, so just buck up and deal with it?"

No one said just deal with it.  If you don't like it, change it.  Currently, the vast majority of society has VOLUNTARILY decided that it does NOT want what you're selling, which brings us back to my question that no one wants to answer.  

HOW do you plan on changing it without being a hypocrite at the same time?

Quote from: AyeYo
So which is it?  Are you going to bring about change by forcing it on people via violence (just like the state that you hate!) or are you going to win over a majority through superior reasoning and arguments (which will still result in your forcing your opinion on the minority, thus concluding that libertarianism is hypocritical and contradictory no matter what way you slice it, as I've said in a million threads before, you can't make EVERYONE happy ALL the time, thus you will ALWAYS have to suppress at least some people via threat of violence)?

Enjoying the dose of reality or getting a laugh out of my posts? Feel free to toss me a penny or two, everyone else seems to be doing it! 1Kn8NqvbCC83zpvBsKMtu4sjso5PjrQEu1
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 02:39:23 PM

I hope you do live in a democratic society.   Its a pleasant alternative to dictatorship.

A lot of the arguments here seem to assume that there is some way to have a revolution, start from scratch and create a new society.  Since we can't do that, it would make more sense to work on how you want the existing one to work better.
FredericBastiat

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 04:39:14 PM

I hope you do live in a democratic society.   Its a pleasant alternative to dictatorship.

A lot of the arguments here seem to assume that there is some way to have a revolution, start from scratch and create a new society.  Since we can't do that, it would make more sense to work on how you want the existing one to work better.

Same wolf in sheep's clothing, perhaps slightly less lethal.

http://payb.tc/evo or
1F7venVKJa5CLw6qehjARkXBS55DU5YT59
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 05:00:23 PM

Same wolf in sheep's clothing, perhaps slightly less lethal.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/30/world/middleeast/bahrain-court-hands-down-harsh-sentences-to-doctors-and-protesters.html?ref=middleeast&pagewanted=print

Exactly the same apart from the oppression, torture, disappearance of opposition activists, killing of peaceful demonstrators and imprisonment of medics for treating injured civilians.

Really, grow up.  Where do you live that compares to that?
FredericBastiat

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 05:16:16 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/30/world/middleeast/bahrain-court-hands-down-harsh-sentences-to-doctors-and-protesters.html?ref=middleeast&pagewanted=print

Exactly the same apart from the oppression, torture, disappearance of opposition activists, killing of peaceful demonstrators and imprisonment of medics for treating injured civilians.

Oppression: check (how many US laws can make us criminals, as opposed to before?). Torture: check (Guantanamo). Disappearance of opposition activists: check (kept on the low-down). Killing of peaceful demonstrators: check (oops, it was just an accident, righhhht...). Imprisonment of medics: check (FDA going after alternative medicine doctors)

Now I know the above isn't as blatant as dictatorial regimes but pain is still pain, dead is still dead, despite the delivery method. It's always a means to an end. The only thing the US cares about is it's reputation, whereas other dictatorships only care about maintaining their position of power for as long as possible before the next coup d'etat.

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 05:28:16 PM

Sorry I don't get where you get from a stolen video player to people owning you, your spouse or your children.  And as I said, comparing society, which is inherited by and large, with a group of friends playing a video game, which is voluntary by and large, doesn't make sense to me.  You can leave the group and it hurts no-one. Refuse to pay taxes and it does affect other people.

We'll get there, but we have to start somewhere.  Do you own your own person?  Is your life wholely your own?  If so, can you give it away, like you can a physical object that you rightly own?  Can someone else rightly take it from you against your will, if you have caused neither them, nor anyone that they might represent, any real harm?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
AyeYo

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 05:42:11 PM

Anybody interested in responding to my question yet?  It was first asked 30+ pages ago.

Enjoying the dose of reality or getting a laugh out of my posts? Feel free to toss me a penny or two, everyone else seems to be doing it! 1Kn8NqvbCC83zpvBsKMtu4sjso5PjrQEu1
AyeYo

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 05:45:31 PM

Oppression: check (how many US laws can make us criminals, as opposed to before?). Torture: check (Guantanamo). Disappearance of opposition activists: check (kept on the low-down). Killing of peaceful demonstrators: check (oops, it was just an accident, righhhht...). Imprisonment of medics: check (FDA going after alternative medicine doctors)

Now I know the above isn't as blatant as dictatorial regimes but pain is still pain, dead is still dead, despite the delivery method. It's always a means to an end. The only thing the US cares about is it's reputation, whereas other dictatorships only care about maintaining their position of power for as long as possible before the next coup d'etat.

If you ever open your eyes and we're able to move off of these ridiuclous topics like you handing out nukes to terrorists, you'll realize that most of us are very against the exact actions you've just described.

But in the world of color (not your black/white alternative universe), the fact that the system is flawed doesn't mean it needs to be totally cast out.  The fact that current first-world government is mostly corrupt, doesn't mean that government in and of itself is an inherently bad concept.

Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 05:47:05 PM

Sorry I don't get where you get from a stolen video player to people owning you, your spouse or your children.  And as I said, comparing society, which is inherited by and large, with a group of friends playing a video game, which is voluntary by and large, doesn't make sense to me.  You can leave the group and it hurts no-one. Refuse to pay taxes and it does affect other people.

We'll get there, but we have to start somewhere.  Do you own your own person?  Is your life wholely your own?  If so, can you give it away, like you can a physical object that you rightly own?  Can someone else rightly take it from you against your will, if you have caused neither them, nor anyone that they might represent, any real harm?

Google Definition for ownership: the relation of an owner to the thing possessed; possession with the right to transfer possession to others

Do you own your own person? Your person is not a thing you can possess and it can't be transferred.  Therefore it can't be owned.

Is your life wholly your own?  You may decide to end your life.  Society may decide you are depressed and stop you.  So that makes the answer No.  

Can someone else rightly take your life from you against your will?  Yes.  Should they ? In my opinion, only to prevent future harm.  If you represent a future danger and death is what it takes to stop you, then even if you have done no harm, bring on the sword of death.

Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 05:48:38 PM

...snip...

If you ever open your eyes and we're able to move off of these ridiuclous topics like you handing out nukes to terrorists, you'll realize that most of us are very against the exact actions you've just described.

But in the world of color (not your black/white alternative universe), the fact that the system is flawed doesn't mean it needs to be totally cast out.  The fact that current first-world government is mostly corrupt, doesn't mean that government in and of itself is an inherently bad concept.

Fred is trolling or he has lost all grip on reality.  Either way, you won't get anywhere feeding his delusional posts.
NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2011, 05:52:59 PM

the fact that the system is flawed doesn't mean it needs to be totally cast out

You mean like your fantasy objections to libertarianism?
FredericBastiat

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 05:55:10 PM

I never started the nuke topic. The world is very colorful, no doubt. I just believe that libertarianism can handle more problems, more eloquently and more equitably than the state who has a monopoly on force can.

How do you think the government got where it is now? It was given(extirpated) a privilege no one else had the right to delegate. They took away the consent to be governed.

AyeYo

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 05:59:53 PM

There's a difference between fixable flaws cropping up in implimentation (due to human nature) and inherent, systemic flaws in the idealogy itself.

FredericBastiat

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 05:59:58 PM

Fred is trolling or he has lost all grip on reality.  Either way, you won't get anywhere feeding his delusional posts.

I may have said some things that were out of line. I can redact some of those. I probably wouldn't have erred as much if it hadn't been for me answering some of the crazy illogical and nonsensical fallacies you put forth. So I apologize for stepping on some of your "land mines". I should be more careful where I step.

FredericBastiat

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 06:03:45 PM

There's a difference between fixable flaws cropping up in implimentation (due to human nature) and inherent, systemic flaws in the idealogy itself.

And you even have a system? Oh wait, it's whatever you can convince society to sign off on. Flaws? Of course not, every things going perfectly as planned, I just need more tax revenue.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 06:15:49 PM

Anybody interested in responding to my question yet?  It was first asked 30+ pages ago.

Haven't seen it.  It was probably trolling anyway.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2011, 06:17:09 PM

You mean like concentrating power in the hands of a few people and hoping the bad guys won't make a grab for it and abuse it?
AyeYo

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 06:17:34 PM

Haven't seen it.  It was probably trolling anyway.

Must be blind, because I quoted it right on this page.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 06:20:39 PM

Google Definition for ownership: the relation of an owner to the thing possessed; possession with the right to transfer possession to others

Do you own your own person? Your person is not a thing you can possess and it can't be transferred.  Therefore it can't be owned.

You are most certainly a physical object.  Human history suggests that the concept of ownership of particular humans is deeply ingrained in humanity, for good or bad.

Is your life wholly your own?  You may decide to end your life.  Society may decide you are depressed and stop you.  So that makes the answer No.  

Can someone else rightly take your life from you against your will?  Yes.  Should they ? In my opinion, only to prevent future harm.  If you represent a future danger and death is what it takes to stop you, then even if you have done no harm, bring on the sword of death.

So you don't own you, then.  So who does?  As noted above, someone owns you.  Either you own you, or society does; so which is it?  Are you your own, or are you slave to the collective?  It pretty much answers itself, because there can be no middle ground.

Pages: « 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 »
  Print  

Jump to: